Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

galaxy

Veteran
2B52A7E8-9169-4819-9BB3-A52A5F498D37.jpeg
Rode into Town yesterday. We’d decided to cook a Thai Green Curry and make some Onion Bhajis Walking past a Antique shop I see the above magazines for sale. I was tempted but as I’d rode in didn’t have the room to carry back.
Still. 11 mile circular route. Then lunch and gardening time

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Despite having a few beers last night I was out just after 9 this morning before any windy stuff arrived.
It was gloomy and a steady light rain was falling.
The weather hadn’t put people off, there were plenty out on bikes.

Not a lot of wildlife, the best bird was a hovering kestrel.
Lots of scented blossom on the air.

16 damp miles

BC577BD8-2A5E-4976-8EB7-27B39EFB1F1E.jpeg

https://www.strava.com/activities/2187806680

galaxy

Veteran
Despite having a few beers last night I was out just after 9 this morning before any windy stuff arrived.
It was gloomy and a steady light rain was falling.
The weather hadn’t put people off, there were plenty out on bikes.

Not a lot of wildlife, the best bird was a hovering kestrel.
Lots of scented blossom on the air.

16 damp miles

View attachment 455652

https://www.strava.com/activities/2187806680
I’ve bottled it today. Just watched a group ride up the lane. In the rain.

Mike_P

Guru
Ebike this morning after redoing the rear gear cable as it has been sticking. My fault, I had threaded it through the extra cable guides to avoid the motor without using an outer and although it initially was okay it was now jamming on the joints between the two halves of the guides. So combined ebike test and shopping trip to Lidl on the far side of Knaresborough making use of NCN636, where apart from one couple who muttered something about not hurrying out of the way ( er, just stand to the side) it was dogs and youngsters on bikes without road sense who were the main hazards. Typically despite the gears changing okay with bike on a stand in the yard changing to the highest was problematic and then coming back up the steep Beryl Burton Way section of the NCN the chain overshot the lowest. Back home low and high screws adjusted, bike locked away, walked into the kitchen and a cloud burst occurred - good timing that:rolleyes:
14.7 miles, 906 assisted ft.

delb0y

Legendary Member
I came as close to total exhaustion as I ever have. Most of the last 35 miles were straight into the teeth of a strong headwind, and the bit between Bredon Hill and the line of the Cotswold Hills was like a wind tunnel.

I thought of you guys on the "Ramble" yesterday. I'd looked at the forecast and saw the wind was due to get stronger all day. It was one of the reasons I went out early (the other was that the dog got me up at 5:00), but even so, by 11:00 it was quite fierce. And that was just heading back from Dymock. 7:00 is a great time. Well done.

colly

Re member eR
After farting and faffing about with stuff all morning (including buggering up my laptop keyboard) l got out around midday.
I was definitely under-enthused, if that is a word, but made the most of a ride up to East Keswick and back via Moortown Corner and Shadwell Lane.
All in it was about 18 miles and l felt better for it.
Cold and started to rain while l was out but nowt to shout about.

I can't upload my Garmin stuff or post a map because of my previously mentioned ham-fistedness.
Ive ordered a new keyboard which, it seems, is easy to fit.

I guess l will find out.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Just nipped around the block on SWMBO'd Brompton to maintain the ride a day challenge. Sorry but too bloomin' windy to ride to work today, or rather home from work, against the wind.

Cycled to the local tram stop to catch the #15 tram, about 2.5k.

Realise that it is the school holidays so the #15 only runs to the Ruhbank stop, several stops closer to Stuttgart.

Make comment about this in vernacular Anglo-Saxon.

Pedal further through a couple of intervening towns, thankfully on cycleways so I don't get snarled up with the rush hour traffic.

Catch the same tram as I would otherwise have caught with 6 minutes to spare.

Arrive at work, get told I should be on holiday and to push off.

Push off.

13 rider

Guru
So today was the day new bike day :hyper:.Having spent most of last summer dithering wether to and what new bike I missed the nice weather so it was put on the back burner. After many trips to my Lbs a straight upgrade to another giant defy was ruled out due to me not liking the gearing my thoughts turned to a TCR . After a test ride last month the deal was done last week . Julie's cycles did me a good deal on bike and accessories recievied a text while out riding on Sat that it's ready . By the time I'd got home got to the shop and had a quick fit by the time I got home the weather had turned for the worst so ride delay ,Sunday was rainy day so not wanting to get my new shiny bike wet today was my first chance to ride it . Out the door at 0930 in to blustery condition worrying about the deeper section wheels ,which proved to be a lot less twitchy than expected . Did a standard 50km loop out to St Bernards Abbey. This loop contains a bit of everything climbing ,quick descents ,flats and a few technical bits so a good test of the bike . A mile in and I'm smiling^_^ what a ride . The bike passed every test with flying colours and I'm a happy bunny ^_^. Because of the wind it's quite hard to compare but it just feels fast . Position tweaking will begin but set up not far off . 32 miles bagged so another 50km ride done at 16.1 mph with out really pushing it and thanks to dry roads the bike still shiny
IMG_20190304_121328227_HDR.jpg

Blatant new bike shot .looking forward to many more miles

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
So today was the day new bike day :hyper:.Having spent most of last summer dithering wether to and what new bike I missed the nice weather so it was put on the back burner. After many trips to my Lbs a straight upgrade to another giant defy was ruled out due to me not liking the gearing my thoughts turned to a TCR . After a test ride last month the deal was done last week . Julie's cycles did me a good deal on bike and accessories recievied a text while out riding on Sat that it's ready . By the time I'd got home got to the shop and had a quick fit by the time I got home the weather had turned for the worst so ride delay ,Sunday was rainy day so not wanting to get my new shiny bike wet today was my first chance to ride it . Out the door at 0930 in to blustery condition worrying about the deeper section wheels ,which proved to be a lot less twitchy than expected . Did a standard 50km loop out to St Bernards Abbey. This loop contains a bit of everything climbing ,quick descents ,flats and a few technical bits so a good test of the bike . A mile in and I'm smiling^_^ what a ride . The bike passed every test with flying colours and I'm a happy bunny ^_^. Because of the wind it's quite hard to compare but it just feels fast . Position tweaking will began but set up not far off . 32 miles bagged so another 50km ride done at 16.1 mph with out really pushing it and thanks to dry roads the bike still shiny
View attachment 455847
Blatant new bike shot .looking forward to many more miles
Nice bike! Great looking bike. Glad she rides as well as she looks. :okay:

You have the same saddle bag as me :becool:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
An observation: idiots get noticeably more aggressive when it's windy - within two minutes, I had three drivers drive straight at me, at speed, along a section single-track road near Felixstowe, today. (Ironically, I was out that way inspecting possible bridleways so as to by-pass that slice of road in the future when out on Patsy #3 The CX. ^_^)

I got home in one piece.

This at Lexington, looking towards Felixstowe docks:-

photo 1.JPG

TigerT

Veteran
My ride yesterday was a new one for me. I’m looking for a new route with good coffee stops at around 100kms that can be extended. Yesterday was my first attempt.

I started by heading out to Winterthur on a route I’ve done many times. From there I headed down the Töss valley and onto the new part of the ride.

From Turbenthal I took Route 53. This is marked as ‘Middle’ for the fitness requirement- This is normally a warning that it’s actually going to be quite hard! It was for me - long steady climbing up through Bauma and Wald, finally getting to Gibswil where it all became worthwhile for the view.

The climb was actually ok, except it was pretty windy but knowing there was a pretty nice descent coming up then a tailwind all the way home made it feel better.

After a while just sitting staring at the mountains in the distance I started a fast descent down to Rapperswil. There was practically no traffic and the route was mostly well signposted.

I arrived in Rapperswil cold and hungry, so Coffee, Toasted Cheese and carrot cake was consumed eagerly, then it was time to head home. Lots of options for future extensions, but I took the shortest back to Zürich, through the City Centre and up the hill to home.

Will definitely do the route again, but in Summer when the snow has cleared and it’s less windy. But a good day out and another 117kms travelled.

5F3B583C-6DFA-48A9-B67D-35C8B7DC863F.jpeg
Still quite snowy on the way up, but the cycle path had been cleared
945A697C-2379-4E2D-8111-A4CEE8D88C6E.jpeg
Enjoying the view at the top
D68B3B38-0EFA-43A6-9F8E-AE7A8389ADF4.jpeg
And the map

Last edited:
Top Bottom