Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

delb0y

Legendary Member
Had a bash at a ride from the Wales Lost Lanes book called Daffodil Dreaming. I was a few weeks early to see all the glorious daffodils, although there were a few out. But it was a lovely ride - 46.5 miles / 2000 feet. Set off before first light and was home late morning. Bit tough on the way back as it was my first long ride of the year and a vicious (well, it felt vicious. Maybe disheartening would have been a better description!) wind rose up. Did get to have a wander round a church that was 1000 years old, give or take a few, and enjoy a slippery moment or two along the banks of an isolated part of an old canal. Legs ache now.

Bike In Front of Fence.jpg

Canal Restoration.jpg

Daffs.jpg
St Edwards.jpg

St Marys 2.jpg

St Marys 3.jpg

St Marys.jpg

St Mary's.jpg

Vineyard.jpg
White Van.jpg

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Set off west on Penny Pot Lane on the road bike with remounted Go Pro; it turned out that the part that has broke last Sunday was an extension piece I had put between the Go Pro mount and the handlebar attachment rather than the mount itself. Did this morning drive along the section of the A59 where the Go Pro had gone flying and the rear wheel punctured and that section looks to be unfit for cycling unless you are at least in the middle of the westbound lane.
Was wondering exactly where to go, which answered itself when I glanced down and the old missing water bottles trick had reoccurred:banghead: So with short ride determined turned off north east to Kettlesing Head for brief north west dash amongst the traffic on the A59 to the next right, except there was no traffic so possibly the easiest right turn done on that road since last years closure of part of it.
A59KH.jpg

Semi circular route around Menwith Hill and back south across the A59 at Dangerous Corner to head back east on Penny Pot Lane.
14.55 miles, 598 ft climbed avg 13.4mph.

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Having spotted that @dave r seems to go to Hatton Locks a lot, both myself and @13 rider had been talking about riding there.

@13 rider planned a 80 mile round trip from Market Bosworth, which meant I would be on circa 107 miles if I rode direct to the start and back, mmmm might be a chance of a 200km.

Meet time was 8am, so I set off at 5:45 to get enough miles in for the 200km, dressed for the expected cold

Straight south into a light wind and no rain saw me do 31 miles to Market Bosworth, where @13 rider was already waiting, took the rain jacket off and shoved it in the back pocket along with the buff. Couple of minutes later @Lilliburlero turns up.

We set off with Hatton Locks about 40 miles away. The direction for the first 20 miles was roughly south westerly, straight into the wind, but though it was noticeable it didn't feel particularly strong. The next 20 miles being roughly southerly before turning west and north for the last few miles t the cafe stop. The route was very much either going up or going down. We went down some rough roads and some fantastically surfaced roads.

At the cafe stop the sun had come out, so jacket off, woolly hat off and we sat outside for drinks and bacon/sausage sandwiches.

After the stop it was pretty much north back to Market Bosworth and we enjoyed a strengthening wind on our backs. AT Market Boswoth @Lilliburlero went one way and @13 rider and myself another, watched @13 rider disappear up the hill into Desford, he went that fast I might as well have been sat at the side of the road.

Shortly after we parted ways and I turned into the wind and up the hill through Kirby Muxloe, by the time I got to the top I was ready for a sugar rush, so stopped at a local shop for a couple of cans of coke, knocked one back and took the other home.

Finished the day on 124.6 miles (200.6km) with over 5600 feet of climbing.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2186226562

A few photos from the day:

A trig point spotted by @13 rider on the cafe wall:
IMG_0196.JPG

View of the Grand Union canal from the outdoor seating:
IMG_0197.JPG

@13 rider and @Lilliburlero trying to look cool and down with the youth. (The youth took the photo :tongue:)
IMG_0198.JPG

@13 rider: There are 21 locks stretching 2 miles!

Last edited:

Mrs M

Guru
A6FB5F4F-9929-479C-9639-7F0936E707E6.jpeg
7DC489A6-53B9-453E-996C-3079C5A38F1E.jpeg
ED36601F-B6EA-4C59-9E26-B969F0F1DF75.jpeg
B18CECFE-3F88-4979-89FE-25E28B813DC4.jpeg
A lovely long toddle this morning with Mr M :smile:
Spring was really sprung (for a wee while anyway).
Snowdrops and colourful crocuses all around :wub:
A slight breeze but the sun on our backs felt lovely and warm :becool:
Stopped off for a wee rest and some lovely views at the local beach.
A house I’ve often admired is under offer (sold) up here.
Amazing views of our local beach, lucky new owner!

Had a bash at a ride from the Wales Lost Lanes book called Daffodil Dreaming. I was a few weeks early to see all the glorious daffodils, although there were a few out. But it was a lovely ride - 46.5 miles / 2000 feet. Set off before first light and was home late morning. Bit tough on the way back as it was my first long ride of the year and a vicious (well, it felt vicious. Maybe disheartening would have been a better description!) wind rose up. Did get to have a wander round a church that was 1000 years old, give or take a few, and enjoy a slippery moment or two along the banks of an isolated part of an old canal. Legs ache now.

View attachment 455524
View attachment 455525
View attachment 455526 View attachment 455527
View attachment 455528

View attachment 455529

View attachment 455530

View attachment 455531

View attachment 455532 View attachment 455533

I like those B&W images.

13 rider

Guru
Having spotted that @dave r seems to go to Hatton Locks a lot, both myself and @13 rider had been talking about riding there.

@13 rider planned a 80 mile round trip from Market Bosworth, which meant I would be on circa 107 miles if I rode direct to the start and back, mmmm might be a chance of a 200km.

Meet time was 8am, so I set off at 5:45 to get enough miles in for the 200km, dressed for the expected cold

Straight south into a light wind and no rain saw me do 31 miles to Market Bosworth, where @13 rider was already waiting, took the rain jacket off and shoved it in the back pocket along with the buff. Couple of minutes later @Lilliburlero turns up.

We set off with Hatton Locks about 40 miles away. The direction for the first 20 miles was roughly south westerly, straight into the wind, but though it was noticeable it didn't feel particularly strong. The next 20 miles being roughly southerly before turning west and north for the last few miles t the cafe stop. The route was very much either going up or going down. We went down some rough roads and some fantastically surfaced roads.

At the cafe stop the sun had come out, so jacket off, woolly hat off and we sat outside for drinks and bacon/sausage sandwiches.

After the stop it was pretty much north back to Market Bosworth and we enjoyed a strengthening wind on our backs. AT Market Boswoth @Lilliburlero went one way and @13 rider and myself another, watched @13 rider disappear up the hill into Desford, he went that fast I might as well have been sat at the side of the road.

Shortly after we parted ways and I turned into the wind and up the hill through Kirby Muxloe, by the time I got to the top I was ready for a sugar rush, so stopped at a local shop for a couple of cans of coke, knocked one back and took the other home.

View attachment 455541

View attachment 455542

@13 rider and @Lilliburlero trying to look cool and down with the youth. (The youth took the photo :tongue:)
View attachment 455543

To give you credit you did beat me up every other climb , 4 seconds of pr of 34 must have had a better lead out that day ,oh hang on that was you as well :shy:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Mrs 26 took the car to the meet in Upton. I rode! The gang had assembled. Mrs 26, Margaret PR, Steve E, Pete M, Jules H, John G and Rich B. I was the last to arrive. Steve called Pershore so it was the standard run again. Steve likes a blast but Rich does have to be sensible so we got stretched out at times. Usually on an up slope. No worries I hung back with Rich. Pershore arrived and we took to the Theatre cafe although Mrs 26 headed off to visit a friend.

The cafe is run by volunteers and they were having fun. The refreshments are good value too. We headed off up Holloway where Mrs 26 might meet us but it transpired she was still mid coffee with her friend. We took Pete's dodge (which is becoming standard) to cross Stonehall Common. John headed off for home as did Jules a bit later. The traffic backup from the roadworks is still occurring but again two wheels could beat the queue. Rich and Steve headed for their cars as Margaret headed home. That left Pete and I to ride back together. Mrs 26 turned up as we were saying our goodbyes so all was well that ended well. Today's wind was a tad of a challenge at times but otherwise not a bad outing at all. 43 smiles

D

Deleted member 1258

View attachment 455541

View attachment 455542

View attachment 455543

We'll done. When I first rode with the Coventry Road Club, about 1989, I rode with the family ride, on a Thursday there's a Road Club meet up at Hatton with people I knew and rode with in those days plus some friends of theirs, on a good Thursday there can be up to a dozen of us in there having a gossip, and their bacon sandwiches are lovely. There's another cafe about two miles past Hatton, at Hatton Country World, but it's expensive and the foods not as good, but it's a good place for a shopping trip.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly

View attachment 455524
View attachment 455525
View attachment 455526 View attachment 455527
View attachment 455528

View attachment 455529

View attachment 455530

View attachment 455531

View attachment 455532 View attachment 455533
I recognise all of those Churches. Lovely part of the world. St Mary's at Kempley is a lovely ancient spot. Oldest wooden roof in Europe (IIRC). Been in there many a time. The Black and White church pic is Upleadon while the other is the Arts and Crafts one in Kempley. (I think Kempley village must have moved over the 1000 years from St Mary's location to the present Arts and Crafts spot).

13 rider

Guru
We'll done. When I first rode with the Coventry Road Club, about 1989, I rode with the family ride, on a Thursday there's a Road Club meet up at Hatton with people I knew and rode with in those days plus some friends of theirs, on a good Thursday there can be up to a dozen of us in there having a gossip, and their bacon sandwiches are lovely. There's another cafe about two miles past Hatton, at Hatton Country World, but it's expensive and the foods not as good, but it's a good place for a shopping trip.
Hatton just happens to be a great distance from home for an imperial century ride . We will return . Just been talking to my Big sister and apparently I took my nephew's to Hatton country world years ago I had completely forgot . I can't believe I now cycle to places that seemed a good car journey away

D

Deleted member 1258

Hatton just happens to be a great distance from home for an imperial century ride . We will return . Just been talking to my Big sister and apparently I took my nephew's to Hatton country world years ago I had completely forgot . I can't believe I now cycle to places that seemed a good car journey away

Yes, they've got a farm there, if I remember correctly it's a touch expensive but a great place to take the kids, especially in the spring when it's full of baby animals. Have you used Hoar Park? Like the Book Farm it's a bit close to me but the cafe's OK.

delb0y

Legendary Member
I recognise all of those Churches. Lovely part of the world. St Mary's at Kempley is a lovely ancient spot. Oldest wooden roof in Europe (IIRC). Been in there many a time. The Black and White church pic is Upleadon while the other is the Arts and Crafts one in Kempley. (I think Kempley village must have moved over the 1000 years from St Mary's location to the present Arts and Crafts spot).

Spot on 26x25. The board at St Mary's explains that it was all about the high ground!

St Mary's Info.jpg

13 rider

Guru
Yes, they've got a farm there, if I remember correctly it's a touch expensive but a great place to take the kids, especially in the spring when it's full of baby animals. Have you used Hoar Park? Like the Book Farm it's a bit close to me but the cafe's OK.
No it's not an area we've explored before will Google it for future rides

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Got my Metric Century-a-Month Challenge ride in early this month. Paul from my cycling club accompanied me for this one, the 113km "Bill's Theocsbury Ramble" which basically did a figure of 8 route from Tewkesbury to Stratford upon Avon and back. Paul cycled the 15 miles to the start and rode home again at the end to make it an imperial century, putting my mere 71.8 mile ride in the shade.

I was glad of the company and the encouragement today, as I came as close to total exhaustion as I ever have. Most of the last 35 miles were straight into the teeth of a strong headwind, and the bit between Bredon Hill and the line of the Cotswold Hills was like a wind tunnel. Fortunately a second café stop in Gotherington demonstrated the miraculous fuelling properties of millionaire's shortbread, and I was able to put in something of a sprint finish. If any of you find yourselves in the vicinity of Bishops Cleeve, I can totally recommend the café in the Gotherington Stores. The new owner was just shutting up shop when we arrived, but was more than happy to let us in and serve us anyway. Friendly chat and a warm welcome for all cyclists, with a rack outside for you to hang your bikes by the saddles. Two coffees and two cakes for under a fiver too.

At the start today, I was surprised to meet a young guy called Sam from Newport, who is the first person my own size I've ever seen doing an audax. He looked to be about 6 foot 6 and said he was 22 stone. I'm about the same height and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm not about 21 stone by now too (though, ahem, don't tell anyone but I broke the scales last time I got on them, so I can't be sure!). Anyway, he overtook me for the last time about a quarter of the way back from Stratford and I didn't see him again. He was going like a diesel, and I just couldn't keep up. Mind you, he did have about 30 years on me.

Enjoyed the Stratford Greenway .... a strade bianchi type of smooth gravel track along the line of a former railway from Long Marston into Stratford upon Avon, avoiding the traffic. I'm going to have a hell of a job cleaning the bike tomorrow though. I've also got a repair to be made, as my rear mudguard broke in two going over a particularly rutted, pot-holed road with cattle grids and a level crossing. I wouldn't have thought a mudguard would be under such stress, but clearly it took a bit of a hammering today. Can't believe that was my 62nd ride of 62 miles or more (giving me an Eddington number of .... you've guessed it .... 62). I remember clearly my first 62 miler (metric ton) about 10 years ago when I nearly dropped off the bike at the end and vowed never to put myself through such torture again!

Some pictures:
(1) Proof of passage to Stratford (as Wetherspoons were unable to print receipts today):
19 Wetherspoons, Stratford (audax).JPG

(2) Stanton (one of my favourite villages) on the way back:
20 Stanton.JPG

(3) Back in Tewkesbury at the end of the ride:
22 Tewkesbury.JPG

(4) My 28th audax brevet card:
23 Another brevet card (Bill's Theocsbury Ramble).JPG

(45 minutes slower than last year, due to the wind).
I am really going to ache tomorrow!
Cheers, Donger

Last edited:
Top Bottom