Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
A rain free morning dawned! Have to ride, of course, and the only way away is down . . .

I have no idea just how steep that hill is, both you and I can see just how many different surfaces have to be ridden over and it is no secret that I have not yet ridden the bike up this grotty gradient. There is a joiner’s workshop close to the bottom, sort of bespoke IKEA but in Portuguese is the best way I can describe the work they do. Anyway, the boss recognises me from last year’s attempts at going up the hill, he had a good laugh with me this morning.

There follows a long stretch of level riding. This is along Beira Mar again ‘cos looking at maps last evening did not show me much at all. In England the ordnance survey really is a blessing. And I am not complaining about the ride. The scenery is rather amazing, the bike track is better than owt else I have seen, and it’s the beach as well. One of the many beaches, that is.

Pass yesterday’s turning point and the bike track ends. So far drivers around here are pretty good, I suspect my biggest problem is becoming familiar with riding on the right. Along to the next junction with the unusual traffic lights that decorate the roadsides here, and turn left onto R. Silva Jardim, which I did not realise heads towards and through the town centre. With a pretty poor road surface. Ah well, the only way to discover these things is to ride them. Back to Beira Mar and the confusion of crossing four lots of traffic travelling across where I wanted to go. Rough roads and fun as well! Eventually turn right on the cycle track to head towards home, realise I wanted to ride more so cross one of the dual carriageways again to head more or less south to an area I sort of know. There is a park there with resident alligators. But I had forgotten, bikes are not allowed. The alligators might be allergic to us or something. So about turn again and head home. Fourteen and a half miles, not counting pushing the bike up that hill. And reaching the top lit the smile anyway.

The map, I will be looking at more for myself. Oh! I had a ride arranged with the local Audax rider for tomorrow evening. Unfortunately we have a prior. The Audax man did a 300 kilometre one last Saturday. Cross the bridge to the mainland ( west ), turn south and ride the one and only road, turn around and complete the 300 k back to the island. I have travelled that road, in a car. I think the scenery would be more visible on a bike.

View attachment 454843

The state of the roads there reminds me of Devon.

pjd57

Veteran
strava8803481254112845330.jpg
had to go to Paisley this morning.
Beautiful weather so I varied the route home and followed a route along the back of Glasgow airport to Renfrew.
It's got a load of signs saying it's a cycle route but nothing else.
Long straight and narrow road.
Takes you to this
IMG_20190226_101804039_HDR.jpg
from Renfrew I would normally head for the Clyde tunnel but why go under cover when it's sunny.

IMG_20190226_104902375.jpg
[

So it was back through the west end of Glasgow.
Passed the cricket ground
IMG_20190226_105922122.jpg
The grounds main historical claim to fame has nothing to do with cricket ......

I could have stayed out all day.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Well what a beautiful ride I had yesterday! Envious of everyone coming into work saying how warm it was. I shot home, got changed, prepped the bike- I wanted a long one....:whistle::hyper:

I thought if I get out by 3pm, that gives me maximum 2 1/2 hours ride...I was hoping for near 20 miles. I had my heart set on Hothfield to Headcorn and stop there for a cake then head home....that was the theoretical plan...

I set out, exactly on route, dropped into the delightful Farm Shop at Pluckley to see my mum who was working (should have got a cake from there in hindsight!) Then I carried on, I took a different route, slightly quieter and flatter so could get some decent speed and intervals going!

Headed through back end of Smarden then into Headcorn. By this time, it was around 4:20pm and most of the bakeries had sold out,closing or closed up for the day! Plus there was a car full of 'traveller' types so I didn't feel keen to leave my bike outside AT ALL.

Disappointed, I set off back home, on a different route, was lovely still! I didn't start to feel the cold till just around 5pm when I was around 4 miles from home (had set out in cycle shorts, t shirt and knee high socks!)

Was beaming when I got home, despite no cake....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190227-065052_2.png
    Screenshot_20190227-065052_2.png
    102.9 KB · Views: 22

8mph

Veteran
An 8 mile ride today into Arambol, Goa, to buy a tourist Sim card. I need the card to source bike parts. I rode 17 miles and back to a bike shop yesterday but they didn't have a 9 speed chain.
The last section of touring was hilly and the roads were rough, my saddle, chain and rack broke. The rear disk break seized up and I completed the last 200 miles on steep hills with only the front Cantilever break working, doing 180 miles in a 30 hour stint with a 3 hour sleep.
Riding in Goa is fine, the roads are good and there is a sea breeze. After taking a couple of days off tending to the bike the pace is lazy. Setting off in the early morning and riding slowly between 11am - 7pm.
I'm heading back up through Maharashtra in a week or so, hopefully with a new chain and cassette. Maharashtra is an amazing state for training, the road is one steep hill after another.
Today I'm taking it easy, staying in the saddle as I have been for a week or so because of the chain failing twice. My fault, I didn't notice that my bike mechanic had fitted a 9 speed cassette and chain, salvaged from his workshop onto my bike which has 8 speed indexed shifters. Combined with all the dust and sand on the roads the poor chain didn't stand a chance.
It's nice to pootle around slowly on the shady Goan roads for a while before heading back North.

Beautiful morning this morning.

Wrestled with conscience.

Won.

Off we go...

2019_02_27_01.JPG

It was cold. I really should have worn gloves.

2019_02_27_03.JPG

This is (another) one of my favourite routes: an old avenue between the kings summer palace and the riding stables.

2019_02_27_05.JPG

Detour into the forest, because I like riding in the forest.

2019_02_27_08.JPG

The 'reason' for this ride was to check another route under the Autobahn wasn't blocked by roadworks. To my surprise it wasn't.

2019_02_27_07.JPG

The town of Neuhausen on the other side. This town will feature in more rides this year.

2019_02_27_10.JPG

Also managed to find the way onto the viaduct: this route was opened with great fanfare last year and does make a very nice alternative to riding through the valley and out again when approaching from the south.

2019_02_27_11.JPG

Only problem is, they don't clear it in winter, so it's useless for commuting.

The road is kept clear though: funny that.

2019_02_27_09.JPG

I can see my house village from here...

2019_02_27_12.JPG

Back along the most expensive cycle lane in the world: this cost 50 000 €. I think it is made of pixie dust and unicorn tears.

2019_02_27_13.JPG

Last bit of the ride approaching the village.

Now I know I can use the bridge I may factor it into future routes. I'm still getting a bit wheezy at the moment though.

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I needed to complete this month's half century challenge and what with my wife being on annual leave and the kids being off school, and life generally getting in the way, I've had to leave it until more or less the last minute. So February's 50km completed and four village names for the ABC Towns & Villages challenge photographed (B to E).

It's been a beautiful day, sunshine and scenery. It was a day for bib shorts, mitts and a huge grin as the pedals turned.

52.38km (32.55 miles) and 631 metres (2070.21 feet) of climbing, mostly road with about 7km of Trans Pennine Trail.

^_^^_^^_^

Denis99

Über Member
Thanks

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
First ride, today, was 7 miles to Northampton railway station, to catch the 10.05 to Berkhampstead so I could ride back in the sunshine ^_^

Arriving in Berkhampstead I was surprised and happy, to see it has a castle.

DSC_0677.JPG

And a very nice pile of flint it is, too!

Heading through the lanes towards Tring, I had to overrule a couple of RWGPS suggestions as I wasn't on an MTB. Easily bypassed, though.

DSC_0680.JPG

There's some bloomin' posh places in the area, with this place in Wingrave taking my fancy.

I was skirting between all the larger towns, such as Leighton Buzzard, Aylesbury, Milton Keynes etc., so I could enjoy the (mainly) quiet lanes.

DSC_0683.JPG

But did have to watch the road surface rather than the lovely countryside!

DSC_0692.JPG

I stopped for a snack in Paulerspury, on about 40 miles, before getting into more familiar roads towards home.

_20190227_182043.JPG

Back home on 66 sunny miles, wishing I'd worn shorts!!

https://strava.app.link/PLAeHAgEEU

:sun:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Jules H and lil ole me. Out by Coles Green to climb to Acton Green. Boy are the hills getting steeper? Still managed to drop off for Bishop's Frome and the run out to Burley Gate. The unseasonable warm and sunny weather had the Buzzards out for a lovely soar skyward. We took the uppy and downy lane for Withington and the cafe not far beyond.

Jules chatted with the ladies in the cafe as he hadn't seen them for a bit. We also chatted with a veteran cyclist who only manages indoor riding now as age has crept up. Thence we took to Lugwardine where we had a quick look in the Church (first recorded vicar - 1303 but I think the present building is Victorian rather than middle ages). The ride along the flanks of the Marcles is a lovely one on a super little lane but we did have to ride a short distance on a main road to access the lanes for Yarkhill and ultimately Bosbury. Jules suggested we cross the Malverns rather than skirt to the north as we usually do. So we looped by Coddington for the crocus - mostly finished and then I took Jules on a little loop up and over for Old Colwall. Just the Evendine climb left really so at the top we stopped at the spring for some lovely Malvern water. We chatted with a chap from Birmingham who was topping up supplies. Yep - our water is so good folks come from miles around! 53 smiles

Oh my, what a day :sad:
First, cycle to work at a leisurely pace, then realise 3 miles down the road that I have forgotten the card for the computer without which I cannot work - so nip back home then back to work again just in time. If that wasnt bad enough (knackered cos of the pace I had to do lol) I then went in shower, got shirt out of rucksack, thought that's a little damp, hmm, maybe from sweat through the back of the rucksack with all the effort? Anyway, proceeded to have shower and then put on damp shirt. Went to Kitchen and got my dinner out of the rucksack....or what was left of it! Lunchbox had come loose, emptying my salad all over the inside, which explained the damp shirt (and the now discovered tomato juice stains) :cry:
So a normal 5.5 mile route turned into an 11...
upload_2019-2-27_20-11-24.png

Thankfully the journey home was uneventful

upload_2019-2-27_20-12-53.png

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My first night ride of the year. Bib shorts and short sleeves for a February evening .... there's a first. Four of us rode down the lanes to Frampton, starting just as the sun went down, pausing to admire the reflections on the glassy calm Severn at Priding and stopping for pints of Thatchers cider outside the Bell Inn on the village green in Frampton. @Dark46 's weapons grade lights lit the road up nicely, and we had a great little night ride in the dark, chatting as we went. For me it was 21 miles in all, bringing up 500 for the year so far. Bang on target. Very enjoyable.
Cheers, Donger.

Dark46

Veteran
R316 with @Donger and other great friends Claire and Rob.
Everybody came to mine to set off. It was only my second ride of the year after going out with Rob on Monday. Getting back slowly into the swing of things.

Writing this it seems like a age since I've been here too.

Well we set off through the lanes as @Donger said around the Elmore loop , then towards Saul and Priding . It was a nice gentle pace , talking pace with everyone chilling.

Stopping for a swift cider in the Bell at Frampton. It was getting colder as we were drinking and you could certainly feel it as we set off again.

We mainly rode 2x2 on the way back. Just a fabulous way to get back into cycling with great friends and a cheeky cider. So that's 40 miles this week and 3 pints if cider in that time lol.

So it begins, it has been arranged for next Wednesday for me Rob and Claire as @Donger can't make it. Long may it continue.

Top Bottom