Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
A time restricted Sunday today so out the door at 0900 for a couple of 2 hrs so 50km target . Lovely and sunny :sun: as a roll out but a definite chill in the air :cold: . Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley and Cossington on to the steady climb of humble lane which I tend to go hard at caught and past 3 riders then as I neared the top I became aware of a rider on my shoulder I presumed one of the 3 riders had drafted me up th hill . I was surprised when it turned out to be a different rider on a mountain bike !! . I was glad when I spotted the motor on it I thought I'd lost my speed . The mountain bike must have been derestricted as I was doing 14mph when he flew past me :surrender:. Up the Wreake valley where I relaxed my pace and the 3 riders caught me up so a bit of chatting as we rode together for a few miles . At Hoby I went left and they went straight on. The climb into Ragdale then a quick drop then the steep climb out up past the health spa . Nice steady descent down Paudy lane into Barrow on soar ,Quorn ,Mountsorrel ,Rothley and home had to ride past home for a quarter of a mile and back to get 50km in . The time I got home the sun had gone in and the temperature had definitely dropped . 31.2 miles at 17.3 mph well happy with my speed today .

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
After yesterdays short but chilly ride, it felt even colder this morning despite what the thermometer was reading - that wind from the east really made itself felt.

Sadly time limited again, so another local loop to keep the legs turning.
Coal Road and good news - the traffic lights detected the bike! Glad they've finally fixed them (again).
Onto Skeltons Lane and up to the A58, spotting a couple of police traffic cars sat on the forecourt of the petrol station across the way. Hmmm...something afoot?
A few hundred yards up Wetherby Road and there seemed to be a lot of activity in the pub car park for early on a Sunday morning.
Getting closer it was some sort of club run for Porsche owners - there must have been 50 or more porkers lined up, with drivers stood around ready for the off.
That might explain the police presence just up the road...keep an eye out for them on Police Interceptors :laugh:
Left onto Whin Moor Way, where a very trick looking Caterham was parked up and out into the countryside and up to Shadwell.
Right at the junction and the descent back through the village, noticing several signs warning of restrictions for the Tour de Yorkshire in a few weeks.
Across the junction at the end and the sharp climb up to the A58, across and onto Carr Lane for the ups and downs towards Thorner.
Into the village and doing well for time I headed past St Peters Church and up Milner Lane, which never seems to get any easier :bicycle:
Along the ridge to Holme Farm Lane and then to Rigton Green, before looping back via the wonderfully quiet Bramham Lane and Jewitt Lane.
Retraced my route back into Thorner and then straight through the village to tackle the climb up Sandhills (aka Van Zyl Hill) head on. Sadly the writing on the road from the inaugural TdY has now all but gone, but there was another sign warning of restrictions for this years race, so I stopped for a pic:
IMG_20190414_104533970_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Back on the bike and along Skeltons Lane where the race will go on Friday 3rd May (so I expect to slip even further down the segment rankings...^_^) and left at the roundabout onto Coal Road.
Along there for a bit, then onto local roads down to home.

15.6 miles (25.1 km) in 1h 19m at a steady average of 11.9 mph with just 787 ft climbed and an average temperature of 3.0°C :cold:

Enjoyed that once I'd warmed up. Loads of cyclists out today, like a summers day almost, numbers wise.
I do hope it warms up again soon though as I'm not enjoying this chilly snap at all.

And to end, the map:
14042019.JPG

Sunday so HDW club run, and frosty start so layered up.

We went to Watts Gallery Tearooms at Compton, via Chobham, Pirbright, Wanborough up the tough hill up the Hog’s Back, and back via Peasmarsh, Guildford, mayford, skirting round Woking and Chertsey.

46.5 miles at ave moving speed of 15.7 mph.
1555 feet climbed though it seemed more.

Wind was not strong, though occasionally we were into a headwind

https://www.strava.com/activities/2289229903

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've struggled with motivation to get out in the cold and the wind this weekend. Didn't get out at all yesterday after getting chilled while working in the garden and had a slow get up this morning so missed that chance. After lunch though I made myself put some warm layers on and get the Raleigh out. It's been quite a strong easterly wind all day so after browsing the map I thought that a clockwise version of my Cardington loop would work reasonably well

I headed over Lyth Hill to start so as not to have a slog along the main road to Condover against the wind but this did mean braving the A49 junction at Hunger Hill which now has quite restricted visibility due to the crop in the adjacent field. After Condover I headed for Cross Houses, with a few issues with the gears shifting oddly on the way, for which I couldn't find an obvious reason. I wonder when I last changed the rearmost section of outer cable?

I used a short section of the A458 from Cross Houses, which was busier than I'd like ideally but fortunately a gap in the traffic appeared just at the right moment for me to turn right onto the road for Cound where the undulating section of the ride starts. I spotted a hare on the way to Harnage Grange - first one I've seen for a while.

Near to Harley I double back on myself just short of the village and got a partial tailwind for the first time this ride, making for an easier run to Kenley Common. A MK2 Jag passed in the other direction - looked nice. I took a right at the end of this lane and climbed up the hill to get the nice fast descent to Church Preen School. By Gretton the road had swung round so the wind was nearly directly behind me. I knew it was a good tailwind here when my gear for the climb was about 3 higher than it usually would be. This assistance carried on after Cardington too making the ascent to Folly Bank easier than usual. The descent the other side was as entertaining as ever and I hit my top speed of 33.2 mph on the way down.

For the rest of the ride back I got on at a very nice pace and decided to take the direct (and mostly flat) route home after Condover to make the most of it. Within sight of home I thought I was going to witness a crash as a motorist blatantly failed to give way at a junction. Fortunately the driver who had priority also had sharp reflexes and avoided contact by inches but received no kind of apology.

Quite busy on the roads today but very few cyclists out that I saw (only 3 of them this time). I'm very glad I made the effort to get out as I felt buzzing with energy afterwards.^_^

34.3 miles at 14.1 mph average.

It wasn't a great day for photography today and I only grabbed a couple of snaps near the end of the ride just to show I'd been out:
DSC0007381.jpg

I think this is the first decent pic of the Raleigh that I've taken since fitting the new saddle. It looks good and is comfortable. A honey one would have been nice but they weren't on the offer.

DSC0007382.jpg

A view of the hills from the same stop. Rather overcast as you see and the cold easterly wind was not nice.

An actual 'proper' ride rather than a commute and the first 100k in aeons;seemed harder than the Strava numbers came out and the dreaded cramp hovered around at the end but didn't materialise in the end.

Mostly sun and blue sky (although a bit chilly) until the end when it clouded over and a bit of very light rain.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2288921548

Blue Suffolk sky;

IMG_3392.jpg

Nice to get ou on this again;

IMG_3391.jpg

Actually went the other way;

IMG_3390.jpg

And a much needed double espresso and brownie at Silver Oak coffees' 'rig' on Ely market.

IMG_3393.jpg

AndreaJ

Veteran
Only time for a quick ride today as busy with other things so headed out the reverse way of my 1 hour route round Whixall in the hope of a tailwind on the way home. Discovered some interesting potholes I don't see when going the opposite way round, not sure Shropshire council venture to these parts very often to mend roads. Before I left , teenage daughter told me my tastefully chosen gear looked like a unicorn had vomited it up, not sure if it was a compliment or an insult but I suspect insult. Colder than yesterday, no sun and still windy, 16.5 miles average speed 15.6mph and no hills in this part of Shropshire.

8mph

Veteran
A short hilly ride to Banbury castle and back. Had a nasty 5-10 seconds of speed wobbles coming down Banbury Hill and rode back much slower than I set out.

I've lowered my handlebars recently and put new levers with longer hoods on. Haven't had any wobbles for years, it's put a slight damper on descents.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Yet another grey, cold and windy day in this part of Suffolk so I had a very relaxed morning indoors including watching a bit of the Paris - Roubaix before heading out for my first non commute ride of the month. Due to the easterly wind direction, there was no way I was going to do a long loop as it would have been a head wind for most of the return leg - one of the disadvantages of living just a few miles from the east coast.

In the end I put together a route consisting of a mixture regularly used local roads, but not normally on the same ride. Out to Ipswich via Levington & Nacton, back to Bucklesham and up to Newbourne, Walringfield and Great Bealings, across to Tuddenham and Westerfield, back to Ipswich and, although I don't like riding the same road twice on a single ride, back along the Bucklesham road, down to Kirton and home. 53 miles and home for fish & chips!

At one point the sun did come out and it almost got warm, but not for long.
Waldringfield.JPG

Screenshot_2019-04-14 Bring on the good weather - please Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2019-04-14 Bring on the good weather - please Ride Strava(1).png

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
My Sunday pootle was a day out doing the Dorset 200 which is an Audax classic and longest running event in the U.K. I’m not surprised. It’s such a well put together event with the best départ and arrivé I’ve seen. A couple of the mid point controls were worth bouncing as they were utterly rammed due to an overlap with the 100km event. Lunch was laid on by the parents of Axminster school and celebratory Extraordinaire @Ian H was on massage duty in the school hall. I opted for a warm cup of soup instead. There’s no mincing my words: it was lumpy and the icy headwind made this a tough event. Well apart from the ferry crossing. How cool is that?

Ferry to Studland
057F18CE-CABE-4973-B307-844F6094FBEF.jpeg

A large group of riders missed the boat so to speak
B14AE5B6-2BC9-4960-A788-21B62FAC8BFE.jpeg

Le Route
E823DDB9-E5D8-4965-A03A-E03ECB4BFC88.jpeg

Corfe Castle
3914FC51-3B31-49FA-96D6-A9A85ECBC89D.jpeg

Stunning views from high up
8D8FD031-7F03-43C4-A12D-2382AFBDE66B.jpeg

Windy Weymouth
6BC6DD54-376D-46C3-AB01-045291A229A8.jpeg

Abbotsbury
56EA77E1-B8DD-42EC-AEEC-FF9A03B850C6.jpeg

Silly climb up to the ice cream truck
1D1CA9C4-A826-4ABD-8957-97D215047DD0.jpeg

Ridiculous climb. I got off just near the top.
CFC21915-8100-4B10-8329-13451D593893.jpeg

Top Bottom