Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrBeanz

I moot this poster be banned.For showing shorts sunny hot weather and blue skies.
All in favour say yea all those against say nay.

:laugh::giggle:

You don't like those pics, you'll hate these! An early evening ride then relaxing in the community jacuzzi late evening.
Warm sunny California! :hello:

0bike2.jpg
0bike1.JPG

gavgav

Guru
Been working from home today, did well to resist being naughty and going for a bike ride instead, with the lovely warm sunshine outside, but as soon as the clock struck 5pm Laptop was off and out I went for a short ride around Shrewsbury, on the Carbon. It was warm enough for shorts :okay::sun:

I headed out of my cul de sac and immediately paused at the traffic lights, on the crossroads at the junction out of the estate, to pick up a rock that had been dropped into the road by, presumably, one of the lorries delivering to the builders who are constructing the second phase of the estate. It was big enough to have done serious damage to a wheel of a car or bike.

Continued on and down the old railway path, where I could smell a Barbecue!! Well I suppose it’s a nice evening and people are determined to make the most of it.

Then a squirrel darted across the road, in Reabrook, which I only just missed colliding with!

Followed the cycle paths to Heathgates, through Castlefields, onto the river Towpath into The Quarry, which was heaving with people walking, running, cycling and just generally enjoying the weather. The Boathouse Pub Beer Garden was packed as well, there was a circus being erected and also sadly, police about, as a body has been pulled from the river, very nearby, this afternoon, following a car ending up in there yesterday.

Continued up through Porthill, Oxon, Copthorne and Radbrook, before following Mousecroft Lane and Nobold Lane. Finally, after about 2 years of desperately needing it, they’ve done some resurfacing and pothole repairs! Granted, some of it looks like it’s been done by the local primary school kids and they’ve still missed some, but it’s a darn site better than what it has been.

Finished by going through Meole Village and home via the cycle paths.

12.92 miles at 12.2 mph avg

Old jon

Guru
Today, the ride was intended to scratch an itch. There is a beach not far away, Cacupe, the sun was shining and the bike was waiting to be ridden. So, breakfast and a bit of preparation and I rode off.

Hmm, preparation. I was squeezing a lime ( those and lemons are all Limao here ) into my water bottle and memory kicked in. In the days of my apprenticeship the foundries, the firm had six all along the road, always had supplies of salted lime juice available. So I ground some salt into my drink, for old time’s sake. Anyway, down the hill and pedal on to and through Joao Paulo. After a few hundred yards the tarmac is replaced by the local cobbles, which are flat topped and do look smooth. But they are not. Riding a bike on them is what I remember riding on Holbeck cobbles used to be like. Rough. Up the hill to leave Joao Paulo behind and tarmac returns for quite a wonderful distance. Over the flyover, the road beneath is used by lots of traffic, and straight on towards Saco Grande. This is the less busy road leading towards Cacupe, the one I had seen being resurfaced a few weeks ago. About a minute into the video, anyone can see where the resurfacing ended. As did my ride in that direction a few minutes later. Too rough.

Turn around, head for Beira Mar and settle for a few miles that are not too likely to shake my teeth out. Pass both bridges and turn right to head through Jose Mendes, travelling to Costeira. A whole different cycling experience and one amazing scene. It rained recently, and puddles on the bike tracks stay for a while. I smile to myself to see folk riding carefully around puddles, but. This rider, approaching me and a full width of path puddle at a fair old speed. He braked, quite fiercely, realised there was no way around the puddle, and lifted both feet off the pedals to freewheel slowly through the water. His knees were almost in his armpits, and I noticed, his shoes were bright white. The giggles stopped after a while. But kept returning all the way to home and the end of a twenty three mile wander.

A map of a couple of directions . . .

17042019.jpg

Mike_P

Guru
First evening ride of year today after a failed attempt earlier last week when the front tyre had an immediate puncture. Ripley loop clockwise so down Rowden Lane, avoiding some new pot holes, to Hampsthwaite for a snooze at a set of TTLs, then up the eastern Clint Bank in a PR, along the Nidderdale Greenway and up Bilton Lane in another PR. Defy - 11.93 miles 851ft climbed, avg 12.7 MPH

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
So they don't use the word "lima" in there?

I find your reports really interesting, Brazil is one of my really eawa to visit places, but haven't managed to get there yet.

Just asked our lass, who was born here. Limao is the word, which I had already checked in a fruit and veg shop, Diret do Campo. Brazil is vast, and the accent, or language if you prefer, changes quite a lot. Not that my ears notice much.
Thanks indeed for the interest, whatever is 'eawa'?
More posts, including other places than this island of Florianopolis, can be seen on my FB page. There are at least 581 pages with Jon Webber as the name, one of them is mine.

Reactions: C R

C R

Guru
Thanks indeed for the interest, whatever is 'eawa'?

Argh, autocorrect in this phone is a nightmare, it was meant to be 'want'.

It is interesting the differences between Brazilian Portuguese and Portugal Portuguese. 'lima' is lime in Portugal, and also in Spanish. I am not that familiar with dialects in Brazil, though.

I will keep following your posts in here eagerly, as I am not in facebook.

Thomson

Great past week. Done 16 miles on Saturday. Ten miles last night really feel much fitter already. Work commutes only 3 miles away so trying to up the distance and intensity. Went out tonight wind was quite bad (headwind).

Seen more cyclists this past week think it’s the start off the summer ones. Great cycle tonight scared myself next to a hedge when a rabbit nearly jumped out at me. I laughed.

Nice weather. Slowly going from a work guy on bike to get to work, To a something something cycling at nights guy. Makes me want to cycle longer distances and I am really enjoying it,
Tonight my longest distance to date 20.5 miles. 14.2 mph ave. even half thinking off trying a local cycle club something I would never have thought over a year ago just when I started cycling to work.

Will be ordering a cannondale end off the month :-)

I've been in New York on business. Today I got up early and cycled down to the 911 memorial then carried on around Manhattan. A great way to start the day.
After a few meetings I went riding in Central Park along with thousands of others. It was absolutely glorious!
The sun was out and the road around the outside is virtually traffic free. Definitely recommended.
Screenshot_20190417-202944~2.jpg
1160215.jpg
IMG_20190417_131934.jpg

chriswoody

Legendary Member
So not far to the North of me is the Lüneburger Heide, an area of heather covered moorland that can be really picturesque in late summer when the heather is in bloom. Not long after I'd put gravel tyres on my old Galaxy, I'd discovered an official trail that loops over 60km through this area. The most Southwesterly point conveniently connected on to the furthest most point of a forest loop I'd already discovered. All in all, nearly 100km of singletrack and gravel roads looping through the moorland from my house.

So today with temperatures of 22°c forecast I loaded up with food and water and set off into the forest. The first 18km were through familiar forest trails.

IMG_20190418_095156001_HDR.jpg

Then I struck North for a while through some fantastic forest trails with mostly gravel paths before popping out next to a small lake.

IMG_20190418_103551868.jpg

The heather was looking particularly dry after quite a prolonged spell of dry weather here.

IMG_20190418_115202295_HDR.jpg

The dry weather has also turned the trails into a nightmare in places, the middle part of the ride in particular was really difficult with the path resembling a soft sandy beach. For about ten kilometres I alternated between pushing the bike and slowly plodding along, sliding all over the place.

IMG_20190418_114623100_HDR.jpg

As well as the heather, this place is famous for being the place where the famous German mathematician Carl Gauß, carried out the first accurate geodectic survey of the area. There are a couple of memorial stones erected at two of the sites he used to conduct this work.

IMG_20190418_115904813.jpg
IMG_20190418_125801442_HDR.jpg

Overall the Garmin showed 98.5km, just shy of the magic 100km, with an average speed of 20km an hour. A fantastic day in all with most of the ride being on gravel or forest tracks. There was hardly another soul in sight all day and the weather was lovely.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
28.6 brisk miles around the lanes tonight. Down to Arlingham (pub stop in the Red Lion) and a loop around Fretherne to throw in a couple of little hills. Great ride in select company (@Dark46 , Claire, Rob and me). Did 23 yesterday, and plan to get out with another friend for a gentle bimble tomorrow. Rattling out the miles ever since I quit the rat race.

Mike_P

Guru
Good job I did not need to be in work quickly this morning, set off on the ebike and suddenly had what seemed to be chain off the chainring until I looked down and backwards and it was completely off, lying in the road a few yards back. I had changed the chainring the last night and obviously had not refitted the quick links right:banghead: Now has a 38 instead of a 42 and goes uphill noticeably faster albeit slower on the level so its also got a 48 fitted - just need to sort out a derailleur which is going to need an exercise in metalwork.
Out on the Defy again this evening and for a total lack of invention the Ripley loop but anti-clockwise and noticeably more breezy than last night. Continuous procession of PRs from starting on the Nidderdale Greenway to turning onto the B6161; rather than snoozing at the TTLs in Hampsthwaite I came up Hollins Lane instead of Rowden Lane.
11.42 miles 813ft climbed avg 12.5 MPH 26% of the 7 hour BC challenge completed

Reynard

Guru
Combo utility ride / test ride on Wiggy #2, the Chartres.

Needed to run an errand for the parental unit and test out the tweaks I'd made to the brakes and pedals, so just my usual 10 mile run to and around Littleport. Was really tired after a late night last night (getting the last train home is never a good idea...) but the lure of the lovely spring sunshine made the idea of hopping on the bike kind of irresistible. Hard work though, as I was battling a brisk head wind / cross wind for most of the way, but when I finally got a tail wind, then *wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee* :girldance:

Also first ride of the year in mitts as opposed to gloves and capris as opposed to roubaix-lined tights. Spring is in the air, but still wanted the thermal jersey and a base layer though as the wind was a bit keen.

Nice to see loads of kids out on bikes in Littleport, but some of the bikes could have definitely used a clean and a drop of oil... :headshake:

Top Bottom