Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Friday's after work ride. A common 30 mile loop but with a couple of added deviations from the norm to add variety. The rain had stopped and the sun was out, so I was wearing blue tinted shades. These make anything orange stand out so strongly that I had to stop here to take a photo. I would post it in the 'your bike on top of a gas pipeline' thread in the photo gallery but can't find one.

IMG_20190614_173000[1].jpg

Looking in the other direction the countryside is looking very green after all the recent rain.

IMG_20190614_173019[1].jpg

I made a brief off road excursion to take a picture of the tent that has been erected to house Saturday's Proclaimers gig in Melrose.

IMG_20190614_183056[1].jpg

I'm going and can't wait. :hyper::music::dance:
The Proclaimers latest album is 'Angry Cyclist'. After a near miss on a single track road from an oncoming car driven by a blind old bat who clearly hadn't even seen me there was one very angry cyclist.
Yesterday's map -

upload_2019-6-15_11-21-30.png

32.3 miles @ 13.7 mph. 737m upwardness.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Last night's ride:

I hadn't expected to get out after being busy during the day but the weather improved in the evening so I took the chance to go and have another look at the state of the River Severn as it's so unusual to get it coming up so high in the summer months.

I started off by heading into town the most direct way and crossing the English Bridge where it was plain to see that the water level was up about four feet on what it had been last time I was here. Not only was the towpath here well under water but so too was Victoria Avenue leading to the Quarry so my way was blocked and I had to ride up Town Walls and Murivance to get to the park. I was able to rejoin Victoria Avenue near to the bandstand and follow it up to the Welsh Bridge and across into Frankwell for a nose around before heading to the Castlefields area where I found Sydney Avenue completely impassable.

Having got round this flood I aimed to head out of town to Uffington, Upton Magna and Atcham as I did last time. I didn't use the tunnel under Telford Way last time so hadn't realised it was full of water, which led to a slight detour. I had to wade through the same minor floods as last time on my way to Upton Magna then at Atcham what was fields last time I was here had turned into a decent sized lake.

I had to reroute as the road to Cross Houses was well underwater but after that the ride home was uneventful on what had turned into a reasonably pleasant summer evening. I took the shorter main road route as the roads were quiet (everyone is in the pub by this time ;)).

21.8 miles at 12.8 mph average.

P6140245.JPG

At the English Bridge.

P6140252.JPG

Victoria Avenue, looking towards Kingsland Bridge.

P6140253.JPG

Looking across to Shrewsbury School and the school boathouse.

P6140255.JPG

Sabrina was supposed to be out on a cruise for a birthday party this evening - the party is still happening but the boat is staying tied up. Operations have to be curtailed when the level hits 1.7 metres as she won't fit under the bridges. At the time this pic was taken the level was recorded as 3.65 metres above normal.:ohmy:

P6140259.JPG

Frankwell car park. Unfortunately it looks like someone didn't get the warnings about moving their car. That'll be expensive.

P6140260.JPG

Sydney Avenue. Time for another detour.

P6140265.JPG

Upton Magna.

P6140268.JPG

P6140270.JPG

A couple of shots across the flood plain at Atcham.

P6140280.JPG

Near to Betton Abbots on my way to Condover.

colly

Re member eR
I've be been out on my bike, a bit, but not so much. A few smaller rides here and there but just to the shops and stuff. So last week and this morning I got out rather than doing 'things'. Even though they have to be done eventually.

Last weeks efforts:

Mid afternoon jaunt
View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/35639964
17 miles 700 ft of up

Early am jaunt
View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/35735349
33 miles 2100 ft of up

This mornings effort
View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/35972150
45 miles 1330ft of up

Early start just as the dawn was arriving. On fixed so a flat route out to the east. Apart from deer, hares, a badger, rabbits and a black furry something...not much happened. Nevertheless riding into the rising sun on a cool summer morning was very pleasant. No traffic to speak of which is always a plus. Taking time off the bike must suit me, I fairly breezed along, barely out of breath or sweating. Best average speed for ages.

Got back in about 7am in time to wake Mrs Colly with tea.

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Just back from doing 30 miles with my stepson, first 15 miles against the wind and after a coffee and cake stop, it was nice to have the wind behind on the return journey. Now I need to wash the car as , once again, the seagulls have been busy overnight and the car is covered with it! :angry:
After that, it will be taking the dog for a long walk.

After having three wet rides in the week I struck lucky this morning with a dry one, hurrah ! My intentions were to add a bit more on to a usual route up to Bacton but it was like flogging a dead horse, I don`t know why. I had a good nights sleep, I was even on my summer bike ( it makes no difference anyway in the long run) but I just felt so tired, legs and generally. There was only an 8mph breeze so not that and it is my flattest route. Yet when I have been out in the rain this week I felt good. So my ride ended at 22.9 and glad of a cappucino and a biscuit to recover, still hav`nt as I type this. The highlight of my ride was seeing a yellowhammer sitting on a post at the side of the road and also quite a few goldfinches. I did see quite a few other cyclists about who all but one acknowledged me. That one, as he rode past, I said " please yourselves" (sotto voce) in my best Frankie Howerd voice ! Just may be my next ride the red rum legs will come back !!

Old jon

Guru
Well, a bright and clear morning outside. I know the phone predicted showers, but I am going for a ride.

It is that time of year again, and a Saturday as well. All sorts of events going on, scattered all across the country and all praying for clement weather. And all likely to attract large numbers of folk sat in tin boxes. So thoughts about where to go, hmmm, largely uninformed thoughts at that. OK, lets try a wandering ride to Otley again. At the towpath gate by Office Lock there was a car, the driver was taking stuff from the vehicle to a table at the lockside. Said good morning in passing and forgot about it until later. After leaving the canal the climb to and through Headingley did seem to be a bit brisker than usual for me. Crossed the Ring Road and further along had to wait at the traffic lights to turn right onto Church Lane, which is when I felt the breeze at my back. No wonder the ride up had been ( relatively ) easy. Some roadworks at the next corner were taking some room up, a bit of patience was needed and after that the road was clear. Across Adel Beck, up the little rise and take the left to pass Golden Acre Park. Being duly grateful for the shove from the breeze again. Turn left onto Kings Road and enjoy the descent to the roundabout, where I turned right for a short stretch before turning right again onto Creskeld Lane.

I do like nadgery downhills. The A 659 at the bottom goes to Harewood on the right and Pool on the left, and that is the way I went. The next turn is right at the roundabout, to the left, up Pool Bank, was a solid queue of traffic. Through the village and turn left to rejoin the A 659 on the way to Otley. This road hiccups across Yorkshire like this, vanishing for longer or shorter distances and randomly appearing again. Adds to the fun. Leeds road out of Otley, heard a ticking noise so pulled to the side after a parked car. Was overtaken by two bikes . . . The ticking was not a bomb, just a bit of surface dressing. Go on up the hill, shall I turn right in Bramhope for more ups and downs on the way to Cookridge? Nope.

The straightforward return home it is then. The shopping centre in Headingley, between Shaw Lane and North Lane is a pain. Travelling towards the town centre but wanting to turn right at North Lane you need to ride on the unmarked left side of the right hand lane. Or piddle about in the gutter waiting for a gap in the traffic. There may not be a cure for this. Anyway, the towpath is that way, down the hill. Today populated by crowds of people. Some running event or another, and I had no wish to spoil their fun, so an about turn, remembering the preparations that had been going on earlier at Office Lock. Five sets of traffic lights later and less than half a mile away the bike was pointed towards central Leeds and I was exploring again. No, I knew where I was going but it is a large count of years since I have ridden that way. Surprisingly easy, cycle tracks have sprouted everywhere. The occasional blip, but for a Saturday lunchtime it was not bad. Kirkstall Road after Commercial Street all the way to the end of Westgate and beyond, turn right by Queen Street onto Aire Street, left on Globe Road, similar left to Water Lane and there is Hunslet and the ride through on the last stretch to home. Just over thirty miles for the morning, dry all the way and even after 1250 feet of climbing the smile was still there.

A bit of map too!

15062019.jpg

Mike_P

Guru
:sun:So unusually for me a morning road bike ride, cycleway to Knaresborough was a bit tricky with the changing shadows through the trees and the northbound ride thereafter to Farnham was hampered by 3 way TTLs, and the sun disappeared :sad: but it stayed dry^_^ Through Copgrove and onto Burton Leonard which took me a bit by surprise:scratch: as I had meant to take the road to Bishop Monkton. Checking the video I had greeted a cyclist going in the opposite direction and must have completely missing the road sign :banghead:So down a pretty narrow lane to gain the correct road in the most direct manner.
N of BL.jpg

Followed NCN688 through Littlethorpe where I found a bench dedicated to diver Jack Laugher
Bench Littlethorpe.jpg

Through Ripon, down Borrage Lane through the concrete bollards, and onto Studley Royal Deer Park
StudleyR2.jpg

and the westbound climb to St Marys Church (3% avg 9.2% max). No deer to be seen.
StudleyR3.jpg

StudleyR5.jpg

Then down to the west gate to Fountains Abbey, up to How Hill (apparently 11.1% max, questionable given the inclination of the left bend at a junction), and on via Markington, Drovers Hill (13% max) and down Scarah Bank to Ripley where there were some very nicely decorated bicycles.
Ripley8.jpg

The crossing lights of the Nidderdale Greenway over the A61 did not seem to want to work and after 2 and half minutes a gap in the traffic finally appeared. Somewhat surprised to record a PR on it, between the viaduct and Bilton Lane. 33.06 miles 1986ft climbed Avg 13 mph
150619 route.jpg
150619 gradient.jpg

Last edited:
It's not often that a ride starts with one feeling miserable, gets cut short due to the weather but was ultimately utterly amazing. Today was one of those days!

The route planned was a century but with opt out points at 50 and 60 miles. I headed north from Lufbra up toward Ilkeston following the Erewash Canal for a while with a small diversion to see the magnificent Bennerley Viaduct. Sadly not in use but an amazing structure.

Heading west from there to grab some easy squares before the climbing began in earnest. Lots of tiny back roads with endless climbs around Pentrich towards Crich. Reached the coffee shop but for some reason, it didn't feel right. A quick Google said there is a monument to the Sherwood Foresters nearby with a tea room. The road into the monument must've been 10% for half a mile but it was worth it....unaffected views for miles, able to see a power station 35 miles away!

Took a short time out in the tea rooms at which point I was told that the BBMF Lancaster was flying over shortly. We got 2 flypasts which in the setting was amazing and humbling. A short but chilly shower after delay warming up sealed that I'd abort the ride and drop into Cromford. An amazing ride. Stunning and I'll head back on a nicer day!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
It's almost two weeks since my last ride, but life has a way of doing things like that.
It also meant I was limited to a couple of hours, or so, this morning but the sun was making an appearance and there was blue sky, so why not?

On the Giant as it has mudguards and it rained quite a bit last night. It felt a bit chilly too, so i wore longs and a long sleeved top and got the shoe covers out again.

Coal Road, then the usual combination of roads into Shadwell, before the climb up to Slaid Hill lights. I really do need to work on my fitness.
Still, right at the lights and on through the dip, then onto Tarn Lane to loop back round into Scarcroft.

Onto the A58 and the long downhill in front of me - decision time though. They'd been surface dressing the road further on three of four weeks ago, but surely it would be OK now? Only one way to find out...
It wasn't horrendous, but it wasn't great either. Still a fair few loose chippings, especially off the lines that cars had cleared and the surface throughout was coarse and lumpy.
Still, it's mainly downhill, so stick to the clear(ish) line and get on with it.
Through the fringes of Bardsey and on to Collingham, where a tight turn took me to the road to Linton and over the bridge into the village.
Regular readers might remember me referring to 'lumpy Linton' due to the undulations and boy were they hard work today.
Eventually the village was cleared and it was into Wetherby, with a loop around the town centre, avoiding homicidal pedestrians, and out on the Walton Road over the A1(M).
Between the fields and past the racecourse, before a right took me down to Thorp Arch, over the river and into Boston Spa.
A short wiggle along Main Street, then the Clifford turn and briefly back into the countryside.
Through Clifford and down the hill into Bramham. Which then means up the hill out of Bramham.
I was huffing and puffing at this point, so stopped at the bench before the bridge over the A1(M) and had a break and a flapjack bar.
IMG_20190615_095237529 (1).jpg

Rested, back on the bike and over the motorway, then the steady climb up past Bramham Park, staying straight on at the fork and heading through the lesser Wothersome Dip, which had a fair bit of mud and grit in the road, but I avoided it and powered up the other side. Well, I got to the top anyway...
Along there to Milner Lane, then the drop into Thorner and another decision - straight up Sandhills, or the steadier route up Carr Lane? There is pretty much the same amount of climbing to be done to get home, but the Carr Lane way spreads it out a bit more.
I was up against time so took the shorter (if steeper) route up Sandhills.
Skeltons Lane, then Coal Road and local roads down to home, into a stiffening headwind.

26.40 miles (42.48 km) in 2h 13m at an average of 11.9 mph with 1,325 ft of up and an average temperature of 15.0°C

I'm going to be brutally honest now - there were parts of that ride that I didn't enjoy that much. A couple of the hills were really hard work, but I only have myself to blame as it's down to (among other things) a lack of time on the bike.
That said, I feel better about it now and after a bowl of pasta and a coffee I'm glad I got out there and got a ride in.
I beat the rain too, which is a bonus and there were loads of cyclists out making the most of the sunshine.

And to end, a map:
15062019.JPG

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Our lass told me earlier in the week she was going to she her dad today, so I had all day free, shall I clean the bikes and take one into the LBS to be looked at? Nope, I'm going riding :bicycle:

Out of the door just after 6 and it is a beautiful blue sky, planning to be back for 3 before the forecast rain hist. Wind was from south and the planned route went straight into it from the off. :rolleyes:

Pretty much the first 40 miles went south east as I skirted the east of Coventry and went through Royal Leamington Spa and Warwick. Warwick is a cracking place, reminded me of Beverley.

Around 35 miles in the clouds have formed and it starts spitting. I had three cafes on the route with the first being at 43 miles, but I decided to skip this one and try and out run the rain as I headed north, the next stop was at 88 miles. Rain turned out to be fairly light and lasted for an hour or so.

Skirted the east of Henley in Arden, through Kingswood and onto the first of three dead end turns to grab explorer squares. Turned out each of the three meant going downhill and then turning and coming back up to get back on route and each one was harder than the last :wacko:

Get to the A45 near the M42 junction and National Motorcycle Museum and it turns out my route took me down a footpath, only problem it was through a ploughed field :rolleyes:

Decided to skip that and jumped on the A452 and onto the service road going onto the A45, knowing I was coming back onto my route and the service road had led onto another road that went under the A45.

Get through that and the next road on the other side is closed due to HS2, so rode the cycle path along the A45 and back onto the A452, at this point it was dual carriageway and pretty fast but I'm only on it for a mile and back onto country lanes

Go through Coleshill and nearly get taken out by a muppet driving across a crossroads, the idiot stopped in the middle when his passenger pointed me out. Only problem I was going downhill and nipping along. Luckily he moved on before I had to do anything other than question his parentage.

Skirt around Tamworth which meant going up the horrible hill alongside the A5 from Mile Oak to the fantastically named Weeford.

Through Lichfield and eventually get to the cafe on 92 miles, at this point I remembered I'd changed the route between the first two cafes.

I'm pretty knackered at this point and I know after the cafe I'm going to be heading into the wind again so stop for a sausage sandwich. Nope too late for breakfast, so I have a slice of coconut sponge cake. Blooming lovely :hungry:, wash it down with a can of coke and a coffee:cuppa: and I'm on my way.

Pretty windy and slow for the remainder of the journey. It started raining again with about 20 miles to go. Get to Leicester Forest East which is 4 or 5 miles away from home but I'm running pretty empty by now so stop at the newsagent for another can of coke and and ice cream. I sat on the floor outside the shop in the light rain but I was that knackered I didn't care. 5 minutes later back on the bike for the final push.

Get to Braunstone and the traffic is absolutely solid either there is just a lot of traffic or Middleton Street is flooded, so divert onto the Great Central Way cycle path which adds a couple of miles but conveniently removes a hill ^_^

Get home before three, bring the washing in. Ran a bath and the heavens opened, perfect timing

All in 129 miles, plus the bonus of a rare ride with the elevation over 5,000 feet.

Must clean the bikes tomorrow :whistle:

https://www.strava.com/activities/2451902394

TigerT

Veteran
Not much exciting to report recently. Commuting has been going well, though I finally wore out a set or tyres on my old Roubaix (they must have done over 6000kms in the last 5 years, so not bad going).

Last weekend I just did a short ride. For some reason my arms reacted badly to the gym that week and were complaining after about 15kms - I managed to get a 40km loop in, but that was enough.

This weekend I have Taxi duties to perform today, so have to use the car (had to put petrol in it for the first time this year!) So may get a ride in later. But I did get out yesterday. Just a standard weekend coffee and cake ride.

I headed out to Baden and about half way there, I was beginning to think that the cycling gods hated me. The wind was extremely gusty and couldn't decide which direction to blow me in. It also felt considerably colder than the weather forecast suggested it would be. I was glad to get to the cafe!

After a long pause for coffee and cake, the sun decided it would reluctantly show it's face and the weather completely changed. It warmed up and the wind dropped. The ride back home was excellent and if I hadn't had other things to do I would have extended it. It was warmer, just a gentle breeze, my legs were just up for a fast ride home. One of those rides where everything just clicks. So worth the bad ride out for a fantastic ride back.

pjd57

Veteran
On holiday in Tenerife. Costa Adeje.
Found a hire shop, TenBike not far from where we are staying.
€25 for a one day hire of a Merckx carbon frame road bike.
Plan was to go along the coast to Gigantes and back. Looked straightforward enough.
It wasn't.

Quite a few dead ends getting away from the resort and figuring out how to avoid the motorway wasn't always straightforward.
IMG_20190615_094235591.jpg
IMG_20190615_111406508.jpg
IMG_20190615_113257064.jpg
strava1029006215173126603.jpg

Basic mistake on the way back ,I followed road signs for Adeje and ended up climbing away from Costa Adeje.
Got there eventually, and can confirm there are no flat bits in this part of Tenerife.

Top Bottom