Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My first ride in over a fortnight. Got out with the club's Social Group. Six of us did an anti-clockwise loop via Frampton on Severn and Frocester before climbing up through Middleyard and heading for the café stop. Tried a posh canal-side café called "Kitsch Coffee" near Stroud. They had a shiny new bike rack and a sign telling you not to take bikes into the garden. Didn't like the rack as it was one of those that holds the front wheel, but with much too wide a gap, so that you got the feeling it could buckle your wheel as your bike leans. No sooner had we attempted to park in the (empty) garden than the boss came out and told us off. A rainy day, with nobody in the garden ... what a jobsworth. So we left and took our trade to the Malthouse at Salmon Springs instead.

After the rest stop, we headed on up our second climb through Painswick to Painswick Beacon before plunging down Upton Hill on lovely smooth new tarmac and an empty road at a new record speed (for me) of 40.2mph. Weeeeee!!! Ended up being a 39 mile ride door to door, ending in heavy rain that made me regret not bringing a flannel. Had one huge scare as a Beemer came roaring towards me near Brookthorpe almost completely on the wrong side of the road as he was cutting a corner rally style. For a fraction of a second I considered jumping off the bike into a ditch, but we both managed to swerve just enough to miss each other by a foot or so ..... with an estimated closing speed of about 75mph!

Home and hosed now, and great to get back into the saddle. Cheers.
Donger

Mike_P

Guru
Another Metric Half Century to go with yesterdays was unintentional but a result of setting off thinking I’ve forgotten something, which I eventually realised was gloves, and then its colder than I thought even though it was sunny, so back home also for arm extenders on the basis they would not be needed for the whole ride (they were) . Initially I had decided to follow the A59 to Knaresborough but the half hour gloves etc delay had seen a noticeable increase in road traffic so I took a cycle route to avoid Empress Roundabout
Aviod ER.jpg

Not entirely unproblematic as worn out road markings and the lack of any obvious sign resulted in me momentarily going the wrong way on a one way street not realising the contraflow cycle lane had stopped and a right turn was meant to be taken. Re-joined the A59 through Starbeck over the level crossing.
Starbeck LC.jpg

Then decided to go via Calcutt so over another level crossing with an interesting camber
Forest Lane LC.jpg

Crossed the River Nidd on Low Bridge which is immediately after Mother Shipton Inn and not that evident as a bridge in this photo
Mother Shiptons Inn.jpg

As a result joined the cycle route along the Nidd Gorge at around its mid point, then south to Wetherby; en route I noticed the odd drops of moisture in the wind but it did not amount to anything. Remained overcast thereafter.
West to Sicklinghall where the climb through the village did not seem as steep as I remembered it and a new PR on Strava.
Sicklinghall2.jpg

At the west end of the village I had a interesting balancing session akin to stalled track cyclists, as I had not unclipped, having slowed almost to a stop due to parked cars to let a 4 wheel Drive pass but I had not realised another car was following was behind it. North through Kirkby Overblow, along the A658 and Rudding Lane where the TLs at the narrow bridge went to red and then back to green immediately I stopped:sad: Chased the cars tailing back on the A661 to the first junction. Further on I got a clear demonstration that following NCN67 through the showground can be quicker as a cyclist I had overtook on Rudding Lane was a short distance in front of me.
Put the Defy away, shut the shed door and :sun::angry:

33.17 miles 1924ft climbed Avg 12.8 mph.

160619 route.jpg
160619 elevation.jpg

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Out again this morning, just with an hour or so to spare.

Sun and blue skies, and after being overdressed yesterday it was shorts and a short sleeved top (with arm warmers).
More importantly though, it was the first ride out this year for the 'best' bike, which if nothing else is shamefully late in the year for such things.

I could tell the difference straight away and regretted not making the effort earlier.
Anyway, up Coal Road and onto Skeltons Lane for the long descent down Sandhills into Thorner. Stopped in the village to try and discover what the annoying rattling was - it was the saddle bag and rear light making contact, so I moved the rear light down. Lucky I did as part of the rubber strap thingy that secures it split apart.
It's an Aldi one (the one that looks very similar to a Moon Nebula), so I'll be trying to find the receipt as it's only a few months old. Fortunately it's one of those straps with several fitting points so I was able to refit it and set off again. Not sure how much longer it's going to last for though.
Milner Lane up the hill and along between the hedges, and left at the fork and round to Rigton Green. Right and right again onto Bramham Lane for the (usually) deserted run to Jewitt Lane, but passed a jogger and then a bloke on an MTB which qualifies as rush hour along there. ^_^
Up the rise onto Holme Farm Lane and then retraced my outbound route back into Thorner into a noticeable headwind.
Used Carr Lane to climb out of the village today for a bit of variety, then a scoot along the A58 and Coal Road before turning for home only to spot flashing blue lights and find the federales blocking the way ahead with their van. A bus in front of me was trying to do a 3-point turn so I span round back up to Coal Road and found an alternative route down to home.

14.36 miles (23.11 km) in 1h 10m at an average of 12.2 mph with 1,702 ft climbed and an average temperature of 13.8°C

Got to say that was a more enjoyable ride than yesterday and it's funny how that happens sometimes isn't it? Good to be out on the Pro Carbon too after all this time - it just feels faster and more responsive than the Giant. I noticed the higher gearing on the hills though (up and down!).
A few cyclists out today, along with a higher than usual count of horse riders.
Turns out that the diversion was due to an RTC a bit further on - nothing further in local media so far, so hopefully nothing too serious.

Apologies there are no photos today, on the outward leg there was sunshine and blue skies and I was enjoying myself so much I didn't stop. When I turned for home it almost immediately clouded over and I was chased by spits and spots of rain threatening a deluge, so I didn't stop again. Sorry.

But here's a map instead:
16062019.JPG

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Today was a day of collecting Audax Altitude Award Points. 117km with a smidge short of 1800m ascent should get me 1.75 points. Either way it’s a lumpy route mainly around the Mendip Hills in Somerset.

A treat for me was to run into the back of the Women’s Tour. I could lie and say I caught them up, but the truth was they had been neutralised coming off Dundry Beacon.

Later on I was mixed up in the Men’s Nationals right at the point where there’s a 7km climb from Blagdon Lake right up onto the Mendips. Small crowds had lined the climb to cheer the lads on. Well they didn’t know any better and cheered me along too. :laugh: I laughed all the way to the top and recorded one of my worst results to date. I think I might have even wet my bib shorts laughing so hard. Maybe not. Two friends recognised me near the top and fell over in surprise. Oh how we laughed. Funny. And for the pedants out there: I was behind them so I didn’t interfere with the race.

The Women’s Tour SAG vehicles, ambulances and medics.
989E0E53-D1B8-4558-951D-7EC24F2B9FE8.jpeg

Spa Cycles Elan
69BD545F-CE59-4A71-8367-14F3AF3DDD3D.jpeg

A fair number of sheep and Blagdon Lake
5FD4FE5F-FFD2-476A-8440-D324F067A8A5.jpeg

Somerset Humour
14FDACA7-7772-45AF-B2B9-BE078F0827EB.jpeg

Wind Turbine in overdrive. (Video wouldn’t load so have a still. It’s a pleasure)
C6E0C56F-40D8-4D3A-A0D6-0E06907C93FA.jpeg

Last edited:

C R

Guru
After a rather wet week the forecast for today was somewhat promising, though with some risk of rain at some point.

Out at quarter to seven with the aim of trying some new lanes. Shorts and short sleeve jersey, as it wasn't meant to be cold. It felt a bit nippy to start with, but after a couple of miles it felt fine. It had been sunny when I got up, but it was quite grey by the time I was on my way.

So out through town, towards Hallow, and then Sinton Green and Ockeridge aiming for Witley Court. Got there in about 50 minutes, which I think is a record for me. Stopped for a bit of a breather and a drink, and then carried on to Great Witley, turning left for Martley. This was what I thought would be the climb for today, and I took it steady, but let rip on the descent, as the road is quiet at this time of the day, and I know the bends, just around 32mph top speed.

I normally turn left for Ockeridge to head back to Worcester through the lanes, but today I decided to continue to Martley and Knightwick.

After Martley the road climbs again, in what turned out to be a more serious lump than I had expected, with some bits of it forcing me onto my lowest 28x32. Once you get to the top, it looks like there might be some glorious views towards Worcester, but not today.

The final drop to Knightwick is even steeper, and I went down the hill holding on to the brakes. I was considering doing the Tour of Worcester sportive in October, but it goes up this hill, and after actually seeing it, I am now reconsidering it.

At the bottom of the hill I crossed the Teme by the pedestrian bridge, and headed for Bransford via Alfrick and Leigh. This road again caught me out with some sharp lumps, though luckily these weren't as long.

By the time I reached Bransford I realised I may be a bit short of the 50k, so headed to the bridge to add some distance, instead of going to Powick directly via Station Road. So right at the Bridge, up the short climb, and then left at Collets Green. Checking the segments in Map My Ride later I noticed that @twentysix by twentyfive of this parish seems to have been this way recently as well
IMG_20190616_200429.jpg

Past Powick I decided I couldn't face the farcility along the ring road, so headed for the Diglis bridge. It turns out that the river is rather full, with the lock gates almost under water
IMG_20190616_091828325.jpg

The path towards town this side is also flooded
IMG_20190616_091834555_HDR.jpg

And as it turns out so is the path to Diglis park on the other side, which meant I had to go round towards town to get back to Bath Road an then home through St Peters.

33.6 miles, with more up than I am used to, but good fun.

The map
IMG_20190616_201201.jpg

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
Not having too much spare time today I went on a shorter ride hoping to avoid the rain which doesn't seem to stop for very long at the moment despite what BBC weather app claims. Decided to avoid the recently surface dressed roads in Whixall and dodge the potholes around Colemere instead. Headed up to Wolverley before turning into Loppington where it started to rain and through to Burlton, turning back towards English Frankton, Colemere, around the mere to Lyneal. I don't normally find much traffic this way but the ones I did find were in a hurry to get past whether there was room to or not including one in a bright pink van, will recognise him next time and move first. Coming back to Lyneal a skoda towing a caravan pulled out in front of me and appeared lost as soon as he had left the campsite! Headed back to Northwood, turned towards Whixall then turned to Waterloo onto the loose chippings which are not as loose now on to Goblins Lane, back to Edsaston, Ryebank,Highfields, Horton and back past The Moat Shed then home. It did keep raining on and off all the way round but the wind had dried me off pretty well by the time I got home still not very warm though. Put the bike away and got a drink and another monsoon downpour started, glad I missed that.21 miles @ average 15.6mph

Butchersbike

Managed to get out today after a month of work and bad weather-round the lanes of Herefordshire and Worcestershire. Out towards Bromyard, turn off for Edwyn Loach, out to the Bromyard to Stourport road where I cross straight over ( more or less) to Norton through some beautiful National Trust owned land. This brings you out onto the A44 Worcester road for a 200m downhill pootle to the Whitbourne turn. Steady climb back unto Clifton upon Teme-at the top it is left to return home or right to Martley. A right turn it was to have a coffee and cake at the Mayfly Cafe before heading back to Clifton then drop down the road towards home. Thoroughly enjoyed the 36 miles, 1200m of climbing and sedate pace of 10.5 mph.

the_craig

Über Member
It’s Fathers Day today and Mrs the_craig was working all day, so there was no Father’s Day frolics for me. Until she whispered the words we all want to hear...

“I’ll bath the kids. You go out on your bike...”

:highfive:

So a hastily planned 36km route out from Shotts to Armadale and back. I’ve found a couple of quiet backroads which are very quiet with some steep ramps then back along NCN75. Lovely.

Legs felt great. I felt great. It was great.
36.8km with an average 26.3km. 303m of elevation.

Great. :thumbsup:

https://www.strava.com/activities/2456116050

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
20190616_104125.jpg
I've been doing a 10 mile loop lately around a nearby reservoir and some crags and noticed on Google maps there are tracks up onto the crags which are about 300 ft high. So yesterday I went exploring along a mountain bike trail rated "black".

20190616_103337.jpg
20190616_103700.jpg

It was ridiculously steep at points so I got off and pushed (my heavy hybrid E-bike)
20190616_104641.jpg

Found a bee sleeping in a flower
20190614_152048.jpg

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Sort of grey this morning, complete with promises of showers, but the fixed has not had a ride out since, err, just go check. The 14th of February. And we have been back for four weeks today. Better give it a ride.

The tyres had lost a bit of pressure, which is easily put right and nowt else seemed to need attention so I pedalled off. Remembering to keep on pedalling, of course. In the first two or three hundred yards the rain had started and I had remembered how to ride a fixed. Twenty minutes later I was soaked, literally to the skin, and wondering about a return home. But no, all the trafficky bits ( is that a lovely word or not? ) had been done and I was at the side of the Leeds and Liverpool canal and ready to ride along the towpath until I had done about fifteen miles. So I did just that. Most of this towpath is surfaced. There is a stretch starting at the far end of what is now a marina that is probably original, in intention if not materially, but there is an almost unused road that runs parallel to that bit. Hills? Yup, each lock, the first steep one at Bramley Falls. One soon after, just approaching Newlay and then leaving Apperly Bridge there is one more. After that, the surface does deteriorate a lot, my wrists are telling me that, and there is another lock between there and Shipley. I rode a little further, to the Saltaire Cricket Club grounds and reckoned that was far enough. Turned around and started the ride home. Still on the towpath though, there are a lot of hills on the roads twixt here and Leeds and one gear only . . .
The less hilly version

Peaceful, and green, and quiet. Though after Rodley on the return journey things are slightly busier. Boats and buildings. Suburbs is the word I was looking for. And the locks are downhill in this direction. So a gentle and pleasant ride back to Office Lock, find Water Lane again and wander around Hunslet’s small corner for the easy way to the main road and then home. The first thirty miles on the fixed since a while, and a grin ‘cos I can still ride it.

I never realised the canal twisted and turned so much . . .

17062019.jpg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The British Heart Foundation London to Brighton Bike ride.

The Fragrant MrsP and I went up to East Croydon on Saturday and stayed in the noisiest hotel in the whole of Europe, after about 3 hours kip got up 4:15am up and set off, riding 5.5 miles to the start line at Clapham Common for a 6 am start, which was delayed by about 10 minutes, we finally set off in the bright sunshine and a little wind.

As you know I was riding the 43 old BSA Tour De France road bike that I recently restored, the ride was the first time for me but the second time for the bike, the previous owner Alan rode the event 15 years ago. The Fragrant Mrs P was riding her super light Trek Madone bike, and we agreed to ride at our own pace and meet at the end, so once over the start line I didn’t see Fragrant MrsP again until the Finish line.

I was a bit concerned about riding the old bike, I didn’t really know how it was going to perform, I hadn’t done a lot of training and I’m used to riding my much lighter Trek Madone with more and better gears I should have been better prepared.

Anyway the bike was comfortable to ride for the first 5 miles or so, then I hit a bump and the seat post slipped into the seat tube, so I fixed that and set off again then after about two miles it did it again, then again after another two miles. The problem was I couldn’t tighten up the nut enough without it is affecting the brake cable hanger which kept moving and tightening the brakes against the rear wheel. I gave up and rode the bike with the saddle down until I got to a feed stop area that had a bike mechanic. They very helpfully sorted out the problem, and after cheese sarnie and a cuppa I was on my way again.

Then after another 5 miles I hit a dip in the road and down it went again, but I was quite close to another feed stop ( there were lots of them on this event), this time I suggested that we make shim out of can of drink to see if we could get that to stop the post slipping, after a bit of hunting around the side of the road I found a flattened Red Bull drinks can, the mechanic cut a couple of strips from it, fed them into the seat tube with the seat post tightened up and I was on my way again. Would it work?

After bout 10 miles of riding it started to rain, and it kept raining for the rest of the ride to Brighton, first it was just light drizzle, but then it got worse, and then it poured and everyone got soaked and the riding was bit more hazardous, the bike was performing well, the saddle seemed to be behaving itself and it was a comfortable machine to ride, even though it weighs a ton, and has old fashioned gears and not enough of them.

I managed to get up the hills at Woodmanstern, Chipstead, Nuffield got up all the hills except Ditchling, then the roads flattened out a bit or rolling lanes then riding was easier and relaxed and lot of banter and chats with other riders. I met a woman who was riding her uncles’ old bike, it was an old Raleigh with the same frame as mine just different branding. She challenged me to race up the next and off we went, she was winning but I finally caught up and only just pipped her to the top.

The rest of the ride was uneventful the wind and the rain became more unpleasant and by the time I got to Ditchling I was feeling a bit despondent, and I didn’t even bother to try and cycle up the hill, though I was walking up it faster than some of those riding, one young lad was riding up doing a wheelie, most impressive. Once at the top I stopped to take photos, though there wasn’t much to see because of the low cloud then it was downhill all the way to Brighton and to the finish line, and attack of cramp and medal.

The Fragrant Mrs P had got there and hour and a half earlier!

It was mostly a good day out on the bike, in fact almost any day out on a bike is better than not being on one, the event was well organised, and event crew were brilliant, just wish the weather had been better. My longest ride of the year so far, just over 59 miles.

The Fragrant MrsP and I managed to raise about £250.00 each, and her company will match her donation pound for pound so not a bad day’s fundraising so just over £750.00 in total.

0E79EA97-898C-4743-BCCB-D123CA142C4D.jpeg

The start.
74937B30-A4F8-478C-9103-1FF3818A6F44.jpeg

Time for a cuppa.

BA017BEA-D9D4-4853-8795-639484E21305.jpeg

58503CBE-0C94-407F-B733-1499334195C4.jpeg

0EB3076A-3980-4DD5-B68C-2BDE4195DF9A.jpeg

C4231C27-F58C-4A62-8F36-6F52355256C6.jpeg

1231EBA3-DA1C-4F5E-9EF3-0BF5EFCD3A32.jpeg

413875AD-80A5-440A-BC27-FD1913692899.jpeg

The finish
E4DBA1FF-E375-4FEC-BC23-D091238D6FEC.jpeg