Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After a three week hiatus (sickness, life in general and the blasted weather) I finally managed to sneak out this evening for a quick bimble. Took Wiggy #2, the Chartres as a) it was nearest the door and b) it was set up with lights.

Nothing special, just an 8 mile fizz to Littleport and back via Downham Common, Black Bank and Parson's Lane. But I did get to see the most wonderful sunset. :wub:

Just great to be back on a bike. :biggrin:

Tizme

Veteran
Once again I believed the BBC weather forecast and waited until the afternoon (Sunday) to get out, planning on a 24-miler to Williton via the Quantocks (and hopefully see a steam engine on the West Somerset Railway), I started in this:

DSCI0333.JPG

Soon progressing to this:

IMG_2963.JPG

And then, thanks to poor attention to detail in the planning phase, getting to here:

IMG_2966.JPG

(It was pouring down by this time).

Not being an off-roader and ever mindful of 2 replaced hips and a sparsity of any human life in eyesight, I very gingerly continued on the track knowing I would eventually get to a "proper" road, at least I was on 650B's and fatty tyres on my Sonder Camino.

If I was at least 20, okay 40, years younger I would probably have really enjoyed this bit of the ride, despite the rain and chilly wind, but I must admit to being somewhat relieved when I did finally reach the car park and then onto a tarmac road. As the weather was not improving I decided to cut my losses and turned on to the A39 and headed home. Despite the cold and wet, rough track, failing to reach Williton, or see a steam engine it was still a great ride.

Ride Map.jpg

C R

Guru
As it was dry at lunchtime I decided to go out for a quick spin, Kempsey, Kerswell Green and back via Pirton and Stonehall Common. The right turn for Littleworth was closed for resurfacing, so carried on and turned right through Hatfield.

As I was going past one of the drives on the left, some motion caught my eye and I swerved just in time to avoid a cyclist that came out looking only to his left. He tried to blame me, but I asked him what he thought would happen to him if I had been in a car, that seemed to drive the point home.

Great 10miles, but could have done without the excitement.

Last edited:

Mrs M

Guru
5404E24D-5747-4BA6-A850-8CEA7E9327E2.jpeg
FF6028EC-39FE-424A-9963-4AA176F4BA96.jpeg
DCAE57A2-31E7-4248-B6A5-B9866E0B5EDC.jpeg
5142AED2-8911-4A0F-9CDA-F0FDFEBA81A8.jpeg
Escaped work early for a wee toddle :sun:
Ended up at a local spot we’ve not been to for a while.
Fabulous views, also a welcome addition of a new bench to rest and enjoy.
Plus we met a new friend :wub:
A handsome wee youngster called Shadow, lapped up the cuddles and attention and enjoyed a game chasing some long grass.
Then home to eat our tea outside, still lovely :smile:

the_craig

Über Member
Looks lovely @Mrs M I do say hello to the cows, sheep and horses when I’m out myself.

Tonight I got lost.

My usual Tuesday 5’s game fell to bits so I had permission to take the bike out. The plan was for a 30-odd km loop around the blacklaw wind farm with my cycling buddy from work. But he didn’t fancy it. So I was on my own. I tried to add a wee bit extra to Wilsontown and the Forth rather than ride up the A706, which I don’t like. I expected a wee signpost to show the way but either I missed it or else it wasn’t there. So in the spirit of Forrest Gump, I just kept pedalling.

I ended up in a wee village called Woolford. Never heard of it, never even seen it on a map. Had a great descent which will be a brute of a climb the other way - one for the to do list. Legs felt great, the weather was great. I ended up doing 53km at an average pace of 26.8km/h and 528m upwards.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2461222040

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
My long-suffering wife may be joining the rest of us cycling enthusiasts as she suggested we go for a ride this morning. A gentle ride for me, a challenge for her, but enjoyable for both of us. We rode from Rother Valley Country Park to Pools Brook Country Park including once around the lake at Pools Brook. I was on my Fuji cross/gravel bike and she on her GT MTB.

13 and a quarter smiles.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday's ride:

I had a long ride planned but each weather forecast I looked at was different so I decided not to trust any of them and settled for something shorter instead; one of my regular routes (Longnor, Acton Burnell, Cressage, Walcot, Upton Magna, Condover, Lyth Hill) using the Raleigh.

There was hardly any wind and athough a little cool for the time of year when I set out it wasn't too bad. The Raleigh was a pleasure after using the knockabout bike for the last few rides.

The roads seemed unusually quiet this time which is quite nice really. I did encounter a handful of other cyclists on the way round.

There was a slight mechanical issue at Cressage when my chain jammed while changing down from the big ring. The lorry driver following me thought I was pulling over to let him past and gave a cheery wave, then by the time he was through the chain had freed itself and it behaved perfectly the rest of the trip.

Later in the trip I was taking a picture and another rider joined me to get the same shot and ask if I'd seen any other good spots to photograph poppies while I was out.

Not far from home a chap selling door-to-door walked out into the road ahead of me without looking, then after hearing the bell, demanded that I ring it again.:laugh:

35.6 miles at 15 mph average.

P6180281.JPG

A bucolic scene at Eaton Constantine.

P6180282.JPG

At Atcham the river has gone down since I was last here leaving the oxbow lake filled.

P6180287.JPG

I'm not sure that the photo really captures it but these poppies near Condover seemed more vibrant today.

Last edited:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Nice solo ride today. Managed to crack the 19 mph average. Quite pleased with myself.:laugh: Had to have a solo beer after that.:cheers:
Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/HueNuRheEX

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Nice solo ride today. Managed to crack the 19 mph average. Quite pleased with myself.:laugh: Had to have a solo beer after that.:cheers:
Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/HueNuRheEX
Well done! Kudos given! :notworthy:

I'm still dreaming of a 19 mph average!

I'm not jealous though.
Really, I'm not.
Not in the slightest.
Honest...
:laugh:

steven1988

Veteran
My long-suffering wife may be joining the rest of us cycling enthusiasts as she suggested we go for a ride this morning. A gentle ride for me, a challenge for her, but enjoyable for both of us. We rode from Rother Valley Country Park to Pools Brook Country Park including once around the lake at Pools Brook. I was on my Fuji cross/gravel bike and she on her GT MTB.

13 and a quarter smiles.

When is she racing CX then?

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
After a rather wet week the forecast for today was somewhat promising, though with some risk of rain at some point.

Out at quarter to seven with the aim of trying some new lanes. Shorts and short sleeve jersey, as it wasn't meant to be cold. It felt a bit nippy to start with, but after a couple of miles it felt fine. It had been sunny when I got up, but it was quite grey by the time I was on my way.

So out through town, towards Hallow, and then Sinton Green and Ockeridge aiming for Witley Court. Got there in about 50 minutes, which I think is a record for me. Stopped for a bit of a breather and a drink, and then carried on to Great Witley, turning left for Martley. This was what I thought would be the climb for today, and I took it steady, but let rip on the descent, as the road is quiet at this time of the day, and I know the bends, just around 32mph top speed.

I normally turn left for Ockeridge to head back to Worcester through the lanes, but today I decided to continue to Martley and Knightwick.

After Martley the road climbs again, in what turned out to be a more serious lump than I had expected, with some bits of it forcing me onto my lowest 28x32. Once you get to the top, it looks like there might be some glorious views towards Worcester, but not today.

The final drop to Knightwick is even steeper, and I went down the hill holding on to the brakes. I was considering doing the Tour of Worcester sportive in October, but it goes up this hill, and after actually seeing it, I am now reconsidering it.

At the bottom of the hill I crossed the Teme by the pedestrian bridge, and headed for Bransford via Alfrick and Leigh. This road again caught me out with some sharp lumps, though luckily these weren't as long.

By the time I reached Bransford I realised I may be a bit short of the 50k, so headed to the bridge to add some distance, instead of going to Powick directly via Station Road. So right at the Bridge, up the short climb, and then left at Collets Green. Checking the segments in Map My Ride later I noticed that @twentysix by twentyfive of this parish seems to have been this way recently as well
View attachment 471088
Past Powick I decided I couldn't face the farcility along the ring road, so headed for the Diglis bridge. It turns out that the river is rather full, with the lock gates almost under water
View attachment 471091
The path towards town this side is also flooded
View attachment 471092
And as it turns out so is the path to Diglis park on the other side, which meant I had to go round towards town to get back to Bath Road an then home through St Peters.

33.6 miles, with more up than I am used to, but good fun.

The map
View attachment 471093

Yep - I know those roads well. You went down Ankerdine Hill to the Teme at Knightwick. It's a notorious one in these here parts. Time was I used to race up it but I tend to avoid it now, going by Doddenham instead. Known to some as "Mini Ankerdine".

Top Bottom