Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Glorious evening take 2; albeit the wind seemed stronger. Brearton loop to Farnham where the westerly sun made the church seem less hidden by the roadside wall
Farnham5.jpg

Same at Arkendale where the prominent church was brightly lit
arkendale5.jpg

South towards Coneythorpe with a shadow companion
ark to coney.jpg

After Flaxby my continuing run of good luck at potentially awkward junctions with the A59 continued as the right turn onto it was completely unhindered. Quickly off it through Goldsborough; the surface dressing had well set since my last visit. Into Knaresborough and along the Nidd Gorge where the camera captured a cracking reflection of the surroundings in the Nidd.
kboro7.jpg

Back onto the A59 for the westerly climb from the town in a new PR; decided to stay on the vehicular carriageway rather than use the cycleway which climbs even more steeply evident here by the height of the fenced off cycleway.
a59 kboro-flh.jpg

25.42 miles 1184ft climbed Avg 13.6 miles
200619 route.jpg
200619 elevation.jpg

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Two rides, but the first barely counts . . .

19th June 2019

Hmmmpfff! Back wheel out of true, far enough to be hitting the brake blocks. A couple of slack spokes found. More Hmmmpfff!! My spoke key does not have a big enough slot. Sod, go for a ride anyway and see if it becomes worse.

It did, so just at the Oakwood Clock I turned around and carefully headed home to record nine miles for the journey. This afternoon I will hopefully buy a spoke key that fits and true the wheel. No complaints about the wheel, it’s a Shimano RS31 and it has been fine for the 3200 miles I have ridden it since the purchase new in October 2016. That is not a lot of riding, but I do have a couple of other bikes that are ridden.

To finish the tale, spoke key bought, but the spoke was broken. At the thread end but with a length of spoke still in the nipple just to confuse things. New spokes ordered.

21st June 2019

So, with the geared bike waiting for bits, it’s a ride on the fixed again this morning. Plenty of blue sky to encourage me, and off I went. The usual detour through Holbeck sort of persuades the legs to work a bit, and today the way out of Leeds was through Hunslet. This direction is where the flatter riding is, 28 miles and just shy of 1000 feet of up today almost qualifies as flat here.

It is still a pull to reach John o’ Gaunts, then give away the gain in height to ride down past Woodlesford station to the Wakefield Road. Turn left to cross the canal and the river, then a two step hill into Swillington. The road carries on, still rising gently until the outskirts of Garforth can be seen, which is approached downhill. Only to start climbing again from the roundabout, no matter which exit is taken. Around the northern side today, ride across the railway and later the motorway to reach the B 1217. This road passes the wind farm at Hook Moor on the way to the gates of Lotherton House, turn left there and ride up and down to Aberford. The main street, formerly the A 1, also has gradients. Which are repeated after the left turn onto Cattle Lane.

Barwick next, after crossing Cock Beck and the climb out of what should really be a little valley but doesn’t feel like one. A bit of a ridge at the other side of the village, down again to enter Scholes and again up to cross what was once a railway line. Turning left onto the A 64 was not at all difficult. Turning right onto Thorner Lane was difficult. A spasm of busy arrived there at the same time I did, that right turn took a while. Still, Skeltons Lane and Red Hall Lane were their usual quiet selves, as was the A 58 when I reached it. The descent after crossing the Ring Road was a bit slower than usual, legs refused to spin faster than twenty six and a bit mph this morning. Being fair, even when fitter I spin out at 29 +, never seen thirty on the fixed for all that I have tried. The approach to the unused gates at Roundhay Park was the last up bit of the ride, save a very minor rise to cross Crown Point Bridge, and the river Aire, to take me back into Hunslet and out again to home. Big smile when I reached that, it was a good ride.

The Garthing has produced this map so many times . . .

21062019.jpg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Bit of a mixed ride today. Only 15.5 miles, as something started to sound badly wrong just as I was approaching the village of Saul, 7 miles into my ride. Sounded for all the world like a broken spoke, but they all seemed nice and tight. The noise persisted even when I wasn't pedalling, and sounded like someone shaking a tin of nuts and bolts, with the occasional twang. Turned around and headed for home, trying all the while to establish whether it was the front or the rear wheel. Really couldn't be sure. Fortunately, I'd invested in having a couple of spare wheels made, so as soon as I got home I was able to stick a new rear wheel on and take it for a test. Perfect. Smooth and silent. Reckon I must have knackered a hub bearing. I'll leave that for the LBS to sort out.

I was pleased with the performance of my new Skechers trainers today. I have been riding with the same pair of size 14 astroturf football trainers for several years now, and had been unable to find anything similar in my size. I did once find a pair of size 13s, but I can only wear them for about 20 miles before my feet start to hurt. The new Skechers won't be waterproof and might not take an overshoe, so I'll only wear them on dry weather rides. They are supremely comfortable though, and the grip is so good that I had to loosen the straps a bit to get my feet in. Two problems solved today then.
Cheers, Donger.

Not posted on here for ages but a couple of nice rides in the past week.

Last Sunday was a brisk 117k incorporating the busway, Cambridge,Six Mile Bottom and villages south of Newmarket before going back to Ely via Soham and Wicken.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2455026174

Today was a 63k ride out and back to Denver Mill eith the better half.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2468054931

This time with pics:smile:

Bikes at the cafe stop at Denver Mill

IMG_3784.jpg

Coffee and cake

IMG_3782.jpg

Bikes at Denver sluice

IMG_3781.jpg

Great Ouse River looking South

IMG_3780.jpg

And looking North with the better half patiently waiting for the photographer:whistle::laugh:

IMG_3779.jpg

gavgav

Guru
Making the most of the dry interlude, before the Monsoon Rains return on Sunday, with an after work ride for the Second day running.

A fairly stiff breeze again, but from a Northerly direction today, which meant I’d be cycling into it for the first half of the ride, but would have a nice tailwind afterwards.

Out through Sutton, Reabrook and along the cycle paths to Heathgates. Crossing the road there was difficult, due to the rush hour traffic, but eventually got across and through Sundorne, along the old Canal path and out onto the road at Uffington.

I climbed up towards Upton Magna, where, on approaching the village, I came up behind the slightly bizarre sight of a chap pushing an upright Fridge/Freezer, on a sack truck, up the middle of the road!! He clearly couldn’t see where he was going, behind his load, and was approaching a car coming the other way! I managed to nip past on the left, warning him there was a car coming the other way :eek: I hope he wasn’t going far....

Turned down the Pelham Rd, with the wind behind now and cruised along at a good pace, for me, continuing down the straight, to Atcham, where I set a new Strava segment best, averaging 19mph for a mile or so. That’s fast for me!

The River Severn is now back where it should be, in its banks! and the floods have receded. The barriers are still up, however, on Chilton Lane, saying road closed due to floods, but I risked it and there was no water at all along there!

The final section back from Betton Abbots was into the wind again and I encountered the one knob of the ride, who overtook me, across double white lines, on a blind bend, into the path of a car coming the other way, forcing them to brake and swerve, with the knob cutting across closely, in front of me :thumbsdown:

If he’d had to wait at the junction for the A458 then I would have questioned his lack of brain cells, but he had a gap in the traffic and got away before I had the chance.

Back through the estate to avoid the roadworks, with 15.77 miles on the clock at 12.8mph avg.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
This year I'm trying to do an Audax RRtY; everything looked rosy in January but multiple setbacks mean I've still only done 10 rides since the start of the year. I needed another 200km+ ride before the end of June to stay on course, and apart from physical imperfections of the rider yesterday was pretty much ideal.

My route followed a favourite formula; following the axis of the Gloucester - Leominster road. There's infinite variety to be had by exploring either side so it never feels dull. The wide, flat valley of the river Arrow is a good destination. Here's what I had planned for yesterday, anticlockwise in the lower section, clockwise in the upper:

19Jun21m.JPG

By not going over 500 feet I made sure the elevation profile looked suitably flattering:

19Jun21e.JPG

The Arrow valley is the steady descent through the 70s. I don't remember it being quite that easy. :wacko:

After all the recent rain I was pleased to see the small rivers are looking refreshed but back to normal levels. I didn't take any chances with the Severn, and crossed both ways on the A40 at Gloucester.

I tend to avoid Ledbury these days, preferring to head through Eastnor and Colwall to Bosbury. After that I did my best to follow contours before the road starts to rise more seriously towards Weobley and beyond. After that, it was pretty obvious I was getting tired and the return would be something of a battle. Here is the picture-postcard village of Eardisland to lift the spirits:

DSCN0110a.JPG

And another crossing a few miles later, showing a healthy flow:

DSCN0112a.JPG

I slipped past Leominster to the south via Ivington, and then picked up the A417 for a while. There's clearly been a lot of grass harvesting since the rain stopped; many times I'd be waiting impatiently for a vehcile to pass, only to find it had a heavily loaded trailer and that the driver's task was much harder than I'd imagined. But they always seemed to catch me at awkward points.

As on the way out, I didn't stay on the A road all the time, and left it for good at Dymock to finish via Kempley and Newent. Finally, approaching the village of Highnam just outside Gloucester a couple of buses caught me at the worst possible moments, causing extreme stress to at least one motorist who consequently missed a phase of the traffic lights at the bottom of the hill.

Just over the 200km mark at 124.90 miles, and with an early start back in time for the first race at Royal Ascot (on +1). A fine day out.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Gorgeous day here so a 20 mile bimble for me..blue skies and sunshine all round. Strava failed to record my ride for some reason, but hey ho.

2 cyclists, 4 or 5 cars and one rider and horse.^_^.

I wore a pair of cycling shorts that I bought sometime ago. Corrine Dennis ones as they were recommended. I do not however.^_^. My ride was quite painful with around 5 miles to go.:wacko:

20190622_112412.jpg
20190622_103220.jpg
20190622_112032.jpg
20190622_111647.jpg
20190622_111645.jpg

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
A "like" for the ride @welsh dragon not for the uncomfy shorts.

Thanks. :hello:

Yellowhammer.jpg
I was out the door at 8.30 and decided on my Brettenham route but the traffic about at that time (Westbound A14 closed for engineering works) was worse than I thought would be about so decided on a change of route. I went out along Combs lane, that was busy and was beginning to think that cycling Saturday mornings is not a good idea. However I cycled out past Stow golf club and then to Buxhall before turning right and down to Rattlesden. Since I changed my route I knew that I had a good climb out and then on to Woolpit Green and then to Shelland and Haughley. Once I got to Buxhall the roads were a lot quieter and thus more enjoyable except. Whilst descending into Rattlesden there is a sharp bend before meeting the street. To my amazement there were two people with dogs on flexi-leads standing one either side of the road. As the road is quite narrow it did`nt give me a lot of room to pass, I had slowed down anyway. Neither of them moved when they saw me, they just watched. Luckily the dogs did`nt go for me either or get taken out by a lead. It just goes to show you never know what is around the next bend.
From Haughley it was on to Old Newton, Gipping and then Stowupland and back into Stowmarket. By coming back this way I knew there would`nt be all the diverted traffic to fret about. I should have gone on my other route. I did`nt see an awful lot out, just one yellowhammer and an albino pheasant. As I was lucky enough to take a picture of a yellowhammer in the week (whilst out walking) I thought that I`d post it here. Usually all you see is a flash of yellow, whether you are on a bike or not !
The ride was 23.8 at an average of 17.4 mph and was quite anjoyable excepting the first 3-4 miles.

delb0y

Legendary Member
An "inadvertent" 47 this morning. I'd popped over to see my folks but realised I was going to get there a bit too early so I tagged on a short loop... Considering that for three months I've not done more than a 20, I'm pleased that I made it home (especially as the only fuel was a cup of tea and a bowl of Kellogg's Crunchy Nut" Was a bit peckish when I got back...). Actually my longest ride of the year.

P1060092.JPG

P1060099.JPG

Attachments

• P1060095.JPG
    P1060095.JPG
    269.5 KB · Views: 9
Not posted on here for ages but a couple of nice rides in the past week.

Last Sunday was a brisk 117k incorporating the busway, Cambridge,Six Mile Bottom and villages south of Newmarket before going back to Ely via Soham and Wicken.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2455026174

Today was a 63k ride out and back to Denver Mill eith the better half.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2468054931

This time with pics:smile:

Bikes at the cafe stop at Denver Mill

View attachment 471817

Coffee and cake

View attachment 471818

Bikes at Denver sluice

View attachment 471819

Great Ouse River looking South

View attachment 471820

And looking North with the better half patiently waiting for the photographer:whistle::laugh:

View attachment 471821
Great pics!

A grand total of five rides today:

Ride 1: With Beautiful wife and daughter to second hand shop in next town (1.7k)
Ride 2: Sent to keep myself occupied while they spent fifteen minutes trying on used trainers or something. Remembered I had to pick something up a couple of towns away. Thankfully it was a flat ride and I made it there and back inside the 15 min. (6,4k)
Ride 3: Beautiful wife agreed the weather was nice enough to go for a ride, so we went around the fields and visited a farm so Beautiful daughter could say hello to the goats, and cows, and cats, and ducks, and ponies. (6k)
Ride 4: Off to Aldi with the Backfiets. (2k, but Bakfiets distances count double, especially when they're uphill into a head wind), and...
Ride 5: Ride back in the absolute pishing rain. (2k)

18k in total.

Last edited:
Top Bottom