Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well done @LeetleGreyCells . I think you are right. If you can do it in this heat, there's no stopping you. I always find the Summer rides harder than the Winter ones in the Century-a-month Challenge. You are also right about the padded mits ... a life saver.

Big effort @LeetleGreyCells, well done!! :cheers:

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Good ride @LeetleGreyCells. Remeber those roads from my youth. There are some nice lanes around there and I remember the canal at Gringley on the Hill being a lovely spot. Did you go there?
Would also recommend the roads around Epworth and Owston Ferry which are flat but there's not much traffic so it's a pleasant ride.

The last 20 kilometres were difficult, but I got through them. My legs were in the zone even if the rest of me wasn't. The most pain I have is in my hands despite continually changing my hand position from hoods to tops to drops. I'm definitely going to have to buy some new mitts with decent padding at the base of the palms.

I've suffered with numbness in my hands after cycling long distances. After one eleven day tour on rough roads I'd lost all fine motor skills in both hands - couldn't write or shave or type and could only eat with a spoon so it was pretty bad and lasted for over a month before I got all feeling back.

What I learned from that experience is that it doesn't matter how much padding you have if your position is wrong. There are lots of resources to help you get it right but it can take a lot of 'trial and improvement' faffing but it's worth it.
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitness/bike-fit/set-up-new-road-bike-370764

Having said that, gel mitts are miles better than foam ones and it may be worth getting gel wrap for your bars too.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Good ride @LeetleGreyCells. Remeber those roads from my youth. There are some nice lanes around there and I remember the canal at Gringley on the Hill being a lovely spot. Did you go there?
Would also recommend the roads around Epworth and Owston Ferry which are flat but there's not much traffic so it's a pleasant ride.

I've suffered with numbness in my hands after cycling long distances. After one eleven day tour on rough roads I'd lost all fine motor skills in both hands - couldn't write or shave or type and could only eat with a spoon so it was pretty bad and lasted for over a month before I got all feeling back.

What I learned from that experience is that it doesn't matter how much padding you have if your position is wrong. There are lots of resources to help you get it right but it can take a lot of 'trial and improvement' faffing but it's worth it.
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitness/bike-fit/set-up-new-road-bike-370764

Having said that, gel mitts are miles better than foam ones and it may be worth getting gel wrap for your bars too.
Thanks @jongooligan It's the first time I've had any problems with my hands on this bike (usually suffer on flat bars because of unnatural horizontal hand position) and I changed my hand position regularly too plus consciously relaxed my hand, arm and general riding position often too. Thanks for the link - I'll see what I can do to change my set up to help. I'm no where near ready for an 11 day tour (if every day is a long distance > 45 miles), but I can appreciate how your hands felt. I couldn't grip anything properly last night with any kind of strength. It's a weird feeling.

I'll be looking for some gel mitts though too. This morning I had a look at my foam ones I wore yesterday, and the foam is now non-existent.

Fabby ride @LeetleGreyCells :notworthy:

Tiredness could be a factor in the sore / numb hands thing - I know it is with me. And maybe saddle, bars or even cleats could be tweaked a touch. What about clothing comfort? It's amazing sometimes how much difference that makes too...

I once bought a pair of shorts that didn't suit me. Meant I was riding in a slightly different position to usual, and yeah, oww, my hands... :cry:

Thanks @jongooligan It's the first time I've had any problems with my hands on this bike (usually suffer on flat bars because of unnatural horizontal hand position) and I changed my hand position regularly too plus consciously relaxed my hand, arm and general riding position often too. Thanks for the link - I'll see what I can do to change my set up to help. I'm no where near ready for an 11 day tour (if every day is a long distance > 45 miles), but I can appreciate how your hands felt. I couldn't grip anything properly last night with any kind of strength. It's a weird feeling.

I'll be looking for some gel mitts though too. This morning I had a look at my foam ones I wore yesterday, and the foam is now non-existent.

I started having trouble when I started riding longer distances despite changing position consciously as you did. I reckon I'm okay for the first 80-100k but after that I need gloves as well.

Last edited:
Today was the day I rode my first metric century. In what eventually became 35ºC according to my Wahoo. I must be insane.

I'd plotted a course on Komoot a while ago for this ride opting for as flat as possible to ensure I got around. Lesson for next time - check your route far more carefully. I ended up riding approximately 1/4 of the ride on very busy roads which was not particularly enjoyable. The rest of the ride was great.

I headed out towards Maltby on the edge of Rotherham (Yorkshire), worked my way in to Doncaster borough through Bawtry then heading down to Retford (Nottinghamshire). There are some very pretty villages in rural Doncaster (no photos as I was focused on completing my ride (except one - see ABC Towns and Villages thread)). Had a spot of lunch from Greggs (cheap and cheerful) followed by an ice cream from the van on the road from which I was leaving Retford. Found my way to Worksop and then re-entered Yorkshire to find my way home.

The last 20 kilometres were difficult, but I got through them. My legs were in the zone even if the rest of me wasn't. The most pain I have is in my hands despite continually changing my hand position from hoods to tops to drops. I'm definitely going to have to buy some new mitts with decent padding at the base of the palms.

A great ride in very hot temperatures. 1400ml of water (with electrolyte tabs) consumed (not enough). Plus a bottle of Oasis from Greggs.

I know that if I could complete the ride in today's heat, I could do it any time. Now for a well-earned rest (at least until the kids wake up in the morning...).

Oh, and the grin is still on my face from when I arrived home ^_^

My that was a good ride in that heat yesterday. I did 24 miles after midday and consumed 750ml of water in 80 minutes and that was not enough, little and often. On the mitts front, I have several pairs but perhaps the best pair were a pair I bought years ago with gel palms from Lidl. Another thing of course is bar tape. I have tried gel inserts under the tape in strategic places but find the best thing is to put old bar tape along the tops and on the top of the drops, tape that on with electrical tape and then wind your tape on. Just a thought. So where to today ?

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Fabby ride @LeetleGreyCells :notworthy:

Tiredness could be a factor in the sore / numb hands thing - I know it is with me. And maybe saddle, bars or even cleats could be tweaked a touch. What about clothing comfort? It's amazing sometimes how much difference that makes too...

I once bought a pair of shorts that didn't suit me. Meant I was riding in a slightly different position to usual, and yeah, oww, my hands... :cry:
The clothing is the same jersey and shorts I always wear so I don't think that's the issue on this occasion. I did wonder about saddle, bars and cleats and will look into that in tweaking my bike set up.

My that was a good ride in that heat yesterday. I did 24 miles after midday and consumed 750ml of water in 80 minutes and that was not enough, little and often. On the mitts front, I have several pairs but perhaps the best pair were a pair I bought years ago with gel palms from Lidl. Another thing of course is bar tape. I have tried gel inserts under the tape in strategic places but find the best thing is to put old bar tape along the tops and on the top of the drops, tape that on with electrical tape and then wind your tape on. Just a thought.
I was looking at gel inserts for bars and I need to replace the bar tape (as well as renew gear and brake cables) so it may be worth a go. I like the idea of recycling the old bar tape too so will probably try that first.

So where to today?
Today? No where. I ache. 'Nuff said. ;)

The clothing is the same jersey and shorts I always wear so I don't think that's the issue on this occasion. I did wonder about saddle, bars and cleats and will look into that in tweaking my bike set up.

I was looking at gel inserts for bars and I need to replace the bar tape (as well as renew gear and brake cables) so it may be worth a go. I like the idea of recycling the old bar tape too so will probably try that first.

Today? No where. I ache. 'Nuff said. ;)

I found the old bar tape the best ( Cinelli gel inserts redundant). I got the idea really from Mark Cavendish who double wraps his bars, which I tried but was too bulky. Since it is only where your weight falls (if that is the right description) that is where you need the cushioning. Even the angle of the drops can make a difference, says he who has experimented because of the same issues you have.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I found the old bar tape the best ( Cinelli gel inserts redundant). I got the idea really from Mark Cavendish who double wraps his bars, which I tried but was too bulky. Since it is only where your weight falls (if that is the right description) that is where you need the cushioning. Even the angle of the drops can make a difference, says he who has experimented because of the same issues you have.
I'll be doing this then. Along the tops, base of the hoods and on the drops. I will look at the angle of the drops too.

postman

Legendary Member
Little tootle to Otley.Saw the remains of a terrible two car crash,one car left the road and finished in a front garden.Otley Road sealed off,but the Police let me through.Not sure what happened but my new phone only showed 18 miles on Strava,it is at least 24 i have been doing this ride for 30 odd years.Wonderful to be out after the excess of an American holiday.

Top Bottom