Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ever have one of them rides where everything goes to sh1t but you can’t help but laugh anyway? This was it for me......
Setting off at 0830 with the Saga CC boys heading into the Derbyshire Dales, and with Ashbourne as the target destination, debuting the winter bikes for the winter 19/20 season, this turned out to be a very wise choice indeed.......

It was all familiar lanes as we made our way northwards, the wind had picked up a little (SW) but this didn’t really deter us.
The recent weather had wreaked havoc in the area and we had anticipated this, so this was a familiar sight.....
01601944-9B21-4BA7-BE08-504560F08ED8.jpeg

and once this little hurdle was overcome we had two punctures (not me) within 2/10ths of a mile of each other
B2CF1802-1126-43E4-A1A4-75C5114652C1.jpeg
Once fixed, we continued on and came across this:
85F98175-2AFC-4AD5-9E36-15D6291899E8.jpeg

695A42A7-679D-4B07-9854-B57864524135.jpeg
Luckily, we were able to squeeze through the stranded vehicles after checking with the drivers that all was ok.
More lumpiness followed and before long we arrived at Ashbourne, our pit stop for a well earned bite and brew....
0EEC0098-B2F8-47A1-A167-B3C7EFA58D01.jpeg

675DD13B-B0F5-4F06-8BDB-CD1E66A5E542.jpeg

A83E5F39-B045-487C-A417-CCFDF046B57B.jpeg
Bellies full and digits dried and defrosted, we set off back towards Willington, again through familiar lanes yet negotiating our GPS units trying to send us through fields, we arrived at Sudbury only to be forced to divert from our route due to a police incident on the A515.
Unfortunately for us, there was only one other way we could go without risking life and limb down the nearby A50 and that was through Scropton and Hatton.
Unfortunate, because it runs alongside the River Dove and it’s renowned for bursting its banks in this neck of the woods. We had to chance it and true to form for a good stretch of three miles or more the road was completely submerged in frequent patches!
Approaching Scropton, and another wet patch, I spotted that the kerb was relatively dry and so I headed over towards it.....

Unfortunately the kerb was a little higher than I had judged and the wheels went from under me and down I went.....
5DB39D25-82FE-4DA3-B467-6775B92F7BB6.jpeg

I knew I was coming off and was able to turn myself around in time for a soft landing on my back! I froze for a moment, taking in what had occurred and just laughed my head off! Unhurt and the bike unaffected, Rob was in stitches and couldn’t resist a photo opportunity!
Eventually we were back up and running, laughing out the way, and the roads dried out again as we got into Hatton. From here it was five miles or so of pan flat riding back to Willington, where we could dry out a little before we got back to the car park.

Just a smidge under 52 miles today, plenty of events and plenty of laughs along the way. An excellent day out, memorable to say the very least!
54E37157-8B91-439E-AC41-E2BCD8F22883.jpeg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
My first ride in a while due to illness and busyness.

I tried to keep it flat.... South Devon!!!
After yesterday’s rain there were a few floods about. A chilly, sunny day!

Attachments

• F5FB5832-C19D-4910-BC59-860EDFE6032F.jpeg
    F5FB5832-C19D-4910-BC59-860EDFE6032F.jpeg
    238 KB · Views: 2
  • 758E7D60-0BDB-4573-9489-20CA74A95F04.jpeg
    758E7D60-0BDB-4573-9489-20CA74A95F04.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 4E519AEF-A847-461B-8147-DBC58F09F3A3.jpeg
    4E519AEF-A847-461B-8147-DBC58F09F3A3.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 2
  • F405B627-1FFC-4598-B5DB-C5DA7BC0E419.jpeg
    F405B627-1FFC-4598-B5DB-C5DA7BC0E419.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 2
  • B1686EA5-CD4E-4E19-8137-7542F52EEAF8.jpeg
    B1686EA5-CD4E-4E19-8137-7542F52EEAF8.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 2
  • FBD3B714-F644-4993-9BBA-24D0E51C02AC.jpeg
    FBD3B714-F644-4993-9BBA-24D0E51C02AC.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 2
  • BA06B4C2-829F-46B3-B9C1-926C8EC90084.jpeg
    BA06B4C2-829F-46B3-B9C1-926C8EC90084.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 3

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I watched Wales being beaten by the Springbox this morning :sad: and then took advantage of the good but cold weather to go for a ride. I had a route in my head and stuck to it, all 35 miles of it. For some reason, I really struggled for the last 5 miles and was glad to get home. In fact, with only 1 mile to go, I had to stop and have a small rest cos my legs were gone. It can't be lack of food as I had a hefty breakfast while watching the rugby,and a banana and two chocolate bars on the way as well as plenty to drink. I put it down to only going out once a week and shorter rides too. My legs still feel tired and I also feel a bit dizzy now, 3 hours after completing the ride. Must be old age.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I watched Wales being beaten by the Springbox this morning :sad: and then took advantage of the good but cold weather to go for a ride. I had a route in my head and stuck to it, all 35 miles of it. For some reason, I really struggled for the last 5 miles and was glad to get home. In fact, with only 1 mile to go, I had to stop and have a small rest cos my legs were gone. It can't be lack of food as I had a hefty breakfast while watching the rugby,and a banana and two chocolate bars on the way as well as plenty to drink. I put it down to only going out once a week and shorter rides too. My legs still feel tired and I also feel a bit dizzy now, 3 hours after completing the ride. Must be old age.
Well done for getting out .... and persevering.

pjd57

Veteran
strava4514594875254543512.jpg

Couldn't decide where I was heading today. When I'm with a mate, it's easy , I just follow him.
So as usual I opted for the easy option.
Falkirk wheel and back.
Canal path all the way there and back, then an extra few miles in Glasgow.
Lovely day, sunny but a bit of a cold wind.

C R

Guru
What a glorious day today after yesterday's deluge. And lucky for me, today I was going for my first imperial half doing the Tour of Worcester sportive. Alas, yesterday's weather was still going to play a part in today's proceedings.

Up earlyish, as registration was opening at 7:30, with riders starting to set off at 8:00. I had planned to ride to the start, but my wife convinced me that it would be better to drive. So had everything ready from the night before, and I only needed to have breakfast and load the bike in the car. The weather was bright and beautiful, but there was ice on the windscreen, so scrape the ice and then on the way to the Race course.

Once I got to the race course, the route that we were supposed to follow to the free car park was flooded, so I went to the pay and display instead, as I expected that the flood would get worse through the day, as it always does.

So cycled in to the registration, where we were told that there would be significant changes to the route due to flooding in various places, and that the start was delayed to half past eight, to give time to finish inspecting the route.

It also transpired that the stuff they were meant to be handing out was now surrounded by the flood in the pavilion. This wad the view of my bike, against the backdrop of the flood.

You can see the pavilion surrounded by water behind. The water came up about 20cm during the time we were waiting for the all clear to start.

It was cold, and standing around was starting to get uncomfortable, but finally by half eight people started setting off. I was out with the fourth or fifth wave. Out over the bridge, past the flooding cricket ground, and a left for Powick. Not much traffic at this time of the day, but we had an idiot that overtook the group going the wrong way around a pedestrian refuge. The group started stretching, and by the time we passed Callow End I was bringing up the rear. The two people ahead of me were doing ok downhill, but seemed to be struggling uphill. I eventually overtook, and soon they dropped behind. I was now riding on my own, and some riders from the next wave started to come past. I caught up with a small group, and stayed with them for a bit, but I couldn't keep up with them on the descent, so reached the turn at Rhydd on my own again. This became a bit of a theme. I would catch up with people on the uphill, but couldn't keep up on the downhill. Probably to do with gearing and the fact that I ride a flatbar.

So turned right headed for Malvern, past Guarlford, and starting the climb towards Church Street in Barnards Green. I took it easy, and managed to make it in one go to the traffic lights, which being red gave me a brief respite before attacking the last really steep bit, and then turning left. I took my first rest by the post office, getting ready for the climb up to the Wyche. This went easier than I expected, so I just carried on to Colwall, though quite a few people stopped to catch their breath and take in the views.

The descent into Colwall was fast, and here was the first change to the announced route, instead of turning into Mill Lane, we carried on and turned further up the hill, heading now towards Cradley.

I caught up with a couple, and overtook going up, but then they caught up with me going down, so I just took a tow from them all the way to Cradley, and the left turn up the hill, where they stopped for a break. I carried on, and got lucky that I didn't have to stop to turn right at Ridgeway Cross. I took a rest in here for a nut bar and a drink, and set off again. Caught up with a couple of guys that were not slow enough for me to overtake, but not fast enough to pull away from me, so the three of us trundled up the rest of the hill. I managed to hold on with them until we went past Acton Green, but I was starting to feel a bit tired, so dropped back to a more relaxed pace, to make sure I still had something left for Ankerdine hill.

So I was now on my own again, for the last part of the descent to Knightwick. As it turns out, as @twentysix by twentyfive mentioned earlier, the flooding had closed Ankerdine, so we instead followed the A44 along the narrow Teme flood plain, to Dodenham, were the route took up up some narrow lanes, where I had trouble with my rear wheel slipping when standing up, but I managed to make it all the way up without stopping. Then a swift descent into Martley and the feed stop.

The feed stop was quite well supplied, with cakes of different types, sausage rolls and bananas. I had a banana, some cake, and refilled my bottle, and after visiting the boys room I was again on my way for the last 15 miles.

Between Martley and Great Witley there's a bit of a hill, nothing like the previous three, but my legs were now starting to feel the distance, so I took it easy to the top, and left gravity do the rest to Great Witley. Between here and Shrawley the way is mostly down hill, and I was letting gravity do more work, to keep something for the last two ramps. Going up to Holt Heath was a bit of hard work, but I got to the top without dismounting, and then the final change of route was telling us to go via Hallow, instead of Holt Fleet, which saved my legs the climb from the river to Ombersley. So now with a flatter rolling route I could put a bit more effort to bring my average speed up, though works in Hallow interfered a bit with that.

So, I made it back to the race course in four and a half hours, riding for four of those. It was a new experience, but not sure it is the right thing for a loner like me. I may try again next year. We'll see.

In terms of the other challenge of the day, which was doing a 50 mile ride, I am very happy. I paced myself adequately, and managed a riding speed not too far below my 50km rides, considering the amount of climbing in the route.

The map

IMG_20191027_145511.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Once again I haven't been out for over a week (a stinker of a cold this time) so went out today to enjoy the dry weather and have a nose at the water levels after the deluge Friday/Saturday. I even persuaded my brother to come with me for once.^_^

We headed into town via the English Bridge, did a meandering route to the Welsh Bridge, investigated Frankwell car park (you'll see why shortly) then headed along Smithfield Road towards the old gaol and dropped down to the weir before I headed out of town to Uffington, Upton Magna, Atcham and home via Condover.

The first blockage we found was the underpass at Meole Brace (as Gav has already mentioned). It is well under water but has been a good couple of feet higher judging by the tide mark. Fortunately there is a new light controlled crossing on the roundabout to use, which we did.

Getting into town, Victoria Avenue was flooded at the St. Julians Friars end, then again under Kingsland Bridge. I'd expected it to be higher to be honest - the floods in June put on more of a show.

After crossing the Welsh Bridge we headed into the car park which was filling with water at the far end and as expected there were some vehicles that hadn't been moved in time. The river was still rising at this point so by now these vehicles will be properly flooded out.

Going up the hill to the prison a vehicle following hooted at us which I thought was a bit of a cheek as when they did come past it was obvious they were lost and held us up aftwerwards while they tried to get their bearings.

At Sydney Avenue our way was barred again and we weren't the only ones out to look at the floods. Hopefully it was all bringing trade to the cafe there whose access was still dry....just.

Doug wanted to get back so we parted at Telford Way and I carried on along the old canal path to Uffington then onto the lanes to Upton Magna. Usually the canal path wouldn't be a good idea after heavy rain but this time the worst of the mud seemed to have been washed away from the gravel surface.

There was debris from the recent flash floods on the way to Upton Magna and a fountaining manhole cover just after the village. I have a nasty feeling that one was a foul drain.xx(

At Atcham the flood plain was doing what its name suggests and looked quite picturesque in the sunshine. The road I'd usually take to Cross Houses was under water as was Chilton Farm Lane so I had to brave the busy old A5 for a short stretch to find the other way round.

No chance of a shortcut today as the lane at Allfield has "road closed" signs up so I presume that is flooded too (it doesn't drain well at the best of times). I took the shorter main road route back from Condover but didn't enjoy it particularly due to a headwind and an ignorant close-pass.:dry:

Despite that it felt good to get back out on the bike. 21.7 miles at a fairly leisurely 11 mph average.

Victoria Avenue. The river is just lapping over the path. We considered riding through it but a large dog splashing about in the water made us realise it's deeper than it looks so we went round.

The view from Town Walls.

Another blockage at Kingsland Bridge. This time we know it's too deep to ride without getting wet feet

In Frankwell car park the water is rushing in pretty well. At the time I'm writing this I'd expect the water to be up to the door handles.

At Sydney Avenue. Another place wehere the water is only just lapping over the road but I know it'll be deeper further on.

Atcham. I'm quite pleased with how this shot came out.

What, nobody sitting out in the garden on a nice sunny day like this?:whistle:

I'm not going to attempt the road to Cross Houses.........

.......... and Chilton Farm Lane is as bad.

Last edited:

Mr Celine

Discordian
Saturday's ride. Staying over at my brother's house for dinner etc so I decided to cycle there, with Mrs Celine in the team car. Going beyond my normal range of loops from home adds a bit of variety. I could have ridden home today but 45 miles into a howling headwind is not my idea of fun.
It was a lovely sunny day but a lot colder than it's been for months. I was in full winter gear but still on the summer bike, albeit with race blades fitted.
First photostop was on the A6112 at the top of the stiff climb up from Preston, looking north over the Whiteadder Water.

Next up a roadside trig point. It's been at least 4 years since I last cycled up this way and the windfarms weren't there last time. (One in the foreground, two on the horizon and another one behind me.)

A mile and a half to the north of the trig point was the day's summit. A fine view to the North Sea with Torness nuclear power station and some more windmills.

One last stop on the bridge over the Dunglass Dean. This ravine is the boundary between Berwickshire on the right and East Lothian on the left. The bridge I'm on has a rather low parapet as I discovered when walking backwards to get a wider shot. The deck is 25m above the stream bed. :eek:

This bridge was constructed in 1798 for the turnpike road and is the most southerly of five bridges at this location. In the background is the 1845 bridge for the North British Railway, the 1932 reinforced concrete rib-arched bridge for the A1 and it's 1992 steel beam replacement. Not visible is the original early 17th century pack-horse bridge.

The map -
1572213709059.png

46.4 miles @ 15.2 mph, 995m up.

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A short test ride this morning

I had just collected the Twenty Alpha that I paid a tenner for on eBay., it’s a June ‘78 model. Pumped up the tyres, un-seized and adjusted the gears, adjusted the brakes including shortening the far to long rear brake cable, cleaned and lubricated the chain, raised the saddle and bars and patched up the saddle with gaffer tape and took it for a ride.

Just over two miles around the village dropping off a couple of quid to the lady what sells the poppies here, then up the old railway track for some phIt rides well for a neglected 40 year old bike, it’s not as nice as the Kingpin, feels more cramped but it’s ok.

I need to decide what to do with it now.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
20191028_141454[1].jpg
Bought a Ridley X Bow the other day. It's been used for commuting but I decided to take it back to its natural habitat with a ride around Cong Burn Woods.

20191028_141442[1].jpg

Ridley X Bow in Cong Burn Woods

First impressions are:
a) it's too small for me - not too worried about that as I won't be riding it for long periods
b) it's heavy, surprisingly heavy for a Ridley :sad:
c) those tyres are no good in mud - lots of side slipping and back wheel locks up really easily
d) it's overgeared for this type of thing

It was a lot of fun blatting around the woods though. I enjoyed it much more on this bike than I do on my son's MTB.

Now deciding whether to keep it or sell it on. If I keep it I'll replace the tyres and probably the cassette and chain.
Only 7 miles but I'm flipping worn out now.

Top Bottom