Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The purpose of today’s trip was to meet a load of ( mostly) strangers to ride 50 year old shopping bikes through a bit of London. Odd or what?

Left home at 6:45 riding the Dawes Kingpin to Didcot Station along the old railway line Sustrans route. Weather was grotty when I left , not raining but windy and drizzling, it was one hell of a tailwind, got to the station in record time for a shopping bike.

The ticket I booked didn’t work, had to buy another and get a refund going on the booked one.

Train was on time but I went to the wrong ending the platform and had to run down to get on the correct carriage.

When I got to Paddington, I had to cycle through Hyde Park, last time I did that on a Kingpin was 1971! It’s changed a bit.

Through Wellington Arch, past Buck House, Birdcage Walk, over Westminster bridge then mostly followed the convoluted route that google was telling me to go. Got to the meeting place to early, so had breakfast and tea.

Eventually folks started to turn up on Kingpins, Bromptons and a couple Moultons but no Raleigh Twentys.

We eventually set off, about 15 of us I think, over Tower Bridge, along Eastcheap, Cannon Street heading west along The Embankment on to Horse Guards, St James Park, Green Park and Hyde Park, Kensington.Stopped for a bit of lunch and started heading south by which time it had started to rain, so I bailed heading back Paddington station where I hoped to get an early train back, except the feckers cancelled it and had to wait over an hour for the next one!

Anyway it was nice ride while it was dry, met some delightfully eccentric people who wanted ride small wheel shopping bikes around London.

hmmm, don’t like that much.

Garmin have updated their app. I really feckin’ hate the new map.

24.7 damp miles.

Also, fifty year old brakes are completely rubbish on fifty year old chrome wheels.

And I nearly got doored today, how I missed it I don’t know.

Last edited:

Mrs M

Guru
The purpose of today’s trip was to meet a load of ( mostly) strangers to ride 50 year old shopping bikes through a bit of London. Odd or what?

Left home at 6:45 riding the Dawes Kingpin to Didcot Station along the old railway line Sustrans route. Weather was grotty when I left , not raining but windy and drizzling, it was one hell of a tailwind, got to the station in record time for a shopping bike.

The ticket I booked didn’t work, had to but another and get a refund going on the booked one.

Train was on time but I went to the wrong ending the platform and had to run down to get on the correct carriage.

When I got to Paddington, I had to cycle through Hyde Park, last time I did that on a Kingpin was 1971! It’s changed a bit.

Through Wellington Arch, past Buck House, Birdcage Walk, over Westminster bridge then mostly followed the convoluted route that google was telling me to go. Got to the meeting place to early, so had breakfast and tea.

Eventually folks started to turn up on Kingpins, Bromptons and a couple Moultons but no Raleigh Twentys.

We eventually set off, about 15 of us I think, over Tower Bridge, along Eastcheap, Cannon Street heading west along The Embankment on to Horse Guards, St James Park, Green Park and Hyde Park, Kensington.Stopped for a bit of lunch and started heading south by which time it had started to rain, so I bailed heading back Paddington station where I hoped to get an early train back, except the feckers cancelled it and had to wait over an hour for the next one!

Anyway it was nice ride while it was dry, met some delightfully eccentric people who wanted ride small wheel shopping bikes around London.

View attachment 490648

View attachment 490649

View attachment 490650

View attachment 490651

View attachment 490652

hmmm, don’t like that much.

View attachment 490653

View attachment 490654

View attachment 490655

View attachment 490656

Garmin have updated their app. I really feckin’ hate the new map.

24.7 damp miles.

Also, fifty year old brakes are completely rubbish on fifty year old chrome wheels.

And I nearly got doored today, how I missed it I don’t know.
Fab post and pics :okay:

gavgav

Guru
After 80 minutes of watching sleep inducing Rugby, I got out into the beautiful cloudless sunny weather for a short ride. Things didn’t go quite to plan though, as I wheeled the bike out of the shed, to find a flat front tyre :angry:.I straight away could see the issue, with the head of a thorn sticking out of the top of the tyre.

So, removed the wheel and proceeded to change the inner tube, checking the inside of the tyre and actually finding 2 thorns in it! Was a bit of a job trying to change the tyre, with a finger that is still gaining strength from a fracture.

Half an hour later than planned, I eventually set out through the local estate and on a route around Shrewsbury, that I knew would need some detours to avoid the River Severn, which has burst its banks. That was better than trying local lanes, of which many are impassable due to floods.

I’d only been going for about 2 minutes, when an idiot overtook me, whilst I was passing a parked car, into the path of a car coming from the opposite direction. Deserved gesticulations were quite evident from that driver!

I followed cycle paths up to Heathgates, where I headed down through Castlefields. I was hoping I could get along the side of the river, to the weir, but no chance, as the road was closed off at the top end. So, I headed through New Park and past the old prison, then heading through the Town Centre, which I haven’t done for a while. It was very busy, with lots of slow traffic and so I was glad to head round through Swan Hill and down into The Quarry.

The River is indeed high and out of its banks, but I could still get along the main path, past the circus which is in town. The Quarry was heaving with people and dogs, who were making the most of being able to get out of the house for the first time in a couple of days, due to the incessant rain of the last 48 hours.

I crossed Porthill Bridge and then headed to Shelton, Copthorne, Radbrook, before taking Mousecroft Lane. I encountered 2 floods along there, not too deep thankfully, before I finished the ride via Meole Brace, where the underpass was about chest deep in water!! Suffice to say I didn’t use it and crossed using the road.

12.97 miles

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Mission accomplished. For a while now, I've been homing in on a long term objective, and I finally passed the finishing line today. Just completed my first lap of the planet. To be specific, the length of the equator, 24,901 miles (None of those namby-pamby lightweight "official" round the world measurements). It has taken a good few years, with my last five years averaging 3,000 miles per year, but nice to get it done at last .... even though Strava thinks I have never even ridden a bike! Today's club ride was an unusually long one of over 53 miles due to the need to detour Stroud because of the Stroud Half Marathon that was taking place today. We headed down South Glos way to the Tortworth Farm Shop Café for my second time this week, before returning via the lovely lanes to the South of Berkeley.

I only needed another 40 miles to complete my virtual circumnavigation of the planet, so I'm now 13 miles into my lap of honour. What an absolutely cracking day for it. Quite a few big puddles around from yesterday's biblical downpours, but a mild, sunny, almost cloudless day. Result! The only thing now is that, with having probably had my last shot at riding in the Alps and having circled the globe (distance wise), I now have to think up some new and interesting challenges to keep my cycling mojo going into 2020.
Cheers, Donger.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Just three available today after yesterday's deluge. Steve E, Rob A and me. The cafe at Great Witley closes for the season soon so last chance this year today. We headed for Knightwick and on dropping down the hill we were confronted by a flood with a stranded car in the middle. We opted to ride through anyway. Up to our hubs it was so wet feet as well. The floods from the Teme lay all about and the well loved Talbot pub had gone under. They are used to that there though. They'll be open as soon as the water goes down. We headed to higher ground to do some little hills with speedy riders coming past. Must have been an event on I think. The track to the cafe was OK despite all the rain and the coffee and cake hit the spot.
Our run back went by Ockeridge and on for Moseley. Around by Wichenford Steve needed to head for Worcester and as we stopped to say our byes Graham N turned up so it was good to have a brief catch up. Rob and I headed for the bridge at Bransford but we could see that flooding would be impossible to get through. So we had to divert onto the horrid bypass and the dangerous Powick roundabout. Solid traffic meant speeds were zero so it was in fact quite safe. The opposite carriageway was flooded too causing more chaos for traffic. We headed for Jennet Tree Lane and some respite from cars but even that haven was busier than usual. Pleased to get back after all those adventures. 46 smiles

Mike_P

Guru
Slightly problematic 23.54 miles on the Defy this afternoon. It's new chain presumably is a touch long as it is kept on jumping on the smallest cog, albeit not coming off so tried to avoid using it but still managed a few PRs, all wind assisted it has to be said. Ripley busy as usual on a sunny Sunday and people making the most of it for the first time since mid September. Nidd was slightly aquatic, took the Paralympic route through Scotton to avoid the worse bits of road. Around the Farnham-Arkendale-Staveley loop, leaving the latter was also somewhat aquatic. Then down Farnhams back passage which really was a dark hole, completely blinded by the sun, the same also happened briefly descending down the A59 to the river in Knaresborough. Up Beryl Burton was less than spectacular due to a couple of foot pedal interface issues and then it was a case of battling headwinds watching the avg mph fall to 12.9mph. 1237ft climbed.

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
some new and interesting challenges to keep my cycling mojo going into 2020
Well done on the circumnavigation:thumbsup::thumbsup:. Plenty of things to aim at. Eddington Number, lap 2, lap of another (bigger?) planet, set an annual target higher than before, ride to the moon .............. One thing a pal has done - 1 million feet of climbing in a year (he's done it twice now). Well OK then - just do 100,000.........:becool: You Audax so an RRTY or some of the Audax goals are there (you gets a medal from those). Main thing is - keep pedalling and having fun :okay:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Well done on the circumnavigation:thumbsup::thumbsup:. Plenty of things to aim at. Eddington Number, lap 2, lap of another (bigger?) planet, set an annual target higher than before, ride to the moon .............. One thing a pal has done - 1 million feet of climbing in a year (he's done it twice now). Well OK then - just do 100,000.........:becool: You Audax so an RRTY or some of the Audax goals are there (you gets a medal from those). Main thing is - keep pedalling and having fun :okay:
Thanks, though I'm not quite in your league! I'm definitely going to keep the Metric Century-a-Month Challenge going, because that's the one that drives all the others and keeps my fitness up. Other than that I'm thinking of switching from distance targets to concentrating on quality rides and getting round the country a bit more. I love not knowing what is around the next corner, and am keen to go exploring. Might throw in a couple of Channel-hopping trips in 2020 too.

Blues skies again but at the expense of lower temperature, to be honest far more enjoyable than doom and gloom and rain. I thought I`d head out to Brettenham for a change, once out of Stowmarket it was pretty quiet on the roads and they were pretty dry too. I saw one buzzard and a jay and that was about it nature wise. I did get one motorist who shouted something to me as I pulled out at a junction and then had to stop in the middle of the road as the car suddenly loomed around the bend. It was one of those situations where you stop, I had stopped, look right, look left look right again, clear. That was when I started to procede and then there was the car from the left. Perhaps he was going too fast, I don`t know but it did`nt really warrant being shouted at. I apologised as if it was my fault, perhaps it was. Anyway, lesson learnt and I will have to reconsider the direction on that route so to avoid the junction in future. If the truth is known I would have said that he was in a hurry and just perhaps he did`nt like cyclists, a lot don`t.
Other than that brief encounter it was a nice ride, enough layers on in the 7degrees with an 11mph westerly and 22.9 miles in total. So now just 30 miles short of 3000 miles for the year. I`d better set a target now for the end of the year, say 3400 miles just in case we really get some bad weather. Happy days.

footloose crow

Über Member
27 October

Madame Crow has agreed to come with me for a bike ride on the condition it was 2/3 of the distance of the last time we went out and only half the height gain. I manage to plan for the reduced distance but have to deceive her about the height gain. Cornwall is quite hilly.

The weather is good today after two days of rain and gales. A fine, clear sky, palest blue with some residual warmth in it. The 15% gradient immediately outside our house was anticipated and we both walked up it. On and down through Truro, weaving through the half term traffic. The Newham cycle path avoids a steep hill and busy roads but its muddy and our bikes slide and wobble in the deeper patches.

Once off the cycle path, I warn Madame that there is some uphill to come. Much later she joins me at the top. I can see from her expression that I am in trouble. She asks through gritted teeth if there is much more of 'this uphill'. I assure her that it is all downhill from here, but of course it is not and another steep grind follows under old oaks, the lane snaking skywards.

From the top we can see across the Bissoe valley and on to the moors towards Redruth. In the distance is St Agnes Beacon and the (invisible to us) Atlantic. There is no wind today and the north coast swells will be rolling in clean, green and cold.

The sun is still warm up here though and now there is some downhill, a fast twisting lane washed clean by all yesterday's rain. We join the Bissoe cycle trail by the cafe and begin the long, gentle uphill to Scorrier. There are families out on bikes, the children riding through the flooded path as fast as they can, long splashes of mud up their backs. For a while we follow two runners; I am impatient to pass but Madame is in front of me and determined to take her time. I know I must keep quiet. I feel the Strava clock ticking away, my time today dropping in to the lowest bar. I have to remember that it is a joy to be with Madame, that it is a nice day, that the scenery in this old mining valley now being reclaimed naturally by straggly trees and gorse is worth seeing. And all of those things are true. I relax and enjoy the pace, the crunch of gravel, the tyres bouncing off small rocks, standing on the pedals for short, sharp ascents and then splashing through streams and long puddles.

At Scorrier I sense Madame has had enough and we turn right, along the fast main road to Chacewater and through up the other side on the hill I had forgotten about. Madame is happier now, she is getting her wind again and begins to push the pace. We have more and more traffic with us as we approach Truro from the north, most passing us politely, a good distance away. We dodge the A390 by turning off through Threemilestone and then down the cycle path past the hospital until we can see the signed route that takes us through a housing estate and descend a fast cycle track into the town centre.

One final hill before home: it feels easier than usual and my breath is more controlled. The sky is clouding now and the warmth of the day, meagre though it was, has slunk away. The bikes are filthy and I have a job to do there before they get put away, but first some tea and cake!

A good ride - not long but plenty of variety. 21 miles, 1700 feet of uphill. 8.2 mph average speed.

Old jon

Guru
Two rides this time. An easily discouraged rider last Thursday managed ten miles on the fixed in ‘orrible wet weather. But I did ride some roads that I have not been on in a long while and found some changes. There is always a plus.
Today, however, the desire to ride was in full working order. Keen I was, so out with the geared bike and pedal away into a bit of a shower. Blue sky was visible, and the barometer was rising. These things always encourage me, encourage could be spelt f o o l rather often of course. Still, find my way onto Water Lane which points nicely towards Great Wilson Street and the left turn to cross the River Aire on Crown Point Bridge. Before ten on a Sunday this is quiet, and so is the ride up to the Oakwood Clock. Down the dip past the spare gates that Roundhay keeps there and then the threequarter mile of hard pedalling up Wellington Hill. Just after the crest, turn left to Shadwell and then left again to Slaid Hill. Turn right at the lights there and ten miles ticks up.

A good road, this one. Up, down and sideways and a fair surface. Maybe not quite long enough, East Keswick is reached soon and shortly after that the right turn onto the A659 to head towards Collingham. Take the left for Linton, across the Wharfe, which then stays on your right hand side all the way into Wetherby. A bit of a munch break here, just next to the town hall where some event or other seemed to be happening. Maybe the lack of bikes locked outside put me off looking closer, there are usually half a dozen or so there. Ride on, back across the river and turn right at the big roundabout on the outskirts.
This is the A58, which goes back home. But I had thought to ride up Jewitt Lane, just because it is there really. Reaching Collingham, just past Wattle Syke and the front tyre went flat. A little further along is the ex pub, now restaurant at the bottom of Jewitt Lane, so I pulled into the car park to fix things. The tyre has done just shy of four thousand miles and the contact surface resembles a sieve with a few larger holes here and there. A big piece of glass had cut through to the inner tube, easily found and removed so twenty minutes after stopping I was ready to go on. Behind a group of riders from I think the Valley Striders club. A couple of tops had the logo on. Reached the top, in front of some and behind the others and continued towards Thorner after saying ‘Hi’ or ‘Goodbye’, as you do.
Down Milner Lane, and then up into Thorner. Out of the village on Sandhills and happy to see the start of Skeltons Lane. Take the lane to cross Coal Road and on to the A58 again, completing what I suppose is called a geographical circle. The route does not resemble a real one. Downhill most of the way now, back across the Aire on the same bridge as earlier and up the road to home. My very much better half was just walking towards the front door as I rode up the street. So I rang my bell. Which made her think she had dropped her keys, and start searching the path for where they had landed. While they were still in her hand. Ah well, thirty three miles and just over two thousand feet of up, with a laugh at the end. Good going.

Non circular linearities. Or summat like that.

27102019.jpg

johnnyb47

Guru
After the last couple of days of appalling wet weather i decided a nice ride was in order today, being the sun was out in all glory.
Just a few days back i bought a Garmin 820 and thought I'd put the sat nav through its paces and see how it performed.
I typed in a 40 mile loop ride and within a minute the garmin came up with three random choices. I took the middle choice and set off from Oswestry over to the Wrexham area following the directions. It did a really good job on keeping me on the straight and narrow and auto corrected me quickly when i took the wrong way. I set it to keep me off busy main roads but away from non paved routes too. It did this just fine and soon found myself riding along places I've never seen before.
I saw few strange things on the way. The most memorable was riding past a dairy farm near Overton. The best way to describe it was, where the cows where waiting to go into the milking parlour. There was what looked like a rotating automatic miniature car wash brush spinning around, with the cows happily pushing there heads up against it enjoying a good scratch. It was quite comical to watch. The other strange sight i saw was a passing motorcyclist in Penley. He was on a largish bike and had two Crutches strapped to his back. Somewhat intrigued i caught him up at a junction and was amazed to see he only had one leg!!! How on earth he could ride like that is beyond me. Never mind getting on or off the dam thing.
Further on i hit some nasty floods down the lanes. One was that deep i endes up getting off the bike and walked across the raised embankment with the bike draped over my shoulder in true Cycle cross style. Around 30 miles in the puncture fairy paid me a visit so it was a quick tube swap and was then back on my way again. At the end of the ride i was absolutely plastered in mud but had a big grin on my face. It has to be one of best rides I've had in a long time. 45 miles of mud, floods and unusual sights 👍

Really, a test ride for the slightly revised Scott, but ended up a reasonable (for me) distance.
17.43 miles, 9.5mph avg, 1306ft of upness.
Route was usual 270/27 toward Plymouth, turnaround at the car park above Clearbrook.
Lovely and sunny, but cold. Longs and layers, all good, but should have used full finger gloves.
Shoulder seems to be coping.
Need 104 miles to exceed 2018, and will be pleased if I do, considering all the enforced time off the bike.
Will now look to change the Scott to 3x9 and keep riding it!

Top Bottom