Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Yesterday's ride started from Allenbanks where we had been for a walk along to Staward Pele to enjoy the autumn colours in the Allen gorge. Mrs. jg drove home while I rode up the Allen valley towards the Clattering Causeway. I'd never been this way before (which was one of the reasons for the ride). I'd also not bothered to look at the map when I created the route on Ridewithgps. If I had I would maybe have noticed that the road crosses all the tributaries draining into the Allen. I took this picture when I'd got all the climbing out of the way.

20191021_124050[1].jpg

Above the Allen looking towards Hadrian's Wall

Except it wasn't the end of the climbing. It wasn't even the beginning of the end. Around the next bend the road became a 7ft wide, fenceless ribbon of gravel, mud and cow muck that could be seen vaulting ridges all the way to the horizon. It was right hard work. One of those roads where you can't take advantage of gravity going downhill because you don't know what surprise is around the next bend (cattle grid with several loose bars, bull standing in middle of road. DHS delivery driver staring at his phone).

Really pleased then to get up onto the Clattering Causeway with it's top of the world feel and lack of livestock or traffic. Up there you can see all the way to Criffel in Dumries and Galloway - must be 60 miles away.

There's still plenty of climbing to do heading west as the South Tyne has to be crossed at Lambley before the Northumberland/Cumbria border at Midgeholme. The A689 around here must be one of the quietest A roads in the country and I saw little traffic to my rest stop at Hallbankgate community cafe. Coffee and a vegan flapjack (think sweepings from a budgie's cage) had me refreshed enough to descend to Brampton where I once again began climbing, this time towards Talkin Tarn, then taking deserted lanes to Warwick Bridge. There I had to join the very busy A69 to cross the river Eden.

If you're ever in the vicinity try not to mix up Cumwitton with Cumwhinton. There were several signposts to the former in Warwick Bridge and I almost fell for it. If I had I would have found myself on the wrong side of the river Eden with a huge detour to the next river crossing. As it was I stayed on the correct route and once across the river went to Cumwhinton and the back way into Carlisle, my destination for the day having covered 36 miles with 2,700ft of climbing.

1571768122314.png

Yesterday's ride started from Allenbanks where we had been for a walk along to Staward Pele to enjoy the autumn colours in the Allen gorge. Mrs. jg drove home while I rode up the Allen valley towards the Clattering Causeway. I'd never been this way before (which was one of the reasons for the ride). I'd also not bothered to look at the map when I created the route on Ridewithgps. If I had I would maybe have noticed that the road crosses all the tributaries draining into the Allen. I took this picture when I'd got all the climbing out of the way.

View attachment 490137
Above the Allen looking towards Hadrian's Wall

Except it wasn't the end of the climbing. It wasn't even the beginning of the end. Around the next bend the road became a 7ft wide, fenceless ribbon of gravel, mud and cow muck that could be seen vaulting ridges all the way to the horizon. It was right hard work. One of those roads where you can't take advantage of gravity going downhill because you don't know what surprise is around the next bend (cattle grid with several loose bars, bull standing in middle of road. DHS delivery driver staring at his phone).

Really pleased then to get up onto the Clattering Causeway with it's top of the world feel and lack of livestock or traffic. Up there you can see all the way to Criffel in Dumries and Galloway - must be 60 miles away.

There's still plenty of climbing to do heading west as the South Tyne has to be crossed at Lambley before the Northumberland/Cumbria border at Midgeholme. The A689 around here must be one of the quietest A roads in the country and I saw little traffic to my rest stop at Hallbankgate community cafe. Coffee and a vegan flapjack (think sweepings from a budgie's cage) had me refreshed enough to descend to Brampton where I once again began climbing, this time towards Talkin Tarn, then taking deserted lanes to Warwick Bridge. There I had to join the very busy A69 to cross the river Eden.

If you're ever in the vicinity try not to mix up Cumwitton with Cumwhinton. There were several signposts to the former in Warwick Bridge and I almost fell for it. If I had I would have found myself on the wrong side of the river Eden with a huge detour to the next river crossing. As it was I stayed on the correct route and once across the river went to Cumwhinton and the back way into Carlisle, my destination for the day having covered 36 miles with 2,700ft of climbing.

View attachment 490141
Lovely part of the world!

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Those of you who read about this ride won't be surprised to hear that my next ride started in Carlisle on the next morning which dawned grey and cold.

I retraced my tracks from the previous day along London Road to Cumwhinton where I turned right onto Petergate heading for Armathwaite. Once that right turn was taken I was back on traffic free lanes. The first little climb at Cotehill warned me of what was to come - I was immediately clicking down through the gears until I couldn't click any more. Oh dear, to be grovelling in my lowest gear so early in the ride was a little troubling as there was a long way to go with lots of climbing.

The lanes along the Eden Valley through Armathwaite, Staffield and Kirkoswald were lovely but lumpy and they were just the warm up for the climb of Hartside Pass.

20191022_101624[1].jpg

Almost onto the Harside Pass road

I was actually happy to get onto the main road for the climb up the pass. It's long but very well engineered so the gradient is never that steep. The surface is good and the road keeps climbing - no ups and downs like the lanes in the Eden Valley, so it was easy to settle into a slow, steady rythm and bimble up to the top. I was now only 23 miles into the ride, having done 3,000ft of climbing and it had taken me 2½ hours. At this rate it would dark before I got home.

20191022_110557[1].jpg

Hartside Pass

The descent to Alston is an absolute blast on a very good road with clear sightlines allowing you to stay off the brakes and let gravity take over. Brilliant.

Had a huge lunch at Blueberrys tearoom in Alston (soup, roll, burger & chips) then set myself towards Nenthead and Killhope. The wind was now rising and thankfully it was mostly helpful as I climbed away from the Nent at Hagg Bank. Didn't pause in Nenthead but went straight into the three steps up to Killhope Cross. The first ramp is the longest and is a bit of a sickener. As the summit is crested the second step is revealed. Luckily there's a flatter bit allowing a short recovery before tackling the second step. Again, it is a false summit but from the top of this step the top of the hill can be seen up yet another steep ramp. Once this is crested it's downhill all the way past Killhope lead mine and into the Wear Valley.

I was feathering the back brake lightly on the descent as I could see lots of loose chippings and water on the road, especially on the bends so wanted to keep control of my speed. At 35mph I felt the beginnings of a speed wobble so had to let the brake go and ride my luck. Straight away the speed wobble vanished and I plunged into the valley with the desperate hope that the road surface wasn't as bad as it looked.

It wasn't and streaking past the mine at 45mph had me grinning like the Joker. Woohoo!

Weardale is almost home territory so I knew to take the right turn in Daddry Shield signposted 'toilets 100yds' to bring me onto the quiet road on the south side of the river. Didn't see another vehicle for the next seven miles when I reached Stanhope.

20191022_130203[1].jpg

Weardale Langrick Sheep

These sheep were bred by the early settlers in Weardale to have long legs so that they could outrun the wolves which were common in the valley back then. Of course, for a sheep have long legs it needs a long neck otherwise its head wouldn't reach the grass and it would starve hence the name 'Langrick'

At Stanhope I decided to get the rest of the climbing out of the way in one go so turned left at the Grey Bull for Crawleyside Bank. The steepest bit is at the bottom and I'd worked out that once I was clear of the village the wind would blow me to the top. That worked out nicely and at Parkhead I got onto the C2C path to turn east for the long downhill run to home. Amazing to think that at 11.30 I was looking at finishing in the dark and yet here I was approaching home over Waldridge Fell just four hours later. Put it down to the tailwind from the top of Hartside Pass.

A cracking ride. 75 miles with 5,700ft of climbing.

1571847063919.png

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Had to miss my audax on Sunday as my wife was not well, so thought I might have blown my run of 57 consecutive months in the Metric Century-a-Month Challenge. Had a lucky second opportunity this morning, and I wasn't going to miss out. So set off in the fog at 08:45 with no particular plan other than to just ride 100km. Got a few funny looks from drivers and pedestrians as I rode past in shorts and short-sleeved jersey, but I was warm enough despite the fog. I did have to keep wiping the dew off my arms, legs and moustache, though! Made my one and only café stop at the Tortworth farm Shop Café at the 20 mile mark, after my first proper hill of the day on the road from Damery. Nice to sit and study the map as I downed a coffee and a cake. Got a few more funny looks from the other customers, most of whom looked to be dressed for Winter. Quickly set off for the village of Wickwar, from where I headed out on NCN410 across Hawkesbury Common:
266 Hawkesbury Common.JPG

The sun came out as I arrived at the common, though you can see the last of the fog still lingering on the Cotswold edge in a mean looking fog bank:
267.JPG

Then I hit the Hawkesbury rush hour, and had to turn tail when faced by a large herd of nervous looking cows taking up the whole width of the road heading my way:
268 Rush Hour at Hawkesbury.JPG

I was in new territory for me, so was happy to follow the map and see what turned up next when I took a different road. Wouldn't you know it, there was an immediate nasty swine of a hill that I only just managed to climb without walking. Back into the fog, too. The road came out at this mahoosive monument, which had me momentarily stumped, as it wasn't shown on the OS map (Perhaps @Arjimlad might know what it is, as this is his patch, I believe?):
269 Hawkesbury Upton.JPG

Followed the map, and it turned out (as I thought) to be near Hawkesbury Upton. Followed a bit more of NCN410 as far as Engine Common, before judging I could turn for home via Tytherington and the A38. A nice mix of woods, commons and quiet lanes today, though interspersed with a couple of busy stretches near quarries that were full of big trucks and an A38 that seemed to be full of agricultural traffic that didn't leave much passing room. Showered me in wood chippings too. (Could have been worse. Nastier stuff than that sometimes flies off the back of farm trailers). Made it back home 6 hours and 2 minutes after setting off with my computers registering 103.9km and 64.6 miles. Job done. That's 58 consecutive months of the challenge now, and still going.
DSCF0655.JPG

Turned out great, and glad to have got out for a century ride after all.
Cheers, Donger.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Had to miss my audax on Sunday as my wife was not well, so thought I might have blown my run of 57 consecutive months in the Metric Century-a-Month Challenge. Had a lucky second opportunity this morning, and I wasn't going to miss out. So set off in the fog at 08:45 with no particular plan other than to just ride 100km. Got a few funny looks from drivers and pedestrians as I rode past in shorts and short-sleeved jersey, but I was warm enough despite the fog. I did have to keep wiping the dew off my arms, legs and moustache, though! Made my one and only café stop at the Tortworth farm Shop Café at the 20 mile mark, after my first proper hill of the day on the road from Damery. Nice to sit and study the map as I downed a coffee and a cake. Got a few more funny looks from the other customers, most of whom looked to be dressed for Winter. Quickly set off for the village of Wickwar, from where I headed out on NCN410 across Hawkesbury Common:
View attachment 490225
The sun came out as I arrived at the common, though you can see the last of the fog still lingering on the Cotswold edge in a mean looking fog bank:
View attachment 490227
Then I hit the Hawkesbury rush hour, and had to turn tail when faced by a large herd of nervous looking cows taking up the whole width of the road heading my way:
View attachment 490228
I was in new territory for me, so was happy to follow the map and see what turned up next when I took a different road. Wouldn't you know it, there was an immediate nasty swine of a hill that I only just managed to climb without walking. Back into the fog, too. The road came out at this mahoosive monument, which had me momentarily stumped, as it wasn't shown on the OS map (Perhaps @Arjimlad might know what it is, as this is his patch, I believe?):
View attachment 490229
Followed the map, and it turned out (as I thought) to be near Hawkesbury Upton. Followed a bit more of NCN410 as far as Engine Common, before judging I could turn for home via Tytherington and the A38. A nice mix of woods, commons and quiet lanes today, though interspersed with a couple of busy stretches near quarries that were full of big trucks and an A38 that seemed to be full of agricultural traffic that didn't leave much passing room. Showered me in wood chippings too. (Could have been worse. Nastier stuff than that sometimes flies off the back of farm trailers). Made it back home 6 hours and 2 minutes after setting off with my computers registering 103.9km and 64.6 miles. Job done. That's 58 consecutive months of the challenge now, and still going.
View attachment 490230
Turned out great, and glad to have got out for a century ride after all.
Cheers, Donger.
Nice work ! I twas rather foggy this morning

That is the Somerset monument at Hawkesbury https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somerset_Monument,_Hawkesbury

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Mrs 26 and I rode over in the mist to meet Pete M in Upton. We took to the Castlemorton lanes but had to squeeze through some road works. The workers let us through. Our route was a standard one to Much Marcle where Mrs 26 peeled off for Trumpet. Pete and I climbed through the clouds onto the Marcle Ridge. As we dropped off the mists seemed to thin and we even had some sunshine. I showed Pete the thatched church at Brockhampton before we swung south on a lane new to Pete and long neglected by me. Pete recognised the run along the Wye - one of his favourite lanes. Hundreds of geese were in the fields at Hole in the Wall and the Wye was flowing deep and strong. Just that steep climb was left before our lunch in Ross. The ladies in the cafe are wonderful with cheery chat and superb refreshments.
With the mists gone our return route was the traditional one by Kempley and Dymock. We've taken to leaving Ross by going via Brampton Abbots now as the alternative busy roundabouts and fast dual carriageway feels unsafe. It's always more pleasant in the lanes anyway. Soon we were back in the Castlemorton lanes with the roadworks complete too. Pete headed into Upton while I scooted round my usual lanesy ride home.
Lovely autumn day out. 72 smiles

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Has the cafe reopened?

Not even close to opening. Not sure if anyone has even taken it on yet. Seem to remember reading that it was going to be a posh nosh type place with a bunkhouse mebbe. Can't find the link now.

Anyway, it's still a burnt out shell. :sad:

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
Day off? Sureee...! 2x15 and 1x20 tempo intervals

After that coffee with one of the guys and then MATE with my wife at home.

Coffee pic with Paco. (the owner of the bar is also a cyclist)

gLAC5Wi-CtSPlG7GNRwx_r5O3N_p3gy68hGdqb44-2048x1152.jpg

And at home the beauty of South Spain and having a terrace, just stay away from the wind, is chilly!!

QHUzYihH8UGYAsae_vorwgH1ZuTU8WICKOtqr3nw-2048x1531.jpg

The Strava ride link if you look at the laps you can see where the intervals were done.

This is the training to improve on 45 minutes climbs.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Not even close to opening. Not sure if anyone has even taken it on yet. Seem to remember reading that it was going to be a posh nosh type place with a bunkhouse mebbe. Can't find the link now.

Anyway, it's still a burnt out shell. :sad:
Aw shoot. It's what gets you to the top from the west - the promise of tea and beans on toast. Posh nosh :stop:

After yesterdays appalling rain I managed to get out this morning before the rain set in again. Usual Cotton route, I thought that I was sailing but then I did have a 9mph tail wind. Roads were not too bad, mostly dry but a bit muddy in places. I noticed a nice shiny roadsign warning of mud on the road, perhaps some one had a word with the farmer as it certainly was`nt there Wednesday and it looked new. Sugarbeet season is certainly in full swing. I stopped at Cotton for a few minutes to say hello to George, the bike man. He just loves being out in his garage tinkering with bikes or anything mechanical, think Wesley from Last of the Summer Wine but without the greasy overalls and without the bangs and smoke ! Seriously, George is a lovely chap and really enjoys getting bikes cleaned etc to sell on for a few pounds.
The ride was pretty un-eventfal excepting on the way back I was hit on the side of my nose quite hard. What the feck was that I said ? I turned and looked over my shoulder to see a pigeon regaining his flight. This cycling malarky does get dangerous, what with wasp stings and now a pigeon trying to take me out. So that is why we wear helmets and glasses !
The ride was 22.7 miles at 17.4 mph average of what is a fairly flat route excepting one climb just before the Nutshells tea room at Stowupland.
At least I found out the source of an annoying rattle that I have had for some time but never able to replicate in the garage. The culprit being the lower part of the front mudguard where it must knock the side of the fork. I feel a bit of fettling coming on. Now lets wait for more rain, shall we ?

Last edited:

galaxy

Veteran
Those of you who read about this ride won't be surprised to hear that my next ride started in Carlisle on the next morning which dawned grey and cold.

I retraced my tracks from the previous day along London Road to Cumwhinton where I turned right onto Petergate heading for Armathwaite. Once that right turn was taken I was back on traffic free lanes. The first little climb at Cotehill warned me of what was to come - I was immediately clicking down through the gears until I couldn't click any more. Oh dear, to be grovelling in my lowest gear so early in the ride was a little troubling as there was a long way to go with lots of climbing.

The lanes along the Eden Valley through Armathwaite, Staffield and Kirkoswald were lovely but lumpy and they were just the warm up for the climb of Hartside Pass.

View attachment 490223
Almost onto the Harside Pass road

I was actually happy to get onto the main road for the climb up the pass. It's long but very well engineered so the gradient is never that steep. The surface is good and the road keeps climbing - no ups and downs like the lanes in the Eden Valley, so it was easy to settle into a slow, steady rythm and bimble up to the top. I was now only 23 miles into the ride, having done 3,000ft of climbing and it had taken me 2½ hours. At this rate it would dark before I got home.

View attachment 490224
Hartside Pass

The descent to Alston is an absolute blast on a very good road with clear sightlines allowing you to stay off the brakes and let gravity take over. Brilliant.

Had a huge lunch at Blueberrys tearoom in Alston (soup, roll, burger & chips) then set myself towards Nenthead and Killhope. The wind was now rising and thankfully it was mostly helpful as I climbed away from the Nent at Hagg Bank. Didn't pause in Nenthead but went straight into the three steps up to Killhope Cross. The first ramp is the longest and is a bit of a sickener. As the summit is crested the second step is revealed. Luckily there's a flatter bit allowing a short recovery before tackling the second step. Again, it is a false summit but from the top of this step the top of the hill can be seen up yet another steep ramp. Once this is crested it's downhill all the way past Killhope lead mine and into the Wear Valley.

I was feathering the back brake lightly on the descent as I could see lots of loose chippings and water on the road, especially on the bends so wanted to keep control of my speed. At 35mph I felt the beginnings of a speed wobble so had to let the brake go and ride my luck. Straight away the speed wobble vanished and I plunged into the valley with the desperate hope that the road surface wasn't as bad as it looked.

It wasn't and streaking past the mine at 45mph had me grinning like the Joker. Woohoo!

Weardale is almost home territory so I knew to take the right turn in Daddry Shield signposted 'toilets 100yds' to bring me onto the quiet road on the south side of the river. Didn't see another vehicle for the next seven miles when I reached Stanhope.

View attachment 490231
Weardale Langrick Sheep

These sheep were bred by the early settlers in Weardale to have long legs so that they could outrun the wolves which were common in the valley back then. Of course, for a sheep have long legs it needs a long neck otherwise its head wouldn't reach the grass and it would starve hence the name 'Langrick'

At Stanhope I decided to get the rest of the climbing out of the way in one go so turned left at the Grey Bull for Crawleyside Bank. The steepest bit is at the bottom and I'd worked out that once I was clear of the village the wind would blow me to the top. That worked out nicely and at Parkhead I got onto the C2C path to turn east for the long downhill run to home. Amazing to think that at 11.30 I was looking at finishing in the dark and yet here I was approaching home over Waldridge Fell just four hours later. Put it down to the tailwind from the top of Hartside Pass.

A cracking ride. 75 miles with 5,700ft of climbing.

View attachment 490232
I grew up near Chester Le Street, parents had a Caravan beetween Wolsingham and Frasterley. Know those roads so well, pity it was all 30 years ago.

Top Bottom