Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
First time out on my bike for almost a month. So it was a steady flat-ish wander going nowhere in particular. As is often the case the ride seemed to sort itself out with little input from me.
I am off to a family 'do' shortly so just the bare bones.

Out to Walshford via East Keswick, and Wetherby and back by the most obvious route along the A58. Not much happened.

Just under 30 miles and 1350ft of upness. Geared bike.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/41638395

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
A slow 200 yesterday (Mark's Crych Cymraeg) with a friend who is not fast. She was very pleased to get round within the time limit.
Despite the description it was not a flat ride, the back road from Abergavenny to Monmouth being particularly lumpy.
The weather was slightly kinder than forecast, but not benign enough for photos. The Peregrine Path along the Wye was really eerie in the dark.
My first ride on fixed-wheel since breaking my ankle.

Pretty much the same route to Shotwick i did on the road bike early summer, this time with Fondo minor....

Ah the joy of old fashioned brakes! What a contrast to earlier ride, a bone dry track turned into virtually impassable bog, fields either side were lakes.

Lovely day though and most of route very rideable.

Nice to see a lot of cyclists out as well, really busy on the Greenway.
So here we go into the winter months, but if it stays anything like today i will be out every weekend (here's hoping!). Cracking, if a bit gnarley ride, 14 miles.

:okay:

13 rider

Guru
Yesterday's ride ,me and @Supersuperleeds try and do our imperial ton for the challenge on the first Saturday of the month which was the plan for yesterday despite the forecast :rain:. Secretly I think both of us were waiting for the other to bail . But we're both as mad as one another :crazy:. So out the door a 6.00 into dry conditions . To Market Bosworth to meet @Supersuperleeds who was waiting for me so off we go . Through some quiet lanes out to Nuneaton then headed out to Coleshill the rain finally arrived at 0830 not too bad to start with but we knew its in for the day . It now became a head down no chatting ride as we looped around Lichfield the rain worsened and the amount of standing water was amazing as we splashed are way through . As we reached the cafe Mabel's at Curborough hall 61 miles in it was rainy heavy . As the cafe wasn't busy we bagged the seats by the log burner and soon cycle clothes were draped over chairs drying out . As the rain continued it became a 2 coffee stop :cuppa:. It soon became time to leave on with damp clothing and new dry glooves :smile: .Onto familiar roads heading homeward the rain begins to ease .A few flooded lanes but they were passable . Back to Market Bosworth and retraced my route home . Parted company with @Supersuperleeds in Kirby Muxloe . Then headed home as the sun came out . Home with just enough distance of 100.13 miles in the bag ,101.5 for @Supersuperleeds. So glad to have the ride in the bag . Definitely a wet ride but not as bad as it was forecast to be

C R

Guru
It is Sunday, so it is ride day. The weather was a bit meh, yesterday, with a lot of rain at times, but the forecast was somewhat promising, grey first thing in the morning, with a small chance of rain before eight, but improving later. I took my chances with the rain and didn't take my rain jacket, as it wasn't very cold.

Out just after half past six, into the grey light that precedes the sunrise. Plan was to go round Bredon hill if Eckington bridge was open, so headed for the A38 towards Kempsey. One of the advantages of being out so early on a Sunday is that there's not a lot of traffic, so can take advantage of the A road without having to worry too much about it. After Kempsey I take the left for Kinnersley, going past Kerswell Green and High Green at a reasonable pace, until I reach the short slog up Madge hill. Like with most hills, there's a reward for getting to the top, in this case a longish downhill pretty much all the way to Earls Croome.

After Earls Croome is a left to go through Baughton and over the M5 towards Defford, now with pretty much full daylight, but still rather grey, though the rain hasn't materialised so far. Past Defford comes the turn for Eckington, and there were no signs of the bridge being closed, so I carried on with my planned route. Approaching the bridge it looks like it might have flooded some time during the week. I stopped for a bit of a breather at the picnic area. The river is quite swollen still, and moving quite fast.

IMG_20191103_073530481_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191103_073555090.jpg

I really like this place but I was cooling down too quickly, so on the move again, heading for Bredon through Eckington, and then a left to follow the hill up to Conderton. This isn't a particularly challenging climb, quite a gradual ascent up to Conderton, and then a fast descent on to Beckford, which saw me nearly hitting 30mph. I stopped on the turn for Ashton under Hill, for a drink and a nut bar, but again was cooling down too quickly, so back to pedalling to produce some heat.

Next destination was Ashton, which has a bit of a ramp going through the village, and then another short climb to Kersoe, which is the highest point in this route. Despite the overall greyness of the day, there were still some nice views, with the autumnal colours giving some contrast.
IMG_20191103_083322260_HDR.jpg

From Kersoe it is almost all the way downhill to Pershore, going through Elmley Castle and Little Comberton.

My feet now were complaining about the temperature, but my hands kept nice and warm thanks to the silk glove liners I bought last week, I need something similar for my feet.

Pershore came quick, and then the slog up Holloway, followed by a swift descent down Rebecca Rd. I was now suddenly feeling my legs quite heavy, but with just about five miles left I pressed on. Not sure it was a good idea, and probably should have taken a bit of a rest. I finally made it home, strangely feeling more tired after 37.7 miles than I did last week after 50. Lovely ride to start the month in any case.

The map
IMG_20191103_163240.jpg

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
First outdoor ride in a number of months on a day where my general anxiety over cycling alone didn't feel as bad... Until a chap confronted me in the coffee shop and I thought he was going to "start"

He didn't, he wanted to ask had I heard anything about a fellow cyclist who was hit yesterday..:shy:

footloose crow

Über Member
Just a short ride this afternoon after a heavy shower. As I wasn’t going far I made it hilly. Bridgend, Darkie and Puslinch hills.
The roads were very messy after yesterday’s storm, plenty of water and branches about

https://www.strava.com/activities/2838343465

View attachment 491665

View attachment 491666

View attachment 491667

View attachment 491668

View attachment 491669

View attachment 491670

View attachment 491671

View attachment 491672

View attachment 491673

View attachment 491674
The roads by you look just like the ones near me today. I didn't go out.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
The weather forecast wasn't much cop but tomorrow's is worse and I haven't been out for a while so sacked off the housework and went for a ride.

Dropped down past the county cricket ground and climbed up to Lumley on good legs. Force of habit saw me on the Leamside TT course but three miles in it started to rain. Had that 'shall I, shan't I' prevarication about waterproofs but a sudden intesity to the rain made me decide to put them on.

Detoured off the TT course to take the climb to West Rainton in an effort to regain some warmth then dropped back down to the Three Horshoes. Came across the first of six (count 'em) temporary traffic lights I was to encounter on this ride on Black Boy Lane before turning into Fencehouses (or Fencehoozes if you're a local). The rain stayed with me through Burnmoor and Shiney Row (Shiney Rah) where I safely negotiated The Big Scary Roundabout to take the road for Cox Green.

Took it easy on the skoggy road down to the bridge, crossed the Wear and headed upstream on the C2C through James Steel Park. It had stopped raining by now and there was a bit of climbing to do so I took off my waterproofs and started enjoying the autumn colours in the tunnel of trees on this part of the path.

20191104_121149[1].jpg

Notice of closure on the C2C

The bridge in the picture carries the A1M over the track. They have been working on it for a while and I guess it needs fettling properly hence the closure. It certainly looks well used. I got through without any problems today but it looks like it could be closed very quickly at any time.

A few minutes after I took this picture, when I got to North Lodge, it started raining again so I decided I'd had enough and took the shortest route home.

All the stop/start with the roadworks and waterproof faffs made this a frustrating ride of 22 miles. Still better than not getting out though.:okay:

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Yesterday's ride a rather damp 107Km - Blaby - Wigston - Newton Harcourt - Great Glen - Houghton on the Hill - Ingarsby - Keyham -Beeby -Hungarton -Lowesby -Marefield - Loddington - Alexton -Stockerston - Eyebrook Reservoir - Great Easton -Drayton - Nevill Holt - Medbourne - Slawston - Welham - Great Bowden = Gumley - Laughton - Mowsley = Saddington - Arnesby - Countesthorpe - Blaby

Quite a few hills, and qute a few new fords have cropped up...fortunately not so deep that I didn't drown. Bike needed a good clean though!

photo - medbourne....

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
It is Sunday, so it is ride day. The weather was a bit meh, yesterday, with a lot of rain at times, but the forecast was somewhat promising, grey first thing in the morning, with a small chance of rain before eight, but improving later. I took my chances with the rain and didn't take my rain jacket, as it wasn't very cold.

Out just after half past six, into the grey light that precedes the sunrise. Plan was to go round Bredon hill if Eckington bridge was open, so headed for the A38 towards Kempsey. One of the advantages of being out so early on a Sunday is that there's not a lot of traffic, so can take advantage of the A road without having to worry too much about it. After Kempsey I take the left for Kinnersley, going past Kerswell Green and High Green at a reasonable pace, until I reach the short slog up Madge hill. Like with most hills, there's a reward for getting to the top, in this case a longish downhill pretty much all the way to Earls Croome.

After Earls Croome is a left to go through Baughton and over the M5 towards Defford, now with pretty much full daylight, but still rather grey, though the rain hasn't materialised so far. Past Defford comes the turn for Eckington, and there were no signs of the bridge being closed, so I carried on with my planned route. Approaching the bridge it looks like it might have flooded some time during the week. I stopped for a bit of a breather at the picnic area. The river is quite swollen still, and moving quite fast.

View attachment 491632
View attachment 491633
I really like this place but I was cooling down too quickly, so on the move again, heading for Bredon through Eckington, and then a left to follow the hill up to Conderton. This isn't a particularly challenging climb, quite a gradual ascent up to Conderton, and then a fast descent on to Beckford, which saw me nearly hitting 30mph. I stopped on the turn for Ashton under Hill, for a drink and a nut bar, but again was cooling down too quickly, so back to pedalling to produce some heat.

Next destination was Ashton, which has a bit of a ramp going through the village, and then another short climb to Kersoe, which is the highest point in this route. Despite the overall greyness of the day, there were still some nice views, with the autumnal colours giving some contrast.
View attachment 491647
From Kersoe it is almost all the way downhill to Pershore, going through Elmley Castle and Little Comberton.

My feet now were complaining about the temperature, but my hands kept nice and warm thanks to the silk glove liners I bought last week, I need something similar for my feet.

Pershore came quick, and then the slog up Holloway, followed by a swift descent down Rebecca Rd. I was now suddenly feeling my legs quite heavy, but with just about five miles left I pressed on. Not sure it was a good idea, and probably should have taken a bit of a rest. I finally made it home, strangely feeling more tired after 37.7 miles than I did last week after 50. Lovely ride to start the month in any case.

The map
View attachment 491650
Around Bredon Hill was a staple for me for many a year. I've done it so often I try to stay a bit clear of it now as I tend to go to sleep if you know what I mean. It is, however, a lovely ride round at any time of year. Shame about the new houses opposite the school at Ashton tho'. But that's going on everywhere sadly.

footloose crow

Über Member
Monday 4 November

November is the time when the old year begins to die but before the New Year takes over, which is why maybe Hallow'een happens now as the lost souls escape into the world whilst we are distracted. It is a melancholy month. The fields around here are dead and lifeless, beaten down by five days of rain and the trees have carefully laid their leaves on the road where traffic has crushed them into a fine tilth. On the news this morning it was said that Voyager 2 has left our solar system and is now transmitting from interstellar space. I imagine it is cold out there and lonely. It is quite cold in Truro too today with thick grey clouds boiling up over the hills and regular needle-sharp showers, but today I won't be lonely.

I didn't mean to go cycling today. I have learnt not to buy things on eBay after drinking a few glasses of wine and the same rule must now be applied to texting 'Yes' when someone I once knew from work has found me on Strava and suggests a ride. Madame Crow has her 'told you so' expression as she leaves for the gym, coat over her head and running to the car as rain sweeps in. She hopes I have a good time and swings the car out and disappears. I push my bike up the hill until I can pedal and then descend into Truro, blinded by spray and too afraid of the traffic to mix it on the roundabouts.

Stephen is the same age as me and also a retired headteacher but he has a full set of lungs and a fine record of Audax rides. He tells me as we meet by Iceland in Truro that he sometimes catches the train to London and cycles back to Cornwall overnight, watching the sun rise over Stonehenge. When I told Madame Crow that story she looked at me and said 'Why?'. Iceland is a an appropriate place to meet as we both shiver in a cold, searching wind and that leads me to musing over Voyager 2. We set off up the steep hill out of town and I am soon wheezing. Stephen looks concerned and asks if I am OK, at least I think he does but with his helmet and dark glasses and the sound of my breath I am not sure. I assure him it is always like this. He tells me this is nothing compared to Voyager 2 and I puzzle this as I try to follow his bike through the mini roundabouts, rain and heavy traffic at the edge of town. All I can see is a winking red light and spray from his wheels.

Another hill. We pass the isolated primary school at Kea and discuss the headteacher there whom we both knew who has recently married someone possibly called Chunky who may be a fisherman. I am trying to listen but finding it hard to keep up, just occasionally nodding to show I am following the thread, but I am not. She may not even be married. I hope there is not a quiz at the end of the day. Stephen expounds on his theory that rides are better in company as you can talk but I need to breathe. I am catching one word in three but don't want to say anything. I don't have enough breath.

Down again, back to sea level at Feock. The Fal estuary spreads across to the left; today the tide is in and the wind is stirring the sea into skeins of spume and aerated water. I start to tell Stephen how I nearly rammed a Porsche here last week but he has shot ahead and again all I see is a winking red light pulling further away.

On through Devoran, the creek to our left still. Boats are pulled out for the winter, a forest of masts and banging rigging. Stephen for the first time slows down as we hit the Bissoe Trail. He doesn't like the grit and mud and stones. He tells me I have a gravel bike and he doesn't but they both look the same to me. I am able to regain my breath now as Stephen gingerly pilots his ridiculously narrow tyres around the puddles and mud and for the first time I get ahead. As soon as possible we are back on the road, Stephen showing his approval by upping the pace.

Up and through the Bissoe Valley, me following the winking red light, no eyes today for the scenery just pushing on, on, on. Stephen is talking to me, yelling words over his shoulder. I don't really know what he is saying and add a "yes" or "umm" whenever he stops. He beckons me to ride level with him but I am not comfortable there as cars pass in a welter of spray and bad temper.

We arrive in Chacewater. Stephen looks at me and asks where next. I don't know. I thought he knew where we are going but apparently he thought the same of me. We both have degrees in geography but the road network of mid Cornwall was not on the syllabus, or maybe I was away that day. It's cold being indecisive. We choose left and soon I am wheezing up a hill, eyes locked to Stephen's rear light, not wanting to see how long the uphill goes on for. The day is still grey, clouds tearing across and this old mining area is a wilderness of moors, stunted trees and patches of bare ground where even after a hundred years, nothing will grow. There is so much arsenic in the ground in this valley as a by-product of mining that the owners of the scattered whitewashed cottages and converted mine houses cannot grow vegetables in their garden unless they use a raised bed and fresh soil.

By alchemy and luck and the sight of St Agnes Beacon, a sky tearing lump of ground that dominates this part of the north coast we find our way to the fashionable St Agnes village. It is North Coast trendy: wood burning stoves, organic food shops and lots of builders vans as houses are turned into facsimiles of the more expensive ones in Rock and Polzeath up the coast.

Stephen says he knows a cafe here and it turns out he does. It has a wood burning stove and cake, which I accept without asking if it's organic. At this point I am so hungry, I don't mind either way. I watch the rain running down the window. My leg warmers have fallen down revealing a couple of inches of pale, goose bumped flesh. I sense Stephen disapproves.

Standing outside the cafe and shivering we both recognise that we don't know where to go next. Two other cyclists leave and start to walk their bike up the hill. I point out it's a one way street and go the other way, a steep downhill that does nothing to warm me. At the bottom of the village, the sign for Truro points back up the one way system to the top of the hill we have just descended. It does at least warm us both. We overtake the two cyclists outside the village.

For the next hour we choose roads that appear go south every time we meet a junction, going up, down, up, down through tree shaded lanes thick with mud, Stephens red light winking at me as I wheeze uphill, then brake nervously downhill whilst he keeps up a running commentary on a wide range of matters, tossing words over his shoulder. The lanes always start off going south but then with Celtic cunning twist west or east or even north again. I wonder if we will ever finish this ride. Finally, at the interestingly named hamlet of Zelah, I see some blue NCN signs, I love the friendly NCN signs and for the first time since leaving St Agnes, I think I know where I am.

I assure Stephen it is all downhill now to Truro but it is not and around the bend the road heaves upwards and into the gloom of a disappearing day. Stephen crashes into bottom gear and tells me ' this is going to be a bad one' and so it is. Winking red light, breathe, wheeze, wobbling the bike from side to side, stand up, sit down, pulling zips down to get cooler. It ends as all bad things do except Brexit and the way to Truro is now (mostly) down hill.These are not downhills that encourage exhilarating speed, risk taking and leaning through the bends though. It is difficult to discern they are roads at all as five days of rain and gales have left them looking like a field track. We haven't seen any traffic for a while but you would need a 4 x 4 today.

At St Allen, Stephen heads off to the east. He has already cycled to Truro from Mevagissey, 18 hilly miles, to join me and now needs to find his way home. He texts me later to say he got lost and it rained heavily. I apologise for my poor directions but he is sanguine; "I wasn't cold or hungry so it was OK". He has done nearly 70 miles today. He says he likes cycling with me because I am a good listener and I seem to know some excellent back roads where he has never been before. Sometimes it's best to just accept a compliment.

I am home before it's dark and switch off my own winking red light. The shower is working today and Madame has made flap jacks. I ask if they are organic but she ignores me. Strava says it is thirty five miles and over 3000 feet of uphill today and Stephen is right, the company made it easier.

Top Bottom