Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Grey, gloomy and bitterly cold here in Shropshire today but I felt the need to get out and rack up some miles so did one of my regular shortish routes: Into Shrewsbury and through the Quarry, Uffington, Upton Magna, Atcham, Cross Houses, Condover and back via Lyth Hill.

There are a few sets of roadworks locally at the moment so I was passing long queues of traffic early on in the ride. The Quarry looks quite wintery now with the leaves mostly gone from the trees on Victoria Avenue. The flood gates are still closed by Greyfriars Bridge even though the river level has dropped, so i detoured past the Abbey and into Castlefields to rejoin the route at Sydney Avenue.

The canal path is quite muddy but the lanes after Uffington have dried out a lot so there was no risk of getting my feet dunked this time. The road to Cross Houses is closed after Cronkhill due to more roadworks but I was able to walk the bike past so enjoyed not being bothered by traffic on the short but sharp climb there.

The wind direction would have helped me along if I'd taken the short route after Condover but I wasn't sure how busy the A49 would be at this time of day (not long after the schools kick out) so took the hillier way over Lyth Hill where I splashed my way through the only small flood on the route.

21.57 miles at 12.3 mph average.

A wintery looking Victoria Avenue.

Looking across to the old brewery.

Upton Magna

Also at Upton Magna, the the rethatching I mentioned a few rides ago is complete on this side of the cottage.

Grey, gloomy, a stiff breeze and absolutely arctic here today. But, as cycling into town on market day is quicker and less faff than taking the car, I kitted up like the michelin woman, stuck the panniers on Wiggy #2, the Chartres, and off I went.

The usual route was taken via Downham Common, California and Orwell Pit, then over the A10 and up the hill to St Mary's Street and down towards the market. Man, that was hard work into a stiff and icy headwind - to the point I found myself on the 22t granny ring at times...

Locked up my bike next to a Bakfiets. That was quite amusing, as evidently Bakfietsen are quite the rarity in Ely, and there was a small crowd gathered round to look at it. :laugh:

Did the market and various other shops, then tootled off to Tesco via Fore Hill and Broad Street for a few extra gubbins. Got lucky with cheese, milk and breakfast cereal on sticker. Result.

So a reverse of my route on the return leg, looking forward to a nice ride back with a helping tailwind for my loaded bike. But no. That bloomin wind had switched round, so ended up huffing and puffing like an overstressed tea urn on the way home...

No numpties either blocking the cycle lane or queueing right next to the kerb today, but I did have a couple of close passes - one berk in a white van and a large trailer whizzed past only a foot away from my right elbow. :angry:

Eleven hard and very cold miles. Still haven't quite thawed out... :cold:

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
After the events of Monday’s ride, I wanted to get out again and erase the memory of it, so nipped out after work, for a very short evening ride.

With the river being back in its banks, I’d hoped the Towpath would now be back open.....

Usual route to Heathgates, through Castlefields and got to Sydney Avenue, to find the road still closed with cones and a flood sign! I knew there was absolutely no chance the River was still on the road and so carried on through, and it was absolutely fine. Got to the Weir and the gates to the Towpath were still padlocked shut! Goodness knows why, as the river was well back inside its banks. The Council clearly can’t be bothered to open things up again.

So it was through Belvidere, London Rd, Sutton Farm and back home with only 9.8 miles on the clock, but at least I was dry this time!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I took the chance to get out early for a quick ride while the weather is dry. I couldn't be out too long as I needed to be back to do things so it was familiar roads: Condover, Pitchford, Acton Burnell, Cound Moor, Harnage, Cound, Berrington and back via Weeping Cross and Meole Brace.

Given the time of the morning most of the people out on the roads were in a bit of a rush but it didn't cause too much bother really. I encountered a couple running towards me in Condover, when I moved over to give space they moved that way and back again when I moved back. Shall we dance?:laugh:

Condover to Acton Burnell was uneventful but as I turned left to go past Concord College a Transit coming in the other direction also swung into that road without indicating and I wasn't sure if he was going to just drive into me.:dry: He did give me room as it happened but I was unimpressed at the manouvre. He stayed on the wrong side of the road afterwards and had to swerve suddenly back onto the correct side when a car came the other way.:rolleyes:

After Cound I took the direct way to Berrington (reasoning that the undulating way through Eaton Mascott would probably be very muddy), which meant braving the A458 but it was surprisingly quiet which suited me fine. Getting to Weeping Cross I needed to use that road again for a short stretch and this time there was a stream of traffic that I had to wait ages for.

The wind direction helped me home for the last three miles or so, which is a rare thing going this way.

20.3 miles at 13 mph average. I didn't stop for photos this time.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
So last Sunday I replaced my trusty old Dawes Galaxy with a proper gravel/all road/go anywhere bike, a 2016 Kona Sutra LTD. It's a bit of a modern departure for me, with SRAM hydraulic brakes and 1x11 drivetrain. However, due to work and family life it's been sat in my cellar all week waiting for it's first proper ride. With Fridays being my day off and the sun shining it was time to fit a cheeky first ride in this morning. I just had time for a 24km loop through the local forests and down to the hydro electric plant, before crossing the river and returning back through the forest on the opposite side. A ride I've done many times in the last year, but a good work out for me and a great first ride on the new bike.

Old jon

Guru
This morning was different. Warm and dry under a cloudless sky. And back in Brazil. And no bother about choosing which bike, I only have one here. It would be quite a leap to ride fixed in Florianopolis, though there are numbers of single speed bikes about. Mostly the Yellow bikes, a bit similar to the hire (?) bikes in London. The apartment is at the top of a hill, and the ride starts just there.

Did I say it was warm? Twenty six degrees warm and warming up as the day passes. So a ride to sort of acclimatise to things here, though riding seemed easy enough. Soon twigged that there was a tailwind helping me along, the trees and flags were leaning away from it. Definitely a day for easy, so head for the bike path which wanders along just inland from the beach. Beira Mar, the road is called, I suppose it is the beach side of town centre. The bike track has proper kerbs, unlike the road which has chasms at the edge, sometimes covered with steel screens.

This is an island, moored to the mainland with two bridges. One in constant use, four or more lanes each way and the other, older version which has recently had a lot of work done on it. I have been told it will reopen for pedestrian and cycle traffic. When?? Yes. The bike path passes both bridges and ends. Onto the road and carry on towards Jose Mendes and Costeira Pirajubae. Sort of the way to the old airport. The new airport is quite a bit further on.

Far enough for today though. Stop to eat a bit, and drink then turn around. This road is quiet, the big road runs parallel for a while then rises to go through two tunnels under a hill. The road I am using goes around that same hill, which is when this morning’s tailwind asks for the bill to be paid. All of a sudden, lower gears are needed. And more effort also. Back on the bike track, ride along beside the beach again and a little further to the bottom of the hill I live at the top of. Nope, I did not ride very far up, and it is way too steep for a restart. But after walking to the top I was smiling, the ride had been good. Oh aye, twenty one miles and a gallon of sweat.

There and back again, credit to JRRT

22112019.jpg

My ride yesterday met my expectations with the weather feeling a tad milder not quite the arctic feel of earlier in the week. As I`d been out on the Rattlesden route earlier in the week it was my Cotton route again. This time via Old Newton which means there is quite a climb there (for Suffolk anyway) but strangely enough it did`nt seem too bad perhaps because the drive train is running smoother now. I had nice tail wind up to Bacton and Cotton, roads damp but not too bad. This was all about to change as after I passed Cotton church I encountered the first lot of mud from where I think some building work is going on. Then is was OK again and I thought goody ! That did`nt last long either as now there was the second lot where more sugar beet had been lifted and then further down the road was the third lot and a warning sign " WARNING, MUD ON ROAD", no kidding Sherlock ! This was a sea of mud and felt the rear tyre slide a couple of times. I saw a car coming around a bend too hard and I did wave my arm to tell her to slow down which she did as I looked over my shoulder. People still want to drive as if the roads are dry and don`t take into consideration the road conditions, well in my opinion anyway.
I added a bit more to the route just by doing a right turn near Gipping on an out and back for a mile. All in all the ride was 23.2 miles with an average of 17.5mph, 852 feet of climbing, who said Suffolk was flat ? The downside of the ride was the muddy bike and my leggings. The water bottle was filthy, this may have been from spray from a sugar beet lorry. I tend to think that I only take water with me for ballast these dayGood ride that took me over 3200 miles so far this year.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A poorly timed ride in a heavy shower!
The cows are in prison now...

Attachments

• A623270A-01E1-414E-AA99-98CDC943A156.jpeg
    A623270A-01E1-414E-AA99-98CDC943A156.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 3
  • D0A05312-357E-4D56-9355-DEF29FCBA296.jpeg
    D0A05312-357E-4D56-9355-DEF29FCBA296.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 75B920F7-6407-45DE-8865-CABD7CB7C24E.jpeg
    75B920F7-6407-45DE-8865-CABD7CB7C24E.jpeg
    252.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 32CDE598-F4BD-4321-B72A-B64BBFC852A1.jpeg
    32CDE598-F4BD-4321-B72A-B64BBFC852A1.jpeg
    220.9 KB · Views: 3

footloose crow

Über Member
23 November. Back lanes on a damp Saturday afternoon

Yesterday evening I read about WAWA - the Wild Atlantic Way Audax - that is longer than the London-Edinburgh-London and follows the wave bashed, wind lashed west coast of Ireland for over 2000km. The descriptions written by riders are of a hallucinogenic journey, a ride of exhaustion and tears, broken bikes and broken bodies. Last night I dreamt I was cycling along the Atlantic coast, the bike rolled effortlessly as I pedalled on with determination. This morning I am exhausted by my dream, my legs hurt and the rain on the windows convinces me not to even try to go out.

But now it's 2pm. Watery sunlight, blue in the sky. Pirate FM is full of warnings about flooded lanes. Go or stay. I haven't been out for two weeks. Go or stay.....best not to think too much, just pull on some gear and get the bike out. Madame Crow asks where am I going, glancing up from her work, hunched over her laptop. I don't know. Overshoes on. Lights on, flashing a message to drivers - please don't run me down.

It is slushy on the lane from home. Mud from the fields has washed onto the road and stuck there between the deep brown puddles. Better in Truro though and downhill too until the NCN route past Idless Woods, deep in the gloom of overhanging oaks, a sunken lane, a sinking spirit as the road rears up. My breathing is desperate, lungs scraping at the air, searching for oxygen. I want to stop and rest but won't, stubborn, chest heaving, eyes on the road and not searching for the horizon line at the top of the hill. More back lanes, sinking down into the mud, small streams rolling down hill with me.

The St Freda climb, 8% average, is almost too much. I am wobbling, conscious of the traffic behind, throat raw, nose streaming. Then a fast down hill and into Zelah. Only I didn't mean to go to Zelah. I have missed the turn again. But I know there is a way out of Zelah across a short section of field that connects to a back lane and the road I meant to be on. I cycle along but I cannot remember the gateway I am looking for. I am on the A30 now. Not somewhere I want to be, too busy, too dangerous, my little blinking red light will not make these lorries slow down.

Up the hill and back the way I came until I see the lane I missed. It's uphill. How did I ever think I might do an Audax one day? Ten miles down and I am counting the hills left between me and home. On, on, spinning the pedals, past the mossed, green stained church at St Allen, isolated on a road to nowhere, empty. Once this area must have been full of people but today I can only hear the distant crackle of gunfire as hunters slaughter pheasants.

Reaching the open plateau above Trispen, the sun is out between fast retreating clouds, sending long shadows across the fields. I can see the St Austell 'Alps' way to the east, the china clay stained hills resemble snow, now glowing pink as the setting sun lights them up. My spirits are rising, the hills have eased.

From here it is mainly downhill to Tresillian and then the only flat road of the afternoon as I race the traffic through the village, the gathering gloom chasing me from behind. One final hill, not fast but not slow and home along the flooded lanes.

Not yet ready for an Audax but it is good to be on the bike again. A hot shower revives. Madame has made flapjacks. I wonder if the spring will let me go further.....I can dream.

Image-1.jpg

AndreaJ

Veteran
Normal weather resumes in Shropshire and it’s raining again although warmer than it has been. I was quite late going out today and it was starting to get dark although it hasn’t really been very light all day, so just a quick ride around Whixall. Set off into the gloom to Northwood and into Whixall and straight through to Alkington where I turn left back over the canal and back towards Whixall on a lane parallel to the one I had just left, over the canal again to the crossroads to cross the first lane to Hollinswood, passing a couple of walkers for the second time. Kept on that lane to LowerHouses then Coton, Abbeygreen, Waterloo, Edsaston, Ryebank, Creamore, Horton then back home by which time it was dark. All the puddles and floods which had gone earlier in the week are making a comeback although not too bad yet. 16.8 miles in the dark and rain @14.8mph, was actually more enjoyable than it sounds.No other cyclists though.

footloose crow

Über Member
Lovely write up again @footloose crow ,lots of holiday memory's St Allen is on a regular route . The A30 is a scary place . I had to cross that early one morning on a staggered crossroads took about 5 mins for a gap in the traffic I dared risk they don't hang about
Thank you 13 rider. I am still quite new to cycling and traffic makes me nervous - not helped by Road.cc's "near Miss videos'.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The Fragrant MrsP wanted to go for a quick bike ride this morning, I wasn’t going to bother ‘cos the roads are bit damp, but I M’d TFU’d got in the gear and went.
A 13.36 mile loop into the ugly Great Western Park estate, stopped at Costa for coffee and a bacon bap, ( which I paid for using my new watch of omena, ) then into Didcot and around the villages to home.
Although it was damp out it’s very mild this morning, I enjoyed the ride.

Top Bottom