Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Out this morning for the first ride in a week. A loop out to Longnor and Acton Burnell then around the lanes to Harnage and Cound before heading back through Acton Burnell to Pitchford and Condover.

The weather was cool but dry with a bit of a breeze that I hoped would be helping me home later. I headed over Lyth Hill to start with and was pleased to find that someone has finally done something about the drainage at the top so I didn't need to wade through a flood after yesterday's rain.:okay: It's 18 months late but appreciated anyway.

Once onto the lanes they were muddy with the odd water splash to deal with. The headwind didn't seem to bother me much this time but was nice when I turned after Longnor so it was helping a bit. After Acton Burnell the dip where I got wet feet a few weeks ago was full of water again. It didn't look too bad, but that's exactly what I thought last time so I decided to head round to Cound Moor via Acton Pigott instead. There was a horse and rider on the approach to Harnage who kindly paused for me to pass on the narrow lane, then with a following wind down the hill to Cound I almost achieved my ambition of entering the speed limit at 30 mph.:laugh:

For a change I decided to climb back up the long drag to Acton Pigott (I only go this way occasionally as it's quite slow going). Today the climb didn't seem too bad and having got over the crest I was feeling good about things and enjoying the descent back into Acton Burnell when my rear battery light fell off and went clattering down the road.:dry: My home-made bracket has suffered metal fatigue and snapped in half. Fortunately the light has survived with just a few more scuffs for the collection.

From here I could see that there was rain rolling in from the west so pressed on to Pitchford, Cantlop, Condover and the short way home along the main road. The rain just started to fall as I was putting the bike away.

25.8 miles this trip at 13 mph average.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Lots of faffing this morning made for a late start to today's ride. I was even later once I'd cleaned and oiled my chain which was filthy and stiff from yesterday's clarty ride.

By the time I'd dropped down the orbital road in a cold blustery wind I could see the western sky was a dark, inky blue with a threat of rain. Sure enough as I started the climb to Pelton Fell down it came. At least the climb into a headwind was keeping me warm as I strived to keep up a decent pace.

At Hett Hills though I was stopped by temporary road works and soon got very cold. I couldn't even sneak past as something called a Ditch Witch was blocking the path. I'd hoped that once I'd got through the climb up Bluehouse Bank would warm me up but I was ready to throw in the towel on Wagtail Lane and head for home.

Just as I crested the brow near Wagtail Farm a pale and watery sun began to show and by the time I'd got to the turn the sky was clear. Decision time: should I stay or should I go? Persuaded myself to drop down Peth Bank and on reaching Lanchester I was committed to doing the route I'd planned.

The climb up Bargate Bank to Hamsteels is cruel. It starts fairly gently but then there is a hidden dip to cross the River Browney. On the other side the road heads skyward, crossing the contour lines at right angles, probably at the bidding of a Roman road engineer as Lanchester (as you may have guessed from it's name) was a Roman settlement. When the road does bend it gets even steeper and at the next bend steeper yet, but nothing lasts forever and whenHamsteels Lane is reached the climb relents.

I was cooking by now so glad to cool down on the descent past Hamsteels Hall to the cross roads of the Langley Park road. I could have just turned left there for a gentle drop into the valley but the line on the Garmin insisted I go straight across onto the wall that is Esh Bank. Flipping heck, it's steep but thankfully not too long and the views from the top are well worth the effort.

IMG_0149[1].JPG

Looking across the Browney valley from Esh

My route from here took me down into Langley Park (childhood home of Sir Bobby Robson) then up the climb through Witton Gilbert, Sacriston and Edmondsley. A right turn there put me onto the drop over Waldridge Fell and home.

22 miles and 2,100ft of ascent made for quite a lumpy ride. I'm so glad I didn't chuck it at Wagtail Lane.

1576079834235.png

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Just Margaret PR and me today. Off round the north of the hills to crest at Acton Green. Then along the valley for Burley Gate. As we approached the cafe a shower began. It passed as we refreshed ourselves. We had already crossed the line of the Gloucester Hereford canal. Margaret was intrigued so I pointed out some more remains on the run back. We chose to take the climb over the Wyche today. The clarity of the air meant we could see for miles from the top. Nice ride out today. 50 smiles

After a lovely sunny morning I thought that I was on a dead cert for a sunny ride. I did`nt get out until 1.00 and five minutes later an almighty cloud came over, typical ! I may have faired better by going on my Cotton route but needed a change. So I headed off on my 24 mile Rattlesden, Felsham, Gedding and Drinkstone route. It was pretty quiet once away from Stowmarket and Combs Ford. However by the time I got to Gedding Hall the sun reappeared, I guess a certain Mr Wyman switched it on for me ! Conditions were not bad, a bit slippery in the shadows but I had eased off to be certain. At least I got some photos today and with sunshine. I had replaced my chain yesterday and had half a dozen slips on the middle sprocket, will it wear in I ask ? It was a nice ride, passed 3 other solo riders enjoying the day too. 24.2 mile covered at 16.8 average and now only 80 mile short of 3500 for the year. Happy days.

Incidentally, both the mills are undergoing restoration which I think will take several years. These mills complete with sails were one of the last things my grandfather saw, the day before he passed away in 1969. It will be nice seeing them back to their former glory.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Gawd! It’s wet and cold today. The Fragrant MrsP is trying a gym a couple of miles up the road, so she cycled up there for her induction.
I thought it might be a good idea to meet her afterwards so I messaged her to meet for breakfast, I took the hybrid, it’s got mudguards, rode up The Lynchway which is a hard pack stony muddy track to the garden centre in Chilton, just over a couple of miles, got soaked, there was a bitter wind and the track was filthy.
After breakfast of bacon sandwich and a lovely hot coffee we rode back along the main road, the rain had stopped but there was a lot of standing water so got even more wet with spray from cars and lorries.

just about 5 miles this morning, and quite frankly it was e-feckin-nuff. Still every little helps I have a mileage goal to reach before the end of December.

(Reading this through I realise that it’s quite a dull report and should be in the Mundane News thread)
Here’s a map.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I’m surprised to see no reports from anyone else since yesterday, I expect folks had other things on their mind, and the weather was foul.

Nicer today though, sunny and bright with a cold breeze. I took the hybrid it again for a quick trip into town for some shopping just a smidge over 6 miles not done in my car.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Another morning faffing (blocked drains this time xx() meant another late start. Cool, blustery conditions today but looked like it would stay dry.

In the spirit of trying to mix things up a bit I've been looking for roads I've never ridden or reversing the direction of my frequently used routes. Today's ride incorporated both of these ideas and started with the climb over Waldridge Fell to Edmondsley crossroads. Uphill and straight into the teeth of that lively westerly wind made for a challenging start to the ride but once over the crossroads there's some respite on the descent to Holmside. Just got my breath back in time to climb past Peartree cottages and take the left fork to continue climbing to Burnhope. There were a couple of good creature features along here with fieldfares stripping haws and a slack handful of Bullfinches bobbing about in the bare hedges.

Easier riding now, along to Maiden Law and a steep, skittery descent at Hanging Stone. Left at the bottom onto some little used lanes brought me to the A691 which was, as usual, very busy. The short stretch into Lanchester is downhill and with the wind now behind me I was soon turning off into the village.

From Lanchester I went up Cadger Bank, straight into the wind again to the Roman fort of Longovicium. Again, it's another climb that leads to easier terrain where I could quickly recover and it's followed by a straight, steep drop down Holehouse Lane to cross the river Browney. The climb out of the valley is relatively benign too and with a following wind I was beginning to think that this cycling malarkey is a doddle. That is until I reached the top 500m where the hill reared up on me and I was having trouble keeping the front wheel on the ground.

Left at the top for an exhilarating, wind assisted bowl along the top of the world with crystal clear views of Penshaw Monument in the distance. I was soon in Quebec and decided to stop at the tearoom which is in the former Hamsteels Inn.

20191213_134318[1].jpg

No caption required

Mrs. jg is going to love it. Lots of gold on the tea service, doilies, cakes under huge glass cloches and lots of crafty type things (AKA dust collectors) to buy. I'm more of a pint mug of tea and plastic tablecloth type.

It's not too far home from here but I wanted to vary my route from the one I took on Wednesday so I took the gentle drop into Langley Park followed by the climb of Charlaw Fell but before reaching the top I dropped into the old pit yard at Sacriston. From there it's an easy climb to Edmondsley crossroads and then the descent across Waldridge Fell.

1576256351128.png

27 miles with 2,000ft of climbing.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Not another bloody puncture! I had one of them eleven years ago, so a bit peeved to pick up another one today. Nipped out with an old mate for a pub ride today, starting at Bredon and calling in to a pub in Elmley Castle for a good old chin wag. Got half way back to Bredon when the front wheel suddenly went floppy. No pop, no gradual deflation, just suddenly pan flat. No sign of any damage. Thankfully this is an extremely rare occurrence for me, but I didn't fancy prising off a Marathon Plus tyre as it was getting dark, and Simon's front light was dying. We did a quick bike switch, and I sprinted the last five miles back to the car on Simon's bike and then drove back to get him and pick up my own bike.
I'd only got a few yards down the road when it became clear that Simon's saddle height was radically different from my own. Picture a huge tall guy trying to sprint down a main road on a clown's bike and the image won't be far wrong. Gave my thighs a good work-out, that did. Oh, well. Decent pub run, some nice Worcestershire scenery around Bredon Hill, and closing in on my year's target. 20.5 miles today .... on two bikes.

Cheers, Donger

13 rider

Guru
Today's target was a metric century to complete that challenge and complete the triple triple, 3 years of completing the 50km,100km and imperial century challenge with separate rides and no cross listing of rides . Had arrange to meet @Supersuperleeds at 1000 for a cafe ride . Out the door at 0800 for some early miles . Headed to the hills ,Pollybotts ,Whitcroft lane and Oaks in Charnwood hills all dispatched into Shepshed turn onto Charley road and straight into a headwind:banghead:. Slow progress for a few miles into Cropston and I realise I'm running late so cut short the route to make the meeting arrived with 5 minutes to spare and @Supersuperleeds was waiting so off you go took the same route as the other month Barrow,Hoton ,Wymeswold and on to nice Pie which was busy because 🎅 Santa was there:hyper: . Couldn't sit on his knee as children kept getting in the way :laugh: . While waiting for food the usual beans on toast :mrpig: I worked out I should just about have enough miles to head straight home . Back onto the bike for a tough headwind section we shared the work making it bearable . Down Berrycott lane into Seagrave ,Sileby ,Cossington in Rothley @Supersuperleeds turned left for home I went straight on . Just before home I was checking the Gps for the milage and I managed to press stop at 61.7 miles :banghead:.Restarted the Gps rode past home for half a mile before heading home for a total of 63 miles and job done :rolleyes:.Todays ride was slightly spoiled by far to many close passes and must get in front drivers it was like all the idiots were out together

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Rich B, Steve E and me today. We headed for the Hams but the River is high again. Water was well up but the school dodge was still fine. At Chaceley the others were nervous about the Hams being under so we went by Tirley Knowle to climb onto Wickridge Street and onto the cafe at Staunton. Our return took us by Gadfield Elm and Pendock. The water pipe works at Berrow meant some mud but we got through OK. Just the usual Castlemorton lanes for us to complete a lovely sunny outing. 38 smiles

footloose crow

Über Member
Sat 14 December. The Tresillian Watershed Ride

"When does a stream become a river?" is one of those questions that Madame Crow likes to ask and to which after nearly four decades of teaching geography I have no satisfactory answer. Today after a week of gales and heavy rain, I planned a ride that followed the watershed of the Tresillian River, It is most definitely a river at high tide when the sea swells the lower reaches into a lake like length of water. It is even called a river on the map. The rest of it appears to be a stream but one that reaches from the south coast up into the higher part of the hills that run spine like along the length of Cornwall. I can see a connection of roads that just about follow the edge of the watershed, a thin, tenuous connection of ridges with some steep drops and ascents across minor side valleys that will give me a new ride along different roads.

Screenshot 2019-12-14 at 15.00.53.png

I pass the Tresillian River first, swelled by the incoming tide although not yet covering the mudbanks that flash quicksilver in the winter sun. This is downhill but not for long and Truck Hill soon slows me and dampens my enthusiasm for the ride. On past the village of Probus, quiet today even on a Saturday, everyone Christmas shopping or just staying indoors and out of the cold. Steep drops and ascents between stubby hedges, pheasants shooting up in a whir of wings as I pass, fields bare and waiting for the spring. As am I, even though we have yet to reach the shortest day. Grampound Road, another quiet village passes quickly and then it is north for a fast couple of miles on a good road. It won't last.

Now it is time to turn left and search for the furthest, highest point of the Tresillian River, or what now can only be called a stream. Whatever it is I cannot see it, just trace with my eyes where I think it goes along the bottom of the valley, a line of trees and scrubby bushes that grow along it's banks. This road is not often used by anyone and is slowly disappearing below a layer of earth and leaves, twigs and small branches blown down from the gales last week.The road dives down into dark, wooded hollows and immediately climbs back up again. This a quiet time in the countryside, birds are conserving their energy and sit quiet, hidden away. There is no traffic noise here, even the wind is moving silently through the trees. The only intrusion is the scraping and scratching where mud has piled up beneath my mudguard and my panting breath.

I have sketched where the route goes on some paper, copied from the Ride with GPS app at home, because again I don't have the map I need. I stop more frequently now, checking my sketch against the landscape, still searching for a sight of the source of the Tresillian River. These roads are so quiet that a pair of dog walkers blithely walk along the middle of the road, two spaniels running free. I have already met a farm dog and been chased, these dogs look as if they just want to get under my wheels. I come to a halt, brakes squealing and complaining about all the mud on the discs. The dogs wait for me to start again before they dart back under my wheel. I look to the owners but they seem unconcerned. Maybe the dogs will move away at the last moment? I test the theory satisfactorily and am away again, climbing up to the highest point of the day where the vista opens up from the white hills of the China Clay works far to the east to the hidden and secret valleys of mid Cornwall to the west. The fields are wet after all the rain and the weak sunlight glistens and flashes on the ridges, the shadows gather in the valleys.

From here it is mainly downhill and that is pleasing because I have struggled today on the hills, chest tight and lungs complaining. It is hard to avoid worries about heart and health on those lonely roads but I try to focus instead on the joy of spinning pedals and the open views from my high and commanding ridge road, hedges low and straggly and nothing to interrupt my view. I go too fast on the steep downhill back to Tresillian, a bend I had forgotten about under trees, the road greasy and a thin layer of mud makes it worse. I lock up both wheels and skid, wobbling before making myself let go of the brakes and let the bike run. We survive and enter the sunlight again next to the River Tresillian, now most definitely a river, wide and brim full of water, stained brown by the runoff from fields.

I never saw the transition from stream to river, it simply was one and then the other. A metaphor for life itself where one never sees the transition from boy to man, the change only becoming apparent when looking back, the moment of change elusive. This autumn has changed too into deep winter, leaves gone, fields empty, birds silent. I long for their return and the warm winds of spring. Cold and shivering now, I tackle the last hill without enthusiasm and head for the warmth of hearth and home.

colly

Re member eR
Home about 6pm and now it's about 9pm I have FINALLY warmed up.

So first off a big thanks to @Slioch for suggesting and organising. It was a cracking route which would be even more cracking on a warm, dry, less windy day.
I drove to York and parked at the Rawcliffe Bar park and ride. After a brief cycle around I got back in the car to warm up a bit and 5 mins later at about 9.20 I set off to where the cycle path from the centre of York came in and I passed a chap getting his bike out of the back of his car.
A swift about turn and I asked if he was here to meet up with the Cyclechat mob. It turned out to be @EasyPeez . We introduced ourselves and I casually mentioned that, earlier at home, I could not find any of the buffs I had. Being well prepared and a proper gent he had two with him and he kindly loaned me one for the day. I have to say that made SUCH a difference to my day. Thanks @EasyPeez :okay::okay:
So bang on time the main crew hove into sight just as we approach the cycle track. We made a company of 6 in total
@Slioch
@Julia9054
@Almartino
@EasyPeez
@Buck
and yours truly
It started raining about 5 miles before Boroughbridge where we stopped for coffee and food. We spent about 40 mins there while the rain came on in earnest.
Setting off again it was into a cold, cold headwind and rain laced with hail.
Did I mention it was cold? Well it was.
We made out way through Bishop Monkton and Markington to turn south just before Bishop Thornton. Almartino was having a couple of issues. One with his backpack but more seriously with, I think, a back problem. So poor Al was having to take it very steady. Julia had an nasty case of 'cleatcomingloose' which could have been a show stopper but It was sorted by @Slioch and others.
We made it to Ripley and stopped for a 'comfort break' and then picked up the Nidderdale Greenway which took us to the outskirts of Harrogate and eventually into Knaresborough.
Al and Julia live in Knaresborough and because of Al's worstening back problem they skipped the coffee stop and headed straight back home. Probably a wise decision.
So the remaining four of us took the chance to warm up (a little) and dry out some. A while later and with about 20 miles to go we were on the road again but thankfully the wind for the most part was coming from behind and the rain had eased off. ( it was still cold though) So we pressed on through Little Ribston, Cowthorpe, Tockwith, Askham Richard and eventually into York again. @Buck had parked his car near the race course and so left us before the centre.
A brief call into the busy train station and then off the end of one of the platforms straight onto a purpurse build cycle path. (can't ask for more than that)
The path took us back to Rawcliffe bar park and ride past the River Ouse. Prone to flooding as York is the river was high and some of the surrounding fields were underwater as was part of the path to only a depth of 2 or 3 inches thankfully.
We said our goodbyes and made our seperate ways home.

All in all a good day out in good company and no matter that it was COLD and very wet and windy it was still a good ride.

63.7 miles with about 1800ft of up.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/42790490

Last edited:
Top Bottom