Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
After abandoning our attempt last week to complete the imperial century challenge @13 rider and myself had another go today.

Route was planned from Leicester to Lincoln to take advantage of the strong winds forecast. Would be 104 miles for him and 108 for me if we followed the route.

Out of the door at 06:20 for a leisurely pootle to the meeting point in Cossington for 07:20. It's only 11 miles or so, so no need to rush, but a nice tailwind and I'm flying along and get there nice and early. Decide to grab some roads for the ride every road website, shoulder check to turn right and see a bike coming up behind me, turn around and it is @13 rider so we head straight off.

He told me he had done an extra 4 miles to the meet so we decided we might change the route towards the end.

Up Humble Lane for the first easy climb of the day and along very familiar roads with the wind on our backs and before long we have the first proper climb of the day, Saxelbye hill and then the long but steady drag up to Wartnaby.

Head towards Belvoir and we are flying along with the wind. Through Denton, across the A607 and a right mean old climb.

Get to the A1 and use the bridge to get over and head to Ropsley, a six mile loop to grab a couple of veloviewer squares that included 3 or 4 miles into the headwind and it was hard work and we are back in Rospley.

We then head pretty much due north and take a slight detour to grab another veloviewer square at RAF Barkston Heath, Was a steady climb again into the headwind and again it was hard work, then a few miles of more steady climbing and we get to Byards Leap for the cafe stop.

Coffee and sausage sandwiches consumed and I tried to give @13 rider away as toddler on the table next to us took a shine to him, unfortunately his parents weren't interested. At this point we'd agreed that we would skip a loop that was on the route at Bardney as we thought we might be only a mile short of the ton by going direct to Lincoln from there. This might mean we could get the 14:17 (or something like that) train.

Through Cranwell (another RAF village) along a glorious bridleway which meant we didn't have to ride the A15. The wind is well and truly blowing now and we are doing 24-25 mph on the flat with no effort. Get to Walcott and turn into the wind for another 4 or 5 miles of really hard work. At one point we are working as hard as we can and doing 14 mph.

Eventually get to Metheringham and once again start to get the benefit of the wind and again have another mid 20's effortless ride to Bardney.

Distance marker along the water rail way indicated we would finish on 101 miles so no need to find anything extra if it was correct. 9 miles of even harder work as we once again head into the wind and we get to the station at about 12:55, the 13:01 train is in the station and we grab our tickets and get on the train. 101 miles each done.

Well done to @13 rider who completed his 3rd year of the challenge.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2920034897

Alex H

Legendary Member
7 December A day at the seaside

'Sibling rivalry is bad' says my sister-in-law who is a consultant clinical psychologist but I remember her as a gawky eighteen year old when she first met my brother. That helps overcome my natural deference to authority.

My brother is here for the weekend and we are going for a bike ride. This means a hidden agenda of who can climb the hill fastest, who can descend most crazily, who has the best boasts about virility and activity levels for late middle aged men. We have been practicing sibling rivalry for sixty years and we now are quite good at it. Madame Crow and the Psychologist are coming with us on a cycle ride over the hill to Perranporth for lunch. The Psychologist wants to know "how big is the hill?".

:bravo::bravo::bravo:

Excellent! - Another 20 or so like that and you'll have a best seller on your hands :okay:

13 rider

Guru
After abandoning our attempt last week to complete the imperial century challenge @13 rider and myself had another go today.

Route was planned from Leicester to Lincoln to take advantage of the strong winds forecast. Would be 104 miles for him and 108 for me if we followed the route.

Out of the door at 06:20 for a leisurely pootle to the meeting point in Cossington for 07:20. It's only 11 miles or so, so no need to rush, but a nice tailwind and I'm flying along and get there nice and early. Decide to grab some roads for the ride every road website, shoulder check to turn right and see a bike coming up behind me, turn around and it is @13 rider so we head straight off.

He told me he had done an extra 4 miles to the meet so we decided we might change the route towards the end.

Up Humble Lane for the first easy climb of the day and along very familiar roads with the wind on our backs and before long we have the first proper climb of the day, Saxelbye hill and then the long but steady drag up to Wartnaby.

Head towards Belvoir and we are flying along with the wind. Through Denton, across the A607 and a right mean old climb.

Get to the A1 and use the bridge to get over and head to Ropsley, a six mile loop to grab a couple of veloviewer squares that included 3 or 4 miles into the headwind and it was hard work and we are back in Rospley.

We then head pretty much due north and take a slight detour to grab another veloviewer square at RAF Barkston Heath, Was a steady climb again into the headwind and again it was hard work, then a few miles of more steady climbing and we get to Byards Leap for the cafe stop.

Coffee and sausage sandwiches consumed and I tried to give @13 rider away as toddler on the table next to us took a shine to him, unfortunately his parents weren't interested. At this point we'd agreed that we would skip a loop that was on the route at Bardney as we thought we might be only a mile short of the ton by going direct to Lincoln from there. This might mean we could get the 14:17 (or something like that) train.

Through Cranwell (another RAF village) along a glorious bridleway which meant we didn't have to ride the A15. The wind is well and truly blowing now and we are doing 24-25 mph on the flat with no effort. Get to Walcott and turn into the wind for another 4 or 5 miles of really hard work. At one point we are working as hard as we can and doing 14 mph.

Eventually get to Metheringham and once again start to get the benefit of the wind and again have another mid 20's effortless ride to Bardney.

Distance marker along the water rail way indicated we would finish on 101 miles so no need to find anything extra if it was correct. 9 miles of even harder work as we once again head into the wind and we get to the station at about 12:55, the 13:01 train is in the station and we grab our tickets and get on the train. 101 miles each done.

Well done to @13 rider who completed his 3rd year of the challenge.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2920034897
I was just about to do a write up you save me a job . Thanks for all the company on this year's challenge and congrats on your 6th year . Excellent decision of yours to alter the plan mid week to make use of the wind . Can you and make sure we don't finish with 10 miles of headwind at the end next time .
You didn't mention you got to the ton 2 minutes before me ,but my ton was quicker

Small world. I work in Stowmarket and am a member of Stowmarket & District Cycling Club :okay::hello:
I may well have passed you at some time, by that I mean in the other direction and not overtaken, I wish !
Some good rides once out of Stow and still finding new roads or should that be lanes ? One of my pet hates is the road at Mendlesham near Galloway coaches, awful surface for about half a mile or so but I have found an alternative albeit narrow and shorter, missing out Mendlesham altogether !

jongooligan

Legendary Member
We were a bit pressed for time today so just got out for our bread and butter tandem ride.

Down the orbital road to Chester le Street market place as Mrs. jg doesn't like riding through the town then the usual route through North Lodge to get onto the C2C path. It makes for a relaxing, traffic free ride and it was particularly quiet today, possibly due to the Arctic blast sweeping across us.

IMG_0145.JPG

Beamish Shorthorn

Lots of winter visitors along this corridor taking advantage of the massive berry crop. Not sure whether they were Fieldfares or Redwings. Difficult to tell when wearing sunglasses and they move so quickly.

At Annfield Plain we turned for home and immediately felt the strong wind pushing us along. Usually this is something to rejoice but Mrs. jg soon got cold now that we weren't having to work hard and she began to whine piteously.

I tried to cheer her up, "Tha's nobbut nesh lass. Tha's blood like chip shop vinegar." but my kind words only seemed to enrage her. When I reminded her that I was manfully braving the cold and providing her with a substantial windbreak she blew her top. Well at least she'd stopped complaining about the cold now.

It's almost all downhill from Annfield Plain too so we were travelling fast through the frigid air. We had a choice; blast home and get very, very cold for a short time or take it easy and get very cold for a much longer time. We gave it a blast and came barrelling down over Waldridge Fell with chattering teeth at 40mph.

When we got home I stuck the kettle on and began to unpack the rack bag. Mrs. jg had put a spare thermal in there. Why didn't she put it on instead of suffering on the way back. I daren't ask her.

You need a strong marriage to share a tandem but I don't think we'll be testing just how strong ours is until it gets a lot warmer.

1575905944986.png

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
My ride Saturday...glad of a niceish day and not too cold. Alas 2 mins into my ride I head over a ford which was a bit too deep ...turned round...had to put my foot down....so did the whole ride with a cold wet right foot. Anyway
108Km - Blaby - Willoughby Waterlys - Ashby Parva - Ashby Magna - Gilmorton - Walcote -South Kilworth - Stanford - Cold Ashby - Guilsborough - Naseby - Cottersbrooke - Creaton - Cottesbrooke - Naseby - Sibertoft - Marston Trussel - Thedingworth - Saddington - Arnesby - Peatling Parva - Countesthorpe.
Last 30K was unusually tough...felt very unfit...alas I seemed to have a full blown cold by the Sunday so I'm not too upset haha photo from a most elcome bench in theddingworth. Buildings on the right were once part of a railway station apparently......

After reading the report from @jongooligan I think I should consider myself lucky with the ride today. I did`nt get out until 2.00 pm but by which time the worst of the wind had abated, mind you it was still about 22mph from the NNW with 30odd mph gusts but I did`nt experience those.
Heading off to the east I had the wind behind me for about a mile and a half but that was about to change as I then headed north to Stowupland and then finding my new found lane to by-pass the crappy road surface before Mendlesham.
Because of the wind I thought i`d just do an out and back to Wickham Skeith to save me from an open stretch of head wind, instead it was a cross wind so not as bad, FLW ! I turned around by the village green in Wickham Skeith and felt I had a helping hand back towards Mendlesham. I put a loop in around Mendlesham before following the lane, actually called Hoggars Road, who are they trying to kid ? At least the wind was behind me so I decided to continue back to Stowupland via Saxham Street and then right towards Nutshells cafe. Normally I arrive at the junction from the opposite direction but traffic was light so hence the main road, so to speak. Incidentally, Nutshells cafe is pretty good and cyclists have found it, judging by the bikes that are parked outside. It is only just over two miles from home so a bit too close for a stop ! I had a good ride despite the wind, it just mad me work harder. In fact the worst part of the ride for wind seemed to be near home for some strange reason, probably due to funneling because of the housing ? 21.2 miles at a 16.8 mph average.

gavgav

Guru
After last nights storm had died down, during the day and with an even worse one forecast for tomorrow, out for a short spin, after work. Food shopping can wait until later in the week!

Just my usual route around Shrewsbury. The River is on its way up again, even lapping the edge of the towpath, in one place and so after tomorrow’s rain I expect the towpath will be closed again, very soon.

Quite a few branches to dodge, that had fallen in the overnight wind and even more Christmas lights have been added to the house on Sandiway.

13.0 miles

AndreaJ

Veteran
Didn’t go out yesterday because it was too windy and I’m not keen on getting blown about so decided to try today although it was still quite windy but the sun was shining for a change. Started out on my usual route through Whixall, over the canal to Fenns Wood then back over the canal to Alkington. Turn up Maltkiln Lane and decided to change my planned route as the wind was dropping a bit and head to Tilstock, turn right back towards Coton and took a new route towards Prees hoping that it would take me somewhere I recognised , came onto Station Road which sounded hopeful and guessed turning right again would take me back to the Whitchurch Road, started to doubt this as I didn’t remember it being far to the station but came to a sign informing me that I was back in Coton and then the station. How Prees station is in Coton is a mystery but it was the lane I hoped and it did come back on the main road which I stayed on until Edstaston where I turned past the church and bus station, through to Waterloo, Northwood and back home. 18.8 miles and the roads are mostly back to floods, puddles and mud. Lovely sunny day but it was a bit chilly.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
There were more gales and rain forecast for today but I'd promised the offspring that I'd make 'em a game casserole for when they get in from work* and the only place I could think of to buy game was Durham market. A drive into Durham at this time of year is not fun so I braved the weather and set off on my bike towards Lumley. Not the quickest way to Durham but I had a cunning plan.

Firstly I dodged onto the private road around the back of Lumley Castle in order to dodge the traffic on Lumley New Road. When I got to Lumley the weather wasn't too bad - very windy but just showery rain so I chucked in a lap of the Leamside TT course before arriving at Cocken Lodge for the second time. Now to carry out the second part of the cunning plan - skip past the 'no cycling' sign, reasoning that the weather is too foul for anyone to be on the footpath, then cross the river Wear at Finchale Priory to access the quiet road up to the prison. Worked a treat.

20191210_100919.jpg

River Wear at Finchale Priory

And the best bit of the plan is that from the prison there's a bridleway that runs right into the city centre making this by far the most pleasant route into Durham from the north.

Bought a pack of mixed game and some venison sausages from the market and set off home along the bridleway. By now the showers had ganged up into more persistent rain which, along with the wind, was making for a very chilly and unpleasant ride. It was time to go home by the quickest route so I endured the Arnison Centre traffic and took the cycle path up the A167 to log 22 miles.

Now eating a venison sausage and redcurrant jelly sandwich that makes all the travails of the ride worth the effort.

1575981246704.png

*I'm just going to savour that phrase: "....when they get home from work." It wasn't long ago that I thought they were going to be dependent on us forever.

There were more gales and rain forecast for today but I'd promised the offspring that I'd make 'em a game casserole for when they get in from work* and the only place I could think of to buy game was Durham market. A drive into Durham at this time of year is not fun so I braved the weather and set off on my bike towards Lumley. Not the quickest way to Durham but I had a cunning plan.

Firstly I dodged onto the private road around the back of Lumley Castle in order to dodge the traffic on Lumley New Road. When I got to Lumley the weather wasn't too bad - very windy but just showery rain so I chucked in a lap of the Leamside TT course before arriving at Cocken Lodge for the second time. Now to carry out the second part of the cunning plan - skip past the 'no cycling' sign, reasoning that the weather is too foul for anyone to be on the footpath, then cross the river Wear at Finchale Priory to access the quiet road up to the prison. Worked a treat.

View attachment 496020
River Wear at Finchale Priory

And the best bit of the plan is that from the prison there's a bridleway that runs right into the city centre making this by far the most pleasant route into Durham from the north.

Bought a pack of mixed game and some venison sausages from the market and set off home along the bridleway. By now the showers had ganged up into more persistent rain which, along with the wind, was making for a very chilly and unpleasant ride. It was time to go home by the quickest route so I endured the Arnison Centre traffic and took the cycle path up the A167 to log 22 miles.

Now eating a venison sausage and redcurrant jelly sandwich that makes all the travails of the ride worth the effort.

View attachment 496021
*I'm just going to savour that phrase: "....when they get home from work." It wasn't long ago that I thought they were going to be dependent on us forever.
I do so like cunning plans !

8mph

Veteran
I did a 48 km loop to Alcamo and stopped at the hot springs on the way back. I spent 90 minutes there bidding my time to get a shot of the spring when no one else was there. Rode home and I have to say I feel absolutly wiped out from staying in the hot water for too long. Wasn't expecting that!
20191210_140923.jpg

20191210_140756.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom