Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A 15 mile ride on my Cube yesterday and a 14 mile ride on my Spa this morning.

on my Spa I went for the delightful Darkie Hill. 24% at its Steepest

https://www.strava.com/activities/2931693677

And today

https://www.strava.com/activities/2934083264

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Another Sunday shopping trip - this time to get a couple of pasta snacks from the local(ish) Aldi forlunch at work next week. Bright and sunny but a very stiff breeze, with heavy overnight rain leaving many of the back roads I prefer to use mud covered or looking a bit like this...
Waldringfield Road Flooding (2).jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/2934803469
Screenshot_2019-12-15 Sunshine, wind December's 50k Ride Strava(1).png
Screenshot_2019-12-15 Sunshine, wind December's 50k Ride Strava.png

AndreaJ

Veteran
It was a lovely sunny day in Shropshire today, no wind or rain for a change and I had planned a new route to try. I started to Northwood, through to Welshampton where I turned to Lyneal down a filthy muddy lane then turned to Loppington where I found a tractor and hedge cutter filling the lane. The farmer did see me and moved over to let me past the lane did come out in Loppington but not quite where I thought it would. Turned to go through Loppington to Burlton and up to Myddle, turned again to Balderton , over the Wem road and down a big bank to Yorton. Unfortunately this means going up a big bank to get to Clive, went through Clive to turn back towards Wem where the prize for worst overtake of the day goes to the hearse which passed me despite the oncoming traffic, turn to Barkers Green, Aston, back into Wem, over the railway crossing to Creamore, Edstaston, Highfields, Horton and past The Moatshed back home. I am thinking of entering the cycle Shropshire sportive/sponsored ride for Hope House next year so trying some new routes to get some longer rides done first.28 miles @15mph average and a nice change of scenery.

gavgav

Guru
A day of carrying out Interviews had drained the life out of me and so I needed a ride after work. The River is out of its banks again and so had to use my alternative shorter town route. Glad I didn’t choose the lanes, as there has been an accident on the A49, which is closed and so traffic chaos down the diversion routes.

Chilly but deadly calm as I followed the cycle paths to Reabrook and Heathgates, then joined the roads through Castlefields. Came to the bend, where Sydney Avenue starts, to find the road closed signs out, but decided to risk it and see if the River was indeed on the road. It wasn’t, but was lapping the edge of it by the weir. I think it will be impassable, tomorrow, after yesterday’s monsoons.

Continued over the bridge and into Monkmoor, where a youth crossed the road, diagonally from the right, not even looking to the left, causing me to have to brake hard. I rang my bell at him and startled his 1 brain cell!

Looped around the estate, then up past the Shirehall, before taking London Rd, Ebnal Rd, Wenlock Rd and a spur of the moment to go and see how the nearby A5 services construction was getting on.....It’s open!! Has a Subway, Sainsbury’s Local and Petrol Station, which could be useful for me, certainly on quiet days at least. Might be packed during the Summer holidays though, with the hordes heading for Wales, stopping there.

10.8 miles

Mr Celine

Discordian
Sunday's ride. Too cold and icy to go out in the morning but it looked better in the afternoon. It was still very cold and took about 6 miles to warm up, whence I had to stop to strip off a layer. I had a quick chat with some chooks, not my own for a change.

From there I carried on up the Woll climb. Like most border hills these are very rounded which means there is no view into the valleys from the summit. Not being in a hurry I stopped before the view disappeared.

View looks north east. Bottom part of Selkirk above the back wheel, Galashiels in the distance above the top tube, top end of Selkirk above the front wheel. The bike is beautifully perched on the turf which was frozen solid. There had been no ice on the road up to now, but there was some on the summit plateau which wasn't surprising as it's higher. Unfortunately there was a lot of intermittent ice on the descent and on roads on the other side of the hill. Next pic is half way down the descent trying (and failing) to capture the snow covered Cheviot on the horizon.

It was now just after 3:00 and the sun was rapidly dipping towards the horizon. Due to the state of the roads I couldn't make rapid progress until I got to lower altitude further east, at which point I was inevitably passed by the cooncil gritter.
I had lights anyway and was home before it was completely dark.
The map -

30.15 miles @ 12.7mph, 686m up.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Another utility ride today on the hybrid, just to Boots the chemist on the other side of town for a flu jab. Never had one before, not sure why I did it this time but the Fragrant MrsP said we should, so we did.

6.85 miles today, the seventh consecutive day riding my bike and the sixth not using the car unnecessarily. Getting close to my end of year goal now.

footloose crow

Über Member
Tuesday17 December. East to Goss Moor and the Clay Country

Frost this morning and the air sharp in my lungs like breathing ice, fingers ends numb where they touch the metal of the brake levers, heading downhill into the shadowed lane that runs north of Truro past the primary school, playground sounds that take me back to my old job. Yesterday Madame Crow and myself cycled to the seaside along sunny, dry lanes and had lunch in Portreath, watching the winter waves storm the beach. Those 36 hilly miles are dragging on my legs today. Nothing is in sync this morning, breathing ragged, legs hurting on the smallest gradient, clanking, ugly gear changes, wobbles on the mud covered lane past Idless Woods. This lane never dries out until the end of winter, shaded even today under the bare branches of oak, ash and hazel with deep drifts of leaves and lumpy trails of mud from tractor wheels.

Once uphill and clear of the woods I can see far to the west there is a darkness on the horizon, a promise of rain to come. For now the pale blue sky is still clear of clouds and the air sparkles, I am breathing frozen champagne. My legs have stopped grumbling.

The plan today is to roughly follow the line of the A30 eastwards but on small lanes and forgotten ways, dipping up and down, crossing the valleys that run north south down from the spine of Cornwall. The lanes are very quiet, some closed to traffic where they were once part of the old A30 before the dual carriageway, a thin and weedy line of tarmac slowly surrendering to gorse and bramble. A vision of post apocalyptic Britain when the oil runs out and everyone uses bikes.

Sometimes I can see the A30, traffic moving slowly at this distance, just a faint hum from time to time.

Every time I stop to look at the map (I have a map today!) or to lose some of the tea that is pressing on my bladder, I feel the warmth of the sun, even though the air is cold, grating my throat, chilling me deep inside. The sun has brought out the birds, some pheasant born this year just coming into their colours, daft birds that run across the road, stop and then run back making me brake to avoid them. The magpies are always here, as are the crows but there are smaller birds, moving too quickly to identify, their trilling informing me spring is coming one day, just not today. The threatened rain is moving to the north coast as it so often does, leaving me in sunshine, although it is no warmer.

Across the A30 and now the long pull uphill through Fraddon and Indian Queens. The A30 somewhere to my right rises steeply too and I can hear the trucks grinding down through the gears, as am I, warm now as I work hard pushing the pedals down.

On and along, the road mercifully flat until the turn right onto Goss Moor, a wilderness of uncultivated land, swampy after the winter rains, a mixture of moor and bog covered in dwarf oak. It is the largest area of mire in south west England but fortunately it has a cycle path across it. I pass the place that is the source of the River Fal and then follow it's infant valley along twisting lanes, my vista blocked by tall, uncut hedges and small copses.

Now it is up and up and up along narrow lanes, lined with granite walls, to the mining village of St Dennis. This is an uncompromising landscape, cut through with huge china clay quarries and pyramidal spoil heaps. I have chosen roads that take me away from the heavy traffic of laden lorries carrying clay to processing plants but even so a large tipper truck causes me to wobble, heart racing, adrenalin in my blood as it suddenly appears on my elbow, it's noise masked by the hat over my ears and the wind whistling in my helmet. There is too little space for us both and I stop suddenly, yanking the brakes and finding sanctuary in a small widening of the road, a place where the granite walls move back slightly. I am not convinced the driver, sitting some ten feet higher than me and rumbling down the road even knows or cares that I am here, trembling, cross.

From St Dennis it is a fast downhill for a few miles to St Stephen. Cornwall - the land of the Saints. I can see the evidence of mining everywhere although it is all now in decline as new deposits of china clay have been found in Brazil. It is like Kentucky or West Virginia here, small communities separated by tradition and steep hills. But there is no Clay Country music apart from the brass bands that practice in the squat granite village halls. No fiddles or banjos, although there is tradition of Cornish folk singing, the words sound sad and plaintive but I can't speak Cornish like nearly everyone here, so it is the melody and sound and not the words that move me.

My memory from planning the route was that there were no more hills after St Stephen - I am wrong. A steep uphill, deceptive so that I stand on the pedals, forcing the bike to ascend thinking this is just a small ramp and then the lane turns and steepens further, more and more of it, two crows sitting on a telegraph pole mocking my efforts as my heart strains to keep pace with my ambition for climbing this hill. And then steeply down, back to the familiar game of snakes and ladders as the down is followed by another up although this time I can see the line of the road as it winds up the hill that is blocking the horizon, an uphill skein of hedges across the empty pastures, the cows now indoors and out of the cold.

Muddy lanes, tall hedges, more small rises and falls until in the slanting afternoon light I can finally see Probus and this is the penultimate hill. A fast descent down Truck Hill and now only the last couple of miles home, spinning along by the Tresillian River, low tide, the December sun dropping early so now it's picking out the shadowed course of the river in its deep trench and the platforms of mud, flashing and glowing in the light. A last hill, spinning slowly, keeping my breathing under control but not going to bother the Strava KOM time today - or any day. Arriving home, the lawn is starting to freeze again although it is only mid afternoon.

I am still aiming at my own 'Festive 500', but one where I have all of December and not just a week to complete it. More than halfway through the month now and 300km done; 200km to go. The next three days have weather warnings for wind and rain, so I can rest. I need a rest. Cornwall is beautiful but there are a lot of ups and downs.

Screenshot 2019-12-17 at 19.00.37.png

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Floods again in the valley so I took the Tunnel Hill dodge to the meet. Jules H and Margaret PR were waiting. We avoided the school as that was likely to be flooded too. So around by The Rampings got us onto our usual route for Tewkesbury. The River here was high but the flooding wasn't too bad. We took a very short detour to visit Aston-on-Carrant, a first for me. At Beckford the cafe was closed so we adopted plan B and headed for The Queen Elizabeth Inn at Elmley Castle. Very nice too. We asked about Eckington Bridge and.were assured it hadn't flooded. So that allowed us to take our standard run back by the Combertons and Strensham to Upton where we parted. It was a good day for birds of prey today. 3 Red Kites, many Kestrels and Buzzards and on my way back at Tyre Hill I spied a rather rare Hen Harrier. Wonderful. 58 smiles

[EDIT: I posted this in entirely the wrong thread. For some reason I mistook this thread for the "Your Ride Today" thread. Sorry about that. Quite how I managed this I'm not entirely sure, I'm putting it down to a lack of proper tea...]

The plan today was to ride around a 60k loop through the valley to the south of us, but after job applications were completed I realised the sun would set and I'd be riding the second part in the dark. This isn't the end of the world as I've cycled it in darkness when commuting to college but it also wouldn't be a lot of fun, so I reluctantly went for a rather shorter loop around the local airport. Not as scenic but better than nothing.

2019_12_18_Airport_Loop_01.JPG

The first stage was along the valley that passes our village. This it turns out, is quite muddy when it is wet.

Fortunately the bike was getting a bit muddy so it needed a clean anyway...

2019_12_18_Airport_Loop_02.JPG

There are so many infrastructure projects around the airport it is getting difficult to find a way through. It sits in the fields like a Martian colony: suddenly you go from being surrounded by ploughed farmland to paved roads, glass buildings and advertisements.

I cut through the exhibition centre, feeling pretty smug until I found that the authorities had found this route and made a diversion. As this is so they can build a tram route to the airport I probably shouldn't complain.

Still did though.

2019_12_18_Airport_Loop_03.JPG

As suddenly as it appears, the airport ends and I was back in open countryside. This is the old route of a railway line, turned into a cycleway when the railway was rebuilt to go under the airport. I generally don't take pictures for a bit after this as the cycleway crosses the US military section of the airport and I'm told they get quite fussy about people with cameras.

2019_12_18_Airport_Loop_04.JPG

To the south of the airport now. This is a Feldweg or agricultural road, open to pedestrians, bikes, and tractors but not cars. As you can see it is a little mucky. What you can't see is that the bike has cleaned it up by transferring much of the muck onto the frame and me.

2019_12_18_Airport_Loop_05.JPG

Return of "My bike in front of a control tower".

2019_12_18_Airport_Loop_06.JPG

Last leg of the ride using another Feldweg: our village is on the other side of those trees. light vanishing, bike utterly, utterly filthy having hit a dip in the road that was flooded with silty mud.

It was so bad I cleaned the bike when I got back. I doubt it was a very good job: I had to stop every three minutes and switch the light on again, but at least it'll be an improvement. It also meant I realised one of the pedals is getting loose,so I guess that'll go on the never ending "urgent jobs" list...

Mod Note:
the mods team just saw this, I'm moving it now to the your ride today thread.
@Andy in Germany next time please use the report function :tongue:

Last edited by a moderator:

Old jon

Guru
Ooops. Seventeen days since my last ride. And I have changed continents again, back to the UK. Three days after returning to the f - f - f - freezing weather here I was rewarded with the beginnings of a cold. It was only this morning that I felt anything like going for a ride and it did help that the local temperature is a few degrees warmer.

It did feel strange though, and I cannot work out why. Riding on the left maybe. Anyway, this was always going to be a short ride, a dozen miles in the end although I did have ( silly ) ideas of riding further. A wander through Holbeck to start with, the place has changed little. Find Office Lock and the towpath and ride towards Liverpool. Sounds good, but that might have been a bit too much for one day. I reached Viaduct Road but neglected to turn off there. Feeling idle, I carried on along the towpath for a while and noticed a turn to the relatively new Kirkstall railway station. Let’s look along there.

Kirkstall Station.jpg

No ticket barriers, which seems odd for a station less than four years old, but across the line and then the river to reach Abbey Road and the right turn to take me back into Leeds. Just a few more urban miles to remind the legs what riding is about, return to the towpath by the river bridge from Whitehall Road. That leaves a short pedal through a corner of Hunslet and across the motorway ( bridge ) to home, happily reached just as the next shower started. Pretty good, the next will be better.

And the whole route

19122019.jpg

Top Bottom