Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Another utility ride today to the post office, served by the strangest man in the world. Then back across country, attempted to come along the Icknield Way, but it was all churned up by lorries and tractors, so I went back some of the way I came then detoured at the bottom of The Ridgeway and along the single track road down to Blewbury. 12.42 cold very muddy miles. Had to wash the hybrid when I got home.

Last edited:

footloose crow

Über Member
Thursday 5 December. Lost lanes in mining country

When the Clash wrote 'Should I stay or should I go' as an angst filled paen to the indecisive girlfriend, how did they know it would become an anthem for indecision? It is cold and grey when I peer beyond the curtains but light enough to irritate Madame Crow who pulls the duvet over her head. Having foolishly declared an intention of cycling 500km this month, my version of the Festive 500, I need to do two 63k rides a week or three 42k ones. In between weather and events this may be a tough target. Events keep occurring. Mainly unexpected ones. Should I stay or should I go?

Go. It is very cold today despite the optimism of the forecast. I can feel the freeze deep into my lungs. Taking it easy at first as the road still has ice in places, cautiously heading downhill past the quiet bungalows of backwater Truro. My fingers freeze in too thin gloves. A careful right turn, the memory of my spin and crash three days ago still fresh in the mind and in the pain from my hip. The yellow electricians tape holding the battered remains of my bar tape together are also a good reminder. Out of Truro now, fields still frosty, frozen leaves in the road, the edges of the lane scarred by tractor wheels, mud and puddles glistening coldly in the winter light. Familiar territory so far but I have mapped a ride that takes me along lanes I have never been down before - easy enough in this part of Cornwall where the lanes twist and follow secret paths, where roads I have travelled before seem to vanish or just play hard to find and turnings take me somewhere I have never seen. Or back to where I started without ever getting to where I wanted to be.

The first wrong turning of the day takes me down a destroyed road, the concrete roadway turned into a facsimile of cobbles and ending up at a farm where a sign tells me that the road is private and that they charge £500 to re- open gates once they close behind you. A pointless diversion along a bone vibrating road, the mudguards shaking with fury until they choke with mud. Return and take the next left instead.

I can remember much of the way from poring over the map last night and continue confidently without checking. A left, a right, views across fields, a sudden glimpse of Truro hidden in its bowl of hills, the three spires of the cathedral above the mist. I am still cold. A new junction appears, unfamiliar territory suddenly, left or right here? "Should I stay or should I go" stuck in my head, an ear worm that beats in time with my legs turning. Time for the map. Where is the map? It was there when I left the morning but it has gone, fallen off unnoticed somewhere in the last ten miles. I don't want to go back. The only thing to do is 'Go'. I do wish this ear worm would leave me now.

I can use the phone to navigate but it isn't easy. The lanes form a dense and illogical pattern following the edges of Bronze Age fields that have long gone along with the reasons for making the lanes run in this way, complicated by the trackways built to wherever the tin and copper lodes were. I memorise the way from the tiny picture on the phone: go left, count three turnings and then right. But three turning later I have forgotten to count. My route quickly turns into a mystery tour, where I grab information from sign posts, avoiding the directions towards Redruth where I definitely don't want to go, or Falmouth or Penryn. I want to go to Stithians Lake but there are no signs to it. Crofthandy, Cusgarne, St Day, Vogue?? I try to recall a mental map of mid Cornwall's old mining villages.

The hills roll on. Cycling in hope rather than expectation of getting anywhere. Working on the assumption that where there is a choice between a steeper hill or a flatter one, the right way will always be the most difficult. Generally it seems to work and none of the hills today are as steep as the deep lanes of the Roseland or the incised valleys of the north coast. I make progress, vaguely anxious about where I am and the fact that I promised to be home in two hours. The sky is filmed with high grey stratus, the light levels low. Hedges confine my views apart from sudden glimpses across heather and bracken moors. I am still not sure where I am or how I got here but to my left is a blue streak of a lake. Keep turning left, rolling up and down small hills with the lake always somewhere on my left, occasionally glimpsed, my route hooking back towards Truro now. I am still cold, fingers numb, chest hurting with the frigid air, irritating the scar tissue where my left lung used to be.

Turn the pedals, watch the hedges pass, careful on the bends. Once a fast left hand bend deposits me into the path of a quarry lorry, the driver as frightened as me as I scrape past his right wheel. A second bend and an emerging tractor, the driver looking the other way, convinces me to slow but it is hard on these downhill bends where you want to get enough momentum for the hill beyond. The road is slippery too, my back wheel is locking up but not stopping my headlong rush to get home within the curfew time. It is already too late.

I start to recognise the villages. Frogpool, go left and past the Cornish Arms deep in the gloom of dripping trees and a sunken lane. Another turn and I am into the Bissoe Valley looking across to the arsenic ravaged slopes, brown and bare among the scrubby blackthorn clumps and wind pruned saplings.

Chacewater again. The nexus of all of my routes recently. An old mining village with a scruffy Spar and a fish and chip shop. On, on now up the hill. I manage 11mph where the Strava record is 26mph. I can't go that fast on the flat. Back into Truro, racing the traffic and gingerly passing the scene of my mishap, my hip aching to remind me and up Mitchell Hill, the last uphill to home. I am finally warm. Warm-ish. When is the Spring? Dropping down the final steep farm lane that leads to my house, brakes on hard, skidding on the moss and slime on the road all the way to the cattle grid, gingerly crossing the slippery tubes. I glance at my phone and am surprised to see how far I have come - and how late it is.

'Should I stay or should I go?'. Go every time, go.

Screenshot 2019-12-05 at 19.19.20.png

8mph

Veteran
I rode from Grotticelli (Sicily) to Alcamo. Set out at 12, grey skys but warm. Into Castelammare and took the Segesta road which passes by some hot springs. Sicily is a bit like Tuscany but with big limestone mountains interupting the rolling hills. The roads are ok on a road bike, there are usually a few stones to watch out for and the ocaissional large rock too.

I don't know how to describe Alcamo other than to say Its weird. Places along the coast have a more open feel about them compared to this place, it feels a bit like going back to the 80's.

I turned into a hot day with blue skys but I didn't have a camera with me. I took the same route back, not stopping at the springs, I plan to go there very early one morning to get a few good photos before anyone arrives and then cycle up Mount Inici.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A short utility ride today to Tesco for a loaf of bread and some biscuits, when I left it was dry, as soon as I sat on the saddle it rained. I got wet, and on the way back there was a really strong headwind. Just 4:12 miles, saving the planet a little bit. Years ago I wouldn’t have given a second thought to doing that trip in a car.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
This week Pete M woke on time. We took the same route as last week with lots of Redwings and Fieldfares flitting in the blustery breeze. John B appeared coming the other way at Canon Frome so a catch up ensued. Trumpet arrived so it was coffee time. We headed for Ledbury with Pete's tyre going down slowly. We had a shower of rain on the run back but it didn't last long. Nice wee outing. 35 smiles

Last edited:

8mph

Veteran
I had a look at some online maps and picked out an interesting looking route. After 20 minutes climbing I got to the track which I had selected. It was only ridable for about 70% of time going up, and the same coming down. Arrived in a pretty village called Scopello and rode back just before dusk. The sky and sea were a lovely lilac / pink.
I took some pics but my phone died recently so I've had to borrow one. The quality is just awful so I'll post them as thumbnails.
Sicily would be a great place to bring a MTB, I'm riding on 25mm tyres but having fun all the same.

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Good crowd at the meet. Jules H, Mrs 26, Steve E, Pete M, Margaret PR and me. Our route has been little used of late but it was the standard one. One of these days I'll suggest the Ankerdine climb instead of the "mini Ankerdine". We took in the Moseley loop before heading to the cafe at the Mayfly.
Some chat later it was back in the saddle for the usual run back. We discovered Jules' rear tyre was down to the canvas so some fettling in his future. Nice mild bright day. Ideal December riding conditions. 41 smiles

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The Fragrant MrsP and I went to Abingdon this morning, popped into Tesco for coffee and cake, then onto Marcham, Frilford and East Hannay back to Steventon and home. Grey cloudy day with some sunny spells, and some bloody awful driving from a couple of twunts in Harwell Village. A gnats gnadger over 24 miles on mostly dry roads to day on the Madone.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Time for a longer ride today, with the forecast for storms and rain all day tomorrow, today was going to be the best of a bad weekend. I set of North again through quiet country lanes before hitting the gravel. Then back onto asphalt for a kilometre before I turned off into the forest and onto the track I discovered last weekend. Before long the bike starts to skit around as it desperately hunts for grip, narrow gravel tyres and mud are not the best combination. As I dive deeper into the forest I start to hear the sound of guns, the hunters are out, but I've not seen any closed paths yet. I plough onwards towards Reballah over familiar tracks before turning off onto a side track towards Wildeck, which turns ever more into singletrack as we go.

After several kilometres the track widens and grows into a good gravel track and as I crest a small ridge I decided to really test the bike on the following downhill. Tucked in I watch the speedo fly up to 40kph as the trees fly past and the path twist and turns through the trees, exhilarating fun. Not long after the descent I come round a corner to find hazard tape blocking my way and a sign warning of shooting, bugger I think, until I realise the barrier is to stop people entering the paths I've just traversed! Oh well, I'm still alive and well, so nothing for it, but to duck under it, continue on my way and count my lucky stars.

Further into the Heide we venture, until we crest a rise and emerge into the heart of the Heathland. This area is teeming with folk at the end of the summer when the Heather is in full bloom, today though there is nothing but the deafening sounds of silence.

More fun downhill awaits followed by lots of riding on gluttonous sand, churned up by the passage of countless horses. I'm grateful when the Garmin chirps at me to turn back off into the forest. One question that's been uppermost in my mind since buying this bike is it's capabilities on traditional singletrack and unbeknownst to me I was about to get my answer. Turning left I was greeted by a sinuous narrow track weaving down through the trees, littered with tree roots and crater like deep puddles. I swept down through it all for over a kilometre, revelling in the capabilities of the bike and having a great time. Then it was kilometres of riding through the trees, linking track after track and winding my way ever closer home.

4km from home I left the forest for the last time and turned onto quiet country lanes into the full force of the wind. Nothing for it but to slip into a high gear, get down on the drops and replaying the highlights from the ride in my mind as I ground out the last kilometres home. Overall it was 58.8 km in just under 4 hours at an average speed of 18.8kph, not to bad given how much of the ride was off road.

gavgav

Guru
I was at my Cricket Club Annual Dinner, last night and so not feeling particularly spritely, this morning 🍺 What better thing to do, in order to clear the head, than my first 50k bike ride, since early August, just before I broke my hand.

It was mild, but quite blustery from the South, as I set out in the direction of Wales, through Bicton and Montford Bridge, then the lanes to Adcote and Great Ness. One silly little boy thought it was clever to lean out of a passing car and shout an obscenity at me. Such lovely children in this day and age :thumbsdown:

I crossed the old A5 and paused at the top of the bank, for some lunch, with a lovely view towards the Breiddens and Berwyn Mountains.

Unfortunately the direction I was heading, was into the wind, for a good 10 miles and it was hard work to Pentre, Melverley and Crew Green, where I crossed the bridge, into Wales, for a short while.

I was so glad to turn North, at Crew Green and had the strong breeze behind me, for a nice fast cruise to Coedway and Princes Oak, where I turned off and began the long drag up to Halfway House. Unfortunately I encountered an utter moron along here, who squeezed past me, on a narrow section, in his van......closely followed by the trailer he was towing, which was wider than the van and he turned towards me before he’d completed the dangerous pass. I had the choice of being knocked off or falling into the muddy bank. I chose the bank :cursing::cursing:.

Thankfully, despite many of the roads being busy, this was the only prat that I encountered. I crossed the A458 and slalomed my way between the craters on the road to Westbury. I turned North again, here, through Yockleton and Nox, again enjoyed a fast cruise, at 20-25 mph, with the wind behind me.

The lack of cycling meant that I was feeling the legs (and backside) a bit, by now, so it was a slow climb towards Lea Cross and up to Arscott, before an enjoyable wind assisted section back through Annscroft and Hook-a-gate, to Meole Brace. I risked trying the underpass, with the River now back to normal levels, but it’s only just passable, with a narrow path cleared through the mud and debris, which must be a couple of feet deep!!

Nice to get back to longer rides again, with 32.8 miles clocked at 11.7mph avg.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I did a 30 mile loop this afternoon to complete my annual mileage target of 3500 miles :okay: I have been very sedentary in the last few months so my legs are really feeling the 121 miles I've ridden this week :laugh:

A nice route out in to the Suffolk countryside through some very pleasant villages. I passed by Wattisham airfield but there was minimal activity today, quite often there are Apache helicopters whizzing around nearby but it was quiet.

I stopped for a quick photo op at Buxhall, a spot I have several photos of now over the past few years :laugh: Stopping here has nothing to do with it being at the top of a steep hill, honest :whistle:

This was my first ride out on new tyres, Schwalbe Durano RaceGuards. A friend recommended them to me and I have to say I was quite impressed with the wet weather grip they offer 👍 All in all a very pleasant ride ^_^

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Another Metric Century-a-Month Challenge completed today, making it 60 months in a row for me. Rode 114.6km (71.2 miles) from Tewkesbury to Monmouth and back, taking in bits of the Forest of Dean and a 5 mile stretch of old railway path along the banks of the Wye in each direction between Symonds Yat and Monmouth.
495766 495768 495767

495769 495770
Just about dipped our toes into Wales today, crossing the Wye again at Monmouth and heading straight for the Wetherspoons. I had a plate of chips Belgian style (with mayonnaise ..... controversial?) and a pint. That, and my mate Paul's endless patience and encouragement, got me back to Tewkesbury just five minutes slower than last year. Not bad, considering I'm a year older now, and we spent ten minutes tightening up my rear brake cable after I descended one hill at 10 mph with my brakes locked on as hard as I could pull!
Only one moron driver today, close passing both of us in a Ford Ranger into oncoming traffic and leaving less that a foot of clearance. Couldn't complain about the weather though. Blue skies all day (until it went dark and we finished with lights on). Headwind for the first 35.5 miles and a welcome tailwind for the return leg.
Just over 70 more miles needed to hit my 3,000 mile target for the year now. Another great year of cycling.
Cheers, Donger.

Top Bottom