Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Another 25.3 miles for me today. Met up with @Dark46 for a blustery ride down the lanes. Quite hard going into the wind. Fortunately the roads were OK though. The only visible floods were on the opposite bank of the Severn near Stonebench, where the fields looked like a lake. When we got to Saul we hung a right to loop around along the Severn at Priding and through Fretherne and Frampton before turning into the canal side cafe at Saul Marina. There I shamelessly blagged a coffee and a bacon butty off @Dark46 (thanks, buddy) before heading back to Quedgeley together .... with the benefit of a powerful tailwind. Another nice ride in good company, proving once again that it's always worth the effort of getting out there, even when the weather isn't so great.
Cheers, Donger.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
A wind blown 40 miler under grey skies this afternoon. We've not had anywhere near the level of rain that the west has has so I was hoping the roads would be dry - not a chance as what we've had just isn't draining away and Sunday is now going to be a bike cleaning day again.

Out the usual Falkenham & Kirton way, then straight(ish) through to Waldringfield, back down again to Brightwell for a quick snap for the church thread on the photo section,
St. John the Baptist, Brightwell (2).JPG

Up to Martlesham, down to Foxhall and back up again to Rushmere and Westerfield and down yet again through the outskirts of Ipswich and on to Nacton - hoping to keep the time spent battling the headwind to a minimum. A quick stop at Nacton foreshore for another pic
Nacton Foreshore.JPG

and then the final run for home.
https://www.strava.com/activities/3119561505
Screenshot_2020-02-21 More effing wind Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2020-02-21 More effing wind Ride Strava(1).png

A tad more benign today than previous weekends ^_^
Wish the breeze was a bit less er, breezy, but at least not too cold. In fact positively springlike as I rode across Hawarden Bridge this morning.

Eery art deco factory, unused for many years inspired the B&W pics.

I usually head back along the north bank of the Dee, but pressed on south for a few miles.

Interesting riding last few weeks, on the plus side, not icy and freezing cold so it has been nice getting out.
22 miles today, few tweaks needed to bike later, including firmer spring in headshock suspension, and 32c Conti's going on for better speed on roads.

Old jon

Guru
It was windy out there. Where I live is a bit sheltered, most days the breeze does not even ripple the water in the birdbath. The birds could have surfed in there this morning.

But I wanted a ride, so wheeled out the geared bike yet again, made a couple of little adjustments and pedalled off towards Holbeck and Office Lock. The intention was to ride to Otley, possibly via Farnley. Off the towpath at Viaduct Road, drop to Kirkstall Road and start the three miles of mostly up to Lawnswood. Just past the playing field entrance there was a bunch of cyclists, on the pavement, likely waiting for the final club member to turn up. I was not that person.

Further on, the wind was a blessed nuisance, other B words are available. The road bends to the left, more of a headwind but there were still gusts from different directions. By the time the Bramhope roundabout was in sight, I had had enough. Turn right to ride up Kings Road and at the end turn right again. A large scale U turn around Golden Acre Park. Drop down the hill, the trees moderating the wind a bit, the take the next two left turns onto Eccup Lane.

The road leads to the reservoir, the dam end of it. And it was well windy there. Keep going, and reach the A61 and turn right. Smack into a wind so strong I could barely pedal. Yeah, I have gears and used them, all the low ones anyway. Rather happy I was pointing homewards, and the wind eased a bit. Rode along Harrogate Road as far as the junction with Street Lane, which I followed past the big gates at Roundhay Park and on to the clock at Oakwood.

It is downhill from there to what was once the Fforde Grene pub, they used to have some good bands there at one time. Things change. More down to the town centre, aim for Crown Point to go back across the river. Not far to home now, still being knocked about by the wind. Front door in view and the grin was for the end of 21 difficult miles. But oddly enjoyable once they were finished.

A wind free map,

22022020.jpg

13 rider

Guru
Today was my last chance to get an Imperial ton in for the monthly challenge with the wind forecast a Leicester to Lincoln ride was my choice making use of a tailwind . The problem Leicester to Lincoln isn't a 100 miles apart so had to add a loop in which meant headwind sections . Out the door at 0630 into blustery conditions took the Defy as the TCR gas deep section wheels which would be a handful today . Took the route up the Wreake valley then the quiet lanes skirting Melton which are constantly rolling but mainly a tailwind was aiding progress . The first 45 mile's out to Castle Bytham were quickly eaten up thanks to the tailwind . This put me on an 180 degree loop to my cafe stop . As I turned more into the wind my progress slowed dramaticly at points I was down to 10 mph and the crosswinds were interesting to say the least !!. Made the cafe which was a welcome sight .Refueled I set off for another 5 miles if brutal headwind then finally turned north to Lincoln so now had cross tail wind . As the wind picked up the crosswinds got worst and gaps in hedges were met with a side swipe of wind . Finally turned East and I was flying Into Sleaford I was doing 26mph on the flats . The route then went back North west so headwind for some of it . At 75 miles saw a group of cyclists heading the other way the first I'd seen so I wasn't the only nutter out there . The last five miles were again into the wind and were hard work . Got to Lincoln station on 99.8 miles so a few loops of the car park were required to make the distance ,finished on 100.2 miles in 6.17.13 and I seem to have found the hillest route to Lincoln as I did 5610ft of upness of which half of it was in a supposedly flat Lincolnshire. No big hills just constant rolling terrain . A tough old day out there but target achieved thankfully

Mrs M

Guru
A couple of rides today, both to see what the rising river levels caused by Storm Dennis were doing to Shrewsbury.

For the first I headed out about mid morning and did a bit of a tour round town before heading out to Upton Magna, Atcham, the long way round to Cross Houses then Berrington and home via Condover.

I headed into Coleham to start with where the road into the town centre was blocked by the flood barriers having been put up. Despite several signs warning that the road was closed there were still a few drivers arriving and looking surprised that the road was closed.:rolleyes: There was water out on the road here which I haven't seen in a while.

I headed into the town centre next via Greyfriars Bridge and found quite a spectacle with the level being so high. Probably best if I let the photos do the talking rather than trying to describe it all.

Having done my tour I headed out of town past the Prison and into Castlefields where my usual route along Sydney Avenue is blocked and so was the underpass that I usually use to connect to the old canal path. En route to Upton Magna I encountered a flood in a place I haven't seen it before (and was difficult to judge how deep it was) and one by Attingham Park which has been there a while wbut was deeper than before which slowed the traffic down a bit.

At Atcham I unexpectedly met up with my parents who had decided to have a look at theview from the old bridge while they were passing. The Atcham to Cross Houses road is always one of the first to flood so no surprise that it was well underwater so I needed to head up the road a bit and take another lane to cut across - this one had an unexpected flood too which looked deeper than I'd like so with a bit of a struggle I got past on a very squelchy verge.

I went out of my way to Cross Houses to see what the other end of the road was like and had a worrying moment when I thought the lorry coming up fast behind me with not enough room to overtake wasn't going to stop. It did but it was very close (timber waggon - they have a bit of a reputation I believe).

The rest of the trip was a lot less eventful but was mostly into a strong headwind so a bit of an effort. I had the legs cramp up towards the end which surprised me on a fairly short ride.

23.8 miles at 10.3 mph average.

View attachment 505019
Coleham Head.

View attachment 505020
St. Julians Friars. The council had warned they expected this car park to flood well in advance so not sure if people didn't believe them? The Fiat nearest had gone when I went back later.

View attachment 505021
Not much chance of oncoming cyclists today.

View attachment 505022
View across The Quarry.

View attachment 505023
At Victoria Quay the water is encroaching but deliveries still have to be made.

View attachment 505024
Flood barrier built to full height. They don't do that every time.

View attachment 505025
Roushill: the water is sneaking up through the drains. This will be flooded if the river keeps rising.

View attachment 505026
Castle Walk footbridge. I think that might be somebody's decking.

View attachment 505027
Sydney Avenue.

View attachment 505028
Later on near Cronkhill.
A like for your ride but not for the flooding

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Needed some fresh air and, boy was it fresh? It was blowing well out there. This bug comes and goes so I sneaked this one in while it wasn't looking. I thought I'd take an old circuit on but I decided to loop down to Lulsley as that bit of road is often neglected. When I got to The White House I decided to add a bit more so went by Suckley Knowle and on to Stanford Bishop. It was blowing well up there. Down in the Frome valley I had to climb out over Acton Green before the run aling the Leigh Brook and the usual dodge around Malvern. Not an easy ride but I'm amazed how early the primroses, blackthorn and cherry are in flower. 36 smiles

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Having popped into Felixstowe this morning, the weather didn't seem too bad so I thought I'd get in another quick ride so that tomorrow can be spent bike cleaning & doing domestics and having a rest prior to battling the breeze on the commute again.

I decided to do a regular anti-clockwise loop out to Westerfield, but as soon as I got to Falkenham, looked up and saw a buzzard being blown all over the place instead of doing its usual gracefull wheeling glide I realised that this was going to be fun - the wind was much stronger than yesterday. Despite this I persevered with the ride with the aid of some very sweary language heading directly into the wind along the Playford Road and finished up with another 33.5 miles.
https://www.strava.com/activities/3122607026

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
The clouds parted at lunchtime, so Mrs Tuesday and I took the tandem out for a spin. Ride somewhat curtailed by floods, including pictured here, on the aptly named "Noah's Ark Lane".

Spent the rest of the ride scouring the heavens for doves bearing olive branches, but only an acrobatic buzzard to be seen.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Another 32.5 miles for me today. Took one look out of the window at 7.30am and was put off doing the club ride (if indeed there was one) by the sight of my palm tree looking like it was doing semaphore. No way was I going out in that wind. Birds were flying backwards. Thankfully the wind dropped by lunchtime, so I was able to do an extended variant of my bread and butter ride around the lanes to Arlingham and Frampton.

The floods were still there on the opposite bank of the Severn at Stonebench, but the roads on my side of the river were mostly dry. Quite an uneventful ride, notable only for the fact that I seemed to be the only cyclist wearing shorts today. Got some funny looks. Kept on target for my usual yearly mileage, which requires 250 miles per month. It hasn't been the coldest of winters, but with all the storms and floods and windy weather, I have to say it has sometimes been tough finding the motivation to get out there. Glad I did finally manage to today.
Cheers, Donger.

Top Bottom