Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

footloose crow

Über Member
23 Feb Sunday afternoon spin and some philosophy

I used to think I was immortal until I met an oncologist. Thereafter I thought every day was a precious jewel to be spent wisely and mindfully. Well that didn't last. Today I decided that immortality might be a bit boring. Stay with me on this. If you have an eternity of tomorrows, would you ever do anything? Or would you wait until the day was more perfect, the wind even gentler and going your way, dappled sunshine, a smoothly ironed road, a mysterious affliction to all internal combustion engines, tea shops every ten miles? I know that living by a surf beach, I surf less often than I did when it was a drive to get there because I keep waiting for better conditions, smoother waves, fewer people, warmer seas. I think immortality might be boring but remind me I said that next time I meet an oncologist.

An immortal cyclist would not have gone out at anytime this month. And I haven't been out enough either. So this afternoon I have left my elderly father (we are doing respite care) with Madame Crow for an hour and gone out. It has stopped raining and the wind has dropped and although it is grey and near the end of a lazy Sunday afternoon, I have a need for the bike.

Would I want to be immortal? And why don't I do this more often? These are the thoughts that run through my mind. Along with 'haven't these hills got a bit steeper?' and 'Am I always so breathless?'. I feel slow and fat. Old and tired. I am lifted by all the signs that Spring is coming. Camellias flowering. Daffodils in profusion. Wild garlic and penny wort running riot in the granite walled field edges. Then I worry that sporadic cycling for the last eight weeks between illness, holidays and family stuff means I am too unfit, legs puffy and weak, lungs shrunken and leaking like punctured bellows. I feel fraudulent wearing lycra, unworthy of being considered a regular cyclist, just a poseur.

The back lanes north of Truro have been hammered by the storms this winter. Debris fans of gravel, grit and mud cover the road. Streams are still running off the fields, brown, swiftly flowing downhill to flood the boggy valley bottoms. I splash through them and realise how impossible these roads would have been a few days ago.

I said I would only be out for an hour. I need to turn back now and find my way back into Truro. Faster roads here, more traffic. I have read in cycling magazines of reviewers describing how the bike they are testing 'spins along at 30 mph'. I want a bike like that. My bike spins along at 15mph unless I am going downhill and then I brake. Maybe it's just me? I try and try and although the road is what passes for flat in Cornwall, I can't hold it above 20mph for any length of time and that hurts. It is not to be immortal that I want, just to be that sprinter that wins the hilliest stage of the Tour de France, that leaves the peloton behind on the Paris-Roubaix, that sets a new Strava record on the Ventoux. I need a thigh and lung transplant.

Through Sunday evening quiet Truro and the lights stay green all the way. I am invincible. I am the greatest. I am on a hill.....oh dear, down through the gears and spin. The speed drops as the gradient climbs until both figures meet at eight. Eight mph. 8%. I have gone too fast lower down the hill and now I am in lactic purgatory until I have paid for the sin of pride.

Home. Madame is cool. My father wants to know where I have been. I am fourteen again, accounting for my absence to him. But I want to share with you that on that final hill.....new best time on Strava! I am now 1729 out of 4264. I guess that means that I won't be on the Tour this summer?

Screenshot 2020-02-23 at 18.30.48.png

13 rider

Guru

I used to think I was immortal until I met an oncologist. Thereafter I thought every day was a precious jewel to be spent wisely and mindfully. Well that didn't last. Today I decided that immortality might be a bit boring. Stay with me on this. If you have an eternity of tomorrows, would you ever do anything? Or would you wait until the day was more perfect, the wind even gentler and going your way, dappled sunshine, a smoothly ironed road, a mysterious affliction to all internal combustion engines, tea shops every ten miles? I know that living by a surf beach, I surf less often than I did when it was a drive to get there because I keep waiting for better conditions, smoother waves, fewer people, warmer seas. I think immortality might be boring but remind me I said that next time I meet an oncologist.

An immortal cyclist would not have gone out at anytime this month. And I haven't been out enough either. So this afternoon I have left my elderly father (we are doing respite care) with Madame Crow for an hour and gone out. It has stopped raining and the wind has dropped and although it is grey and near the end of a lazy Sunday afternoon, I have a need for the bike.

Would I want to be immortal? And why don't I do this more often? These are the thoughts that run through my mind. Along with 'haven't these hills got a bit steeper?' and 'Am I always so breathless?'. I feel slow and fat. Old and tired. I am lifted by all the signs that Spring is coming. Camellias flowering. Daffodils in profusion. Wild garlic and penny wort running riot in the granite walled field edges. Then I worry that sporadic cycling for the last eight weeks between illness, holidays and family stuff means I am too unfit, legs puffy and weak, lungs shrunken and leaking like punctured bellows. I feel fraudulent wearing lycra, unworthy of being considered a regular cyclist, just a poseur.

View attachment 505766

The back lanes north of Truro have been hammered by the storms this winter. Debris fans of gravel, grit and mud cover the road. Streams are still running off the fields, brown, swiftly flowing downhill to flood the boggy valley bottoms. I splash through them and realise how impossible these roads would have been a few days ago.

View attachment 505768

I said I would only be out for an hour. I need to turn back now and find my way back into Truro. Faster roads here, more traffic. I have read in cycling magazines of reviewers describing how the bike they are testing 'spins along at 30 mph'. I want a bike like that. My bike spins along at 15mph unless I am going downhill and then I brake. Maybe it's just me? I try and try and although the road is what passes for flat in Cornwall, I can't hold it above 20mph for any length of time and that hurts. It is not to be immortal that I want, just to be that sprinter that wins the hilliest stage of the Tour de France, that leaves the peloton behind on the Paris-Roubaix, that sets a new Strava record on the Ventoux. I need a thigh and lung transplant.

Through Sunday evening quiet Truro and the lights stay green all the way. I am invincible. I am the greatest. I am on a hill.....oh dear, down through the gears and spin. The speed drops as the gradient climbs until both figures meet at eight. Eight mph. 8%. I have gone too fast lower down the hill and now I am in lactic purgatory until I have paid for the sin of pride.

Home. Madame is cool. My father wants to know where I have been. I am fourteen again, accounting for my absence to him. But I want to share with you that on that final hill.....new best time on Strava! I am now 1729 out of 4264. I guess that means that I won't be on the Tour this summer?

View attachment 505771
I call it a draw your quicker than me on escape from Truro but I'm quicker on St Clements.I not at all competitive but I'm coming back in July and now have a segment to target

AndreaJ

Veteran
Another cold, wet and windy day although not as windy as it had been but I decided to go out anyway convincing myself that as the field wasn’t flooded the lanes wouldn’t be either, it didn’t take long before I discovered this wasn’t quite true. I started off to Whixall and soon found the huge, deep and cold flood was back just past the school, carried on now with wet feet to turn to Fenns Wood, Fenns Bank, Blackloe, Alkington, Tilstock, back to Whixall, Coton, Poolhead, Creamore, Horton avoiding the flood there by taking a detour to the Ellesmere road, past the flood at Horton where a man with a tanker was pumping the water out of the house on the corner again, Loppington, Lyneal, Welshampton, Hampton Bank, Bettisfield, Northwood and home. The rain did stop about halfway round and the sun actually made a brief appearance but the wind was still enough to make it hard work. 33.31miles @14.5mph. All the lanes are flooded in places now although most weren’t very deep, I don’t actually mind riding in the rain that much but I am fed up with the wind now and not keen on splashing through huge puddles. There were lot’s of other cyclists out today, more than I normally see so it’s nice to see that I’m not the only person crazy enough to go out in this weather despite what my friends and family tell me.

View attachment 505766

View attachment 505768

View attachment 505771
An excellent read again. I know what you mean about the thigh transplant, just my left one.

The wind was`nt too bad this morning and it was dry after the over night rain. I left it until late morning before venturing out. That was a mistake. There is an adage about don`t put off until tomorrow what you can do today. I will tweek that a bit as in don`t put off your ride to later if you can do it now. It had just started to rain as I went out the door and I thought that it would blow over, well it should in the wind. Before I got to the bottom of the road it was lashing down, horizontal in fact. I said to myself that I must be mad, I was but then in need of a ride. I got to about a mile and turned around, I was soaked so returned home. I don`t mind being out and getting caught in the rain but starting out .....
After lunch the sky had cleared but the wind had increased but I thought lets go for it as more rain is forecast tomorrow. Sure enough it was windy and perhaps did`nt choose the best of routes, the wind direction being mainly from the side (NW) mad it harder to keep straight line. I just did a usual route to Cotton on the main road and came back via Mendlesham and Mendlesham Green and Stowupland. There was quite a bit of water about but nothing major. The wind eased a little by the time I got back. In total today 22.4 miles at 16.3mph average which considering the wind speed of 28mph with 40 gusts was`nt that bad. I`d love to take the carbon bike out but that is not as stable in these winds. I felt a lot better for getting that ride in.

tyred

Legendary Member
Longest ride of the year so far - 52.19 miles. :bicycle: Horrendous headwinds in places - struggled to maintain 5mph on the flat at times, :ohmy: often very cold, I guess because the wind is blowing across snow-covered peaks. :cold: A few hail shotgun pellet showers mean my face is probably pock-marked. :cursing:
49576088817_ee42843367_o.jpg

Well New Years plans till going ahead . We decided at Xmas to make a plan of trying to cycle everything less than 4 miles where possible, 23 rd March and still mnaged everything and really enjoying it.Surpising how much we used the Car or Van for short Journeys. 14lbs in Lard has dissapered to, so healthier Year a head hopefully.
I hate to tell you but we are still in February !

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
A 200 k audax event from Cranbrook, near Exeter today. Horribly hilly, horrible headwind for the first part. Some rain early on, but that died out. 12hrs on the road. I'm knackered. Thoroughly enjoyable.

A tad more benign today than previous weekends ^_^
Wish the breeze was a bit less er, breezy, but at least not too cold. In fact positively springlike as I rode across Hawarden Bridge this morning.
View attachment 505568
Eery art deco factory, unused for many years inspired the B&W pics.
View attachment 505569
I usually head back along the north bank of the Dee, but pressed on south for a few miles.
View attachment 505570
Interesting riding last few weeks, on the plus side, not icy and freezing cold so it has been nice getting out.
22 miles today, few tweaks needed to bike later, including firmer spring in headshock suspension, and 32c Conti's going on for better speed on roads.
By way of a postscript, there is a project underway to save this building, the John Summers Steelworks HQ, built in 1907, with the Victorian Society leading the way. They may need to raise a few bob ....

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Today I had a visit to make in Worcester. So, of course, I had to turn it into a ride. My usual dodge at Bransford didn't work as the lane was flooded. The Teme is still very high. Plenty of water was on the roads on the way to Wichenford but no show stoppers if you don't mind damp feet. The crossing of the Severn at Holt revealed that my usual lane would be flooded so I climbed out for the alternative. Then I took the wrong lane. No worries tho' as I came out at Ombersley and an easy correction to put me back on route. Rounding by Hadley my rear tyre went down. While I was sorting it two drivers asked if I was OK. It was school run time as I went by Claines. One school mum sorted me out with the correct street where Martin S lives. I picked up the shirt he was keeping for me, had a cuppa and a chat. Time to go I headed back through town. Powick roundabout isn't too bad at the moment as traffic has been calmed by the roadworks. Just a bit more headwind to get me back to complete a ride with a difference or three. 40 smiles

C R

Guru
I was starting to fear that I wouldn't be able to get a ride for the 50km a month challenge, with yesterday being my last chance this month. In the morning the wind was very loud against our window, and I resigned myself to forfeiting the chance. Luckily the weather improved, and after lunch Mrs CR shooed me out of the door.

It was still quite blowy, but not as bad as it had been in the morning, and it was sunny and not too cold. I chose a route I expected to be free of flooding, though it would mean riding into the wind in some of the sections.

Down past the garden centre to Kempsey, and the A38, then Kerswell Green, Kinnersley and Earls Croome and a left for Defford. I had the wind mostly side and behind, with some sudden gusts that were pushing me around a bit, but made it to the turn for Eckington without issues.

The bridge was open, and I turned into the picnic area for a rest and some photos. The river is as high as I have ever seen it, and the ground still quite soft from the floods. But the sun was out, the temperature was reasonable, and there were some interesting cloud formations to admire.

IMG_20200223_142509105.jpg

IMG_20200223_142838664.jpg

Rest and photos taken the next destination was Eckington and then the Combertons, which came quick with the help of the wind.

After that Pershore, where a dozy driver coming out of my left from a side road nearly took me out, and reminded me why I ride early in the morning with fewer cars on the road.

Anyhow, I was ok, and wasn't going to let an idiot ruin my ride. Next destination was Pinvin, and then Drakes Broughton, now the wind was mostly against me, and it was getting hard work in places. I just took it easy and spun a smaller gear, getting through Wadborough and Littleworth quite a bit slower than usual.

Quite an enjoyable ride overall after almost a month of only commuting.

The map

IMG_20200224_201047.jpg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I’m getting thoroughly and abjectly pissed off with all the wind and rain, it’s no wonder folks just jump into cars for short journeys when the weather is wet and windy. I could’ve driven to the destination and back by the time I put my waterproofs on. Anyway I popped to the post office again in horrible weather, strong side winds, rain there and back, couldn’t be bothered to extend the journey. 4.25 miles.

C R

Guru
I’m getting thoroughly and abjectly pissed off with all the wind and rain, it’s no wonder folks just jump into cars for short journeys when the weather is wet and windy. I could’ve driven to the destination and back by the time I put my waterproofs on. Anyway I popped to the post office again in horrible weather, strong side winds, rain there and back, couldn’t be bothered to extend the journey. 4.25 miles.
Today I was having to lean against the wind just to be able to ride straight. :eek:

Top Bottom