Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I had a couple of targets in mind today ... 250 miles for the month, and 500 for the year so far. Ended up riding 40.5 miles, getting me beyond both of those targets. It was one of those rides where you just don't want it to stop. Lovely dry roads, a moderate breeze, slightly chilly but sunny and not much traffic about. I took the chance to amble around at a comfortable speed, taking every little side road that I usually ignore. I started by riding along the riverbank at Stonebench. The Severn was high, but within its banks. The recent floods on the opposite bank had not receded though.

After Saul junction, I headed off for Whitminster and Eastington, taking in detours in Nupend and Westend on the way. Then off to Slimbridge, taking in every little back lane I could. Turned around at the Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust, regretting not having my membership card on me .... otherwise I could have called in on the otters. Always a favourite pastime of mine.

The WWT is set in the wetlands between the River Severn and the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal and is approached by a long, flat, straight road that is lined with daffodils that will soon be in bloom. Should be quite a sight. To either side are soggy fields full of Canada and greylag geese:

I almost stopped off at the Black Shed when I got back to the canal.

It is a regular coffee and cake stop on our club rides, and I was tempted to call in for a bacon butty or a mug of soup. Thought better of it as there weren't too many hours of daylight left, so I rode back through Slimbridge village and out to Gossington, where I turned for home. To make sure I hit 40 miles for the day, I nipped along the village green in Frampton on Severn:

Bombed it back home to get back without needing lights. Bang on target now. Not bad going, given the weather in Gloucestershire this month .... two storms, two floods and an almost unending spell of rainy, windy weather that has cancelled all our club rides this month. Looking forward to Spring now.
Cheers, Donger.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Billy no mates today. Shame as it was breezy but nevertheless very pleasant. I opted for the run out by Hillend to see Longdon Marsh well.under water. I then took to higher ground by Redmarley and Brand Green. Traffic was being diverted along the lane at Highleadon which is usually a sign that the road is flooded at Maisemore. I climbed to Woolridge to view a vast expanse of flooding almost to the horizon. I didn't take my usual approach to the Hams as that was impassible except by boat. Instead Wickridge Street kept me high so that I could approach Chaceley from Corse Lawn. No go at Chaceley. This flooding event is one of the very highest. So I went around by Forthampton to view things at Chaceley Church. It's as high as it's ever been with parts of the graveyard under. Retracing I avoided the school as that would be flooded too. Indeed the stream which flows that way is crossed below Longdon and is flooded too. The headwind was a slight hindrance on the last miles but no more water thankfully. 55 smiles

1582744104134.png

1582744149699.png

Kryton521

Über Member
Cold, but sunny, acceptable wind. Still strong enough to push me off to one side or the other, and make the journey home into a real hard effort workout. Which I needed but didn't want!

Sorry, didn't stop to take pic's of the sun shining on the Bristol channel, take my word for it. Lovely view today! :laugh:

After this mornings sleet and cold an oportunity opened up as the sun came out after lunch and as sure as eggs as eggs so did the wind pick up. This morning was so calm, why can`t it be calm when we go out on our bikes of late ?
The temperature had gone up to 40oF but I thought it would feel perishing so donned an extra layer. Six miles into the ride I had to stop to take the extra layer off and stuff it into a back pocket. The ride out to Finningham was into the wind so I thought at least I`d have a tail wind back which I did but must have been slower than I thought out, into a 21mph wind. My fitness should be getting better but I just seem to be getting slower. I look for any excuse but just think it is age. My left leg always seemed to get fatigued quite easily. I
The sun stayed out for most of the 23.8 mile ride and it felt almost pleasant in the sunshine. Todays ride brought up the total to 619.8 for the year so far so quite pleased. As the forecast is not good for the next two days I doubt that I will be out again until Sunday at the earliest. Still, I feel lucky that I have been out where a lot have not been able to. Surely the weather will get better soon so I can take out the summer bike which is very much feeling neglected. Roll the warm weather on.

Last edited:

C R

Guru
I ain’t, my bike will get dirty.
You jest, but I was hoping to try my new bike this Sunday. Looking at the forecast, though, it will be the old one taking me around.

gavgav

Guru
After near enough a month without a ride, due to other plans and the horrific floods and weather that have struck Shrewsbury, I finally managed to get out and complete my half century challenge ride, in the nick of time, today, whilst on holiday in the Lake District.

We drove to Grizedale visitor centre and hired some Hardtail Mountain Bikes, setting off in lovely sunshine, but with a blustery and bitterly cold wind blowing.

First off was some forest trail riding, with a good deal of uphill, through Grizedale forest, with some stunning views of the snow capped Cumbrian mountains.

412D22CA-6436-4916-AABD-F0647503BEBB.jpeg

FC54A59E-E1F9-4EBA-9B01-F020621AE7F0.jpeg

We arrived at High Cross, where it was out onto the roads and down Hawkshead Hill, but with the wind blowing it needed pedalling even downhill! We branched off and along the Eastern side of Coniston Lake, with the very wet roads highlighting the downside of the Mountain Bikes......no mudguards and I was already soaked on the rear end and had a face splattered with mud and water.

We made decent progress along there and then began the steeper climbing up to Spark Bridge, before pausing for lunch in a small lay-by.
@rickshawphil making progress
CF896C6D-5FC3-4FC0-A32D-2093BB3A98DF.jpeg

It began to rain lightly, here and so I donned a waterproof top, which would come in useful later in the ride! There was some nice downhill to Newby Bridge, where we paused for some photos. This time last year, @Rickshaw Phil and I had sat outside the hotel, there, in unbelievable 23c temperatures, enjoying a pint, but today it was about 3c and so there was none of that this time!
80A4E449-0BB0-45D7-ADEA-EF240CF09F2E.jpeg

C31FD988-273B-43CE-9021-71B2251031C6.jpeg

We set off again and began the long drag up to Graythwaite, with a brief stop at Lakeside, for some more photos
FE115BF6-E02B-45C1-A2BB-30AB1829C865.jpeg

I was starting to feel the legs, by Graythwaite and we then turned off and began the stinker of a climb up the side of the estate, before a welcome long descent towards the bottom end of Grizedale Forest. Just as we reached the bottom end of the descent, it began to hail and got heavier and heavier, to the point it was seriously hurting!

We had to pause, for a few minutes, but we were thoroughly soaked and cold, the roads were covered in crunchy hail and the climb back up through Satterthwaite and back to the visitor centre was a long old struggle.

As we reached the centre, I checked the mileage and was about 1/2 a mile short of 50k and so had to carry on up the hill to Kennels car park, then back down to finish the half century challenge.

We dropped the bikes off and then changed into some dry clothing, feeling frozen to the bone, but accomplished.

31.6 miles with 2968 ft of climbing.

Hey guys looks like another chuffing storm for the weekend! I'm going out regardless.

Day-off today, & tomorrow
Heading out for a brief ride later this AM, to look at the states of the (Rivers) Calder & Aire towards Castleford
Also whether (& I assume it is?) Barnsdale Road is reopen (A656; Castleford - Aberford)
I doubt its equally water-logged neighbour Newton Lane will be though?

Tomorrow?
Probably a ParkRun in the morning (if I do, it'll be Pontefract)
Then, as for the rest of the morning/afternoon???
No idea, yet

Day-off today, & tomorrow
Heading out for a brief ride later this AM, to look at the states of the (Rivers) Calder & Aire towards Castleford
Also whether (& I assume it is?) Barnsdale Road is reopen (A656; Castleford - Aberford)
I doubt its equally water-logged neighbour Newton Lane will be though?
Barnsdale Road was open, but with a few cordoned off areas at the sides, where waters had scoured under the pavement or removed hedgerows

Newton Lane, being slightly lower lying was still closed, with maybe 2foot or water, going by the ARMCO

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/667393

So was was Mill Lane, but with less depth

The flooded section is the distance, in this Geograph photo; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1797172

By the time I got back home, I wasn't sure if my toes were still attached, as they were numb:okay:
I didn't even know if that was due to coldness, or being wet
Once home, removal of Sidis confirmed said eppendages continued to be part of me
Even if they mainly were a nice shade of white:laugh:

Barnsdale Road was open, but with a few cordoned off areas at the sides, where waters had scoured under the pavement or removed hedgerows

Newton Lane, being slightly lower lying was still closed, with maybe 2foot or water, going by the ARMCO
View attachment 506328
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/667393

So was was Mill Lane, but with less depth

View attachment 506327

The flooded section is the distance, in this Geograph photo; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1797172

By the time I got back home, I wasn't sure if my toes were still attached, as they were numb:okay:
I didn't even know if that was due to coldness, or being wet
Once home, removal of Sidis confirmed said eppendages continued to be part of me
Even if they mainly were a nice shade of white:laugh:
My cat has advised me not to get my new Sidi's dirty this weekend :laugh:

Top Bottom