Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
A wee 4 hour “toddle” today :ohmy:
After a healthy protein, fibre and vegetable breakfast :angel: :dry:
Well last nights takeaway leftovers :eek: :blush: had a wee swim, footered about a fair bit then set off :smile:
Knew roughly where I was going, off-road to Papagayo beach.
Zoomed along the cycle paths then started over the rough stuff which seemed never ending :laugh:
Worth the effort. Think there’s 5 beeches and I chose the second one, thankfully as food and drinks for sale there and I was able to get a small cold beer as a reward for my efforts :cheers:
Went down a treat.
Took the bike down towards the beech then went in for a paddle, just lovely. Not busy at all, did see a few nudies though :ohmy: Wish I’d brought a towel and cozzie for a swim, maybe next time.
Scenery was fabulous!

Well last nights takeaway leftovers :eek: :blush: had a wee swim, footered about a fair bit then set off :smile:
Zoomed along the cycle paths then started over the rough stuff which seemed never ending :laugh:
Worth the effort. Think there’s 5 beeches and I chose the second one, thankfully as food and drinks for sale there and I was able to get a small cold beer as a reward for my efforts :cheers:
Went down a treat.
Took the bike down towards the beech then went in for a paddle, just lovely. Not busy at all, did see a few nudies though :ohmy: Wish I’d brought a towel and cozzie for a swim, maybe next time.
Scenery was fabulous!

View attachment 506646

View attachment 506647

View attachment 506648

View attachment 506649

View attachment 506650

View attachment 506651
Wow! Been to Papagayo many times, its lovely, along with El Golfo, one of my favourite all time lunch spots. Hope you are having a great time :okay:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Better weather, new bike and a return to the scene of the crime.

The Fragrant MrsP wanted to to Oxford again today to the Nespresso shop, which is where we were on the 1st February when my Trek Madone was stolen.

A dry day, mostly bright and sunny but still quite strong wind and stronger gusts in places, I decided I’d go on my new Domane, the first time I’ve ridden this bike, so I was excited and apprehensive. Once all the checks were done we set of up the hill out of Upton to Rowstock along a bit of road the surface of which is feckin awful, but I was surprised to feel that on the new bike it wasn’t nearly so teeth shaking as it was on the Madone. Onwards through Steventon, Drayton, Abingdon, to Radley then along the newly surfaced path along the Thames into Oxford.

Once in the town centre I found myself a bit uneasy and checking all the cycle racks and looking out for folks watching us, all unfounded, we stopped for lunch, MrsP got her coffee, then we went to Botley, I noticed cycling around that the posters offering a reward for the return of my old bike were still up where we put them.

We stopped at Decathlon on the way home, we bought an under helmet hat ‘cos our heads were cold, we also met a very enthusiastic member of the cycle department staff who insisted that we brought our bikes inside, and was admiring our bikes and extolling the virtues of Trek Bikes in particular.

We then set off up Cumnor Hill, and back to Abingdon then home. The wind was challenging in places but an occasional tail wind was welcome too.

A nice afternoon out, my new bike is fab to ride and looks the bollix, and it was nice to be out when it isn’t raining.

34.46 of your imperial miles.

Mrs M

Guru

The Fragrant MrsP wanted to to Oxford again today to the Nespresso shop, which is where we were on the 1st February when my Trek Madone was stolen.

A dry day, mostly bright and sunny but still quite strong wind and stronger gusts in places, I decided I’d go on my new Domane, the first time I’ve ridden this bike, so I was excited and apprehensive. Once all the checks were done we set of up the hill out of Upton to Rowstock along a bit of road the surface of which is feckin awful, but I was surprised to feel that on the new bike it wasn’t nearly so teeth shaking as it was on the Madone. Onwards through Steventon, Drayton, Abingdon, to Radley then along the newly surfaced path along the Thames into Oxford.

Once in the town centre I found myself a bit uneasy and checking all the cycle racks and looking out for folks watching us, all unfounded, we stopped for lunch, MrsP got her coffee, then we went to Botley, I noticed cycling around that the posters offering a reward for the return of my old bike were still up where we put them.

We stopped at Decathlon on the way home, we bought an under helmet hat ‘cos our heads were cold, we also met a very enthusiastic member of the cycle department staff who insisted that we brought our bikes inside, and was admiring our bikes and extolling the virtues of Trek Bikes in particular.

We then set off up Cumnor Hill, and back to Abingdon then home. The wind was challenging in places but an occasional tail wind was welcome too.

A nice afternoon out, my new bike is fab to ride and looks the bollix, and it was nice to be out when it isn’t raining.

View attachment 506658

View attachment 506659
New bike is a stunner!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Went down a treat.
Scenery was fabulous!

View attachment 506646

View attachment 506647

View attachment 506648

View attachment 506649

View attachment 506650

View attachment 506651
gah !thats not a proper winter ride wheres the wind rain and floods? not jealous at all !:whistle:

C R

Guru
February was a bit of a panic to get a ride for the half century ride challenge what with the weather and family commitments. March is looking better, with a ride sorted today.

I finally took the plunge, and bought a drop bar bike, a Triban RC500, which arrived on Thursday, and was in the garage teasing me. The forecast was for clear skies, but cool and windy. I decided I would try the same loop as last week, with the new bike, hoping I could manage to keep it mostly dry.

Out at around 6:30, with almost daylight. Past the garden centre towards Kempsey via Brook End to get familiar with the new riding position and controls. The wind was mostly head on, which gave me a chance to try riding on the drops, boy, does it make a difference against the wind compared to the flatbar.

The steering of the new bike is lighter, and it takes a bit of concentration to forget the muscle memory of the positions of the brakes and shifting, but by the time I reached the A38 at Kempsey I was over my initial apprehension about riding a drop bar bike, and was changing positions without much bother.

Down through Kempsey, and then a left for Kerswell Green for Kinnersley and Earls Croome. And then a left for Defford, and finally a bit of not head wind all the way to the Eckington turn. At the turn there was a sign indicating that the road was closed, hoping that maybe I could get through on the bike I carried on, to be met by this

IMG_20200301_073224463_HDR.jpg

So, new route planned on the fly. Back to the Defford Rd, and then on to Pershore, looping around the town centre and then head to Pinvin and the Stratford Rd to add some miles. After Pinvin I thought I'd check the ford at Seaford. It was quite full, but the walkway was clear, so I picked up my bike to keep it off the mud, and walked to the other side of the flood.

IMG_20200301_080032894_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200301_080311688_HDR.jpg

After a bit of a rest here, the next destination was Naunton Beauchamp and then North Piddle. This route is a bit sheltered, so I had some respite from the wind.

The respite didn't last, though, and as I turned left onto the A422 the wind was blowing again. Past Upton Snoddsbury, and then a left for Peopleton, and now the wind was really blowing, as this lane is quite open. At least I now had the drops to help me against the wind, and made it to Peopleton quicker than I had expected.

After Peopleton over the A44 for Drakes Broughton, then Wadborough, Littleworth and home.

Despite the wind, this has been my fastest challenge ride so far, at 15.3mph, all to do with the new bike.

The map

IMG_20200301_205555.jpg

Oh, and I did manage to keep the bike mud free 😊

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
Yesterday’s ride was a last minute idea as storm Jorge seemed to have given up late afternoon so just a quick ride round local lanes of Whixall so I could head home if the wind started up again. It was a bit cold and the wind was starting to blow me across the road a bit so I decided to head back just in time for the rain/sleet and hail, didn’t get too wet as I wasn’t far from home. 18.99 miles @15.5mph.
Bright sunshine today and not raining when I left , still a bit too windy but went anyway to see how far I could stick it out for. It’s getting difficult to plan a route as so many lanes are flooded now and would rather be somewhere I know so I can find a detour round so set off to Whixall, Fenns Bank, Tilstock, headed to Prees through one flood which wasn’t too deep only to find a much bigger, deeper flood so turned back to the Whitchurch road to Coton, Stanley Green, Abbeygreen, Waterloo where the flood I had avoided the past 2 weeks was still there and deeper than it looked so got wet feet again, Edstaston, Creamore, Wem where I had to wait for the train to pass, Aston, Barkers Green where it was starting to get hard work into the wind, Tilley, Nonely, Myddle, where I saw 2 shell ducks on a flooded field, Burlton finally getting a bit of help from the wind through to Loppington, Wolverley and home. Had a mixture of bright sunshine, rain and hail and I have decided I hate the wind ! 34.33 miles @14.9mph and a 50 km challenge ride for March done😊

View attachment 506658

View attachment 506659
That does look a nice bike. Glad it is nice to ride after your recent loss.

Old jon

Guru
I wanted a ride this morning, the view out of the kitchen window showed a frozen birdbath, which sort of dented my desire a bit. Nah, it’s only cold, get pedalling!

Down the road, onto Jack Lane and the rain starts. But there was a rather pretty rainbow arching over the terracotta library building. To be accurate it was a library, then for a short while a bar and I am not sure what it is now. Except it is terracotta. Turn right by there, Water Lane is next and Great Wilson Street leads me on into Hunslet. The climb up to John o’ Gaunts also lifted me out of the rain, always cheers me, being dry. Drop down past Woodlesford station then turn left to ride under the railway lines.

Cross the Aire and Calder Canal, and before going over the river notice that rather a lot of it has escaped into the nearby fields. Other places have it much worse. The road then rises in two steps, and keeps rising gently all the way through Swillington. Not so gently that the legs don’t feel it though, I was riding the fixed today. Around the northern edge of Garforth when I decided it really was cold. Take the left turn for Barwick, and discover a side wind. This road is a bit up and down, then just up, turn left at the New Inn. Just a thought here. I have always navigated by pubs and pubs are vanishing. Second boot hits the floor, we all use satnav now. Hmpfffff!

Scholes is next, the road bends northward to cross what was once a railway line. Then reaches the A64, which was quiet this morning. Left, and soon right onto Thorner Lane. Another left to travel to the A58 which has the not so whizzz descent of Boot Hill, only 26 mph today. More downhill after passing the clock at Oakwood, to the edges of town, and cross the Aire again on Crown Point Bridge. Not far to home now, twenty four rather good miles done when I reached the door. Something to smile for.

Once again, the map . . .

02032020.jpg

13 rider

Guru
So today saw me reach 730 ( 2 years ) days consecutive days cycling the Beast from the east :cold:remember that last stopped me . A rare day off work had me planning a longer ride probably a metric century . Awoke at 0700 pulled the curtains back to a white over frost so back to bed not taking risks . Finally up at 0830 but put non cycling clothes on ,if I don't get up and go straight out after breakfast I can faff .So after much faffing and going over routes in my head trying to plan around all the floods not wanting to head on to unfamiliar roads not sure if they would be passable . Finally settled on my fall back 50 km loop to St Bernards Abbey . Finally out the door at 0930 the sunshine nice but it's still chilly . Pretty uneventful ride lots of water flowing off the fields had to do a quick detour in Shepherd as a road was closed due to building work . 31.7 miles in the bag less than I wanted but finding hard to keep battling the weather ,serious bored of this wind now !. Had to wash the bike again which is also getting boring can we have some dry roads please

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Another utility ride today, this time with The Fragrant MrsP, we stretched it out a bit, riding to Steventon, East Hanney, Frilford Heath to Abingdon where we stopped to do our errands and have a spot of lunch, then back home via Sutton Courtney, Appleford, Didcot Tesco because we forgot something (mushrooms if you must know) in Abingdon, then back home via the Hagbournes which was the only bit of headwind we had today.

It rained overnight again so the roads were a bit damp in places and one road was closed in Harwell village because of a flood where I had a bit of an argument with a lorry driver who past me on a junction but apart from that it was a nice ride. Cold but sunny day 27.87 miles.

Abandoned pub in Culham

This used to be The Fragrant MrsP's local, I've forgotten the name of it now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom