Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm lucky, mine are black CX shoes

View attachment 506341

Mindst you, compared to some CXs, I've competed in
After the 2008 http://www.bingleyharriers.co.uk/events/harriers-vs-cyclists/
View attachment 506339 View attachment 506340
I think there's still a pair of these somewhere in the house/shed/garage
Why can't Sidi produce a replica, but with the modern SPD sole?
View attachment 506338
Have you got 'pain in the arse breaking in' blues like me? My 18 yr old ones are like a comfy pair of slippers

@Grant Fondo

No, they've been fine since 'day 1' (August '18)

My previous commuter Sidi (CX) were a bit tight

As for my Genius 2, they're over20 years old, & still going great!!!

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Like everyone else we've had really high rainfall over the last week's and the river flowing by us has burst it's banks. It's only submerged the flood plain though and whilst it looks spectacular there's no danger of anything flooding. I decided today to head out along the river to the Hydro Electric plant to have a look at the flooding, not even too sure if I'd be able to get through, given the track runs along the edge of the flood plain. The start of the ride was on delightful singletrack through the forest, winding it's way through tightly packed stands of Scots Pine. Whilst the storms have abetted the wind was still strong and riding along in large clearings was hard work. Whilst the river was high and lapping up to the path at points, I had no dramas getting through.

At the hydro electric plant there was a team of engineers all looking quite concerned at all the large debris washed up against the large metal gates across the river.

The river downstream was boiling quite angrily and much higher than I'd seen before. I crossed the bridge at the plant and headed back through the muddy forest on the other side. The bike slipped and slided it's way through, the 38mm gravel tyres not really suited to churned up mud, there was a large grin on face as I fought for control and loved every minute of it.

I arrived home covered in mud after 25 enjoyable kilometres at an average speed of 18.5 km, not exactly fast, but it had been fun.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I thought I’d take a quick break in the foul weather to pop to the shops for a cows egg, getting there was fine but by the time I’d done my shopping it had started to rain. Back out into a headwind and halfway home across the old railway embankment I had horizontal hail, and breathtaking wind, I was glad to get to the village where the buildings broke the wind down a bit.

4.09 of the most horrid miles, my last ride of the month, not many long rides this month on account of my best bike being nicked, but I did more miles this February than last ( more than double) so I ain’t complaining.

Old jon

Guru
And it is raining! But it stopped in time, and stayed stopped. Which was good.

I have joined a cycling club. OK, not earth shattering news. I was searching Leeds bike charities ‘cos I have some bits to donate. Anyway, Leeds Cycling Campaign was one of the results, I read a bit about them and decided to join. They have one major difference from every other cycling club I have looked at.

So today I went on their easy ride, ended up doing twenty two miles, about half with the club. The meeting point today was by the posh gates at Roundhay Park, so after mooching through Holbeck I crossed the river at Crown Point and rode up to Oakwood and up a bit more to the park. A couple of riders were there, we introduced ourselves and I discovered my first blunder. I do not wear my hearing aids when riding and it never occurred to me to put them in this morning. Conversation was not easy, but I think I got away with it.

More riders arrived, and off we went. Quiet roads, for the most part, lined with houses. The Harrogate road was crossed at Alwoodley Gates, heading towards King Lane. There seemed to be the intention to ride down Stair Foot Lane, I just checked that and saw a bit of road I had forgotten about. Anyway, turned right instead of left, along past Five Lane Ends to the Arthington Road and then along the bridleway into Golden Acre Park. We reached the café there, second blunder time. I had a lock, and the key, and the cable. But with QR hubs . . .

So, I made my apologies and goodbyes and took the direct route home. With the thought in mind to ride the fixed next time. An interesting ride, good company and I hope I learned a bit. Grin for the blunders, who’s a fool?

A map, rain free,

29022020.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
John G was waiting in theGreen and we were underway immediately. Pete M and Margaret PR arrived at the Pot. I met and chatted with Mark R who was manning the Upton control for 2 Audaxes. Underway we took the reverse of a standard route to turn above Hatfield and head for the ford at Pinvin. The flooding had reached over the footbridge so we rode through with wet wheels. Unusually from here we turned for Pershore and coffee.
Back in the saddle the wind was strong but John wasn't feeling good. We took it gently for him going by Besford and Strensham. At Upton he decided to have a break and a bite to eat. Margaret headed home while Pete and I took to flood and traffic dodging to get us back to Malvern. We were almost finished when Pete's rear wheel threw a spoke. Some fettling in Pete's future I think. 43 smiles

Mr Celine

Discordian
What's the best thing to do with an extra day? That's right, go for a bike ride. :bicycle:
I've given up keeping track of storms but it looked like there was a small break in the weather this morning. I don't remember it raining yesterday or last night but it must have judging by the state of the rivers.
It was a bit cold to start with, my fingers were freezing despite wearing gloves and gel mits and the steep descent from Celine Towers induced an ice cream head. At least my feet were warm. Ten miles ploughing into a southwesterly headwind and my fingers and head were now warm, but my feet were frozen solid. First stop at Ettrickbridge to look at the river, in full spate.

Further up Ettrickdale a fair bit of flooding evident -

And further on there was a lovely view of Loch Ettrick. Hang on a minute, there isn't a Loch Ettrick. :wacko:

Fearing becoming submerged I turned right up the Berrybush climb. After 19 miles of headwind the hill seemed a relief and the summit even more so, as the road turns another 90 degrees and the wind becomes a tailwind. There was some snow at the summit but it was getting colder and the sky was looking a bit threatening so I didn't stop. I did have to ride through a short hail shower (ouch) on the way back. This was the longest ride I've done this year and the first proper ride for about three weeks. Knackered when I got home!!

The map -
1583003831137.png

43.7 miles @ 13.2 mph, 685m upness.

A bonus ride this month. A bonus in two ways, firstly because of it being the 29th Feb and secondly after the rain this morning I thought it was set in for the day like yesterday. I just wanted a 75 minute ride and took a usual route. One thing I will say is that although roads had dried quite well I saw flooding on some roads that I have not seen flooded before. The ditches are simply overflowing with run off from the fields. Compared with a lot of areas we have been lucky with flooding. The sun was out for most of the ride but at one time the sky became very foreboding and I thought that I would`nt get back without getting wet. However, the wind was just enough to take it away from me,phew ! So 20.4 miles at 16.6mph with yet another strong wind of 25mph. I keep picturing dear old Alistair Sim in the film School for Scroundrels where towards the end of the film Ian Carmichael gets the girl and the romantic music appears and Alistair Sim pipes up with " Stop that infernal noise", or words to the effect. With me it is " Stop that infernal wind".

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Three of us on the club ride today .... @KingswayRider, Alex the glaswegian and me. They moderated their pace a bit for me, but it was still an effort keeping up at times, particularly on the two climbs, though I guess that is good for me. A decent ride out to the farm shop cafe at Tortworth and back, spoiled only by a couple of cold showers and a brief hailstorm. When my bread pudding turned up at the cafe, it was the size of my barbag and dense as clay. Couldn't manage it all!

The moment of the day was seeing Alex have to slow down in front of me when descending through Elmore as a line of ducks waddled across the road slowly, claiming right of way. That's another 45.9 miles added to the total. The weather was just a bit too inclement for me to add another 17 to make it my metric century for March. That will have to wait.

Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Awoke to some sunshine :sun:for a change , obviously it's still windy we couldn't have perfect conditions could we .1st of the month time to bank a challenge ride, Choice was 50 km today . Out the door at a leisurely start time of 10.30 . Anstey ,Cropston ,Quorn to cross the flooded river soar then up the 4 mile drag of Paudy lane which was aided by a lovely tailwind . Several Strava prs on the flatter top sections :rolleyes:. Then turned towards Ragdale into the wind !. Droped down then climbed out on to an exposed section of road and was battered by crosswinds making for a few interesting miles . Turned right in Hoby into the wind along the Wreake valley a few steady miles grinding along to Cossington . Went to cross the river soar at Rothley but found the road flooded so back to Sileby to find that crossing flooded so back to Quorn the one crossing that rarely floods but has this year . Retraced the outward route back home . 36.6 miles in the bag in sunny conditions but boy was that wind cutting but nice not to get wet for a change . 1 challenge ride in the bag the two century ones to go . Let's hope the wind will now begin to die down

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Awoke to some sunshine :sun:for a change , obviously it's still windy we couldn't have perfect conditions could we .1st of the month time to bank a challenge ride, Choice was 50 km today . Out the door at a leisurely start time of 10.30 . Anstey ,Cropston ,Quorn to cross the flooded river soar then up the 4 mile drag of Paudy lane which was aided by a lovely tailwind . Several Strava prs on the flatter top sections :rolleyes:. Then turned towards Ragdale into the wind !. Droped down then climbed out on to an exposed section of road and was battered by crosswinds making for a few interesting miles . Turned right in Hoby into the wind along the Wreake valley a few steady miles grinding along to Cossington . Went to cross the river soar at Rothley but found the road flooded so back to Sileby to find that crossing flooded so back to Quorn the one crossing that rarely floods but has this year . Retraced the outward route back home . 36.6 miles in the bag in sunny conditions but boy was that wind cutting but nice not to get wet for a change . 1 challenge ride in the bag the two century ones to go . Let's hope the wind will now begin to die down
I was thinking the century ride challange , maybe as feb was such a wash out weather wise allow a double bubble this month to make it up or is it a case of rule 5 ?

Top Bottom