Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Having seen the forecast for the weekend I took advantage of the slightly lighter evenings and did a short loop after w*rk. According to the met office it was sunny, which it wasn't. but it had at least stopped raining, although there were still some very large puddles covering the entire road in places. First stop the Ettrick Water -

- which was brown, boiling and well up on the arch of the bridge.

Next stop the Yarrow Water, also in full spate -

- as was the A708 50 metres further on, where the water was pouring out of a spring above the road and flowing along it.

I made a detour further on to look at the Murray's Cauld hydro power station. This has two 110 KW archimedes screws which were both churning away but it was now too dark for a photo.

The map -
1581767905711.png

The earworm -

24.3 miles @12.8mph, 431m up.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Respect to anyone who makes it out today...particually on a normal bike.
Ebike for me, I was getting a bit stir crazy, edgy, not very good with winter, motivation etc but fed up of staying in, so despite the wind, its mild and cloudy, with the battery assistance, not too bad.
Just meandered though roads around Stilton ,Denton,Folksworth etc...got quite lost in the little hamlet of Denton, rough roads that seemed to go nowhere, everything is saturated, ditched streaming with run off from fields but its quiet out there, just relaxing.
14miles perhaps, got home as the rain started. Winds currently 30 mph, gusting to 50, didnt feel that bad as I was out so perhaps its kicking up a bit now.

13 rider

Guru
Out early this morning trying to avoid the worst of Denis . Rolled out at 0630 into not to bad conditions set off on a 50 mile loop optimistically hoping to be home before the strong winds . Anstey,Cossington ,Gaddesby on to the first climb of the day up Ashby Foeville hill had a bit of a tailwind up it . Smashed a Strava pr on Gaddesby lane could really feel the wind behind me as I went uphill at 24mph ,still nowhere near the Kom !!:surrender:. On to the second climb of the day up Saxileby hill again a helpful tailwind . Then finally turned into the wind just as it starts to rain :rain:.On the ridge into the wind is hard work so the right turn onto Lawn lane as most welcome . The rain comes and goes in heavy showers . Through Wymeswold and Hoton on to Cotes road into Barrow and a strong headwind now . As I grovelling into the wind a mate past me in their work van in the opposite direction could see him thinking look at that nutter :crazy:. Slow progress home as the wind continues to pick up . Home with 50.1 miles (a day for just enough) at a steady 14.8 mph .A first proper test for my gore shakedry waterproof which it past with flying colours made a mistake of not putting on overshoes so my feet were a tad damp . Probably should have only done 2 hours but been a bad month for milage so pushed my luck a bit ,glad to get home before it got any worse

Last edited:
Getting a bit tasty out there guys! I had the Stones Gimme Shelter in my head as I got off the Greenway heading due West into Wales, just no protection at all from Dennis the Menace :sad:
Cycling back with the wind i now know what an ebike is like, lovely!
Quick stop off for a few tourist pics....

Choir practice in Chester Cathedral sounded very soothing, amazing how a whopping great building protects you from the wind, still nippy when not on the move though.

Quick scoot through town to check the Dee out, in full flow with all the rain

14 miles total in hardly ideal conditions but it certainly blew the cobwebs off. I wonder what next weekends storm will be called?
PS respect to all who venture out today, stay safe :okay:

footloose crow

Über Member
16 Feb. Back on the bike again

Pacing is the key to cycling and I am pacing up and down. I can see a single shaft of sunlight between clouds. Is it enough? The rain has stopped....but I thought that an hour ago and then it hailed. Madame Crow says 'go for a ride, you're wearing the floor out' and it is the push I need.

First ride since 25 Jan apart from sneaking between volcanoes last week in Fuerteventura in sunshine and I am not sure that counts. Good to be back on the bike again. The new bar tape looks good too right up to the first puddle, a monster lake of brown water that runs for thirty metres and up to the bottom bracket. Wet feet. Lucky it isn't cold.

Out of Truro and down the hill on the cycle path. A dangerous path this, narrow and I can't see if anyone is coming the other way. It feels bad to brake but the bends could hide anything although why anyone would cycle today at 4.30pm is a mystery. Certainly a mystery to the drivers who look puzzled to see me, lights flashing, a flourescent streak in the gathering gloom.

I wonder where the wind is gone on the flat section through Tresillian - aha like a pantomime villain it is behind me. I thought I was faster than usual. Today I may have some 'Personal Bests' but probably some 'Personal Worsts' coming back later. Rising nausea on the hill up to Probus, breath rasping, legs hurting but still in the higher gears. Breathing better now, change up when the hill flattens. This is good - I wonder where the wind is. Ah, hiding behind me, a gentle pushing hand. That's nice.

I wonder about going further today. A pause at the junction. Now I feel the wind and it has got stronger so maybe not a long ride today. Turn around and head down hill through Probus again, the wind holding me back, punching from the left and then the right, a hand on my chest. I am having to pedal downhill or face coming to a halt.

Now it is a fight home. A malevolent wind. Cars pass me as I wobble back through Tresillian, cursing me I am sure for not cycling straight. They can't feel what I feel, cocooned in their metal and glass. The road is running with water and I can hear it rattling on the mudguards. Clouds thicken again. That burst of sunlight that tempted me out has long gone.

The final hill, protected slightly by being in a steep valley, I focus on the road a metre ahead of the front wheel and try to make my breathing steady. Legs are burning, complaining I haven't asked them to do this for weeks. Hundred k rides seem a long way off right now. Back on the lane home, the puddle waits for me and it seems deeper in this direction. I try to judge the right speed. Too fast and I will get wet. Too slow and I will have to put a foot down. I get it wrong - too fast. Wind assistance not factored into speed calculations. Wet from the knees down. I have just replaced the rear wheel bearing and the pain of making it wet again is uppermost in my mind. The steep lane down to the house is muddy. The farmer who owns the land around us has been driving his tractor across the fields muck spreading and a lot of the field is now on the road. The discs complain about the mud in a loud screeching voice all the way down.

It is good to be back on the bike again but it's not long enough. I need more. Maybe tomorrow......

Screenshot 2020-02-16 at 18.40.31.png

13 rider

Guru
After yesterday's soaking didn't fancy a long ride today . Awoke to less windy conditions than forecast ,checked the weather app and between 9 and 10 least chance if rain so an hour it is. Decided as its a short one I headed for the hills . Through Newtown Linford and turned on to the quiet lanes around Ulverscroft and the amount of water running off the fields was amazing meaning the roads were covered in debris .Up Polly Botts lane was like riding up a river at the cross roads I went right rather than my normal left which would normally be a rapid descent regular top 40mph but today I was on the brakes all the way down dodging gravel :eek:. Made it down safely a couple of twitchy moments . Then the steady climb up Priory lane and into Woodhouse ,Church hill then the Swithland wood climb which then led onto my least favourite climb of Warren hill . A hill I normally go round but today was about elevation so ground my way up . Not sure why I dislike this hill as I don't mind climbing but there something about this one I just don't like . I was in my Defy as it has mudguards and it lowest gear is 39/28 which was definitely required as I grovelled my way up . As I crested this I felt the full force if the headwind which meant the descent back into Newtown Linford was also slower than normal . Home with 11.6 miles in the bag with 1325ft of upness which explains the average of 13.6 mph . most of the hills are around 200ft so I was going up quite often :surrender:. Hardly got rained on and the hills and hedges mainly sheltered me so not too bad conditions certainly better than forecast

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Out early this morning trying to avoid the worst of Denis . Rolled out at 0630 into not to bad conditions set off on a 50 mile loop optimistically hoping to be home before the strong winds . Anstey,Cossington ,Gaddesby on to the first climb of the day up Ashby Foeville hill had a bit of a tailwind up it . Smashed a Strava pr on Gaddesby lane could really feel the wind behind me as I went uphill at 24mph ,still nowhere near the Kom !!:surrender:. On to the second climb of the day up Saxileby hill again a helpful tailwind . Then finally turned into the wind just as it starts to rain :rain:.On the ridge into the wind is hard work so the right turn onto Lawn lane as most welcome . The rain comes and goes in heavy showers . Through Wymeswold and Hoton on to Cotes road into Barrow and a strong headwind now . As I grovelling into the wind a mate past me in their work van in the opposite direction could see him thinking look at that nutter :crazy:. Slow progress home as the wind continues to pick up . Home with 50.1 miles (a day for just enough) at a steady 14.8 mph .A first proper test for my gore shakedry waterproof which it past with flying colours made a mistake of not putting on overshoes so my feet were a tad damp . Probably should have only done 2 hours but been a bad month for milage so pushed my luck a bit ,glad to get home before it got any worse
well done , a lot of floods reported around me with road closures and people getting stranded as well as the winds so i just turboed it today

pawl

Legendary Member
After yesterday's soaking didn't fancy a long ride today . Awoke to less windy conditions than forecast ,checked the weather app and between 9 and 10 least chance if rain so an hour it is. Decided as its a short one I headed for the hills . Through Newtown Linford and turned on to the quiet lanes around Ulverscroft and the amount of water running off the fields was amazing meaning the roads were covered in debris .Up Polly Botts lane was like riding up a river at the cross roads I went right rather than my normal left which would normally be a rapid descent regular top 40mph but today I was on the brakes all the way down dodging gravel :eek:. Made it down safely a couple of twitchy moments . Then the steady climb up Priory lane and into Woodhouse ,Church hill then the Swithland wood climb which then led onto my least favourite climb of Warren hill . A hill I normally go round but today was about elevation so ground my way up . Not sure why I dislike this hill as I don't mind climbing but there something about this one I just don't like . I was in my Defy as it has mudguards and it lowest gear is 39/28 which was definitely required as I grovelled my way up . As I crested this I felt the full force if the headwind which meant the descent back into Newtown Linford was also slower than normal . Home with 11.6 miles in the bag with 1325ft of upness which explains the average of 13.6 mph . most of the hills are around 200ft so I was going up quite often :surrender:. Hardly got rained on and the hills and hedges mainly sheltered me so not too bad conditions certainly better than forecast

Kudos for that ride considering the conditions.At my age I’m happy 😊 to achieve 13MPH on normal give and take roads

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
The weather didn’t seem that bad mid morning, it wasn’t raining and the wind wasn’t as bad as the weather app suggested so I decided to take a chance on a short ride. I stayed fairly close to home in case I needed to give up early and had a rough plan which should have avoided any floods although the lake opposite our house which should be a field should have been a clue. It was quite pleasant when I set off towards Whixall and the wind had dried the lanes off nicely then I found the first flood where I have never seen a flood, which was quite deep but I got through with wet feet only to find another even bigger flood, whichever way I chose I was going to get wet so I slowly went through, too slowly unfortunately and got really wet feet 😢. No choice but to carry on now so carried on to Alkington where I tried to stop the only car I saw to warn them they wouldn’t get through the floods but she wouldn’t stop. Splashed through some more shallow floods back to Hollinswood, Coton, Waterloo, Poolhead, Creamore where the wind started to pick up again and the rain and hail started, I carried on to Wem and decided when I got there that now would be a good time to head home as I don’t like the wind when it can blow me across the road. 18.7 miles at 14.5mph. Lots of snowdrops flowering now so it must be nearly spring.

Old jon

Guru
Raindrops on the windowpanes were not part of today’s plan but the wind looked brisk enough to blow the clouds away. And by the time I was ready to pedal, it had done just that.

But it was brisk, and icy cold too. By the time I had reached Water Lane the intended route had been altered. Shorter, flatter and just easier and quicker. On the geared bike again and expecting the odd stop here and there to adjust things. Before leaving I had altered the way the gear cable went around the headstock, and before riding a hundred yards I wanted to alter it back. So I did, and gear changing improved.

Anyway, onto the towpath at Office Lock, and that wind fair whistles down that towpath. Reached Viaduct Road and considered, for maybe ten seconds, to turn off there and take the road to Otley. Nah, the higher the road goes the stronger the wind blows. Keep on to Rodley. Walkers and dog walkers, two or three other cyclists and then after passing the bridge at Newlay a lass walking two horses. Thinking back, they may have been ponies, a bit smaller than a horse. Not that I know anything at all about the creatures.

After Newlay is Rodley. A pause to eat a banana and take a drink then about turn and enjoy the wind pushing me back the way I came. Reached the turn off to Kirkstall Station and took that, noticing that the correct title is Kirkstall Forge station. It was the forge of that name not too long ago. But no more. Still, this leads me back to roads and traffic and cycle paths. Which are easier to ride on the geared bike but there are still a lot of sharp turns to make. Town centre reached, turn right to rejoin the towpath for a few hundred yards before making tyre tracks through a bit of Hunslet and then home. Cold still after seventeen miles, and the rear change wants more adjusting. But still with the grin.

No pics or video. The phone refused to let me use the camera. Have a map instead.

17022020.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
At last I'm back on the bike. Bug was a rotter. The weather has been as bad. Storm Ciara followed by Storm Dennis. So the rivers here are spreading out significantly. My route today was designed to avoid re-routed traffic and the flooding. I viewed Longdon Marsh from Hillend and it was well under. I also detoured to see the water at Clive's Farm. That's high too. On my run back I bumped into Bill D who was in reasonable form. Like me he had been dodging the water. Bit tired from the ride. Must be after effects from that bug. 36 smiles

1581960904523.png

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
33.3 miles today, dodging (or trying to dodge) showers and chasing rainbows. Although the Severn has yet to breach its banks, lots of roadside streams and ditches have done, with water streaming across the roads in all sorts of unusual places. Got well and truly splattered. On the way out to Arlingham and Frampton I paused for a moment at Epney. That big black cloud in the first photo is directly above Arlingham, where I was heading ....

Decided to do Frampton first, and got well and truly soaked by the time I got there ... in beautiful sunshine ...

By the time I'd battled the wind to Arlingham and turned the bike around, another shower had come and gone, and I was starting to benefit from a considerable tailwind. There were also plenty of nice sightings of rainbows to be had on the way back. This was in Longney ...

... and this on the way from Longney to Elmore (note the flooded drainage ditch, which was recently dug out to a depth of about ten feet) ...

Always nice to ride along with views of rainbows.

Now to dry myself off and get warm.
Cheers, Donger.

C R

Guru
At last I'm back on the bike. Bug was a rotter. The weather has been as bad. Storm Ciara followed by Storm Dennis. So the rivers here are spreading out significantly. My route today was designed to avoid re-routed traffic and the flooding. I viewed Longdon Marsh from Hillend and it was well under. I also detoured to see the water at Clive's Farm. That's high too. On my run back I bumped into Bill D who was in reasonable form. Like me he had been dodging the water. Bit tired from the ride. Must be after effects from that bug. 36 smiles

View attachment 504988
Looks like Upton is about to flood tonight. A colleague who lives in Ryall was saying the other day that the new raised road was supposed to be above the 100 year event height, it is something that within its first year of service it's already being overtopped.

Stay safe everyone.

Top Bottom