Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
Two bike rides today – first this morning the Ebike on a 4.26 mile round shopping trip to M&S avoiding cycle tracks and keeping to the roads so the climb of Ripon Road was somewhat quicker than on the Defy yesterday. Had used the last Shepherds Pie in the freezer yesterday so two Cumberland and another Shepherds picked up and for once I had to pay a bit for them as my latest TopCashback gift voucher ran out of funds.
Then this afternoon with the bib shorts making a welcome return broke the avoiding of the A59 westbound on the Defy and carried on west on it for 8 miles assisted by the tailwind passing Knabs Ridge wind farm on its north side.
View attachment 516420
It was relatively quiet with only a few HGVs and the main downhill section saw the speed touch 39.1 mph.
View attachment 516422
Turned north-west along Meagill Lane and then broke my CV19 avoiding bridleways stance by following one north through the former HMS Forest Moor communication base that linked communications between navy vessels in the North and Irish Seas before satellite communication. As I had expected no one else was using it. Back east along Menwith Hill Road was noticeable for the headwind and visibility was good with Nidderdale stretching away to the north west
View attachment 516421
As the route turned more to the north east the strength of the cross wind resulted in a quick drop of speed and the need to turn the handlebars towards the wind slightly to avoid being blown to the side of the road. I turned off dropping down the valley side slightly to the south for a slightly more sheltered route away from the ridge That taken was not fully intended, but a lane I had intended to go down had a number of walkers on it. The lane I stayed on was not in the best nick with the occasional pot hole and one junction was completely covered in loose gravel so progress was a bit on the slow side. Regained normal route down to Hampsthwaite, the decent was interesting with spells of cross, head and no wind which again meant dropping speed a bit again. Climbing away from the village on Hollins Lane I had another cyclist ahead to track and consequently despite the wind managed my third best time.
17.53 miles @ 12.6mph avg, 1240ft climbed
View attachment 516418
View attachment 516417
Menwith hill is that the one with the top secret Raf base your not allowed to mention :ph34r: oh bother I've mentioned it :ohmy:. We watched the women's world championships there and missed being on telly as they didn't do any aerial footage

C R

Guru
Another fast -for me- and furious ride after dinner. Just over 14 miles at 16.9 mph. Could have been faster if it weren't for the annoying wind in the middle segment. The speed looks a lot less impressive when you see that the course was fairly flat, with only 95m of up. Anyhow, it is fast for me.

Just one car, but quite a few cyclists, mostly family groups, and a beautiful clear late afternoon. Takes my total for April to 104 miles, which is better than I thought it would be.

IMG_20200419_194919.jpg

Mike_P

Guru
Menwith hill is that the one with the top secret Raf base your not allowed to mention :ph34r: oh bother I've mentioned it :ohmy:. We watched the women's world championships there and missed being on telly as they didn't do any aerial footage
The Tour de France coverage in 2014 clearly showed the base.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Carrying on from Wednesday's trip south down the A68 to Northumberland today I tried the A68 northbound to the Midlothian boundary, which includes the long drag of Soutra Hill. This looks much worse from a car than it does on a bike, it's not steep but quite long. Eventually it reaches a long plateau before descending the escarpment to the north. This is the view from the north end of the plateau, looking towards the Soutra east windfarm -

and looking the other way over East Lothian and the Firth of Forth towards Fife -

From there it's a short fast descent to the Midlothian Council boundary where I turned off south and back steeply uphill to Soutra Aisle. This was a medieval hospital situated on Dere Street, the ex-roman road, which was also used by invading English armies and returning Scots ones. It has an even better view to the north, with a clear view of Edinburgh

-except my phone camera is rubbish. Arthur's Seat can just be made out between two pylons on the left horizon. The bike is perched against a very interesting info board. To read it I had to put on a jacket due the the strength of the bone chilling easterly wind. According to the met office it should have been 11 mph gusting 20 mph but in reality it was 20mph occasionally dropping to 11. It was only 12C at home and considerably less at altitude. Bib shorts were fine in the sunshine so long as I kept moving.
One last stop, the packhorse bridge on the A7 at Stow.

Compared with last Sunday there was more than twice as much traffic on the southbound A7. Last week I was overtaken by four motor vehicles, this week it was nine, in about three miles less distance.
The map -

1587332633589.png

47.3 miles @ 15.9 mph, 644m up and down.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Looked at wind direction, mentally planned a route and left this morning. Not very far in the crosswind becomes a headwind (this wasn't forecast) so I throw the towel in and take the first opportunity to head for home again, there's no other viable turn point on this route for miles. At this point I'm not back into cycling enough to want to suffer that much.

Onto DC and pass a familiar silver Land Rover (PSNI) end up on the shared use path and waiting for a walker, COOP LGV passes me and I notice the full back door spread "Cyclists look out blah blah"

Barely 1mi later the lorry is parked up right where the path ends and as I approach the driver appears and puts his hand up. I stop, already thinking WTF have I done and am getting off the bike ready for a punchup.

"mate, thats fvcking class, I love that colour.. I've just bought a Merida, can't wait to finish to get out tonight"

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Mike_P

Guru
That wind is wild again today, just took the ebike to the local co-op for some essentials and to post another eBay sale and think the Defy will be having a day off today, full power and low gears needed to make a controlled progress without getting blown all over the place. It did however prove the strange noise it has been making is 99% certain to be mudguard related and definitely not motor related.

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Leaves in the back garden were being blown about again, must be a north easterly wind. So the idea popped into mind, ride the geared bike away, into the wind.

I was bigging it up a bit, the breeze that is. Up to the clock at Oakwood it was costing about half a gear. Which was a bit of a prat really, but settle for the low one and twiddle. The next bit of climbing, same idea. Turn left after the crest onto Whin Moor Lane, and a big WOW! I had seen a red kite enjoying the breeze, flying my right to left. Rode along a bit, hedges here are intermittent, and the bird, or its sibling, popped over the hedge not a big distance above my head. Never seen one so close, wow indeed.

A few yards along the road I thought, ‘ What if the bird had mistaken my bald head for an egg?’ Odd, the stuff that I think of. Ride to Shadwell, then Slaid Hill and turn onto the ridge road. All the way to East Keswick this is a fun road, even the climb out of the village has its good points, the top being the best of them. The A659, for no change at all, is next and a right turn to head to Collingham, and then turn left for Linton.

At the next ‘T’ junction Wetherby is the right turn. A gentle thought about turn left for Sicklinghall, but no, maybe next time. Back across the River Wharfe, crossed it before on the way into Linton, and take the rising road to Wattle Syke roundabout. There is room for confusion here, Wattle Syke (the road), is also the A659, and joins the A58 at what the OS identifies as Wattle Syke, the village. Not that it matters, West Woods Road next, to the outskirts of Bramham.

Thorner next, taking, and enjoying, full advantage of the breeze. Choose the way out, Sandhills this time, and the two lanes back to the A58. Down the hill and pass the Oakwood Clock again, more descending to cross the Aire at Crown Point. By the time the home grin appeared the ride was thirty four miles long with 2100 feet of up. And my legs were feeling it!

No wind on this map,

20042020.jpg

theloafer

Legendary Member
a short trip today...had to drop off a birthday gift.. which arrived late in post, social distancing adhered to :okay: ..return trip was via the local cycle/walk route around the outskirts of our fair town. even though i thought it would be busy with said walkers/dogs i was in no rush to return to my cell..:laugh::laugh::laugh: just short of 16 miles https://www.strava.com/activities/3326330760

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I struggled with motivation today but it was an absolutely beautiful sunny day so I dragged myself and the knockabout bike out regardless.

Just a trip round a shorter version of my Condover, Acton Burnell Longnor route. I headed over Lyth Hill at the start which gave a nice view and sheltered me from the strong and blustery wind, during the climb at least. Gosh it was windy - riding into it was like having the brakes on and when it was to the side I was getting a shove across the road at every gateway. Really nice when it was at my back though - shame that bit didn't last longer.

18.2 miles at 13.6 mph average. I probably saw about a dozen cyclists and plenty of folk out walking.

A couple of shots from Lyth Hill.

The Lawley and Caer Caradoc taken near Longnor

13 rider

Guru
A day off work today so found time for an hour's blast . Out the door at 1030 into sunny but blustery conditions . Turned away from the hills for a change . Anstey ,Cropston ,Rothley over the river Soar along the river valley Cossington to Sileby back over the river Mountsorrel ,Rothley ,Cropston and home . Homeward was aided by a nice tailwind . 17.8 miles in a tad over the hour at 17.3 mph with only 675ft of upness .But this upness was enough to complete the Strava monthly climbing challenge with only have done 550 miles . The 1 hour hilly rides have pushed up feet per mile average . Can I complete the required 225 miles for the monthly distance Strava challenge in 10 days ?

Top Bottom