Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
There's a stretch of A6 Dual Carriageway between Chapel en le Frith and Whaley Bridge that I've never dared to ride on. National speed limit, no hard shoulder, always busy. Well, always busy except when we're in the middle of a pandemic. So I had a go. The Brucie bonus was that with a strong Easterly it should be pretty quick
Of course I have to get there and that entails two big, steep hills. But I got there, went past the roundabout where the Strava segment starts and got a run at it.
Great fun, almost no overtakes in 4km, it's ever so slightly downhill and I managed to average about 48km/hr.
All in, about 50km and 1000m of climbing. Think I might pop back and have another go while the wind is as it is. Once the lockdown ends that's it, never riding it again

13 rider

Guru
There's a stretch of A6 Dual Carriageway between Chapel en le Frith and Whaley Bridge that I've never dared to ride on. National speed limit, no hard shoulder, always busy. Well, always busy except when we're in the middle of a pandemic. So I had a go. The Brucie bonus was that with a strong Easterly it should be pretty quick
Of course I have to get there and that entails two big, steep hills. But I got there, went past the roundabout where the Strava segment starts and got a run at it.
Great fun, almost no overtakes in 4km, it's ever so slightly downhill and I managed to average about 48km/hr.
All in, about 50km and 1000m of climbing. Think I might pop back and have another go while the wind is as it is. Once the lockdown ends that's it, never riding it again
On an evening ride last week I rode a 2 mile climb on a dual carriageway that I would normally not go any near even though is limited to 40 mph . I was amazed the Strava segment had riden by 500 riders

Last edited:
Took canal from Birmingham city centre -,Gas street basin out towards HMP Winson green. Totally unbothered heron !

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A 12 mile circuit here today in the Cambridgeshire flatlands.

The normally heaving B1102 between the Swaffhams. This current situation is a bloody nightmare, but I’m really going to miss the peace once it all ends. Lovely today, aside from the odd inevitable Audiot.

Burwell Fen.

Still on Burwell Fen. That sky!
Been pining for this weather throughout the cold dark months since about September!

Reach Lode from the bridge.

The lane back toward Swaffham Prior. home after around an hour. I’d been hoping to spot a few wheatears which often stop off hereabouts on their way north, but nothing today. Plenty of swallows though, and a barn owl passing by our lounge window this evening at dusk made up for it.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
First ride since last Thursday, went out in the morning today, about 22 miles around the same roads and lanes as previously described here. Today, almost as soon as I set off, I stopped off at the church at Twigworth for a pic.
For those interested this is the church where Ivor Gurney is buried, below is his headstone. According to Wikipedia this is a replacement for the original which got damaged, the damaged original is now kept inside the church.

ianbarton

Veteran
IMG_20200421_161116.jpg

Did my usual 40km loop through Market Drayton and Audlem. A few annoyances: strong headwind for most of the day, my cadence sensor came off somewhere and the GoPro mount came off. Luckily I managed to catch the GoPro before it fell to the road. On the upside: beautiful weather and almost no traffic. Saw several families with children out cycling.

IMG_20200421_162749.jpg

View over the Cheshire plain.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
No piccies :sad:
40 blustery miles around local lanes but not enjoyable as it was to windy to give it the beans as the cross winds were trying to blow me across the roads .
Something else i have noticed is the drivers now tend to fall into 2 categories, those that gives you loads of room and the turnips who try to get close enough to infect you :sad:Had a twit do a close overtake and when i shouted they waited further up the road then pulled alongside to argue about it .I think they were a bit shocked when they saw someone was not going to take any poop and drove off.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Lovely sunny day with warm sun. Wind was blowing tho'. I took the usual lanes out to Redmarley and paused at Brand Green to admire the bluebells. Then the drop to turn at Highleadon and Murrell's End. The views from Woolridge were slightly hazy. Down on the Hams I got the full force of the wind. Certainly it was stronger than the forecast. 20 miles of tough wind was not part of today's plan but I had to get home. So just pedal an easy gear was the idea. It worked and I survived to type this. 47 smiles

All uphill

Still rolling along
Out alone for a 30 mile exercise loop. Leaving a cool Taunton around 10am I quickly found myself overheating and did 25 of the miles with a bundle of clothes tied to the rack.

I always like this bridge at Ham and stopped here for my first coffee.
20200421_102946.jpg

On to Burrowbridge

Across the Levels to Bridgwater and along very familiar roads home.
20200421_111558.jpg

20200421_102946.jpg

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Another 19.3 enjoyable miles in glorious late afternoon sunshine. Nipped down to the riverbank at Priding, where I took a short breather while looking along the Severn towards the Anchor Inn at Epney:

On the way back I called in at Saul Junction, which is where the Stroudwater Canal and the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal meet. There is a working boatyard, a large marina and (in normal times) a decent cafe there.

Exchanged greetings with a fellow clubmate who I encountered twice going the opposite way from me. Back home in time for tea. Another great endorphine rush. Stay safe everyone.
Donger.

Top Bottom