Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Mrs 26 and I took to Jennet Tree Lane for Powick. We stopped on the centuries old bridge for Mrs 26 to pick up some seed potatoes from her friend. Social distancing observed. The south link road is relatively quiet at the moment so we rode over the Carrington Bridge and dived into the lanes for Hatfield Bank. Mrs 26 headed for Kinnersley and home while I aimed at Wadborough. The bluebells in the woods on the way to Drakes Broughton were stunning. I turned for Pershore and spotted Pete M and Jules H social distancing. I joined in for a short time at distance. It's been a while since I've ridden the Bredon circuit in this direction so a bit of a change. The joys of Ashton under Hill are very much less obvious this way around. Soon I was crossing the Avon and Severn at Tewkesbury to get me back on the correct banks for home. I took Longdon Marsh for a change in the opposite to usual direction for the Castlemorton lanes return. A fairly flat ride after 3 weeks in the hills. Lots of sun but a nagging wind at times. 56 smiles

geocycle

Legendary Member
This morning’s ride went down to the coast at Glasson Marina. Always like looking at sailing vessels. Another lovely morning and less breezy than yesterday. A 15 mile pre-work pootle.

Well, stepped out a bit today - for me, that is! Got on the Scott and carried right on up to the A38 at Marsh Mills, longest ride for ages.
Didn't get up the Leg O'Mutton ramp in one go, but getting better.
Lot of uphill coming back although not steep, just not flat either.
PC won't read the micro SD card from my camera, so the lovely pics I took are in limbo for the moment...
30.57 miles, avg 9.5mph (getting better), 2231 feet of gain, and felt every foot of it.
The new gearing on this bike is just peachy.
^_^
Edited to add pics:

Under the A38

Plymbridge Woods

At the Plym Peregrine Project. Lovely small road bike next to mine.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Ever since my new chain was fitted it has been noisy. Not sure whether that is a thing with Shimano chains, as I think I've had KC chains in the past. There was also a bit of chain slippage on the new cassette which might be down to the quick link I installed
It was a Shimano chain that I had the stiff link in last week. I take you have got it on with the markings on the outside.

Meanwhile solved most of the noise of my ebike, it was the tyre rubbing on a slightly not bent enough mudguard fixing:okay: Now just the rub of the chain on the definitely not "Chainglider" chain and chainwheel cover it has:angry: Can see that coming off.
The ebike had a new shopping run this evening, of just 2.5 miles this evening to Aldi and back having worked out what I needed would fit in the rucksack. A side advantage of CV19 was that queuing to get in the other week meant I finally found where the Sheffield stands were lurking.:okay:
Wind had now diminished to a noticeable breeze , still from the east.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Two quick post working from home rides this week - identical anti-clockwise routes out to Westerfield via Falkenham, Newbourne & Rushmere and back via the north & east of Ipswich and Bucklesham on both days, the only difference being a slight drop in the wind strength today. I'll only post the details from yesterday's ride as, remarkably, today's ride only differed in time by being faster by 1 second!
Edited to add: I've been riding with the seatpost bolt removed as the seatpost is stuck in the frame and I'm hoping the poor condition Suffolk roads would loosen it - no luck yet.

Screenshot_2020-04-22 Commute - work from home Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2020-04-22 Commute - work from home Ride Strava(1).png

roley poley

Über Member
Took the loo seat beyond its flight envelope by standing on it to reach the last corner painting the bathroom ….so my daily exercise ride turned into an essential shopping run.. down hill ...through the uni into wilkos back in a head wind with a broad front pannier uphill with a brommie…. not complaining a mans gotta poo what a mans gotta poo

This morning it was a case of go out or go stir-crazy. The lockdown here isn't as tight as in the UK, and we can go out cycling all day if we want, but I decided to do a shortish loop around Stuttgart airport. This involved diving into the valley down the Scary Hill of Doom and into the forest on the other side:

Past the Troll Bridge, which is already disparaging disappearing (Spellchecker strikes again...)into the foliage:

On the other side of the valley, the state is building a new high speed rail link, and a few kilometres away the city is building a new tram route to the airport. Apparently they aren't actually talking to each other so the cycleway diversions for one now send cyclists into the blocked off cycleways around the other. So much for German Efficiency.

Eventually I followed the road, and came out in Filderstadt, twinned with Selby, which is apparently 1200km away. I promised someone here that I'd take a picture of the sign when I got the chance, so here it is.

Filderstadt is also currently hosting the local drive-through covid-19 testing station, and the cycleway now goes through it. Unfortunately there's no warning signs until you're right in there, and even than it's a sign saying "do not leave your vehicle".

Fortunately it was closed when I went through.

Once through Filderstadt, there is a network of agricultural roads which are traffic free and generally well signposted towards the next town. Today was a short ride, so I rolled back down the hill, through the nearest valley...

And back up the Scary Hill Of Doom to our village:

The White flags are commemorating the end of the war for the town 75 years ago, when French troops arrived. The cycleways painted on the road are new, and from what I've seen so far, largely useless, but such is life...

Last edited:

Landsurfer

Veteran
Glorious morning in the Don valley this morning. Rode from the centre of Rotherham to Hillsborough in Sheffield by the canal and the river.
Warm sunshine and the lack of the CV-19 exercisers along the cut and river made it a wonderful trip ....

The cross over the canal near Attercliffe ...

The canal basin in the centre of Sheffield ....

Being drained for repair work to prevent leaks ........

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Started writing a typically long account of yesterdays ride but the browser crashed and lost most of it, so...

Went out east for a sedate mosey on the Genesis in an effort to assess its touring credentials and not hammer myself too much after quite a lot of cycling recently.

Ended up doing a 55 miler encompassingly mostly rural roads but also a few bridleways, some woodland routes and some rare "proper" gravel tracks; off-road and in fantastic scenery but still relatively smooth so pleasant to ride on a rigid frame with thinnish tyres :becool:

The weather was fantastic - cloudless blue skies, perpetual sun and while the wind made itself known, it was nowhere near as bad as it has been recently. I took in some cracking views over RSPB Otmoor, got close to a herd of 15-20 Roe(?) deer, saw some Hares, rode along a desolate, expansive strip of deserted airfield and saw no end of other cyclists with their usual varying degrees of friendlyness.

I don't often ride to the east as it means travelling through the city centre (unless doing a big loop) which is usually a pain in traffic (with SPDs) and slows my average speed. That said there's some really nice countryside out that way (especially if you're "gravel-capable") so I'll be making more of an effort to ride out this way in future and maybe refine yesterday's ride into a more regular route.

All in all a really great ride that ultimately accounted for over four hours of my day, included 1800ft of elevation gain and burned around 2500 kcal. It's days like that that serve as a very welcome reminder of why I love cycling :smile:

Last edited:

colly

Re member eR
A steady run out, not wanting to be too long.
For a change I headed into dark territory. Through Harehills and East End Park. Dark because in normal times the roads around East End Park are thronged with heavy lorries, vans and cars. Not today. Still busier than other roads but managable enough.

Harehills, East End Park and the edge of the Cross Green Trading Estate led me onto a cycle track I have passed for years in the van, without me ever really knowing where it finished up. I found out today it runs along side the Neville Hill Depot and railway sidings and finishes at Halton Moor. It's wasn't anywhere I wanted to be though.:sad:
So onwards to the track that leads eventually to Temple Newsham House. I turned off that under the A1M and made for Leventhorpe and past the Leventhorpe Vineyards to pick up the canalside path back in towards Leeds. I cut off before The Armouries and made my way back via East End Park back home again.

17.6 miles and a flat 807 ft

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/47610289

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Up and about early for me today as it seems a good time to get out in the current nice weather. Just one of my usual Longnor, Acton Burnell, Harnage loops on the Raleigh with a bit extra round the village at the start just because.

Of course, despite the sunshine it's a little on the cool side at 7.30 on an April morning so I needed a fleece. Otherwise it was great with not too much wind. I've been experimenting with the saddle adjustment again and there were some stops on the way round to tweak it. I finished up with it back where it started :laugh: but on the plus side have satisfied my curiosity.

I was surprised at how many people were out walking or jogging already in the lanes. There was a lack of other cyclists though - only four in total this time and two of those were in the last couple of miles.

On the return leg a few vehicles overtook on the short stretch of the A49 and I was surprised at how much room they all gave me. The closest ones still left the kind of space I'd usually be quite content with.:okay: More of that please my fellow road users.^_^

A very pleasant trip to start the day. A fraction over 24 miles at 15.4 mph average.

Misty over the Stretton Hills this morning.

Top Bottom