Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
A slow bimble for me today. Just under 11 miles. The weather is gorgeous today.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
@welsh dragon looks lovely there.

Old jon

Guru
Finally convinced that warmer weather is here, decided to wear a lighter jacket today after seeing the sun was still up there in a blue sky. To be certain to stay warm I also thought to include a few hills in today’s route then illogically decided to ride the geared bike to make things easier! Sometimes I despair of me.

But not that much. Wandering through a bit of Holbeck is such a habit these days that it happens even when it is not needed. Cross the Aire on Victoria Bridge on the way to City Square, then Kirkstall Road to Cardigan Road for the first of the promised climbs, which finishes about four miles later at the Cookridge water tower. There may be a couple of hundred yards of flat road in that, I am not sure. There is some welcome descent after the water tower, but instead of going on to Bramhope I took the left turn for the short sharp hill with a view of Leeds and Bradford Airport.

When the A658 is reached, turn right and enjoy the whizz down Pool Bank, straight through the village to cross the Wharfe and not far after that turn left on the Leathley road. But do not ride all the way there, another left, across the Washburn, leads to the climb up to Farnley. That one does drag a bit, I stopped by the hall gates for a bite, you can see the road is still rising on the way to Otley. That is the last rise, though, followed by a welcome descent.

And, of course, to leave Otley is up hill. But this is the final one of the day, not steep and with some rather wonderful scenery to admire as the sweat rolls down. Pedal through Bramhope after this, and realise I cannot count. From Bramhope, King’s Road is another climb. Especially towards the end of a ride, legs were not impressed. Adel, Lawnswood and Headingley follow, down to Kirkstall for the bike tracks back through Leeds centre. Back across Victoria Bridge and finish that last lap to home, grin firmly in place. Thirty three miles, gorgeous weather, and a couple of thousand feet of up.

Hmm, the elevation trace shows a bit of downhill in Headingley . . .

24042020elev.jpg
24042020.jpg

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Solo loop this morning, Managed to catch every red light on route, so frustrating.:laugh: Was a nice ride not to many other cyclist's around, Seemed like a lot more cars around, just gets busier every day, But we are still free to ride so all is good.:cheers:
https://www.strava.com/activities/3345317079

Edit, I rode past a church earlier on, a couple had just got married, there was the bride and groom plus the photographer, It was nice to see in one way, but a bit sad in another. They looked happy though.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Looks like being the best day of the week and possibly the last really nice day of this spell of weather (forecast next week is cooler and showery) so I made the most of my ride this morning. Needed a change of scene so after starting off on the usual road to Longnor I went right instead of left at the crossroads and headed south to Hollyhurst, across the A49 to Dudgeley, Walkmills, Smethcott, Wilderley and Pulverbatch then returned through Longden, Exford's Green, Hunger Hill and over Lyth Hill via Little Lyth.

I wasn't quite as early as yesterday but still out in the cool morning air. There were people out walking and running but not as many this time. After turning southwards it got quieter still and my second crossing of the A49 was really easy. I thought I was going to have the lanes from Dudgeley to Leebotwood to myself but just at the end of the section met a couple of people walking their dogs and four vehicles. From Leebotwood to Wilderley though I didn't see a soul which was about five miles of bliss - just me and the wildlife.

Meeting a very large tractor on a narrow lane brought my reverie to an end though - I squeezed into the hedge and there was just room. At Pulverbatch there was the first walker I'd seen in miles then only a handful of vehicles on the nice sweeping descent towards Longden where there were a couple of people chatting by the post office.

I had the wind against me as I made my way to Hunger Hill, which slowed progress a little but probably not as much as my tired legs were doing. Just three cars parked up at Lyth Hill, then on my way down Lyth Hill Road someone had to go and spoil the mood of the ride by barging past the cars parked on their side of the road and making me shove right over to the kerb.:angry: What's so bloody important that you can't wait five seconds, especially at the moment?? (Bet he was only heading up the hill for a walk.:rolleyes:)

Apart from that a really good ride and I don't think I could have done much better locally for social distancing. Hardly anyone to say hello to and only three cyclists seen in the whole trip. It's funny to think that I'd usually pick this route when I didn't want/couldn't-find-the-motivation to go too far, but today it's the furthest I've been for about a month.

A tad over 26 miles at 14.1 mph average.

About as far south as I ventured today.

Genuinely deserted roads as I make my way between Smethcott & Wilderley.

A proper 'road' ride today. Out to Brentor and back.
Out toward Brentor, serious (for me) climbing up Butcher Park Hill, first time I've ridden it for a while.
Continue the slower grind up to the Lifton turn, and ride the switchbacks to Iron Railings Cross.
Right turn onto Haye Down, and climb steadily up to St Michael de Rupe on the tor.
Then a long, fast (40kph) down the Lydford road toward the turn at Burn Lane. Down Burn Lane, steeper, but MUCH slower. Too narrow and the surface is poor, very poor in places. A bit twitchy on 25s...
Cross the cattle grid to find four friends chatting in the approved 2m manner, stopped, said hi, had a drink, and carried on.
Out of burn Lane, right across the cattle grid, and on up through the village itself. Slow grind up to the main road, facing the house I used to live in.
Left, and climb back up to the church. Slowly.
This is around the 10-mile point, and maybe 65 to 70 percent so far has been climbing. But from now on, it's mostley wheeee, although the edge taken off by the bad road surfaces around here.
Turn to the Dartmoor Gliding Club, and follow the road easily around, then swoop down toward the A386 near Pitts Cleeve and join NCN27 for the run back into Tavistock.
Just failed to make it 15 miles - 14.93, avg 9.3mph, upness missing from MapMyRide data for some reason, which is a shame, because it was substantial!
Sorry, no pics again until i fix the fault with the PC card reader...
Edit: this takes me over 100 miles for the year!

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
One of the benefits of lockdown is to actually have some time to appreciate what’s on your doorstep.

Mrs Gunk and I cycled along the river into town again today. Saw this on the way, it’s even too far gone for me!

We locked up the bikes in the almost empty cycle hub

The roof of the Westgate, usually packed in this weather was eerily empty.

We then had a very pleasant walk around Christchurch Meadow

Last edited:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I wasn't going to go out today, but this prompted me to dig the Tricross out for a proper, un-battery assisted ride

Looks like being the best day of the week and possibly the last really nice day of this spell of weather (forecast next week is cooler and showery)

Kept to the flat and it was a joy just to pootle along in silence enjoying the sunshine.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The Fragrant MrsP and I popped into town with hybrids and the pannier bags for the three weekly shop, we avoided the traffic free route, too many solar powered idiots on it, we went on the back roads which are pedestrian free and very quiet at the moment. Just 7.22 of your imperial miles there and slightly wobbly way back.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
This morning I went up to Westlake via Yealmpton. I saw a Whitethroat atop a hedge.
From Westlake down to Ermington and through to Ivybridge. Then it was the road to Cornwood, followed by a new road to metro go to Harford. It was that new that I got it wrong and ended up at a dead end, all half mile of 14% of it!

Into Harford, a lovely little hamlet with a nice church, back down to Ivybridge, then home via Smithaleigh.
30 miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/3345218051

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Spent a bit of time working on both bikes today. Firstly, I removed my broken saddle from Bike no.1 and replaced it with my old Union Jack one. Hopefully I won't look too much of a Little Englander brexiteer type in the meantime. (The saddle is a San Marco Rolls leather saddle and is actually done out in red white and blue to commemorate the very first visit of the Tour de France to these shores). Then I attempted to fix the front mech on Bike no.2 and got so frustrated that I ended up removing it altogether, turning it into a fixie at the front and a 9-speed at the back.

Then I had to post a letter, and rode out to the sorting office on Bike no.2 ....... and just kept going. Ended up doing 17 miles, turning around at Saul and arriving home on exactly 300 miles for April. Amazingly, despite cutting the length of my rides right down during lockdown, I've found that by riding a little bit nearly every day, I'm on course for possibly my biggest ever monthly total. I'll leave you with a gratuitous shot of my no.2 bike, newly converted to a 9-speed:

Another great sunny evening.
Stay safe everyone. Donger.

Last edited:
Top Bottom