Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
Woke this morning to the realisation I should have been in Sweden and 2/3 round the Vatternrundon ( around lake Vattern) a 315km epic ride which with 5 extra miles was to be my first 200 miler smashing my previous best of 130 miles .But it was not to be :sad: .So a normal Saturday it is early food shop done and out the door by 10.00 to do my standard 50km loop out to St Bernards Abbey. Glorious conditions the sun :sun:breaking through the clouds and not much wind .The 2 big climbs of Sharpley hill and Oaks in Charnwood were dispatched in the big ring :training: .All those long winter hours getting ready for the event are paying me back . Did a extra bit coming home to Sileby . 36.7 miles with 1942ft of upness at 16.2 mph not quite the epic ride it could have been but it will do . Getting properly warm when I got home . Just having a cafe stop at home with a filter coffee ( which normally I can't be bothered to make ) and some cake :mrpig:

Just a short local loop for me today, to check out an 11-32 cassette on the Bianchi.

When I got home, the Bianchi Owners club Bidons I ordered, had turned up.

The 11-32 cassette is much nicer to ride with, than the 11-29, if there are any lumps in the route.

The last day of my week off work and a dry interlude between the rain, so I got out for a 50k in the blustery Easterly wind.

Out through Betton Abbots, to King St and then Atcham, Berwick Wharf, Upton Magna, Withington, Walcot, Isombridge, Longdon on Tern and Rodington.

The road to Roden was still blocked off with road closed signs and they really meant it today, as I got half way along to find lorries filling the road and tarmac being laid. No problem though, as there is another lane down to the main road, in the direction of High Ercall, where I joined the flow of traffic leaving a set of further roadworks and doubled back to Roden.

Continued on to Poynton, Bings Heath and up East Haughmond, back to Upton Magna, then retraced my steps to Atcham. The rat run between Berwick Wharf and there was completely car free in both directions, not had that before!

I then slightly varied the route back home, by taking the road to Cross Houses, a short section on the A458 and then lanes to Berrington and back around to Betton Abbots, then home.

One of those nice uneventful rides, other than almost hitting a rodent of some sort, at Poynton, which veered away at the very last second, as it was about to hit my front wheel!

33.81 miles at 13.6mph avg

Also, this took me past 1000 miles for 2020 and also past my total mileage for the whole of 2019, already!
Well done on the 1k :okay:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Bright and sunny today with lots of wind. The Fragrant MrsP and I have signed up for two virtual events that run from today the 13th June to the 12th of July. One is a 300k cycling challenge, the other 50ks of running to completed with in the next month. That should keep us motivated.

To kick it off, we did a bike ride today, a loop around the area taking us to Wallingford, where we stopped for a coffee, then to Brightwell cum Sotwell, then on to North Moreton again, along the edge of the Wittenhams, on to Clifton Hampden over the river Thames, on to, Culham, over the river again through Sutton Courtney , Drayton. At Steventon we noticed the bakers had reopened so a quick stop to have a cold pasty and some fizzy pop. After the refreshments we rode to Harwell Campus, Chilton, then down Hagbourne hill to edges of Hagbourne village, back to Upton and around the village to round up the miles. 30.15 today.

Wallingford town centre.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Very short ride this afternoon due to my getting lost in the hills. I turned off the main road into a single track and kept going uphill with gradients of 10% up to the top. To be honest, I walked some of them. When I got there, I had no idea where I was and couldn't be bothered to use the "take me home" option on my Garmin so I took the next turning going downhill . I had never gone so far down a steep hill on a single track road so I was constantly on the brakes, so much so that my hands were hurting after a bit. Anyway, I eventually got back to the main road and rode home with a mileage of only 13 miles, average speed: 9.3 mph thanks to those hills and the walking. The view from the top was great though with loads of sheep grazing in the fields.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Rode the 40km to see my parents for the first time since March today. It’s a fairly flat ride and I was aware of going well, no doubt aided by a small tail wind. I was amazed to record a 30km/h average when I have never beaten 26km/h before over the same route. Nice lunch and a beer in the garden at an appropriate distance then home in the wife’s car.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The Steventon bakery’s open?!😃
After a fashion, you buy stuff to take away, but no hot food. We bought a couple of things and had them outside on their garden furniture.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Spent several hours riding up every ascent of the North Downs ridge between Gangers Hill and Starhill road. There are 10 of them. Excluding the A233 cos it's horrible.

So many cyclists out on the roads! I was waiting for a while for a gap in the riders to join one road. It seemed like there was some kind of event on.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Spent several hours riding up every ascent of the North Downs ridge between Gangers Hill and Starhill road. There are 10 of them. Excluding the A233 cos it's horrible.

So many cyclists out on the roads! I was waiting for a while for a gap in the riders to join one road. It seemed like there was some kind of event on.
There was just a huge amount of cyclists out and about today everywhere. Nice weather brings them out.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I love seeing a lot of cyclists about. It wasn't the case during those February storms i must admit ^_^
Yes, I wasn't complaining, just observing. It was a lovely day for riding. I was out at 6:30 and it was really beautiful early on. Got a bit sweaty later.

Lots of car drivers were being suspiciously polite. Hmmm. They are probably plotting something.

Last edited:

JhnBssll

Guru
I rode over to my inlaws house today to meet my new neice for just the second time :wub: Also a fabulous opportunity to venture out again on the new Bianchi :okay: 31 miles through the rolling Suffolk countryside, followed by a BBQ in the sun :becool: A great way to spend a Saturday! It will be better still when I can get close to the family and hold the baby girl but that will have to wait for now :shy:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I needed an outing so I headed north for the lanes around Wichenford. The loop to Ockeridge set me up for the lovely ride along Camp Lane and the wonderful views over the Teme valley and Clee Hill. Next came the drop to the Teme and a pause on New Mill Bridge to take in the wagtails, swallows and sand martins doing their things. The climb out of the valley lead me through lanes and back to the Teme for my fourth crossing at Knightwick. Another climb away from the river was the only obstacle to a well used run home. Lovely little ride into some super countryside today. 46 smiles

Top Bottom