Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Nice easy ride to Safron Walden today. Lovely warm day. Slight wind, good company. Lunch in the park. Safron Walden was a bit to busy for my liking, but hey ho. People need to do what people need to do. Gave everyone a wide berth. Had a nice cold beer with a neighbour when we got home.
IMG-20200613-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20200613-WA0002.jpg

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/KiwHWfHai7

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I went for an evening ride for once and headed south towards Welwyn on a B road in nice sunny weather at 5pm. I got passed lots, mostly by roadies, I got very tired legs, (I'm so out of shape thanks to lockdown eating and drinking) but it was still a beautiful evening out. Just 25 hilly miles, with brooding skies accompanying me on the way home.
20200613_172612.jpg

20200613_183142.jpg

20200613_192501.jpg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I went for an evening ride for once and headed south towards Welwyn on a B road in nice sunny weather at 5pm. I got passed lots, mostly by roadies, I got very tired legs, (I'm so out of shape thanks to lockdown eating and drinking) but it was still a beautiful evening out. Just 25 hilly miles, with brooding skies accompanying me on the way home.
View attachment 529780
View attachment 529781
View attachment 529782
Good to see you putting some miles on that TdF ;)

Today was a good day!

Woke early after a late night but managed to get back to sleep again, so got up late after a decent amount of kip for once.. just in time for the postie to deliver my new cycling cap and pedals :smile:

After the standard breakfast of soft-boiled eggs on hippie bread I elected to put the new A600 pedals on the Boardman since they're less likely to get damaged given the less-frequent clipping in and out on the road, while if I miss I'm less likely to have to mash the wrong side of the pedal to keep going to avoid stalling and coming off on rough ground.

I'd half-planned to take the CdF out to / up Wittenham clumps, but decided to give the Boardman an outing instead on account of its new pedals and the fact it hadn't been ridden for about three months, while I was curious to see how it compared to the Genesis / how much faster it was given my improved fitness compared to when I last rode it.

Pedals adjusted to the usual lightest setting, new hat on and I was off; heading south / east to get the wind out of the way at the beginning of the ride. From the off the bike felt fast; probably on account of the lower bars and more aero position. The bars felt a bit odd at first, being unflared / narrower than those on the CdF and parallel to the ground on the drops rather than having a bit of an angle. The steering felt a bit more twitchy, the brakes heavy, a little sticky and lacking feel to an extent while the shifting to larger chainrings / sprockets was a good deal heavier.. but moving back to the rim-braked Tiagra (with 105 calipers) from the hydro-disc-braked 105 didn't feel as agricultural as I'd feared it might.

The skinny 25mm tyres seemed to give more road feedback than the 35mm jobs on the CdF, while the ride also seemed maybe a bit more supple - perhaps because of greater compliance in the CFRP frame, or maybe the lower "unsprung" mass of the bike making it less "crashy" over uneven ground when I'm out of the saddle.. who knows?

Without bottles the Boardman comes in at about 9.25kg IIRC while I think the Genesis is about 12.5kg; around a third more on the bike mass but only about 3-4% more when factoring in rider and ancillary mass.. and I can't say I noticed any stark difference in climbing ability between the two.

Anyway, it was out through Cumnor and Wootton (my new headgear sadly being removed as I was cooking already by this point), then a left to attack the benchmark (Foxcombe) hill. According to Strava I shaved 19s / 10% from my fastest time on the longer measure of the hill and 15s / 12.5% off the shorter / steeper sub-section. In the year between the two rides my mass has dropped by around 11kg / 14ish % so factoring in the mass of the bike it seems that the faster times could be explained by the mass saving alone rather than increased fitness. That said I certainly felt a degree of headwind at points so maybe that also played a part in diminishing the effect of any increased fitness.

Hill conquired (and breathing a bit covid-y for a bit afterwards tbh) I headed down through Bagley wood, Abingdon, Culham, Appleford, Brighton-cum-Sotwell, Mirkin-under-Bellfruit and into the uncharted territory of Wallingford (part three in the occasional series "stalking Elton Frog"). I spotted an accomplished-looking cyclist fixing a puncture and checked that he had it all in hand (which he had) as I passed. I continued around Benson and through Ewelme which marked a tipping point as the change in direction meant a tailwind and suddenly I was absolutely flying; maintaining 20-23ish mph with ease.

Around this point I happened upon a guy on some classic metal going slower than I was... usually I leave "more serious" looking cyclists alone if approaching from behind as I have to make an effort to get past them and then have to stay on it to avoid getting eaten for breakfast. In this case however there was a fair speed disparity so I passed him easily with a small wave of acknowledgement.

Evidently he took being passed by a life-size potato in swimming shorts on a plastic bike as a challenge and a bit later I checked over my shoulder to clock him right on my rear wheel. Rising to the challenge I gave it some stick to break away and drafted some old folk in their VW rollerskate, before overtaking them as they turned out to be quite fond of the brakes. Ironically (thanks to their evident dislike of speed / overtaking) they ended up stuck behind me around the outskirts of Benson until I turned off.

Having just checked Strava's flyby it seems my vintage nemesis was some way into an 80-odd mile ride so evidently had his reasons for pacing himself!

I continued North though Berrick Salome (having to brake to a near-stop thanks to the road being taken up by a daydreaming jogger and Chelea tractor coming the other way, side-by-side), on through Newington and Stadhampton.. at which point I stopped to consider my route and upon starting up again had to hammer the anchors pulling out of my gateway due to vehicle hooning it round a nearby poorly-sighted bend. To be fair to the guy driving he wasn't doing ridiculous speeds and he clearly clocked my annoyance; responding with a wave of apology / acknowledgement.. which was nice.

Onward through the Miltons, Wheatley, Stanton-st-John.. all the time the wind still at my back and dark clouds hanging in the sky but no rain (not that I'd have minded a bit of a shower to cool me down). I hung a left through woodeaton; at which point the wind started to bite again - threatening to hammer my average speed. I kept on it; passing a guy on the phone with a puncture and feeling a bit bad that I chose not to stop; however he was evidently arranging rescue and (on the face of it at least) could have avoided that for the sake of carrying three quid's worth of repair kit.

I opted to take the ring road as it was in the right direction relative to the wind, then Wolvercote, Wytham and home. All in all a really enjoyable ride with a cracking soundtrack (thanks again Thomas H!) that tbh yielded highs only really experienced otherwise when off my face at a decent club / festival.

By the time I got back I'd done a little under 54 miles and 1600ft at a mean of 17mph and 152bpm (nearly 50% zone 4) with 2500kcal burned.. both the speed and HR being unprecidented for me on a ride of this length :becool:

This was my third 50+ mile ride of the week (again, another first), bringing me so far to 158 miles for the week (not counting the un-recored 20-30 floating around town on the ofo in recent days) and 280 miles so far for the month.

I had mooted flogging the Boardman once I'd got the CdF; however today has proven that it has enough different / superior attributes to the Genesis to have earned its place in the fleet :smile:

Given the nature of today's ride no pics were taken.. and sorry for the unrelenting wall of text. I know people like photos so here's one of my dinner - which, while very much appreciated I was in no hurry for; which I think is thanks to the low carb diet..

IMG_0389.JPG

I'm hoping for maybe a gentle recovery ride tomorrow (Polar says I need 8+ days to recover!) on the Gensis; providing my legs and arse can take it.. unfortunately my neck and lower back have also suffered a bit (the Genesis has evidently spoiled me in this regard) but hopefully after a few stretches and a good night's kip they might be tolerable..

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Another easterly wind entertaining the wind farm so a variation on the return into the wind downhill approach for an evening ride on the Defy – west on the A59 to Kettlesing Head and then down to Hampsthwaite. On the A59 I was annoyed to hear a blast of a car horn from behind and responded accordingly to the car that passed, then another car after it had passed did it to the first car and shot pass it, so not sure what all that was about. On the down grade I had an interested spectator

Climbing out of Hampsthwaite via Hollins Lane a number of scarecrows with a caring / medical theme lined the road

13.06 miles @ 13.6mph avg 850ft climbed

delb0y

Legendary Member
Very pleasant 26 miles today. Notable for seeing a Jay, although I didn't know that's what it was until I got home, and a very pleasant little stretch on the tow-path, which is my favourite sort of cycling, not necessarily tow-paths, but away from traffic and yet not mountain-biking sort of stuff, which I'm not bouncy enough for.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Had a bit of epic ride to Slaidburn in the forest of Bowland this morning. 60 miles but 1600m of climbing. Went over Bowland knotts at 475masl and back over Cross ‘a Greet at 427masl. Loads of people out, normal levels of traffic, motorbikes and lots of cyclists. The latter helped pace me up the climbs! Gisburn forest MTB Centre was heaving with lots of vehicles unloading and a few close shaves with other cyclists. Pleased the cafe In Slaidburn was open for take away. Not sure these pics really do it justice. The first is looking back toward the coast from Cross o Greet, the second And third is looking toward Pendle from Bowland Knotts, the last is looking back to the Dales. At one point I had a great view of all of the three peaks.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Last couple of days have been very wet, over a months worth of rain fell in half an hour yesterday! I decided to head out though this afternoon, I was feeling cooped up. The rain had at least reduced down to a heavy drizzle. Headed out through the forest by the house, the temperature was in the low twenties and it was humid as hell. It's been dry as a desert here the last months, so the rain has been welcome and the paths, whilst wet, are not a complete mud bath. After a few kilometres I head off the main track and onto a short track that cuts through onto another main track, the way is overgrown and hard to see but I battle through.

The place is alive with bird song and not a soul to be seen as I ride on little travelled byways. For a short while I play cat and mouse with a Buzzard as it swoops and soars down the path ahead of me. The rain intensifies as I leave the forest for a few kilometres and head through a small village, then it's down past the horse paddocks and over the bridge by the Aller.

I swing back towards home on the other side of the river, alternating between gravel tracks and seldom travelled forest tracks. The rain and mud providing a nice alternative to the dusty conditions of the last months.

All in all, just 24 kilometres, in just over an hour. However, it was just great to be out enjoying some exercise in the fresh air. I'd better get out and hose the bike down now ^_^.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The Fragrant MrsP bought some camping equipment a couple of weeks ago in anticipation of us do a little cycling tour and camping. So we thought we’d load some of the stuff on the hybrids and go for a ride up The Ridgeway to how the bikes handled.

First we popped into the little Tesco to get some stuff for lunch, then back towards home and up the hills to the Ridgeway, we cycle 18 miles along the chalky, flinty, grassy, rutted, caked in mudded ancient byway, stopped had lunch, boiled some water for a hot cup of tea, then came back. Once we got to the edge of Wantage, we turned left off the track and down the smashing bit of single track for about 2.25 miles. In Lockinge we cycled back to home using the NCN 544 route, mostly quiet lanes and bridleways.
33.02 miles today, dry with dark clouds threatening rain.

EDIT: 1558.07 miles this year so far, which is more than the whole of last year.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A trip out with my brother this morning, which I also used as a test for the work done on the Kingpin yesterday. Doug had said he wanted to ride further so I offered the extended version of the Acton Burnell loop, on which we had options for various different distances depending on how he felt.

Within a few hundred yards of setting out it started to rain on us but thankfully it didn't last too long. After that it was reasonably warm and fairly humid so shorts and t-shirt was the right option this time. The A49 wasn't too busy and after a slow start we started seeing plenty of other cyclists out - I didn't try counting them but my impression is that it was nearly as busy as the recent Bank Holiday.

Getting to Longnor then Acton Burnell was all pretty straightforward. I think Doug was hoping he'd be a bit faster but he was getting on alright. An easterly wind meant it was against us for quite a while.

Just before the dip at Cound Moor there were three riders at the side of the road, one of whom was dealing with a puncture. I slowed and asked "Do you have everything you need?" and got the response "You don't have any tyre levers do you?" so we had a pause while he borrowed my levers to get the tyre off.

Doug felt up to doing the longer version of the route I'd picked out, so we took a right onto the nice straight after Cound Moor. It was into the wind but we still got along quite well, then it was helping as we doubled back towards Harnage. I couldn't see what the flag at Cound was today - an island nation with a design based on the Blue Ensign I think but it didn't move enough to tell which one.

We got on nicely to Berrington and back to Condover where we picked up a proper tailwind the rest of the way back.

I still don't have a speedometer on the Kingpin but Doug's showed just under 24 miles at the end, with 13.1 mph average. I think that's good going for an infrequent rider.

The new Sturmey Archer hub internals worked fine and the revised gearing (I changed the sprocket from an 18 tooth to a 17 tooth) seems to be a nice compromise between top speed and hill climbing ability.

I'm very glad we got out when we did. It has rained and thundered for a good bit of the afternoon.

A pause in our usual spot near Ryton.

I do prefer the look of the Kingpin with the front rack removed, and the handling seems better too.:okay:

Another drink stop between Acton Burnell and Cound Moor. You'd usually have a decent view from here but it was too misty today.

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
After a week of mainly flat rides, I found a free morning and headed for the hills.

First, up the brickworks from Pott Shrigley into the Peak District then down to Whaley Bridge. I recall the road to Chapel le Frith is flat, but of course it isn't, a slight uphill and into the wind the whole way.

From Chapel the climb of Peaslows awaits, the first time I've ever been up there, and it's straight, steep, long and hard work. I take a minor diversion down Perry Dale:

before rejoining the main road then over the top into a sapping head wind, and down Pin Dale to Castleton. The road is small and winding with a beautiful view of Castleton and Mam Tor...

... and unless you're there you can't see the cement works in the other direction!

Now the main event, the climb of Winnats Pass, a chasm cleft between the cliffs of ancient fossilized coral reefs. Inevitably, the sun emerges for the first time all morning literally as I cross the castle grid to start the climb proper.

Winnats is brutal, the sweat dripping onto my top tube, but my reward today is exceptional: a rare tail wind over Rushup Edge, which then has the perfect descent to Chapel: fast wide, sweeping bends and no need to brake the whole way down, averaging over 40mph.

A tad over 50 miles all told, 1500m climbing and very happy.

gavgav

Legendary Member
After regretting not venturing out yesterday, due to the forecast of Thunderstorms, which never materialised, this morning I decided to ride the bike over to Dad’s, to join my Brother and Nephew there, for an outdoor family chat.

The forecast did suggest there may be a shower, from early afternoon and so I put my light waterproof on, which it was a bit too warm for really, but I was well prepared just in case.......

Usual route over to dad’s, via Meole, Hook-a-Gate, Annscroft and Exfords Green. We sat outside, at social distance, despite Dad and I both qualifying for the Social Bubble allowance, as I still think it’s too soon for indoor stuff, and my Brother and Nephew soon arrived.

We had a pleasant hour and a half, chatting, enjoying some of Dad’s Birthday Cake, with a cup of tea, but it wasn’t overly warm sat outside. About 12:30 it started to go very dark, towards Church Stretton direction and so I had a check of the rain radar, on my phone. An immediate decision to depart, was made, with some very pretty colours showing over Cleobury Mortimer and heading our way!! So I departed and headed back via Gonsal, Condover, Betton Abbots and Sutton Farm.

I’d just finished putting the bike away, in the shed, when there was a clap of thunder and soon the heavens opened and we had storms for a couple of hours, so it was a good job I left when I did!!

15.61 miles at 13.6mph avg

KingswayRider

Über Member
Two rides. Yesterday I had the pleasure of @Dark46 's company, as we did a routine, flattish 23.4 mile loop through Haresfield and Whitminster and back to Quedgeley. Being less than 24 hours since I gave blood, the whole ride felt like it was slightly uphill all the way. Felt like I was about 10% down on energy or riding through treacle. Great company though, and an enjoyable chat and ride. Nice to get to ride with people again.

This evening, I went out again. This time with @KingswayRider . Another great social ride, planning routes and putting the world to rights as we headed off towards Stroud. Just before Stonehouse, we hung a left and started a beast of a climb up Horsemarling Lane up to Westrip. @KingswayRider made it to the top with annoying ease, past a hairpin and up a rutted, potholed track through the woods to the summit, where there were great views of the distant Severn. I may have overtaken a group of teenagers on mountain bikes on the climb, and made it 3/4 of the way up, but my lungs gave out and I had to walk the last quarter. After a steep descent from Westrip to Cashes Green, we made our way home via Leonard Stanley, Frocester and Frampton, finishing on 27.8 miles, and feeling a whole lot fitter than I did yesterday.

After more than 50 miles in my first two days since my donor session, I think I'll stay off the bike for a few days now. I have a big ride with @KingswayRider planned for Sunday, and I reckon I'd better start building up my energy and red blood cell levels for the weekend. Liver for dinner tomorrow, and I'm starting on the iron pills.

Enjoy your rides everyone. Cheers, Donger.
I don't know what all the fuss was about @Donger, that was a nice little climb. Good to be out, with good company, the sun was shining & the wind was calm. Nothing to complain about...but a pub stop would have been nice!

Top Bottom