Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KingswayRider

Über Member
Hmm... no reply from @Donger on messenger. I'm worried I may have broken him.

Great ride out today...in search of tiny lanes to make our way to Hanley Swan, then up the hill to Malvern (took a "refreshment break", then caught & passed @Donger, spun round at the top & back down to ride the last bit with him). Through West Malvern & the long drag to the top of the Malverns. Again, sat at my own pace & came back from the summit to locate @Donger & climb together. More tiny lanes followed on the way to Ledbury & the showers struck again. The wet roads also struck in the form of a front puncture & even having removed the offending piece of glass, the tubeless tyre was refusing to seal with just sealant, so banged in a tube. Through Ledbury towards Dymock & I think the final straw was the 20% gradient in Dymock Woods, with a drop back to find @Donger again. Split up at Newent, with me sticking to the planned route through Kents Green, Bulley & Highnam & @Donger taking the main road straight back through Highnam.
I rounded off the day with 73.77 miles & 1140m of ascent.

@Donger...I'll leave you to post some pictures.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A ride into southern Dartmoor. Basically Harford and Cornwood.
It was grey and dull upon the moor and sunny once back at the coast

https://www.strava.com/activities/3612853515

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
As already posted by @KingswayRider, the two of us went for an epic ride from just South of Gloucester to the top of the Malverns and back home via Ledbury and Newent today. The route was planned for me, so I didn't have to think too much, and I never needed the map I'd brought with me. Into @twentysix by twentyfive 's stamping ground today, and very lovely it was too.

We took all the less ridden by-ways instead of the obvious route to Malvern, taking in Pendock, Eldersfield, Castlemorton and Hanley Swan before climbing up through Malvern Wells and carrying on around the Malverns to Great Malvern. Then we climbed again through West Malvern to The Wyche for a photo op.

All the way up, I was grinding it out in the slow lane, while @KingswayRider climbed at his pace and regularly came back to make sure I was OK.
After descending towards Ledbury via Colwall Green, the P*nct*re fairy struck @KingswayRider 's tubeless front tyre, and the self sealing stuff didn't self-seal. This cost us a fair bit of time, but in honesty probably allowed me to recover from the climb .... as well as rendering me horsefly fodder for half an hour or so. Still, the views of the back of the Malverns were nice.

We came back through Ledbury:

.... and a few more minor lanes. Unfortunately this included Dymock Woods. True to form, as ever I had to get off and walk the brutal little climb up through the woods. I hate that hill. Don't know whether it is just that we only ever tackle it after our principal climbs, or whether I'd struggle on it anyway. The signage in one direction suggests 20%, which seems a bit of an exaggeration, while my buddy's satnav suggested only 8%, which is definitely wrong. Either way, I was wrecked.

By the time we hit Newent, I was happy to cut the ride short and make my own way back along the main road. A tactical stop at the Newent petrol station gave me the chance to top up my water bottle with energy drink from the chiller, and a Calippo went down really well too. A life saver. Took it easy on the way home and finished on 64 miles, getting home exactly 7 hours after setting off this morning. Allowing for the fl*t t*re, I'll count that as about six and a half hours. I'll take that, a week after giving blood.And it got me past 2,000 miles for the year so far too.

@KingswayRider was attentive and good company as ever, and came up with a cracking route this time. I am envious of @twentysix by twentyfive having such a great patch. No wonder he seems to be out every day.

Enjoy your rides everyone. Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
A quick scroll through this thread pre-posting appears to reveal some excellent photos (about which I'll read one I've vomited my own contribution onto these pages) - as always nice work folks :smile:

After yesterday's balls-out 54 miler anything today had to be sedate or bust.

I set off for an aimless afternoon mosey and found myself drifting north; deciding on the wrong side of Kidlington to double back and return via the tow path. This was all going fine until near Bletchingdon I decided to take an unknown route marked simply "Thames".. things quickly degenerated from there - the reasonably-well-maintained tow path giving way to a narrow, overgrown path flanked by moored boats and temporary "gardens" constructed from old car seats amongst other things; feeling very much off the beaten track.

Feeling much like I was trespassing on people's personal space I pressed on, the path eventually opening out into a nature reserve filled with tall grass and wild flowers; very nice although the path winding through it remained narrow and was bumpy as hell. Relieved to see what appeared to be a gate onto the nearby A40 I stupidly decided to instead follow the crap path through along the river. Eventually the distance, pitiful speeds involved and feeling of being slightly unwelcome by those who lived on the banks sank in and I yearned for escape from my self-imposed, bumpy hell.

I eventually found another set of gates and cut across to get closer to the A40; the road tantalisingly close but access denied due to the doubled-up barbed wire fence. I slowly ploughed through the untouched grasses, sending myriad butterflies, bees and the odd dragonfly scattering and making me feel a bit guilty to disturb them - however the destruction was minimal and it was nice to be amongst them; shame my anxious mindset didn't allow me to enjoy it more.

Heading back in the approximate direction from which I'd come along the A40 I was eventually extremely relieved to find a gate... albeit situated too high to just sling the bike over as I usually do. I wasn't going to miss this opportunity for escape so climbed over first then while stood on the 2nd or 3rd rung reached over and hauled the bike across; which wasn't as testing as I'd anticipated.

Extremely relieved to be back on familiar tarmac I returned home via Eynsham. Initially my goal had been to top 20 miles as that would be a new (recorded) mileage record. I'd have liked to have got to 42 as that would have meant 200 miles for the week, however after my impromptu off-road excusion my arse was killing me and my legs starting to complain, so I called it a day at a bit over 30 miles and 440ft of climbing at a leisurely 10.1mph and 99bpm.

Polar says 86% zone 1 and 14% zone 2; however according to the unit itself a large amount was actually sub-zone 1 (EDIT: bottom of zone 1 is apparently 98bpm so I was only just inside). I have managed a new (recored) weekly distance of 189 miles, putting me on 310 miles so far for the month and about 1430-odd for the year so far.

Apparently I've burned about 7.5k kcal this week which is around 45% on top of my estimated BMR... so I'm apparently burning around 1.5 times as much energy as I would be otherwise..

Sorry, no pics again due to mediocrity of subject matter / apathy / mild panic...

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
After some heavy rain last night it was dull and overcast this morning but still warm with light showers forecast for this afternoon. I set off on a different route starting off on my commuting route into Wem past work to Tilley, over the crossroads at Loppington to Brown Heath, English Frankton, Burlton, Marton, Weston Lullingfields, Bagley, Lee past Whitemere to Colemere, Newton, Welshampton, turned by the school to Breadon Heath, up a hill back towards Welshampton, down Rowe Lane to Hampton Bank, Northwood and home. Lots of cyclists out today including 3 tandems which is the most I have seen in one day and very little traffic. 33.47miles @16mph. Good idea to have gone this morning as the light rain shower turned out to be thunder, lightning and monsoon rain. Only one picture as it was too overcast to see the view, it’s a Methodist church in Lee and appears to be built from corrugated metal.
764B8C91-3D38-417B-B9B5-077A883BD944.jpeg

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I'm not going out for while!!!
I bought a second hand bike for youngest granddaughter and wanted to take her out for a short ride Tuesday evening. Unfontunately, on our weekend walk, down a Bridle path, I slipped on a muddy section, fell and I've dislocated my right elbow. Luckily no broken bones but it is strapped up with metal supports. I need to go back to fracture clinic a week on Monday.
So no gardening, cooking, washing up, hoovering, making bed etc.
Hope when it's in plaster I'll have a bit more movement.

gavgav

Guru
I bought a second hand bike for youngest granddaughter and wanted to take her out for a short ride Tuesday evening. Unfontunately, on our weekend walk, down a Bridle path, I slipped on a muddy section, fell and I've dislocated my right elbow. Luckily no broken bones but it is strapped up with metal supports. I need to go back to fracture clinic a week on Monday.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery

C R

Guru
Another Sunday, another ride. I had been thinking about two possible rides, about the same distance, but one with about half the climbing, which I finally went for, as I needed to be back by ten the latest. The forecast was for sunny intervals, little wind, and temperature going up from 13C, so ideal for a long ride.

Out at just past 6:30, to the A38 through Kempsey, continuing at Baynhall for a change, and on through Severn Stoke. There's a short, sharp climb our of Severn Stoke, and then a long descent past the garden centre at Earls Croome, up to the Pershore Rd, which I followed. This section of the A38 is quite flat, with a reasonable surface, I will probably use it again, if traffic stays quiet.

So left towards Pershore, past Baughton, cross the M5 for the first time today, and then a right to try a new lane to Strensham. There's a bit of down, and then up past Lower Strensham, which for some reason I expected would be bigger, and then the M5 again. I stopped just before the motorway crossing to take in the views. Looking north, there's the Malverns to the left
IMG_20200614_072550868~2.jpg

From here you can also see the radio telescope dish at Defford, but my phone camera is not good enough to capture it.

Over the M5 for the second time, through Upper Strensham, heading to Twyning past this chap
IMG_20200614_073455691_HDR.jpg

It had been sunny until now, but now clouds were coming in, but the tempetature was holding, and it was getting a bit muggy, though it wasn't even 7:30 yet.

The lanes were really quiet, and I think that all the way through Twyning and to the A38, I only passed one other person, plenty of birds, squirrels and rabbits, though.

Back on the A38, quick descent into Tewkesbury via the Mythe, and then a stop for a photo of my bike with the Avon
IMG_20200614_075256740_HDR~2.jpg

I think the bridge at the back may have been part of the railway line that used to run between here and Malvern.

Next was Bredon, crossing again the M5, but this time under, and then the gentle climb on through Bredon, Kemerton, Overbury an finally Conderton. Between Overbury and Conderton, a rider in a very nice Bianchi with aero bars flew past me. This is an ordinary occurrence, as I am quite slow, specially uphill, however, she seemed to blow out once she was about 30m ahead of me, and didn't increase the gap until we got to Beckford, were I stopped for a snack.

With energy replenished, headed for Ashton Under Hill. I got overtaken by another rider, but this time there was no blow out, and reached Ashton on my own.

Past Ashton, and on the way to Kersoe, I caught up with a guy riding a fat bike, with a small dog running along, this would normally not be necessarily very remarkable, but the dog was more interested in running across the road checking things in the verges than in following its owner, which made for an exciting overtake.

Once I managed to get past, the short climb to Kersoe came and went, and then the quick descent into Pershore via Elmley Castle and Little Comberton. Just out of Elmley Castle I caught up with another rider, who seemed to be just marginally slower than me. I drafted him for a bit, but then I decided to overtake. I got past quite easily, but then he caught my wheel, and we made it together to Pershore. We had a short chat, and it turns out we were going the same direction, though when I said I was going Holloway way he said he had had enough of climbs for the day, and would go round the main road.

As it turns out, I made it to the top of the Holloway just as he was going past, and I drafted him down Rebecca road, and all the way to Wadborough, were he went towards Station Road, and I carried on straight to go the long way round to Littleworth. I didn't see him again after that.

Made it home in under three hours total time, for a total distance of 42.9 miles, at a moving average speed of 16mph, which is a record for me, thanks in no small measure to my incidental riding partner.

Lovely ride, great workout, and it feels great seeing the improvement I am making.

The map
IMG_20200614_225154.jpg

Last edited:

MntnMan62

Über Member
Beautiful day for a ride. Sun is shining, temp is at 72 to 73 degrees F. Went out for my solo ride that I should have done on Friday, and then should have done on Saturday. Banged out 31.37 miles with 2,070 ft of elevation gain. 2:40 of actual ride time and 2:55 total time. I like to stop for some view breaks here and there. Feeling stronger. Logged my fastest speed at 11.7 mph. Getting stronger, little by little.

Mike_P

Guru
Sunday afternoon the Defy was back on the ABC trail, but first in the morning the ebike had a c.7mile round trip to Halfords to collect a new front reflector for the hybrid whose original had fallen off yesterday and broke whilst I was sorting the shifting of its rear derailleur. Traffic was about well back to pre lockdown levels and that’s without all shops all open… I tried to talk to another well distanced cyclist at a traffic light controlled junction but he could not hear me due to the traffic noise:sad:

First trip for the Defy along Bilton Lane since pre lockdown, it was fine in the week going to Lidl on the ebike , but today there were a number of CV19 close passes. Joined the A59 for the decent to Knaresborough hampered by a set of TTLs which were causing major tailbacks through the town

Followed the A59 east out of the town around a new roundbout for a field of houses and another set of TTLs for another roundabout being built. After crossing over the A1(M) turned off north to Whixley, where I was glad the Wahoo knew which way to go in the village, and then east to Thorpe Underwood where I collected a slightly wayward ABC “Q”; with a resident population of over 700 Queen Ethelburga's Collegiate is however larger than many villages, and its completely high walled grounds always strike me as being ideal baddies premises for a 007 film.

Further on stopped for a snack by Little Ouseburns somewhat isolated Church of the Holy Trinity and discovered I had with me the wrong charger for the Sportscams batteries:banghead:

Crossed over the River Ouse on Aldwarke Toll Bridge; I stopped midway convinced something had fallen off the bike but then realised it was the minor matter of loose nuts and bolts holding the wooden planks of its decking.

Plenty of cyclists either side including a couple of tandems. Headed via Alne and the fringe of Easingwold, with the flat landscape interrupted by the climbs, and all too short decents, of the bridges over the East Coast Mainline and the A19, to the ABC “R” of Raskelf

Here the Wahoo seemed to stop working, post ride I discovered a mistake on the route plotting which had caused a dead end trip down a narrow back lane. I had presumed that the Wahoo had routed down there rather the main road adjacent so headed incorrectly north-east to the A19 and north on that road through Thormanby with a noticeable climb which further confused me more as I had plotted a route with the “T” after the “S” (and actually not that “T”)

Eventually a road sign appeared for the “S” along with another “T” from which I knew the route so a change in plans was made and the intent to do the “U” scrubbed for the day. I stopped for another snack and found no flapjack, only its packaging in my pocket, looked down to see it sat on the ground; the mucky bits were removed as best as possible. That distracted me from the necessary attention to the Sportcam, the final battery went in but I completely forgot to change the SD card:banghead: The “S” was reached in the form of Sessay and there was a bike with lightbulbs threaded through its wheels and along the frame at the village entrance.

The next village was Dalton, I carefully followed the signs for the “T” not realising they were leading me in a big loop around the village centre and then reached the “T” of Topcliffe. SD Card now full so a resort to Google Streetscene https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.1789227,-1.3817498,3a,75y,264.1h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1seurGW0Ba9LN5gICLQin0HQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Over the River Swale and then through Asenby and Cundall to another “T” of Thornton Bridge which actually would have a made a shorter route from Sessay if I had realised. Through Milby to Langthorpe and the riverside park next to the River Ure (the Ure and Swale join together to form the Ouse) across the river from Boroughbridge. A wooden bench and seats formed a nice prop for the Defy to check the rear wheel as there was an annoying irregular ticking noise but the mech was clear of the spokes and the cable end well clear so a check of the chain and a good clean is on the cards.
A rare ride then followed all the way on the A6055 to Ferrensby and then home via Killinghall, during which the Wahoo worked out where it was and restarted giving directions. The decent to Farnham was a delight; it was the first of any note since Knaresborough.
58.03 miles @ 14.5mph avg, 2201ft climbed despite the general lack of elevation for a large part of the ride.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I haven't got any epic rides to report. I'm still just going out locally to do an hour or so over the local hills and valley roads. Very nice in the sunshine though - it is amazing how an hour of cycling on a sunny day can lift the spirits.

On yesterday's short ride I was on a gradual descent when I spotted @Svendo out walking with his family so I stopped for a chat with them from the opposite side of the road.

This (Sunday) evening I was coming back over the hilltop road between Hebden Bridge and Todmorden when I saw someone that I used to work with about 20 years ago. He was out walking with his wife and dog. I had another pleasant little chat from a distance. He has been doing some local cycling and said that he would like to increase his range in the future. I told him that he would be welcome to join us for post-Covid forum rides and maybe he will. Happily for me... he spotted the Planet X saddle on my bike and said that he has one which is surplus to requirements (doesn't suit his bum). He only rode it once or twice and will let me have it for £10, which is about half price. I am gradually replacing the saddles on all of my bikes with that type. They suit me and are cheap, especially when people let me have them at a decent discount. (3 of the ones I already own came from forum members and my 4th one was half price in a Planet X sale.)

Despite enjoying my short rides, I want to start doing some longer rides again. I will try to get some 50 km rides done in what is left of June and build back up to 100 kms in July.

13 rider

Guru
Get well soon . I rode through your village the other day and thought I not heard from Pete for a while

Top Bottom