Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Ill post my route onto the post ..... if you see what i mean .. the rail line is the northern section along Concord Park ...
Thanks. It's part of the TPT running alongside Blackburn Brook. I'll have to have a ride out that way as it's not far from me. Never been to Concord Park either so I'll have to pop in for a look-see.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I met up with Margaret PR to take the standard run out by Bromsberrow and Ryton for Dymock. The catch up chat was flowing well as we haven't seen each other since lockdown began. We took the Kempley dodge for Linton and rode the ridge to line us up for Barrel Lane and the climb onto May Hill. We took to our feet to reach the very top where the views are superb. Sarnies were dispatched before it was time to drop to Glasshouses. We took a lane I haven't ridden for many years which lead naturally to another unridden lane of a similar number of years. Then it was back to well used roads to Highleadon. This time we took the Blackwells End run to emerge at Pendock for the standard route back. Nice outing in mixed conditions and a super catch up with M. 67 smiles

PaulB

Legendary Member
I thought, sod it, I'll do one anyway. I rigged up a dressing that would be suitable - even though I'm not supposed to - and thought that would be infinitely preferable to an indoor ride. I went mainly around our local track until the pouring rain soaked the dressing which slid off leaving the manky helmet strap rubbing the wound so I called it a day and came home early. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/5172029810

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I thought, sod it, I'll do one anyway. I rigged up a dressing that would be suitable - even though I'm not supposed to - and thought that would be infinitely preferable to an indoor ride. I went mainly around our local track until the pouring rain soaked the dressing which slid off leaving the manky helmet strap rubbing the wound so I called it a day and came home early. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/5172029810
10/10 for effort though :smile:

Mike_P

Guru
EBike back on the Sainsburys run this morning, um..a lot of traffic queuing back from the traffic lights with the A61, flip - yet another set of TTLs; the queuing cars got through but by the time I got there they were back to red. Pulled up at the normal stop line only then to realise the TTL light was behind me:banghead: Shuffled the ebike backwards for a lengthy wait😴 should have used the cycletrack😷 Back on route it started drizziing :rain: and I contemplated making it a trip to Asda but decided to carry on, a motorist obviously had sympathy for the wetting I was getting and gave me right of way for a right turn:okay: Made it to Sainsburys with only two cleanings of the glasses needed. On the return it transpired later I had failed to restart Strava so quite how I did on showground hill will remain unknown although with around 3.2kg in the rucksack I doubt it was worth looking at. Avoided the TTLs on the return.

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
Checked the rain radar, after logging off from work and despite the ominous black clouds about, it looked mostly dry and so decided to risk it and get out.

The legs had loosened up a bit, from the hike I did with @Rickshaw Phil, on Monday, but could still feel the shins a bit as I set off down to Meole, where there was a queue to get over the narrow footbridge at social distance. Waited my turn and walked the bike over.

Turned onto the main road, at Nobold, to find they’ve been surface dressing over the past couple of days, all the way to the other side of Hook-a-Gate and so that necessitated a good deal of care on the looser patches.

Left the Chippens behind, on to Annscroft, Exfords Green and then called at Dad’s for a half hour chat in our bubble.

Return journey was via Ryton, Condover, Lyons Lane and Betton Abbots, where a few spots of very light rain started to fall, not enough to even wet the road though.

14.88 miles at 13.9mph avg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
The start of a new month and, with the day off work, a chance to get out and get a ride in for one of the Cyclechat monthly distance challenges. Yet again no fixed route, with just a plan to do the long loop round the Shotley peninsular and make it up from there.

It was bright & sunny when I started out, but quite breezy so I set out to get the worst of the head winds done in the first part of the ride. Usual Levington & Nacton roads into Ipswich and then out down the other side of the River Orwell down to Shotley Gate as it started to cloud over. Heading from there to Harkstead, Holbrook and on to Tattingstone. Usually from here I'd cross over Alton Water and head for the Belsted & Copdock areas, but this time I carried on to Bentley and under the A12 at Capel St. Mary to Great Wenham where one of the local farms had a most unusual product for sale
Alpaca Poo.JPG

Here I turned back towards Ipswich through Washbrook and, as it was still dry, I kept going to the west of town through to Claydon and round to the north through Westerfield, Bucklesham and home.

Thankfully, despite skies like these, all the rain showers passed further to the west & north so that the only times I got wet were from badly placed water cannons irrigating the crops in the fields.
Suffolk skies.JPG

One challenge down, two to go - https://www.strava.com/activities/3698377798
Screenshot_2020-07-01 Getting it in early Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2020-07-01 Getting it in early Ride Strava(1).png
1593642412367.png

colly

Re member eR
It's the morning of my sister in laws funeral and I went out about 6ish with no enthusiasm at all. With no plan or point I just wandered about on the bike. I feel better for getting out but will be pleased when the day is done.
15.8 miles and 1425 ft of up.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Went for a short and much needed mental health ride last night.. nowt special or particularly noteworthy; out east through town, down the Thames path a bit towards Abingdon until I got sick of the rough ride, back through Radley and the tow path, north from the city centre to Wolvercote, back across Port Meadow and home.

Felt instantly better as soon as I stepped out of the house with the bike, and much improved once home again. Only suffered one close-pass idiot on the Woodstock road, cyclists and pedestrians generally friendly with the usual few muppets.

The city centre looked pretty desolate with the absence of tourists and drinkers making the budgeoning homeless population even more conspicuous. Got approached by a homeless guy again at the cashpoint but shot him down straight away; deflecting him instantly to ply his numbers game elsewhere.. feels callous to do so but I'm not in a great financial situation myself and any donations are 95% certain to go on drink or smack anyway :sad:

21 miles with minimal elevation gain at 13.2mph and 127bpm for about 900kcal burned.

Had pencilled in a mooch to / around Whittenham Clumpst today but I seem to be in a perpetual state of aching and saddle-soreness, while I slept badly last night and it looks pretty grey / windy / forboding outside.. struggling to face another day trapped inside though.

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Mucky weather yesterday, and I was not brave enough to find out if I would enjoy it. So me and the geared bike went out today, when the forecast was not so dismal.

A hundred yards past the awkward right turn, I remembered it. Other routes are available, still crossed the Aire on Crown Point Bridge and then wended my way up to Oakwood, and more up to cross the Ring Road on the road to Wetherby. Which I soon turned off, left onto Whin Moor Lane, a road that changes its name before reaching Shadwell. There to Slaid Hill the breeze was noticeable but once turned right at the lights that breeze was an extra push all the way to East Keswick.

And the Potts clock is still stopped there. I do wonder what is amiss, will ask a local when I see one. Anyway, climb out of the village and find the A659 again, turn right towards Collingham, then left to cross the Wharfe on Linton Bridge. Past the pub, the Windmill I think, and straight on to Wetherby where I rode back across the River Wharfe and then negotiated the roundabout and onto the A58, heading back to Collingham. And once there, turned left onto Jewitt Lane.

The last bit of the video there is a click or a creak to be heard. This has been on both bikes now for a week or three, always at the same part of the crank rotation. Thought it must have been the shoes, checked the cleats and found one sort of sharp edge on the right hand (foot) one. Silent on the fixed, still there on the other bike. Spray of WD40 on the pedals at month end maintenance and this morning no click. Except on the video. Keep looking.

East Rigton next, along this little lane that always feels like the top of the world, views a bit rained on this morning. But still worth a look at! Milner Lane gives a brisk descent before reaching Thorner, at the junction I saw a bus coming down Church Hill. Not wanting to be in the way, I turned right onto Carr Lane. Really, it is a while since I have ridden up this, time for another go.

Only as far as the A58, yet again. Turn left on there, and left again onto Coal Road, ‘cos I could. Red Hall Lane back to the A58. Which very conveniently takes me back most of the way into Leeds centre. Back across the Aire, and I noticed the weather had become dry again. Not that it matters, home and a shower is now close, no wonder I have a smile. Ah, the numbers. Thirty three miles and 2101 feet of up. An extra one always feels better.

Ups, downs and sideways. Not quite Over, Under, Sideways, Down. Anyone remember what year the Yardbirds did that one?

03072020.jpg

0307elev.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Mrs 26 was up for an outing. So we headed for her favourite hill by way of the Suckley Hills and Linley Green. She enjoys her hill so much she gets off to walk just so she can spend more time on it. Emerging at Sandy Cross it was easy to Edvin Loach with it's ruined Norman Church. It makes a super picnic spot. It began to get cold and some drops of rain fell. Hardly any rain but the temperature plunged. We put all our spare kit on. We kept going by Edvin Ralph and on to Bromyard where Mrs 26 decided to head straight back. I took to the Frome valley and was soon warm enough to take my jacket off. Halmonds Frome always test the legs but it's a lovely run back by Bosbury and the Wyche. Nice wee outing for two in superb countryside. 45 smiles

galaxy

Veteran
A dark, blustery ride out to Harlow Hill p[ast the reservoirs on the old Roman Road towardsChollerford but turned towards Matfen after the Corbridge junction, to get the tail wind all the way home! Just over 27 miles in an hour and a half- wind assisted! View attachment 533401
I loved cycling round the area as a teenager, takes me right back. A lot of Sunday morning club runs went that way.

galaxy

Veteran
Mrs 26 was up for an outing. So we headed for her favourite hill by way of the Suckley Hills and Linley Green. She enjoys her hill so much she gets off to walk just so she can spend more time on it. Emerging at Sandy Cross it was easy to Edvin Loach with it's ruined Norman Church. It makes a super picnic spot. It began to get cold and some drops of rain fell. Hardly any rain but the temperature plunged. We put all our spare kit on. We kept going by Edvin Ralph and on to Bromyard where Mrs 26 decided to head straight back. I took to the Frome valley and was soon warm enough to take my jacket off. Halmonds Frome always test the legs but it's a lovely run back by Bosbury and the Wyche. Nice wee outing for two in superb countryside. 45 smiles
I cycled round Edwin Ralph Chruch the other week, lovely and not to far from home to make a nice circular route.

Top Bottom