Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I cycled round Edwin Ralph Chruch the other week, lovely and not to far from home to make a nice circular route.
It is lovely round there. Last time I went down to Edwin Ralph Church for a look and then rode to the end of that dead end. There's a bridleway there which takes you to Edvin Loach I think. My narrow tyres and the soft grass meant I didn't follow through.

gavgav

Guru
July Half Century Challenge ride done, on a very muggy and windy day, which unfortunately also coincided with all the moron’s being out on the roads.

Set off through Sutton Farm, where Moron number 1, woman in a Ford, decided to overtake me, despite me having my arm clearly out, signalling a right turn and pulling to the centre line, in plenty of time for the junction.

Then along Wenlock Rd, learner driver goes past me with about an inch to spare! If they were on their test, then they’d failed, if it was a lesson then the instructor needs to point out the relevant section in the Highway Code to her.

This had really not set me off in a good mood, but continued on through Betton Abbots, then to Atcham, where, crossing the bridge, Moron number 3 passes me squeezing between the car coming the other way, when I was signalling to turn left and they were turning right. Why can’t you wait just 5 seconds?!

Was nice to have the wind behind me to Berwick Wharf, Upton Magna, pub there not opening until 28th July, so the sign says outside, Withington (pub there was just opening the doors), Isombridge and Longden on Tern, where I turned into the wind and found how strong it was. The Tayleur Arms was open and had a handful of cars in the car park.

The main road section to High Ercall, was busy and had moron number 4 overtake me and almost wipe a car out coming in the opposite direction, before I turned onto the lanes to Osbaston, Ellerdine and Ellerdine Heath. It started to rain and got quite heavy, for 20 minutes or so, but didn’t bother with the waterproof, due to how muggy it was and fear of boiling in the bag.

It was hard work on the climb to High Hatton, being into the wind, crossed the A53 with ease and then, on the lane to Stanton upon Hine Heath, I wondered if I’d arrived on Barmouth Beach, as it was covered in sand all along it, making it tricky to stay upright in a couple of the deeper places. A sign of the recent monsoon season.

At Stanton, the pub was open and looked fairly busy, as I went through the village and out to Moreton Corbett Castle, which looked popular with visitors. The main road to Shawbury was quiet, until unfortunately Moron number 5, woman in Range Rover, decides to overtake me in the 30mph zone, into the path of an oncoming car, horn blasted and then because she was approaching the big speed humps, with her wheels about to go over the worst bit, decides she’d rather pull left and almost knock me off instead. I had to swerve to the kerb and stop, she was that close.

The lanes to Poynton and Roden were quiet, then turned onto the main road and was intending on heading to Rodington, but after stopping at the lights and going through the roadworks, I found the lane I wanted was still closed, a month after I’d last found the same. The sign says until 26th July, must remember that! So I did a u-turn, back through the lights and along the main road to Haughmond, encountering Moron number 6, who overtook me, with a car coming the other way again, more blasting of a horn!

Turned up East Haughmond and whilst climbing I was flagged down by another cyclist, who needed directions towards Wellington. They were lost and on the wrong road and so I did my best to explain to them how to get where they needed to be, before I arrived back at Upton Magna and retraced my steps to Atcham. Moron number 7 overtaking me with inches to spare, in a Transit.

Crossed the old bridge, this time and on the lane to Chilton I found that the hedge cutter had been through, since I’d come down this way earlier, which meant debris all over the road and praying that I didn’t pick up a puncture. I found them on the hill and had to wait by the junction for them to finish cutting a section.

Final stint was back through Betton Abbots and home with 40.7 miles on the clock, at 13.4mph avg.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Blowing a gale today, at least it was warm. I took a fairly traditional route out but took a variation by Greenhill to pop out at Ridgeway Cross. Then it was a new lane to bring me back to the usual lanes. I ummed and ahhed about what to do at Coddington Cross. The lane to Pegs Farm won with a climb to Wellington Heath after. I stopped at the top to admire the wildflowers in the graveyard spying some orchids in the process. Then down to Bromsberrow for a climb over White Leaved Oak but an unusual right turn to take me to Rye Cross and a wind assisted run back. Enjoyable variations on a standard route today. 45 smiles

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Naff all going on again today; most of which has been spent achey and unmotivated on the sofa.

Decided to have a gentle mosey into town just to get out of the house and the legs working. Got all the gear on and after dragging the CdF out of the front door found the front tyre nearly flat and mudguard well pished... I think the tyre may have been because I didn't screw down the collar properly on the valve stem before refitting the cap (although if this is the case the timing is somewhat odd), while the mudguard was doubtless due to some obstacle encountered on my last ride.

Bent the guard's bracket back (a bit concerned by how much of this behaviour it'll tolerate) and dropped the deformed plastic stay end-caps into some hot water to get them back in shape. Tweaked the mountings, refitted everything, put some air in the tyre and finally got under way.

It was drizzly but this was tolerable and fairly refreshing in the otherwise muggy air; with the gusting wind occasionally eliciting some mild terror as it pushed me around on the road.

I've not been into town on a Saturday for a long time, but relatively speaking it seemed pretty busy :rolleyes:

Some pubs are open, some aren't... the few Wetherspoons I passed were maybe half-full at five or sixish (tbh I expected them to be busier) with some of the smaller, nicer venues having more people outside. The atmosphere generally seemed good, although the night is young!

Ended up doing about 20 miles with a bit of a dinner crisis and subsequent visit to my favourite purveyor of burgers on the way home :smile:

Now basking in the afterglow of an increasingly necessary-feeling carb-hit, although I'm sure I'll be regretting it soon enough..

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
Windy here as well and fairly warm so planned a ride which would avoid too much time on busier roads as I don’t like getting blown around into the traffic. Started off to Northwood, Whixall,over the canal to Fenns Bank, Fenns Wood back over the canal to Alkington, Tilstock, back into Whixall , Coton Wood, Coton, Prees crossing the railway line back to Coton, past The Dog and Bull pub which looked busy, Abbeygreen, Waterloo, Edstaston, Ryebank into Wem and over the railway line again past the cricket club to Aston, Barkers Green, back to Wem, Tilley, Nonely, Commonwood, Loppington where the pub also looked quite busy, Wolverley and home. Lots of people out today and more traffic than I usually see although it sounds like all the bad drivers were in Shrewsbury. 34.2miles @15.9mph.

Shropshire65LW

Today’s morning ride .only a short one before lunch , took in a Gravel track will upload a video later

Attachments

• F16526CC-1EFD-4093-80D4-B7E6166F2DA9.jpeg
    F16526CC-1EFD-4093-80D4-B7E6166F2DA9.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 3

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Mrs 26 left the car at the southern end of the hills. It was abandoned overnight and seems to have slept well in strange surroundings. Anyway I was deputised to collect so I had a wee ride around. 22 smiles in very windy conditions

footloose crow

Über Member
4 July An abrupt ending

The physical shock, the sheer visceral experience of hitting granite at 20mph is hard to describe. The pain comes in a few seconds. At first it is just a feeling of shock. What happened?. Being unable to breathe for a few seconds. The world goes quiet and then with the tidal wave of pain come voices. Faces appear. I stand up and then quickly sit down. I know something is wrong. I can feel the bone ends grating.

It started badly. After I had pushed the bike up the half mile 20 per cent hill at the bottom of which I reside in splendid isolation (the delivery drivers describe it more prosaically) and then gone another two miles back down another long hill, I wondered why my eyes were watering. I reached up to check my glasses. No glasses. Worse, patting my head reveals no helmet either. I have a legendary capacity for day dreaming and not noticing stuff. Hmmm...go back up the hill, down to the house and then repeat the walk uphill again? Or take a chance? It is short route on quiet roads - just 15 miles. I press on.

The back lanes are indeed very quiet despite police warnings about holiday traffic. After ten miles I have seen three cars. The roads are wet after days of rain with a thin layer of mud where tractors have come off the fields. The bike gets dirtier.

I stop for a photo and text Madame Crow to assure her all is well. I wonder how I will sneak home without her discovering the lack of helmet. Despite the wind and rain showers the ride is good. I am not rushing. Enjoying the scenery. The hills are getting easier after three months of cycling 600 miles and 50000 feet a month. We are off to France for cycling and campervanning in few days. No return ferry booked. See how it goes. I am looking forward to warm, empty, smooth roads.

Up the penultimate hill and down the other side, thinking about France, thinking about whether to try for a Strava PB on the way home. A bend ahead. Not even conscious of pedalling. A white van fills the road suddenly and I need to squeeze down the side. Everything happens quickly now. One second I am on a bike. The next I am lying on the ground about three metres in front of the bike. I try to process my memories. I braked. The wheels locked. I couldn't slow. I hit the gravel at the side of the road and then into the hedge as the road bent and I went straight. All so fast. Brutal.

The van has stopped. I tell the driver that my collar bone is broken. I am holding my right arm tight to chest. My ribs hurt. Breathing hurts. The pain is intense. The van driver puts me in his front seat and the bike goes in the back. I feel every bump in the road,

We arrive at my house and I can't move. Madame is white faced. I don't know what the van driver told her. I am soaking wet. Madame cuts my new Jersey off me and then it is the urgent care centre in Truro. Three hours, two X rays; I move up the hierarchy of doctors until I need a consultant. The bones don't meet. Sent home with painkillers and an appointment om Monday. On RidewithGPS I can see I was doing 22mph and then zero. Thats why it hurt then.

Madame Crow is fussing about where my helmet is and do I need new one? I confess. Hell hath no fury like a woman whose explicit instructions are ignored.

This morning I texted my cycling friend with the story, the possible need for surgery and that I had inspected the bike and it seemed OK.

'Glad the bike OK' he replied.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Had a frustrating day on admin so no bike ride on this blustery day [42mph winds from the west] - today would've been a good day to ride out to Hexham...

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
4 July An abrupt ending

The physical shock, the sheer visceral experience of hitting granite at 20mph is hard to describe. The pain comes in a few seconds. At first it is just a feeling of shock. What happened?. Being unable to breathe for a few seconds. The world goes quiet and then with the tidal wave of pain come voices. Faces appear. I stand up and then quickly sit down. I know something is wrong. I can feel the bone ends grating.

It started badly. After I had pushed the bike up the half mile 20 per cent hill at the bottom of which I reside in splendid isolation (the delivery drivers describe it more prosaically) and then gone another two miles back down another long hill, I wondered why my eyes were watering. I reached up to check my glasses. No glasses. Worse, patting my head reveals no helmet either. I have a legendary capacity for day dreaming and not noticing stuff. Hmmm...go back up the hill, down to the house and then repeat the walk uphill again? Or take a chance? It is short route on quiet roads - just 15 miles. I press on.

The back lanes are indeed very quiet despite police warnings about holiday traffic. After ten miles I have seen three cars. The roads are wet after days of rain with a thin layer of mud where tractors have come off the fields. The bike gets dirtier.

View attachment 534302

I stop for a photo and text Madame Crow to assure her all is well. I wonder how I will sneak home without her discovering the lack of helmet. Despite the wind and rain showers the ride is good. I am not rushing. Enjoying the scenery. The hills are getting easier after three months of cycling 600 miles and 50000 feet a month. We are off to France for cycling and campervanning in few days. No return ferry booked. See how it goes. I am looking forward to warm, empty, smooth roads.

Up the penultimate hill and down the other side, thinking about France, thinking about whether to try for a Strava PB on the way home. A bend ahead. Not even conscious of pedalling. A white van fills the road suddenly and I need to squeeze down the side. Everything happens quickly now. One second I am on a bike. The next I am lying on the ground about three metres in front of the bike. I try to process my memories. I braked. The wheels locked. I couldn't slow. I hit the gravel at the side of the road and then into the hedge as the road bent and I went straight. All so fast. Brutal.

The van has stopped. I tell the driver that my collar bone is broken. I am holding my right arm tight to chest. My ribs hurt. Breathing hurts. The pain is intense. The van driver puts me in his front seat and the bike goes in the back. I feel every bump in the road,

We arrive at my house and I can't move. Madame is white faced. I don't know what the van driver told her. I am soaking wet. Madame cuts my new Jersey off me and then it is the urgent care centre in Truro. Three hours, two X rays; I move up the hierarchy of doctors until I need a consultant. The bones don't meet. Sent home with painkillers and an appointment om Monday. On RidewithGPS I can see I was doing 22mph and then zero. Thats why it hurt then.

Madame Crow is fussing about where my helmet is and do I need new one? I confess. Hell hath no fury like a woman whose explicit instructions are ignored.

This morning I texted my cycling friend with the story, the possible need for surgery and that I had inspected the bike and it seemed OK.

'Glad the bike OK' he replied.
:eek:

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Top Bottom