Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Sounds almost a mirror image of mine 6 years ago. Fast downhill with sheep grazing on open land and 2 suddenly decided at the last minute that they would prefer the other side of the road. Hit one square on. Just remember braking as hard as I could, hearing the tyres skidding on the tarmac, then like you say, that awful smack as you hit the road and know you've done serious damage. Mine was in 3 bits and now has a titanium plate and 8 screws in. Here's hoping yours is a straight break and will knit back easier. Big hugs:hugs:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
All the best @footloose crow . Written with great humour again. Didn't know whether to give it a "like" a "sad", a "wow" or a "laugh" emoji. Looking forward to you being back on the bike and posting more of these great write-ups.

pawl

Legendary Member
Sounds almost a mirror image of mine 6 years ago. Fast downhill with sheep grazing on open land and 2 suddenly decided at the last minute that they would prefer the other side of the road. Hit one square on. Just remember braking as hard as I could, hearing the tyres skidding on the tarmac, then like you say, that awful smack as you hit the road and know you've done serious damage. Mine was in 3 bits and now has a titanium plate and 8 screws in. Here's hoping yours is a straight break and will knit back easier. Big hugs:hugs:

Mine was a straight break Consultant kept telling me a straight forward break usually heals without intervention Three months later and numerous x rays he decided it wasn’t going to heal

He estimated that I had 90%mobility Advised me that he would not recommend me for an operation as he could not guarantee it being a success and at my age 75 there would be a risk with anaesthetic,Didn't seem impressed I had gone through open heart surgery for replacement aortic valve aged 73

All through my consultations I got the impression that he thought I was a bloody fool cycling at my age.Contrast that with my heart consultant You should get the all clear to start cycling again after eleven weeks after the sternum has healed ,I would advise you don’t try the TDF

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
4 July An abrupt ending

The physical shock, the sheer visceral experience of hitting granite at 20mph is hard to describe. The pain comes in a few seconds. At first it is just a feeling of shock. What happened?. Being unable to breathe for a few seconds. The world goes quiet and then with the tidal wave of pain come voices. Faces appear. I stand up and then quickly sit down. I know something is wrong. I can feel the bone ends grating.

It started badly. After I had pushed the bike up the half mile 20 per cent hill at the bottom of which I reside in splendid isolation (the delivery drivers describe it more prosaically) and then gone another two miles back down another long hill, I wondered why my eyes were watering. I reached up to check my glasses. No glasses. Worse, patting my head reveals no helmet either. I have a legendary capacity for day dreaming and not noticing stuff. Hmmm...go back up the hill, down to the house and then repeat the walk uphill again? Or take a chance? It is short route on quiet roads - just 15 miles. I press on.

The back lanes are indeed very quiet despite police warnings about holiday traffic. After ten miles I have seen three cars. The roads are wet after days of rain with a thin layer of mud where tractors have come off the fields. The bike gets dirtier.

View attachment 534302

I stop for a photo and text Madame Crow to assure her all is well. I wonder how I will sneak home without her discovering the lack of helmet. Despite the wind and rain showers the ride is good. I am not rushing. Enjoying the scenery. The hills are getting easier after three months of cycling 600 miles and 50000 feet a month. We are off to France for cycling and campervanning in few days. No return ferry booked. See how it goes. I am looking forward to warm, empty, smooth roads.

Up the penultimate hill and down the other side, thinking about France, thinking about whether to try for a Strava PB on the way home. A bend ahead. Not even conscious of pedalling. A white van fills the road suddenly and I need to squeeze down the side. Everything happens quickly now. One second I am on a bike. The next I am lying on the ground about three metres in front of the bike. I try to process my memories. I braked. The wheels locked. I couldn't slow. I hit the gravel at the side of the road and then into the hedge as the road bent and I went straight. All so fast. Brutal.

The van has stopped. I tell the driver that my collar bone is broken. I am holding my right arm tight to chest. My ribs hurt. Breathing hurts. The pain is intense. The van driver puts me in his front seat and the bike goes in the back. I feel every bump in the road,

We arrive at my house and I can't move. Madame is white faced. I don't know what the van driver told her. I am soaking wet. Madame cuts my new Jersey off me and then it is the urgent care centre in Truro. Three hours, two X rays; I move up the hierarchy of doctors until I need a consultant. The bones don't meet. Sent home with painkillers and an appointment om Monday. On RidewithGPS I can see I was doing 22mph and then zero. Thats why it hurt then.

Madame Crow is fussing about where my helmet is and do I need new one? I confess. Hell hath no fury like a woman whose explicit instructions are ignored.

This morning I texted my cycling friend with the story, the possible need for surgery and that I had inspected the bike and it seemed OK.

'Glad the bike OK' he replied.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery

AndreaJ

Veteran
4 July An abrupt ending

The physical shock, the sheer visceral experience of hitting granite at 20mph is hard to describe. The pain comes in a few seconds. At first it is just a feeling of shock. What happened?. Being unable to breathe for a few seconds. The world goes quiet and then with the tidal wave of pain come voices. Faces appear. I stand up and then quickly sit down. I know something is wrong. I can feel the bone ends grating.

It started badly. After I had pushed the bike up the half mile 20 per cent hill at the bottom of which I reside in splendid isolation (the delivery drivers describe it more prosaically) and then gone another two miles back down another long hill, I wondered why my eyes were watering. I reached up to check my glasses. No glasses. Worse, patting my head reveals no helmet either. I have a legendary capacity for day dreaming and not noticing stuff. Hmmm...go back up the hill, down to the house and then repeat the walk uphill again? Or take a chance? It is short route on quiet roads - just 15 miles. I press on.

The back lanes are indeed very quiet despite police warnings about holiday traffic. After ten miles I have seen three cars. The roads are wet after days of rain with a thin layer of mud where tractors have come off the fields. The bike gets dirtier.

View attachment 534302

I stop for a photo and text Madame Crow to assure her all is well. I wonder how I will sneak home without her discovering the lack of helmet. Despite the wind and rain showers the ride is good. I am not rushing. Enjoying the scenery. The hills are getting easier after three months of cycling 600 miles and 50000 feet a month. We are off to France for cycling and campervanning in few days. No return ferry booked. See how it goes. I am looking forward to warm, empty, smooth roads.

Up the penultimate hill and down the other side, thinking about France, thinking about whether to try for a Strava PB on the way home. A bend ahead. Not even conscious of pedalling. A white van fills the road suddenly and I need to squeeze down the side. Everything happens quickly now. One second I am on a bike. The next I am lying on the ground about three metres in front of the bike. I try to process my memories. I braked. The wheels locked. I couldn't slow. I hit the gravel at the side of the road and then into the hedge as the road bent and I went straight. All so fast. Brutal.

The van has stopped. I tell the driver that my collar bone is broken. I am holding my right arm tight to chest. My ribs hurt. Breathing hurts. The pain is intense. The van driver puts me in his front seat and the bike goes in the back. I feel every bump in the road,

We arrive at my house and I can't move. Madame is white faced. I don't know what the van driver told her. I am soaking wet. Madame cuts my new Jersey off me and then it is the urgent care centre in Truro. Three hours, two X rays; I move up the hierarchy of doctors until I need a consultant. The bones don't meet. Sent home with painkillers and an appointment om Monday. On RidewithGPS I can see I was doing 22mph and then zero. Thats why it hurt then.

Madame Crow is fussing about where my helmet is and do I need new one? I confess. Hell hath no fury like a woman whose explicit instructions are ignored.

This morning I texted my cycling friend with the story, the possible need for surgery and that I had inspected the bike and it seemed OK.

Best wishes and hope you have a speedy recovery.

AndreaJ

Veteran
Still windy here but died down a bit mid morning so got out quickly before the forecast 40mph gusts this afternoon. Out to Wolverley, Loppington, Nonely, Burlton, English Frankton, Colemere, Lyneal, Welshampton, Hampton Bank, Northwood where the only idiots of the day, on motorbikes passed closer and much faster than was really necessary and back home. 21.45miles @15.9mph. Picture of some lovely Highland cattle between Colemere and Lyneal.
0871E494-4FB2-4946-BC47-8D3D09B8F7F5.jpeg

E7ADC3DA-5795-49D3-BDDA-0D429DEA23E7.jpeg

13 rider

Guru
4 July An abrupt ending

View attachment 534302

Get well soon . The lanes certainly offer some interest challenges . I really take any blind descents carefully after a near miss almost as you described coming round a bend and a van is completely filling the lane :ohmy:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
4 July An abrupt ending

View attachment 534302

Ouch. All the best FC - GWS (can’t ‘like’ that ! )

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A 64 miler here today back to north Norfolk.

2 miles in- the two churches in Swaffham Prior (one almost hidden behind the tees).

On the border. Front wheel in Norfolk, rear in Cambs. This lane, parallel to the A10, but on the other side of the river is great for cycling. I rode it as far as Ten Mile Bank then on to Hilgay.

River Ouse

West Dereham Church. No bench, but a handy tap for water bottle refill!

Some lovely Norfolk lanes. I was lucky with a rare tailwind all day. This is near Barton Bendish, my 2nd favourite Norfolk village name after Stratton Strawless.

the (distant) deer of Houghton Hall.

Finally, after about 6.5 hours, I reached my destination of North Creake near Wells. A great day in the saddle.

Last edited:

ruffers

Veteran

2 miles in- the two churches in Swaffham Prior (one almost hidden behind the tees).

View attachment 534383

On the border. Front wheel in Norfolk, rear in Cambs. This lane, parallel to the A10, but on the other side of the river is great for cycling. I rode it as far as Ten Mile Bank then on to Hilgay.

View attachment 534384

River Ouse
View attachment 534385

View attachment 534386

Some lovely Norfolk lanes. I was lucky with a rare tailwind all day. This is near Barton Bendish, my 2nd favourite Norfolk village name after Stratton Strawless.

View attachment 534387

View attachment 534388

View attachment 534389

Finally, after about 6.5 hours, I reached my destination of North Creake near Wells. A great day in the saddle.

View attachment 534390

Great pictures 👍🏻

a.twiddler

Veteran

View attachment 534383

View attachment 534384

River Ouse
View attachment 534385

View attachment 534386

View attachment 534387

View attachment 534388

View attachment 534389

View attachment 534390
Great pictures, very atmospheric. What's in the panniers? I got a lot of comments from weight weenies when I revealed what I cart about in my saddlebag, but you put me to shame if that's what you normally pack for day rides (though I suspect it wasn't just a day ride). Norfolk has some interesting place names.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Ha! Yes. I'm here for a few days so carrying more than usual. In one is my repair kit, pump, spare tubes and wet wipes, clothes for 5days, wash bag and sandwiches/ bananas for the ride and binoculars.

In the other is my work laptop, A4 hardback notepad, a Private Eye, and a radio magazine, a largish hardback book ('Greenery' by Tim Dee- it's an exceptional read) plus food for last night - a small pork joint, some spuds, carrots and a leek. More wet wipes and some chain lube. A frozen pint of milk too- still frozen when I arrived remarkably.

In the small pannier at the front my wallet, keys, phone /Garmin recharger plus wires, some drinks and chocolate, and a small radio.

I don't travel light I'm afraid. ^_^

Last edited:
Top Bottom