Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Sunday club ride to church farm tea rooms anslow .
Struggled all the way around and i cut my ride short as i was getting stomach cramps and the rest were having to wait for me every hill :sad:

Old jon

Guru
Dry and bright again this morning, with a northerly breeze. It almost felt cold! So I had to ride away on the fixed, just to warm up.

A bit of Holbeck first, and then out on Great Wilson Street to cross the Aire on Crown Point Bridge, then predictably up to the Oakwood Clock. Aim for Street Lane, turn right at the A61 and ride along this to the bridleway for Eccup Reservoir. Once through the village that shares the same name turn right again. After a while the road descends a bit steeply and the surface is variable, to be polite about it, less fun on fixed gear. So twiddling gently through Weardley and here is the A659. Turn left.

Through Arthington to Pool and decide to ride up to Farnley. This is the steeper side of that hill, it certainly felt that way today and it is the first time I have ridden up without gears. Sanity is not required for this exercise. Wouldn’t help at all. The drop into Otley was fun though, swoopy stuff and little traffic. And then another drop. A clipless moment is a description I have seen. But this happened at a pedestrian crossing. With audience. Ah well, bike OK and just a bit of skin off elbow and knee.

Onwards after a bit, the climb up Leeds Road seemed easier than before, but no shorter. Those roadworks at Bramhope still look the same as the last three or four visits, maybe the improvements are all out of sight? Straight past Golden Acre Park, no detour for Adel dam today.

Across the Ring Road and more cones and fencing on the way to Headingley. At the bottom of the hill to Kirkstall, realising it is Sunday, I took the bike lane into town centre. Quiet and easy. Out through that corner of Hunslet and then the final stretch home. A surprising thirty eight miles put a smile in place, and just over 1900 feet uphill. Pretty good.

And the garthing cartoonery . . ., no, I should be polite, cartography

09082020.jpg

0908elev.jpg

pawl

Legendary Member
Did have plans for a 70 miler this morning . Wanted to be out early to avoid the heat so the alarm went off at 5.30 I peered out to f the curtains to be greeted with the sight of the trees opposite dancing around in the wind and the sky being dark suddenly my motivation for a longer ride disappeared so back to bed . Finally up at 8.00 pottered about a bit and after breakfast finally rolled out the door at 0930 . The heat hadn't arrive yet so arm warmers were donned in August . Headed out on my standard 50km loop out to Wymeswold got to Cossington 6 miles in were I got stopped at some temporary traffic lights where the arm warmers were removed . Into Sileby were I took the climb up Seagrave rd . Decided to put an effort in with a helping tailwind only to be stopped by some temporary lights . Got past these only to be stopped at another set 1/2 mile later . The rest of the ride was uneventful but a tailwind home helped push the average up to 16.6 mph so just 32 miles in the bag but another 200 mile week racked up . Still windy but not as bad as it looked at 5.30 was just beginning to warm up as I got home

Erm trees dancing in the wind are you sure you went dreaming

County council must have some spare cash .Recently there has been several road closures round my neck of the woods Most have been passable for cyclists.On closure near me The Newbold Heath road close to the travellers sit is completely closed off with metal barriers

KingswayRider

Über Member
Early start to get in some miles pre club ride. Decided on a masochistic effort. Up through Harescombe to Edge, which kicks up much more steeply than the main road up to Edge, peaking at the top at 1 in 6. Descend to Pitchcombe, take the turning to Painswick, then another turning to climb another narrow, steep & gravel covered lane back up to Edge. More steep, bumpy gravel infested lanes to descend & then climb back to Painswick & up through. Brief detour along Holcombe Lane, before returning to the main road & taking yet another little lane back across to Edge & then continue climbing to Haresfield Beacon. 563m of ascent in 14 miles.
Nasty descent - very potholed, gravelly & twisty & had to squeeze in twice for cars. . Back down to Kingsway & meet up with the club ride, including @Donger & @Dark46, having 22 miles & approx 600m ascent by that point.
Pleasant zig-zag route out to Staunton for a cuppa, surviving a couple of idiot drivers on the way. Helped one of the riders on the climbs (hand on the back to give him that e-bike feel) as he was suffering with his back & had no legs as a result. Certainly felt the burn in the legs on a number of occasions, but we got everyone round the route & home. Another 100k (66.43 miles) and 1009 of ascent by the time I got home.

Last edited:

Dark46

Veteran
Another great ride today with @KingswayRider and @Donger on the club ride. I managed to get my myself out of bed this morning.
I was glad in away that the weather wasn't quite as itvwas forecast, I didn't really know what to expect for altitude but I was aware of the 40 miles that the route was planned to be.
Strange to be riding some roads in the opposite direction to what I normally do, also it was nice to go down some lanes that I never knew where they went.
A great route with some great views , we are really lucky to have what we have locally.
So after the route @KingswayRider said he had to do a few more meters of assent (3) so I said I would go with him.
When I got home my next door neighbour asked if I had come off today and how far had I done? I said "45 miles" she said "don't come back until you've done 50!" So I went for a little jolly around Quedgeley and when I got back I had done 50.59 miles.
I was surprised how well the ride went as I haven't done over 40 this year.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200809-143433_Strava.jpg
    Screenshot_20200809-143433_Strava.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
:sun::sun::sun:
Morning all! Very acceptable blat around Treath Bychan in Anglesey, perfect cycling weather before it gets too toasty. Oh, I don't know, maybe 10-12 miles but who cares when theres a nice beach to bimble around on?
:sun::sun::sun:
Evening all...back to civilisation so heres pics from ride above.

I kept stopping to admire the views (and take a breather). A few fellow cyclists about, but i was the only one on the beach, some very crunchy braking going on, good advertisement for discs over rims.

Absolutely beautiful morning, sand nice and compact so no worries there. Stopped for one more as i headed back inland.

Out on roadbike tomorrow, storms permitted, but Anglesey beckons again next weekend. Love the chuffin place! :okay:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
What is it with bikes? The moment you fix one part, another one goes kaput. I had a great little ride out with @Dark46 the other day, testing out my Swissstop disc brake pads that I had just fitted. Everything went great until I was nearly home, when the front derailleur started to play up. On Saturday I had a look at it and the thing was down for the count ... completely seized. I think the spring must have broken. Anyway, that meant switching to my older bike, the one with rim brakes, for today's club ride.

@KingswayRider had come up with another peach of a route out to Deerhurst, Staunton and Hartpury, taking every opportunity to try out quiet little lanes that were new to us. A very enjoyable ride it was too. A few too many turned up, so we kept a very loose peloton, with little groups of 2, 3 or 4 spread out along the road. It was quite warm and muggy today, but the sun never showed itself. A very enjoyable ride (with the exception of one or two four wheeled muppets) and it was nice to have @Dark46 back in the fold. He very generously paid for all the drinks at Staunton Garden Centre, and he seemed to have recovered from his whole body stinging nettle experience the other day.

I'm going to have to take the plunge and find myself a new bicycle mechanic locally now. I did get a few recommendations, so I reckon I'll try out a chap who lives less than a mile from me. I can even ride the bike round to his place and walk back from there. Hope I get it back in time for next week's club ride, as we are due to do a lovely route into the Cotswolds, stopping at Chavenage Manor. I don't think I trust the brakes on No2 bike coming back down from there.

Thunderstorms predicted for pretty much the whole of next week, with a dentist's visit thrown in. Lovely. 44.8 miles today.
Cheers, Donger.

KingswayRider

Über Member
What is it with bikes? The moment you fix one part, another one goes kaput. I had a great little ride out with @Dark46 the other day, testing out my Swissstop disc brake pads that I had just fitted. Everything went great until I was nearly home, when the front derailleur started to play up. On Saturday I had a look at it and the thing was down for the count ... completely seized. I think the spring must have broken. Anyway, that meant switching to my older bike, the one with rim brakes, for today's club ride.

@KingswayRider had come up with another peach of a route out to Deerhurst, Staunton and Hartpury, taking every opportunity to try out quiet little lanes that were new to us. A very enjoyable ride it was too. A few too many turned up, so we kept a very loose peloton, with little groups of 2, 3 or 4 spread out along the road. It was quite warm and muggy today, but the sun never showed itself. A very enjoyable ride (with the exception of one or two four wheeled muppets) and it was nice to have @Dark46 back in the fold. He very generously paid for all the drinks at Staunton Garden Centre, and he seemed to have recovered from his whole body stinging nettle experience the other day.

I'm going to have to take the plunge and find myself a new bicycle mechanic locally now. I did get a few recommendations, so I reckon I'll try out a chap who lives less than a mile from me. I can even ride the bike round to his place and walk back from there. Hope I get it back in time for next week's club ride, as we are due to do a lovely route into the Cotswolds, stopping at Chavenage Manor. I don't think I trust the brakes on No2 bike coming back down from there.

Thunderstorms predicted for pretty much the whole of next week, with a dentist's visit thrown in. Lovely. 44.8 miles today.
Cheers, Donger.
Check what model it is & if you can get one online delivered quickly - not a big job to fit & set-up, so if you're stuck regarding new LBS I'm sure I can sort it.

2020_08_09_Glottertal_12.JPG

I finally made it into the Black Forest. Not very far though, only about 15k one way.

It is a hilly place.

More pictures will follow when I have energy.

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
Needed to be out early today and another new route planned. It was already warm although overcast and very little wind when I left starting off to Wolverley, Nonely, Myddle, down the lower road to Merrington, Old Woods onto the new lanes I carried on to Walford Heath crossing the road to go to Yeaton, Grafton, Adcote which involved a rough lane with an impressive amount of grass growing down the middle although it did improve as we got near Adcote school, onto Baschurch where I was back on familiar ground, past the PGL to Stanwardine in the Fields, Bagley, Weston Lullingfields, Marton, Burlton, Loppington, Horton, Northwood and home. 33.04miles @16mph
91F9056F-C45F-4A1D-B526-17EDEBF23807.jpeg

Photo from a wall in Old Woods

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Daughter number two was having Loads of friends around for her leaving party😢 She is leaving Yorkshire for performing arts college in Essex at the end of the month so best to make an exit, get out on my bike and leave them all to it.
Out just before 3 on the Tricross, met Friends in Ulleskelf and cycled to The Ship in Acaster Malbis for numerous coffees sat outside by the River, lovely afternoon.
26.8 miles with an average of 15.3 mph.

Mike_P

Guru
Wrong weather forecast for the second day running – overcast apparently sunny in fact once the morning cleared. Gave the Defy a fright by heading towards Chevin Cycles but passed by non stop, it was a rare use of that bit of the A61 to avoid Fridays surface dressing of part of the A59.

Back on the keyboard trail and in search of an O which was not Otley lead to another trip over Aldwark Toll Bridge. Wind was a north easterly which had a clear impact as I turned onto the A168 and the bike did not so readily respond, and on the approach to Great Ouseburn a section of road open to the fields alongside had a significant cross wind.

To minimise the rattle of the bridge I waited for a car coming the other way to exit but I still had to convince myself the bike was okay and not falling apart. Plenty of cyclists about but more scarce after the Toll Bridge, where I headed north-east through Easingwold to the O of Oulston with a third of a mile climb of 7% avg 13.2% max.

Had a GPS direction What! moment thereafter – knowing I then needed to turn west (left) I was confused why it kept on indicating a right turn (mental note to self – switch it to map display next time). Post ride it transpired the plotted route had turned left in the village whereas I did that at a road junction beyond which had a road sign for Boroughbridge. After the next junction thereafter the GPS directions returned to being useful and were needed on a route than included an acute right turn and use of a single track road that I was wary of in terms of any presence of pot holes but after an initial iffy section it was fine. Some roads had been surface dressed but had compacted enough not to be an issue while others had long nice smooth patches alongside the edge of the carriageway.

A new PR on the ride south west from Thornton Bridge to Boroughbridge clearly benefitted from the tailwind. The latter stages of the ride made an interesting comparison with last Saturdays battle with a westerly and today was 2 mins 40 secs quicker over 5.16 miles. Todays total 55.04 miles@14.5mph avg, 2582ft climbed.

Last edited:

pjd57

Veteran
Nice morning in Glasgow so I decided to visit my daughter in East Kilbride.

It's a few miles uphill from Rutherglen , but no real tough bits

Good views across the city on the way back down.
This is one of the few stretches of road that I don't mind using the " shared path " .
There's no pedestrians on it and a lot of speeding on the dual carriageway

a.twiddler

Veteran
Looking forward to a longer ride out on the Linear recumbent for the last couple of days but it has just been so hot and humid. This morning was much cooler and cloudier so I was all set to do some sandwiches and set off mid morning. Alas, Mrs Twiddler had other ideas and once the jobs list which she had produced was done I decided to have a snack first and go later.
The sun was out and it was getting hotter by the time I set off having slapped on a load of sun cream on the way out and grabbed a bottle of water.

Gettin' outta Dodge by the shortest route and leaving the mean streets behind I soon found things pleasantly cooler, heading for Oulton Park via Wettenhall. There was a slight headwind as is usual in this direction but rather than being annoying I found it pleasantly cooling today. Usually there is a little trepidation in riding the recumbent after a few days off it but everything fell into place straight away. I had intended to wear my helmet with new mirror attached but didn't fancy the prospect of slow cooking my head if the temperature reached the dizzy heights of the last couple of days. So the characterful old cap was also slapped on, on the way out. Not windy enough to worry about it getting blown off today.
I was going to take it easy, I told myself. Just roll along, enjoy the breeze. Chill out in your shades on your garden chair on wheels. And so I did, mostly.

King's Lane, Dogmore Lane, along part of the weathered red brick wall that encloses Oulton Park, then off left to Brownhills Road and across an awkward junction with poor sightlines to the left. Awkward enough on an upright bike, a little more hairy when you have 3 or 4 feet of LWB recumbent ahead of your eyeballs. I think my hearing has become more sensitive in even the short time that I have owned this unlikely machine.

On into Oulton Mill Lane, then a gloriously cooling downhill spoilt a little by a junction behind hedgebanks on the right. Nothing coming, so swooping up a slight climb then stopping at the A49 before waiting for a long enough gap in the traffic to attempt the uphill start straight across into Cotebrook Lane. Quite busy today. Past the church on the left where a cyclist was looking at his phone and gave an acknowledgement, stop again at a crossroads, wait for traffic, then right into Stable Lane. Downhill pedalling hard to get up momentum because there is a climb after this dip and I know that if I can keep the speed up I can keep going into the next downhill. Additional motivation is provided by this being a narrow, winding fast stretch with high banks either side. What was I telling myself a little earlier about chilling out?

What little traffic there was, was patient and gave me a wide berth. I could hear a tractor roaring away behind though I couldn't see it yet. I pounded away downhill just because I could, even though I am normally so, so fond of freewheeling. I hit the bottom of the dip and speed fell away while the tractor noises got louder. I fought a rearguard action against the diminishing speed but was still doing a respectable (for me) 8mph as I reached the crest. The tractor roaring disappeared and looking down at the mirror showed the end of the trailer vanishing into a farm gate just behind me.

The road was now straight and level to the Fishpool Inn crossroads with the A54 on to Abbey Lane with tall trees on the left all along giving merciful shade, so I eased off to take advantage of it. I could see a lot of vehicles queueing at the crossroads ahead with the A556 so I took advantage of a dip in the opposite kerb and rode carefully round the corner of the wide kerb. I think this is a cycle facility for the junction. A short way along there was a crossing place and I crossed over, following a red cycle path left. This ended just round the right hand corner but there was no way to cross in front of the cars to get to the opposite lane. I slowly trundled along the kerb with slow moving cars on the left and a selection of prickly and stinging plants on the right until I reached a spot where I could cross over safely. I certainly wouldn't ride on such a kerb normally but this seemed the least worst option.

A few hundred yards up the road there was a small shop so feeling hot and bothered I stopped for an ice cream. There was a bunch of young chaps on MTBs in all the gear outside obviously heading for Delamere Forest. They talked amongst themselves but happily for me I was obviously too old and eccentric (and sweaty) so I didn't have to answer any questions. One of the drawbacks of riding one of these a lot of the time, even if you're not in the mood.

Not feeling much cooler, I carried on through Delamere along Station Road. There was another queue of traffic not much further along, at some roadworks traffic lights. There was a gradual downhill towards the lights and I got some speed up but the traffic had cleared and the lights changed just as I got there. I pulled over to let the next accumulation of cars get by before setting off on green and gratifyingly got up to about 20mph without too much effort. I passed Delamere Station (where there was some kind of country event on which was generating all the traffic) and was only slowed on the short hill leading into Hatchmere, though this went smoothly because I was preceded by a slow moving 4 X 4 which unintentionally cleared the oncoming traffic for me. Swooping through Hatchmere towards Kingsley I made it a good way up the hill before finding that I couldn't hold on to a low gear on the derailleur without it unexpectedly jumping to a higher gear. I stopped in a gateway and got into low gear on the 3 speed hub and was able to use a higher ratio on the derailleur which then stayed put. I got going again, anticipating sorting it out once I got home. I arrived at Kingsley sooner than expected, crossed Norley Road into Top Road and then had a marvellous freewheel all the way through Kingsley, turning right up The Hurst and then right again into Roddy Lane which is a narrow lane with high hedges and little traffic. I pulled over once to let a following car go by.

Turning right at the T junction with Mill Lane I had the road to myself for a couple of miles before I heard voices behind me and a scrubbing of tyres. "Coming by on the right" someone said, (where else? It's a road, isn't it?) and two meaty chaps passed on mountain bikes. Almost immediately a large man on an upright trike with fat tyres and a small woman on a hybrid came out of a junction on the right ahead of them, and there were 5 of us in line. Any passer by might have thought we were together, a sort of cycling circus. The meaty chaps passed the other two at the beginning of a hill, powered by muscle. The other two left me behind on the hill, probably powered by electicity. I was left in solitary splendour, powered by wishful thinking, as in I wish I could use those bl**dy lower gears! Still, I climbed onwards to Acton Bridge Station, where since I was stopping to look at the gears, I took a photo opportunity.
Fortunately the solution was simple. The right hand shifter has a friction adjuster which just needed tightening. Sorted.
I should have zoomed in a bit tighter on the second picture.

I set off again in the opposite direction from the photo, down Station Road, and climbed gently to the bridge over the A49 and turned right on to West Road in Weaverham. Then a left turn on to Forest Rd and right on to Gorstage Lane, passing under a railway bridge. At the end of Gorstage Lane I went straight on up the climb on Weaverham Road to Sandiway. A bit hot on a day like today, but the bike was not difficult to ride up it. At the A556 I went straight across on to Kennel Lane, which was pleasantly shady, and was able to take it a bit easy, not least due to the surface being alternatively tarmac and gravel in places. The bike coped surprisingly well, and I was able to ride all of it, so my technique must be improving as last time I rode it on a similar surface uphill I ended up having to get off and push.

Over a humped bridge then down on to the old railway. Stopped for a choc bar and a drink of water. Then through old Whitegate Station, onto Grange Lane, through the the town centre and uphill to home. Overall, apart from the heat, a successful day.
Mileage according to the computer 28.3. Average speed despite the dawdling off road stretch 9.6mph. Max speed, somewhere, was 28.4.

Top Bottom