Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On the way to work again:

20200811_065026.jpg

AndreaJ

Veteran
I have got the week off work and there are thunderstorms forecast for the rest of the week so I thought I had better get out today, it was already hot although still a bit hazy over the hills. I started off to Wolverley turning to Nonely, back to Loppington past the pub to Brown Heath, English Frankton and down to Cockshutt, crossing the road to Kenwick then Lower Hordley. A quick check of my directions then on to Hordley, Tetchill past the front of Ellesmere college then turned back to Lee and past the tradesmans entrance to the college, turned to pass Whitemere, up to Colemere, Lyneal, Welshampton, turned by the school to Hampton Grange carrying on past my usual turning to Tarts Hill, Breadon Heath, across the Wrexham road to Bettisfield, Northwood and along Ossage Lane, past The MoatShed then home. 33.56 miles @15mph. It was very warm out and humid especially in the shade where it was still wet after yesterday’s rain.
Picture from Breadon Heath.
EF10C3EF-3F40-45F8-A486-49BCF6F822E6.jpeg

C R

Guru
Cor, was it hot today. The family went out for some activities after dinner, so I thought I'd take the chance for a spin, reasoning that it would be somewhat cooler close to sunset, but not really, still 28 degrees. Managed my Earls Croome loop in my fastest time, but I was dripping as if I had just got out of the shower. Good fun despite a couples of idiot drivers trying hard to spoil my outing.
IMG_20200811_214658.jpg

Mike_P

Guru
Ebike had a urgent run to Lidl this evening as I got a message saying they were stopping their free from ranges; think I might have a Guiness Book of Records entry for how many packs of rice cakes and biccys you can get in a rucksack (yes other places sell them but not as cheap or equivalent quality). For the heat a fair number of cyclists about and outbound I got an ebike KOM on a climb by matching at last the time of the QOM. Also a new PR on the decent of a completely deserted Beryl Burton Cycleway. Another cyclist was in front of me on the climb into Knaresborough from the river bridge and passing traffic precluded the ebike from being unleashed for a while. On the return another PR on the climb in the opposite direction on the A59 and probably not surprising one on part of Bilton Lane as the gate was open and hence no need to waggle the handlebars through an anti motor bike barrier. 12.56 miles and 959ft up, an almost identical ft/mile to yesterdays 4.6 miles and 351ft up trip to Asda.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Would I be able to ride that far? That has been the question on my mind for quite a while. When Audax UK reinstated validation for rides (DIYs and Perms) up to a nominal 200km, I took it as a sign to try. This had been the point of joining AUK to push myself to ride further. I had completed a calendar event of 100 km in February and did a 118 km ride last week. In fact, that was the furthest I'd ever ridden to date. And here I was planning to ride 218 km to York and back.

Kit packed so I'd be as self-sufficient as possible, I used the equipment I'd got - a pannier rack, pannier bags, fuel tank bag. I hadn't got around to buying a decent lightweight lock so had to take my 2 kg D-lock. It made the bike much heavier, but I'm glad I took it as I used it twice.

I set off at 8 AM and taking the undulating road out to Doncaster borough passing through (but not near) Harworth & Bircotes where you can find Tom Simpson's memorial. That was the last time I saw any kind of hill as the terrain became pancake-flat and stayed that way throughout North Lincolnshire and East Riding and up to York.

As I passed Finningley airport, something strange happened. The route disappeared from my Wahoo. It has never done this before. The ride was still recording, but the lack of directional arrows was a problem. I managed to fix it by ending the route (but not the recording) and starting the route again. This happened again just before York. Same solution worked. Bizarre.

Passing through Selby on some very quiet back lanes, some of which had been 'resurfaced' with loose chippings which made for some very interesting riding. The wheels slipped more than once on the 4 km stretch, but I managed to stay upright throughout.

I also had to ride on some very busy, straight roads at times. Most drivers gave me lots of room, some not so much. Very few slowed before overtaking. A few lorries were wonderful - they were very patient and gave me a wide berth.

I joined The Solar System Greenway which made a nice change to be traffic-free. I didn't ride the whole route as I'd done with the family last Thursday, but turned off after Saturn after starting on the far reaches of the solar system. Not every day you can say that. :okay:

York race course was quiet, of course. York not so much. Near the offices for Terry's Chocolate, I joined the cycle paths around York. Lots of people in the park and all socially distant - although I'm sure the groups of kids didn't all live in the same or two household(s). York was pleasant as always when we've visited. Culture, history and more.

In my planning, I'd decided to ride the orbital cycle path around city. It was... interesting. Some parts were on cycle paths, some on quiet residential roads and at least one part on a major road for about 300 metres until I could rejoin the cycle path. I'm glad I rode the route, but I won't bother again. Part way through I wanted some different food plus I had run out of water. Both 750ml bottles were empty. I called into Morrison's to pick up a few snacks and water.

The pedestrian areas of York were packed. My route took me along one of these streets and I got through and out as quickly as possible. Busy doesn't even cover it.

Navigating by GPS sounds simple. When in a relatively unknown city with cycle ways that are mostly segregated (yay!), but badly organised (boo!), and a one-way system. I racked up an additional 10 km in York by getting lost and retracing my route to the points where I deviated so I could take the correct way. Eventually, I reached my control, York Minster and made my exit at about 4 PM.

I was riding the same route back as I'd taken to York. On reaching Barlby, I was seriously overheating so called in at the village shop for an ice cream and more liquids. I ate the ice cream far too quickly and had stomach ache for the next 1.5 hours.

Pedalling steadily along, I passed through Snaith and Thorne, Wroot and Harworth once again. The sun fell after Harworth, so all the bike lights went on. The roads were pitch black by the 7-miles from home mark and my light settings were changed from be-seen to to-see-by.

I arrived home safe and sound. I didn't realise until I dismounted how tired I was.

All-in-all a great day out on the bike. Type-1 fun until reaching Selby on the return leg where it slowly became type-2. It was a little warm though: 15ºC at its lowest and 36ºC at its highest. I may need a new saddle - one with a cut out for the perineum. Enough said. Plus I'll be buying a more lightweight but solid secure lock.

Sent my .fit file off for validation by AUK last night and was notified this morning that it was accepted and I got my 2 points ^_^. That's an added bonus to a day out riding the bike.

This morning, I may have planned my next 200 km ride for next month... :whistle:

Planned distance: 218 km
Actual ridden: 228 km (142 miles)
Elevation: 759 m
Moving Time: 11h 17m
Total Time: 13h 36m

Here's a few photos from the trip:

Bridge at Thorne
IMG_0777.jpeg

By the canal at Selby
IMG_0778.jpeg

IMG_0779.jpeg

On the far reaches of the solar system (The Solar Way, Riccall)
IMG_0782.jpeg

On the outskirts of York
IMG_0787.jpeg

By the river Ouse
IMG_0793.jpeg

Clifford's Tower, York
IMG_0797.jpeg

York Minster
DateStamper_0002.jpeg

Outside Finningley, Doncaster
IMG_0803.jpeg

The long road home OR Cycling into the sunset
IMG_0806.jpeg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Crazy hot today. They say only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun. Well they are wrong. I saw no dogs.
Just a little 20 mile pootle for me today, through the usual Severnside villages. Every time I stopped it felt like I was in a sauna, and every time I started off again I had to keep wiping the sweat out of my eyes. Arrived home soaked through. 33 degrees.
A few nice (though heat hazy) snaps of the Severn estuary from Epney and Framilode, and a gratuitous selfie:

It's too hot to write anything else.
Phew!
Donger.

13 rider

Guru
Would I be able to ride that far? That has been the question on my mind for quite a while. When Audax UK reinstated validation for rides (DIYs and Perms) up to a nominal 200km, I took it as a sign to try. This had been the point of joining AUK to push myself to ride further. I had completed a calendar event of 100 km in February and did a 118 km ride last week. In fact, that was the furthest I'd ever ridden to date. And here I was planning to ride 218 km to York and back.

Kit packed so I'd be as self-sufficient as possible, I used the equipment I'd got - a pannier rack, pannier bags, fuel tank bag. I hadn't got around to buying a decent lightweight lock so had to take my 2 kg D-lock. It made the bike much heavier, but I'm glad I took it as I used it twice.

I set off at 8 AM and taking the undulating road out to Doncaster borough passing through (but not near) Harworth & Bircotes where you can find Tom Simpson's memorial. That was the last time I saw any kind of hill as the terrain became pancake-flat and stayed that way throughout North Lincolnshire and East Riding and up to York.

As I passed Finningley airport, something strange happened. The route disappeared from my Wahoo. It has never done this before. The ride was still recording, but the lack of directional arrows was a problem. I managed to fix it by ending the route (but not the recording) and starting the route again. This happened again just before York. Same solution worked. Bizarre.

Passing through Selby on some very quiet back lanes, some of which had been 'resurfaced' with loose chippings which made for some very interesting riding. The wheels slipped more than once on the 4 km stretch, but I managed to stay upright throughout.

I also had to ride on some very busy, straight roads at times. Most drivers gave me lots of room, some not so much. Very few slowed before overtaking. A few lorries were wonderful - they were very patient and gave me a wide berth.

I joined The Solar System Greenway which made a nice change to be traffic-free. I didn't ride the whole route as I'd done with the family last Thursday, but turned off after Saturn after starting on the far reaches of the solar system. Not every day you can say that. :okay:

York race course was quiet, of course. York not so much. Near the offices for Terry's Chocolate, I joined the cycle paths around York. Lots of people in the park and all socially distant - although I'm sure the groups of kids didn't all live in the same or two household(s). York was pleasant as always when we've visited. Culture, history and more.

In my planning, I'd decided to ride the orbital cycle path around city. It was... interesting. Some parts were on cycle paths, some on quiet residential roads and at least one part on a major road for about 300 metres until I could rejoin the cycle path. I'm glad I rode the route, but I won't bother again. Part way through I wanted some different food plus I had run out of water. Both 750ml bottles were empty. I called into Morrison's to pick up a few snacks and water.

The pedestrian areas of York were packed. My route took me along one of these streets and I got through and out as quickly as possible. Busy doesn't even cover it.

Navigating by GPS sounds simple. When in a relatively unknown city with cycle ways that are mostly segregated (yay!), but badly organised (boo!), and a one-way system. I racked up an additional 10 km in York by getting lost and retracing my route to the points where I deviated so I could take the correct way. Eventually, I reached my control, York Minster and made my exit at about 4 PM.

I was riding the same route back as I'd taken to York. On reaching Barlby, I was seriously overheating so called in at the village shop for an ice cream and more liquids. I ate the ice cream far too quickly and had stomach ache for the next 1.5 hours.

Pedalling steadily along, I passed through Snaith and Thorne, Wroot and Harworth once again. The sun fell after Harworth, so all the bike lights went on. The roads were pitch black by the 7-miles from home mark and my light settings were changed from be-seen to to-see-by.

I arrived home safe and sound. I didn't realise until I dismounted how tired I was.

All-in-all a great day out on the bike. Type-1 fun until reaching Selby on the return leg where it slowly became type-2. It was a little warm though: 15ºC at its lowest and 36ºC at its highest. I may need a new saddle - one with a cut out for the perineum. Enough said. Plus I'll be buying a more lightweight but solid secure lock.

Sent my .fit file off for validation by AUK last night and was notified this morning that it was accepted and I got my 2 points ^_^. That's an added bonus to a day out riding the bike.

This morning, I may have planned my next 200 km ride for next month... :whistle:

Bridge at Thorne
View attachment 541230

By the canal at Selby
View attachment 541231
View attachment 541232

View attachment 541233

On the outskirts of York
View attachment 541234

By the river Ouse
View attachment 541237

Clifford's Tower, York
View attachment 541238

York Minster
View attachment 541239

View attachment 541240

View attachment 541241
Well done big miles in this heat is no easy task

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Well done big miles in this heat is no easy task
Thanks, I'm stubborn as my wife will attest. :laugh:

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Hot hot hot!

That was a first, two short outings on the ebike today together totalling 7.81 miles and 646ft up and after both kit straight into the wash pile which is pretty unusual for an ebike commute/shop ride which these were.

The first was a mid morning trip into town to collect some new specs, no change in prescription still but main pair were looking tatty and the spares have a scratched lens.

I passed the road end to work on the way back and of course when I got home found a message saying their were some items to collect.

Decided mid afternoon I had enough of being literally stuck by the heat to my chair so headed into work. Thought of putting the bike in the bike shed but that had a sign saying one person at a time in and some one seemed be seriously fettling their bike so it got abandoned outside the door with its built in lock activated.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Two for the price of one..

Got out at about half 10 last night after the temperature and humidty finally became bearable. Took the Raleigh for a spin into town and ended up at Port Meadow; which was busy with small groups of folk; many apparently like me watching the lightning illuminate the clouds in the distance.

I smashed it to Wolvercote in the dark; sending many pairs of red rabbit eyes scatting and nearling squasing one as it zig-zagged in front of me; narrowly missing the front wheel as I eventually passed it. It ended up being quite an exerting and enjoyable ride; made moreso by my (relatively) quiet and well-behaved drive train thanks to the new chain and clean it'd been treated to earlier in the day :smile:

Today was not a good place in my head; despite having done everything "right" this was compounded by the fact the house was unbearably hot by lunch time. In a rare fit of impulsiveness I grabbed my gear and rowed the Routier down to a surprisingly quiet Port Meadow again; this time parking it on the banks and wading in for a bit of a "swim" (float with occasional panicked-flailing as I caught my feet in various bits of vegetation).

Image039(2).jpg

My annual recommended intake of goose shoot solution ingested I dragged myself out and dried off in the sun for a bit, before I began to cook and headed back into town; heartened to see some of the meadow's resident horses getting some love from some randoms :smile:

Travelling back across the meadow it started to rain, and I made it my mission to pilot my scatily-clad self into the eye of the storm with the aim of gaining some respite from the oppressive heat and humidity. My quest took me through town chasing the ominous black clouds, until the storm finally broke half way up the Cowley rd and I spent the next hour swanning round in the apocalypic downpour :smile:

This was the first time I've ridden the Routier in the rain; confirming that yes; the already slightly terrifying brakes are moreso with additional lubrication, while the mudguards do an excellent job of both keeping my legs and torso dry, and utterly soaking my feet, bottom bracket and crank, so I forsee a council-mudguard extension on the cards (or might just rob the one I made for the ofo).

Finally returned home via the co-op; scoring a super-sized comfort-eating starter kit in the form of two of their pizzas and a tub of Ben and Jerry's for £5 - so on the retail price of the ice cream they're effectively paying you 75p for eating two of their pizzas :tongue:

Once more I was left in awe by the capability of my panier (can you tell I've never had one before? :tongue: )

Image042(2).jpg

:becool:

EDIT:

Bridge at Thorne
View attachment 541230

By the canal at Selby
View attachment 541231
View attachment 541232

View attachment 541233

On the outskirts of York
View attachment 541234

By the river Ouse
View attachment 541237

Clifford's Tower, York
View attachment 541238

York Minster
View attachment 541239

View attachment 541240

View attachment 541241

Epic work - that's some serious distance, and in this heat :blink:

Last edited:
First ride with the North-East CTC Group today starting at 10am from Stannington, we rode up to Mitford, North Morpeth, Tritlington and Hadston. Stop for a picnic lunch at Druridge Bay then turned south on NCR1 to Cresswell, Lynemouth, Ashington and back via Hepscott [up Bottle Bank] and back to Stannington for 5pm, 42 miles with lots of stops including a rare sighting of a Marsh Harrier and egrets. Looking forward to returning to the Drift Cafe for a coffee after Covid! Feel relaxed and happy after a good day out.
Thats all my local hunting ground :-). Drift cafe is canny but often too busy. I take it you mean Bothal bank? Had to walk it the first 2 times (but admittedly I'm a weak cyclist), best thrill I had in ages was finally making it up without stopping lol

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Thats all my local hunting ground :-). Drift cafe is canny but often too busy. I take it you mean Bothal bank? Had to walk it the first 2 times (but admittedly I'm a weak cyclist), best thrill I had in ages was finally making it up without stopping lol
Auto correct always gets me eventually!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Today's ride: #4 in a limited series - ColinJ does steep little climbs up dead-end roads from the village of Walsden.

Last one, folks... I will now have to go elsewhere to find new dead-end ramps to punish myself for no good reason!

I would be climbing a steep 'road-to-nowhere', the kind of thing that no sane cyclist would do.

It was another hot day, but not quite as humid as yesterday's muggy-fest. I waited until 4 pm to let things cool down slightly but I still found it uncomfortable when making a big effort. I did my usual warm-up of climbing up Woodhouse Rd/Causeway Wood Rd to Lumbutts, then up and over to Knowl Wood, and on through Walsden past the foot of the climb that I would be doing later. Hang on, another cyclist is turning up the climb. Hmm, obviously he must live up there somewhere. I was confident that nobody else would be heading up El Steepo in that heat.

I continued on my way towards Littleborough, then turned right at the old toll house to climb away from the A6033 up Calderbrook Rd and looping back round to Summit. I whizzed back to Walsden and then made my turn to begin the climb...

Hang on, there was a cyclist coming down the hill towards me, and not the one that I had observed half an hour earlier! Either lots of cyclists live round the corner at the foot of the climb, or I am not the only lunatic cyclist in this area who likes to be punished by excessive gradients and excessive heat. I said 'hi' as he passed me and began my ascent.

The climb wasn't too bad to start with - probably a gradient of only 8-10% but it soon ramped up round a couple of bends. I was expecting a 340 metre long ramp at 18% but instead encountered an easier one which turned out to be roughly 145 metres at 14%. It lulled me into a false sense of security... I had 'done the math' before setting off so I should have realised that since the first half was much easier than expected, the second half was likely to be much harder! The heat must have fogged my brain because it didn't occur to me...

I turned another corner and... oh crap, that is nearer 20%!! :laugh:

I grovelled my way up a 'bracing' 195 metres at 19.5%. The road eventually flattened off before one more steep ramp round a bend.

Here's the elevation profile...

There were great views from the end of the road. Here's a view looking back along the lane before it plunges down through the trees.

I have never been up the road before, but I recognised the top as being on the Pennine Bridleway/Mary Towneley Loop which I have done on my mountain bike several times. (The bridleway sweeps over the hillside on the top right corner of the photo to the road, then climbs back along the hillside behind me, before eventually plummeting down to the A6033.)

I had a swig of water then set off on a rapid descent to Walsden. On the way down I remembered reading of 2 cyclists in a group puncturing on the descent so I was watching out for some problem with the surface. I hadn't noticed anything on the climb, but I was thinking more about the gradient than anything else and I was going so slowly that the surface wasn't an issue. Different story going back the other way! Suddenly I found myself heading straight for a sharp-edged drainage channel crossing diagonally across the road. I scrubbed off some speed and then bunnyhopped it - no problemo! :okay:

I was soon back in the village, and then quickly back down the valley to Todmorden for a much-needed shower.

I have been enjoying my little local loops (an alluring alliteration? :whistle:) but I need to start doing longer rides ASAP or I am going to lose what is left of my stamina before the winter and probably not get it back before next summer!

Another short sharp shock of a ride. Only 22 km ridden, with 350 metres of ascent, but most of the climbing was done in just 4 kms.

Landsurfer

Veteran
My favourite cycling weather this morning, warm and overcast.
A cycle based around the canals north of Doncaster with a bit of overlap as i managed to get "off route " ..... or lost, again ...
Set off at 0730hrs from Toll Bar riding on the TPT / CR62 route, lots of trees down over the trail, possibly the storm we had 2 nights ago. The pull from Thorne to Rawcliffe Bridge was a bugger ... the head wind was bad enough but the lorries on the A614 where indulging in a close pass competition i think ... don't be fooled by the map ... Rawcliffe Bridge is not at " Rawcliffe Bridge " .....

Thats what i love about cycling without time limits ... you just end up where you want ... or don't want ... it's still a win.

Last edited:
Top Bottom