Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old jon

Guru
There’s a surprise! The reported 16 degrees this morning almost felt cold. And then the zip on my lightweight jacket stuck, about halfway up. Minor niggles, pedal the geared bike down the street.

And find that the phone kept falling out. On the bike I carry the phone in a waterproof thingy on a lanyard around my neck and stuffed down the front of the jacket. Not today, swivel the lot 180 degrees and stick the phone in a back pocket. Such drama! But, ride on.

Cross the River Aire and ride up the hill to the Oakwood Clock, then decide to ride the A58 (aka Boot Hill) across the Ring Road. Another ride without a plan. The right turn at Red Hall Lane was hindered by traffic, so I carried straight on to Wetherby without bothering with junctions.

Crossed the Wharfe there and turned right for a second breakfast by the riverbank. I had to untangle phone and banana, a difficult task. It is a steep climb away from there, as is the bridge across the A1 M on the road to York, the B1224. Travel along the side of the racecourse for a distance, leave that behind and the next right is to Walton.

And a following wind. I had noticed that pedalling seemed to need more effort this morning, but that could have been anything. The wind was certainly being kind to me now, fairly whizzed along to the village. A left and a right, this road passes a few buildings then back into open country on the way to Thorp Arch. And I have just found out I was riding along Church Causeway to pass All Saints Church.

Back across the River Wharfe now, and into Boston Spa on the way to Clifford, then Bramham. Once out of there and across the A1 M again it is fields and woodland bordering the road again, and little traffic around. A couple of cyclists and two or three cars all the way to Thorner, where things seemed to be a little busier.

Ride up Sandhills and along to Skeltons Lane, where the previously helpful tail wind became a cross wind. But only as far as the A 58 again, and I rode down that hill quite a bit faster than the ascent earlier this morning. Back across town, and the river, then that last stretch to home. Thirty five brisk miles, thank you breeze, and 1800 feet up, and still I have a grin.

A map . . .

13082020.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Yesterday's Ride:-

Andy G came up from the Forest to join Margaret PR, Mrs 26 and me for a sortie to the west bank of the Wye. It was to be a fairly standard route mostly. So out around the north of the Hills for the Leigh Brook and the climb out to descend into the Frome valley. Mrs 26 headed on a loop homeward while we three aimed at Burley Gate and the dodge east of Hereford to drop us at the bridge over the River Wye at Mordiford. We rode south with the river on our left to pause at the Bibletts for our picnic while watching the river with swans and an egret for company. We recrossed the Wye at Hoarwithy after rehydrating and filling our bottles at the pub. Fawley Court was admired before we routed to the thatched church at Brockhampton. Then a crossing of the Marcles via the southern lanes came next. At Much Marcle Margaret needed drinks so the Walwyn Arms provided the necessary. We had been drinking all day in the 30+ C heat. Fluids had been disappearing readily all day. Now we took the usual run around the southern end of the Hills to take to the Castlemorton lanes to complete a super ride despite the extreme heat. 70 smiles

AndreaJ

Veteran
Another hot, humid morning so just a short ride into Whixall, Alkington just in time to cross the canal before a boat needed the bridge lifting, across to Hollinswood, Coton, Waterloo, Edstaston, Paddolgreen, Horton then past the Moatshed and home after a ridiculously close pass by a woman in a 4 wheel drive towing a horse trailer who seemed to forget the trailer was wider than the car and didn’t slow down or move over. Luckily her window was open so she heard my polite critique of her driving ability, not sure if she had even seen me or just didn’t care. 17.3 miles @16.2 mph.

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
Feeling pleased with myself ... my longest ride so far (only started end May / early June) at 80km and at 29.5km/h - I should go well over 200km this week ... which will be another first. Cycling next to The Danube means waiting for a day with a headwind out and a tailwind home - there’s no way I would have been able to grind all the way home had the wind been different :bicycle:.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
... and home after a ridiculously close pass by a woman in a 4 wheel drive towing a horse trailer who seemed to forget the trailer was wider than the car and didn’t slow down or move over.
Years ago a colleague decided to do a 4 km commute by bike rather than driving (or walking) in. After a few days I asked if he was enjoying his short cycle commutes and he replied that he was - it made much more sense than messing about in the car for such a short distance, and the exercise was clearing his head before and after work. The very next day he was overtaken by... someone towing a trailer who seemed to forget the trailer was wider than the car and didn’t slow down or move over... and the side of the trailer caught him and swiped him off the road!

He suffered cuts and bruises so took a week off the bike, but soon after starting cycling again he was hit by a 'left-hooking' driver, and that was the end of the cycle commuting. (PS He wasn't badly hurt that time either, but decided not to push his luck!)

I'm glad that you were more lucky!

Last edited:

Shropshire65LW

A nice hr and a half out and about this morning , bit grey but long as it doesn’t rain I’ll get a few hrs in where I can .

Attachments

• B4AB1E15-256D-4B85-98A3-05432FA982B7.jpeg
    B4AB1E15-256D-4B85-98A3-05432FA982B7.jpeg
    272.2 KB · Views: 1
  • BC4CBC67-6EA7-4312-8E48-FC40B55B2771.jpeg
    BC4CBC67-6EA7-4312-8E48-FC40B55B2771.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 2
  • BE3B8C70-C837-464F-B265-349DAB290144.jpeg
    BE3B8C70-C837-464F-B265-349DAB290144.jpeg
    279.9 KB · Views: 3
  • B9250547-1DC6-474F-A1F2-88398E10E8FD.jpeg
    B9250547-1DC6-474F-A1F2-88398E10E8FD.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 3

Mike_P

Guru
It was only two seconds slower than last time but it seemed like an eternity late this afternoon as I slogged up showground hill with an overweight rucksack of shopping on my back (must stop buying flour but then again it might go scarce again). Was the ebike motor working properly I thought then I realised the strength of the wind. A surprise came a bit later with the traffic lights at the end of the bridleway turning green for me without anyone on horse back pushing the high mounted button:huh:

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Went out for eggs.

Weather forcast suggested a 50%ish chance of rain but I (turns out wrongly) thought I didn't have enough left to last the weekend, plus I welcomed the excuse to get out on the Genesis / into the novel grey outside.

The weather was "refreshing" - initially cooler (But fine for shorts) and a welcome departure from the sensory onslaught of bright sun, baking temperatures and thick, muggy air.

Having spent most of my time on the "new" Raleigh recently the CdF took a few hundred yards to get used to again with its wide bars, slower steering, greater reach and more conveniently-placed shifters (I did reach for the downtube once!). The unsurprising merits of 30 years of development proved joyous with light, convenient shifting, a massive range of relatively close-spaced gears available and brakes that will bring the bike to a convicing stop with less effort than the Raleigh levers need to creak their way up to the point where the brakes bite..

Hardly a fair comparison and I love the Raleigh for what it is, but it's clear why one is worth a bit more than the other :tongue:

Arriving at the residential egg-shed brought disappointment with only one partially-full tray remaining, so I continued to the farm where I was relieved to find two untouched trays left. All stocked up I headed to Abingdon, and as the rain held off down through Culham and to Didcot, joining NCN5 back towards Abingdon. EDIT: This was the 2nd time I've used the freshly resurfaced "Hanson Way" path from Sutton Courtney to Abingdon; it's not Netherlands-standard-billiard-table smooth but so much better than the lumpy, cratered track it used to be :smile:

Heading along the cycle path past the power station I had cause to duck some low-hanging trees; copping a few to the head but they were flexible enough to not cause an issue. I did pick up a brown shield beetle on my shoulder from the leaves as I passed through them, which seemed in no hurry to leave and ambled off onto my back somewhere as I rode on.

As I got back into Abingdon the rain started to come down and I elected to take the most direct route back. On the cycle path out of the park I got that anxiety-provoking feeling of the rear rim bottoming out, followed by the depressing roughness of a flat. As I stopped, flipped the bike over and started pulling it to bits the rain came down harder and the mosquitos started biting :rolleyes:

Upon dropping off my rucksack to retrieve the necessary tools I found my hitchhiker from Didcot still present. Two more patches on the tube and some whinging later I was on my way again, back into town along the tow path and out again.

Finally back I took a few pictures of my new best mate before persuading it onto a blackberry bush outside. Having researched them further it appears they're a destructive invasive species so I should probably have just squashed it, not that I'd have had the heart to :sad:

IMG_0785.JPG

Not a bad ride, puncture notwithstanding. The rain was a bit crap but bearable; the Longboards doing the usual stirling job of keeping the road water at bay. Traffic was depressingly heavy and there were a fair amount non-attention-paying muppets in town; although most I met elsewhere were good humoured and quick to get out of my way.

After 37 miles I'm pretty knackered again now; possibly due to a lack of breakfast before leaving, but I do feel better for getting out :smile:

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Sort of overcast again this morning, but the temperature was in double figures, there was nowt falling from the sky and only a light breeze. Go ride the fixed.

Just after seven on a Saturday morning you would expect the towpath to be quiet. Nope. Not massively busy but there was always at least someone in view, if not sometwo or even three. Up to Headingley, and by the time I reached it a route had been thought out. Stay on the A 660 all the way to Otley, that two mile descent went well this morning, and then turn right.

This is the A 659. The River Wharfe is to my left, and flowing in the direction I am riding. Downstream. So maybe the road should be downhill? It must be, overall, but there were some surprising uphill bits too. Through Pool, turn left to stay on the same road and Arthington is next. As I rode under the viaduct a train was crossing it, a rare enough thing that the noise made me wonder what it was.

Pass Weardley and I am looking for the gate into Harewood House grounds. It is a lot closer to the A 61 junction than memory said. And the climb is just as much as Harewood Bank, but traffic free. Join the A 61 and turn right, towards Leeds, but soon there is the left turn and maybe a mile of lumpy riding to Wike.

And more undulating road to Slaid Hill, that final little rise was really felt. Still, home is downhill from here, and I probably chose the longest way back. A zig to Moortown Corner and a zag to the Oakwood Clock and I was heading to Crown Point Bridge and across the Aire. The smile was wide when I reached home, the garthing told me I had ridden 34.56 miles, or maybe it was learning to count? A good ride again, all the same.

squiggley bits . . .

15082020.jpg

with ups and downs

1508elev.jpg

Mike_P

Guru
Dull day and it looked like rain at any time but little wind. Had to wait in for postie and that worrying thought of maybe he had been and gone niggled me I as set about attacking the neighbours plants overgrowing the boundary with the use of a step ladder. Maybe I should have deposited the cuttings on his drive as a hint that he ought to seriously start cutting things back but then again he never has, so they ended filling my garden wheelie bin and still the overgrowing tree that should be a hedge to attack. Anyway Postie arrived but it was nearly half four before thoughts could be given to the use of a bicycle and with various odd purchases needed the Defy once again watched as the Ebike departed the shed.

A trip into town where I managed the grand total spend of £3.95 on three items and left without the main intended purchase of a new ironing board cover due to the simple fact that I could not work out who might actually sell them these days. Hence then to B&Q where I had previously seen such and which turned out to be less £ than the visible price labels implied, and as Aldi is next door a visit in there well. Something seemed wrong as ebiked away - still had 😷

Turned out I was lucky as 25 minutes after getting back home a heavy downpour occurred, but the washing was still out:sad:

Last edited:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
First ride in 6 days, a nice easy saunter along my regular haunts in the drizzle.

The drove out to Burwell Fen. A slightly bumpy ride. Keeps the drivers away so I’m happy with that. Id have the A11 surfaced like this if I had my way.

Always nice when the konik ponies are near the cycle path.

Still some pools of water left despite the lack of rain.

Not many folk about today. Saw more horses and deer than people. My radio, tuned to Caroline, (obvs.) was playing ‘Hocus Pocus‘ by Focus at this point. I’m not sure quite what the horses made of that.

Tubney Fen. Rather bleak and autumnal today.

The pool near the hide on Tubney Fen near Reach is very low. Some optimistic little egrets were looking for lunch.

I extended the ride by a few miles to take in Lode and Longmeadow and for a change put my foot down in an effort to make up for lost miles this week. 13 miles in total here on the flatlands today.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Had planned the usual club ride but after 2 nights of not much sleep with the ongoing saga of my teenage son aka the strop machine and the continous drizzle that is showing all day along with chance of thunderstorms i contacted the riders who were listed as attending we decided to give it a miss and went back to bed :sad:

Top Bottom