Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
20 miles in grey Devon. I made some new friends and nearly died when a taxi driver did an emergency stop right in front of me as I was doing 30 mph down a hill.... it was sketchy for a little moment!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A couple of rides to report on.

Friday: I've managed to get almost halfway through August without getting any rides in apart from a couple of short ones round the block following fettling. I was free for a nice afternoon though and I took the Raleigh out for the first proper run with its new handlebar, brake levers and shifters. The route was unimaginitive: Longnor - Acton Burnell - Harnage - Cross Houses - Condover, but familiar roads was what I needed to assess how it went.

From the start I was really happy with the feel of the bike. It's a little more stretched out than the Galaxy but still comfortable. The thing I wasn't expecting is that the handling has subtly changed to feel really stable and confidence inspiring. I never had any complaints about the handling before, it just feels better.

With a light tailwind I made good progress through Condover and Ryton, then got flagged down by another rider on the way to Longnor who had come down this lane without knowing where it went to. I was able to point him the right way and we ended up chatting for a while.

Moving on again I enjoyed the ride to Acton Burnell (it's usually possible to get some good cruising speeds up on this stretch). The recent storms had washed a lot of sand and gravel onto the roads and I nearly got caught out at Cound Moor by carrying a bit too much speed into a dip which had a good covering at the bottom which made me a little more wary on the way through Harnage and Cound, where I found the flag of Ecuador flying.

The A458 turned out to be less busy than anticpated so I stuck with it to Cross Houses before turning for Berrington. At the King Street crossroads another rider on a road bike headed my way - I thought I might keep up but he slowly strolled away into the distance.

24 miles this trip at 15.6 mph average. I'm very pleased with the changes made and hope it feels as good on longer rides.

The new look Raleigh, taken near Harnage.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday: I was busy so couldn't make the most of a dry morning but did head out after lunch to get some miles in. I would have used the Raleigh again but the forecast suggested that rain would come in towards the end of the ride so I thought I'd prefer to use the knockabout bike for this one.

It was a bit windier and coming from the north east so I thought that I'd go for my route to Condover, Longnor, Dudgeley, Wilderley, Pulverbatch and Longden as I'd have the wind helping to start with and the gradient helping offset the headwind on the way back.

The most recent saddle adjustments on the Hawk have made it nicer to ride than it has been for a long time and I made decent progress on the same roads that I started the previous ride on. After Longnor it was nice to turn right instead of left and carry on to Hollyhurst. I had a quiet gap to cross the A49 which was fortunate as only a few minutes later there was a steady stream of traffic in both directions and I'd have had a long wait.

I enjoyed the quiet lanes to Leebotwood then after seeing a couple of vehicles, had the climb to Smethcott and Wilderley pretty much to myself. The main road from Pulverbatch to Longden wasn't exactly busy either which always pleases me and I decided to stick with it a little longer through Annscroft before heading over Lyth Hill via Lyth Bank. At the summit there were lots of visitors but none of them were using the rough track so I didn't have to avoid anyone. A bit of extra distance finished the ride off nicely and I'm pleased with the improvement of this bike too.

25.5 miles at 12.9 mph average which is good on this hilly route.

Drink stop at Hollyhurst.

On the climb at Walkmills.

The view of Lyth Hill from just after Smethcott.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
@KingswayRider plotted us another great club ride route out to Chavenage (near Tetbury) and back today. A tad under 43 miles for me, the highlight of which was a great new outdoor cafe stop at the Wild Carrot cafe near Chavenage House.

The fantastic, mile long descent of Frocester Hill should also have been a highlight, but was spoiled by a maniac in a 4X4 overtaking me on a blind right hander just as a car and caravan came in to view heading in the opposite direction. The 4X4 muppet swerved back in front of me, cutting me up and slamming his brakes on. All I can say is thank goodness I fitted new brake pads last week. I can now personally endorse the effectiveness of Swissstop pads.

An hour or so after getting home, I am sat listening to the rumbling of thunder nearby. We were lucky with the weather, which was much better than last night's forecasts.

Cheers, Donger.

13 rider

Guru
So today was the day Leicester Ccers got back together . Our last ride together was in November ! . Destination was to be our favourite local cafe a nice 50km loop out and back . Typically after all the nice weather today was predicted to be wet :rain:. Unfortunately @Noodle Legs bailed due to needing to be home early and the weather . My plan for plenty of early miles was soon changed as it was raining so finally rolled out the door at 8.20 giving me nearly an hour and half before the meeting time . Rolled out into minor drizzle up through Newtown Linford up Sharpley hill and round into Woodhouse Eaves past a work colleague out running ( he tells me off when I say jogging :laugh: ). Just circling some local roads to add some miles . Just heading out of Rothley and recognised a rider coming in other way it was @Supersuperleeds a quick chat and were both heading in the same direction to the meeting point in Quorn . Got to the meeting point noone there so a quick loop and as we head towards the lights @tallliman was coming in the other direction . A quick chat and the 3 amigos ride again . Retracing some of my early loop it's Mountsorrel ,Barrow ,Hoton into Wymeswold . Nice pie cafe sits on a ridge so you always climb too it today's climb was to be Narrow lane a lovely road to descend but a steady climb up. Onto the ridge and it's a headwind thankfully @Supersuperleeds went on the front and picked the pace up as he dragged us to the cafe . The cafe was busy so a bit of a wait but gave us more chatting time . Back on the road a mile more of headwind then turn for home and we were treated to a tailwind back up the Wreake valley which is a rare event .Back to Cossington were we split @Supersuperleeds went left to home to complete a metric century .I went right with @tallliman to add some extra miles back to Mountsorrel were we parted . Back home to complete my metric ton 63 miles for me ,@tallliman banked 45 miles . I managed to stay mainly dry just a bit of drizzle as did @Supersuperleeds but @tallliman got caught it a sharp shower before the meeting point but considering the forecast we got away with it . Really nice to ride with company chatting away as the miles roll bye . Hopefully we won't have to wait so long for the next one

Good
So today was the day Leicester Ccers got back together . Our last ride together was in November ! . Destination was to be our favourite local cafe a nice 50km loop out and back . Typically after all the nice weather today was predicted to be wet :rain:. Unfortunately @Noodle Legs bailed due to needing to be home early and the weather . My plan for plenty of early miles was soon changed as it was raining so finally rolled out the door at 8.20 giving me nearly an hour and half before the meeting time . Rolled out into minor drizzle up through Newtown Linford up Sharpley hill and round into Woodhouse Eaves past a work colleague out running ( he tells me off when I say jogging :laugh: ). Just circling some local roads to add some miles . Just heading out of Rothley and recognised a rider coming in other way it was @Supersuperleeds a quick chat and were both heading in the same direction to the meeting point in Quorn . Got to the meeting point noone there so a quick loop and as we head towards the lights @tallliman was coming in the other direction . A quick chat and the 3 amigos ride again . Retracing some of my early loop it's Mountsorrel ,Barrow ,Hoton into Wymeswold . Nice pie cafe sits on a ridge so you always climb too it today's climb was to be Narrow lane a lovely road to descend but a steady climb up. Onto the ridge and it's a headwind thankfully @Supersuperleeds went on the front and picked the pace up as he dragged us to the cafe . The cafe was busy so a bit of a wait but gave us more chatting time . Back on the road a mile more of headwind then turn for home and we were treated to a tailwind back up the Wreake valley which is a rare event .Back to Cossington were we split @Supersuperleeds went left to home to complete a metric century .I went right with @tallliman to add some extra miles back to Mountsorrel were we parted . Back home to complete my metric ton 63 miles for me ,@tallliman banked 45 miles . I managed to stay mainly dry just a bit of drizzle as did @Supersuperleeds but @tallliman got caught it a sharp shower before the meeting point but considering the forecast we got away with it . Really nice to ride with company chatting away as the miles roll bye . Hopefully we won't have to wait so long for the next one
Good work @13 rider, admittedly I wasn’t keen on riding in such rubbish weather but Mrs Noodle Legs decided at short notice to go to work on overtime then tell me that our bathroom bits were being delivered between 1230-1330 which would’ve made me time starved at the cafe. I look forward to the next one as it’s been far too long!

13 rider

Guru
Good

Good work @13 rider, admittedly I wasn’t keen on riding in such rubbish weather but Mrs Noodle Legs decided at short notice to go to work on overtime then tell me that our bathroom bits were being delivered between 1230-1330 which would’ve made me time starved at the cafe. I look forward to the next one as it’s been far too long!
No problems , you wouldn't have made 12.30. Looking like a repeat mid Sept I will keep you posted

KingswayRider

Über Member
@KingswayRider plotted us another great club ride route out to Chavenage (near Tetbury) and back today. A tad under 43 miles for me, the highlight of which was a great new outdoor cafe stop at the Wild Carrot cafe near Chavenage House.

The fantastic, mile long descent of Frocester Hill should also have been a highlight, but was spoiled by a maniac in a 4X4 overtaking me on a blind right hander just as a car and caravan came in to view heading in the opposite direction. The 4X4 muppet swerved back in front of me, cutting me up and slamming his brakes on. All I can say is thank goodness I fitted new brake pads last week. I can now personally endorse the effectiveness of Swissstop pads.

An hour or so after getting home, I am sat listening to the rumbling of thunder nearby. We were lucky with the weather, which was much better than last night's forecasts.

Cheers, Donger.
Glad you enjoyed it @Donger, tricky to get us out & back & manage some little lanes, but I'm happy with how that worked out & good to gain height progressively around the route rather than subject people to a big climb. I have no issues with that, but it does split things up. The 4x4 muppet had to wait until Frocester to get by me, however, the car & caravan coming up gave me a bit of a scare...running the caravan well over the white line on a corner...right where I wanted to be towards the outside of the lane to straighten the left hand curve ready for braking into the right hander. Having to change line in a wet descent at 40mph+, just as I wanted to brake, was far from ideal.
Another pre-ride this morning, down to Chaxhill, Westbury on Severn & Northwood Green (35 miles at 17mph), then back to Kingsway for the club ride - rounded off the day with 75 miles & 837m of ascent.

1597604055769.png

been out with the little un a lot recently doing between 4-10 miles, love it but it sure does play havoc with your cycling fitness. First proper ride I have had to myself for weeks and felt every mile of it :-(

Shropshire65LW

A couple of rides to report on.

Friday: I've managed to get almost halfway through August without getting any rides in apart from a couple of short ones round the block following fettling. I was free for a nice afternoon though and I took the Raleigh out for the first proper run with its new handlebar, brake levers and shifters. The route was unimaginitive: Longnor - Acton Burnell - Harnage - Cross Houses - Condover, but familiar roads was what I needed to assess how it went.

From the start I was really happy with the feel of the bike. It's a little more stretched out than the Galaxy but still comfortable. The thing I wasn't expecting is that the handling has subtly changed to feel really stable and confidence inspiring. I never had any complaints about the handling before, it just feels better.

With a light tailwind I made good progress through Condover and Ryton, then got flagged down by another rider on the way to Longnor who had come down this lane without knowing where it went to. I was able to point him the right way and we ended up chatting for a while.

Moving on again I enjoyed the ride to Acton Burnell (it's usually possible to get some good cruising speeds up on this stretch). The recent storms had washed a lot of sand and gravel onto the roads and I nearly got caught out at Cound Moor by carrying a bit too much speed into a dip which had a good covering at the bottom which made me a little more wary on the way through Harnage and Cound, where I found the flag of Ecuador flying.

The A458 turned out to be less busy than anticpated so I stuck with it to Cross Houses before turning for Berrington. At the King Street crossroads another rider on a road bike headed my way - I thought I might keep up but he slowly strolled away into the distance.

24 miles this trip at 15.6 mph average. I'm very pleased with the changes made and hope it feels as good on longer rides.

View attachment 541914
The new look Raleigh, taken near Harnage.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday: I was busy so couldn't make the most of a dry morning but did head out after lunch to get some miles in. I would have used the Raleigh again but the forecast suggested that rain would come in towards the end of the ride so I thought I'd prefer to use the knockabout bike for this one.

It was a bit windier and coming from the north east so I thought that I'd go for my route to Condover, Longnor, Dudgeley, Wilderley, Pulverbatch and Longden as I'd have the wind helping to start with and the gradient helping offset the headwind on the way back.

The most recent saddle adjustments on the Hawk have made it nicer to ride than it has been for a long time and I made decent progress on the same roads that I started the previous ride on. After Longnor it was nice to turn right instead of left and carry on to Hollyhurst. I had a quiet gap to cross the A49 which was fortunate as only a few minutes later there was a steady stream of traffic in both directions and I'd have had a long wait.

I enjoyed the quiet lanes to Leebotwood then after seeing a couple of vehicles, had the climb to Smethcott and Wilderley pretty much to myself. The main road from Pulverbatch to Longden wasn't exactly busy either which always pleases me and I decided to stick with it a little longer through Annscroft before heading over Lyth Hill via Lyth Bank. At the summit there were lots of visitors but none of them were using the rough track so I didn't have to avoid anyone. A bit of extra distance finished the ride off nicely and I'm pleased with the improvement of this bike too.

25.5 miles at 12.9 mph average which is good on this hilly route.

View attachment 541926
Drink stop at Hollyhurst.

View attachment 541927
On the climb at Walkmills.

View attachment 541928
The view of Lyth Hill from just after Smethcott.
I keep meaning to get down that way ,only 25 miles south of me , now I have a rack for the car it may happen ^_^ nice part of the country

AndreaJ

Veteran
I couldn’t get out yesterday due to a broken gear cable on my bike and the spare/winter bike already by coincidence had the same problem which I should have got fixed ages ago, mobile bike repair man collected both bikes yesterday afternoon and returned them this morning all fixed and just in time for a ride in the rain. I set off to Northwood managing to get the temporary traffic lights to change to green as I approached then turned to Bettisfield, Breadon Heath down a slightly scary hill as slowly as I could due to the lack of road surface, potholes and bits of hedgebank which had been washed onto the road, on to Welshampton, Coptiviney, Ellesmere, through the town to Lee, Lower Hordley, Bagley, Weston Lullingfields turning down a different lane to Stanwardine, Baschurch past the schools to Eyton, Myddlewood, Marton, Burlton, Myddle having to wait for some cows to cross the lane, Nonely, Loppington, Lyneal back to Welshampton stopping by the church for a cereal bar as I had decided to try to extend the route to 50 miles. Set back off to Hampton Bank, Northwood back through the traffic lights, Wolverley, Horton, Ryebank, Edstaston,Waterloo, Whixall and back home. 50.12 miles @15.7mph which is my longest ride so far. Bike needs washing again as there was lots of mud in places. Saw a couple of groups of cyclists out and one man in Bagley phoning home for a rescue.
118C2AED-A8E5-46AE-B2EE-DC7F97AF511C.jpeg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
View attachment 541959
Out and about in the New Forest. My non cycling friends were confused as to what I was doing to the donkeys when I put this photo on FB. Had to explain its my handlebars! 😂🙈
Nice work :becool:

We have donkies out the back of the house and sooner or later I'll have to go and bother them. Might see if there's anything languising in the salad drawer that could tempt them to the gate - don't want to go in their field incase they take offence and give me a shoeing..

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
About 5 years ago I bought my youngest daughter a road bike. It's a Pinnacle Dolomite II, a respectably-specified aluminium framed beastie, and until yesterday it had been used approximately three times. It was the right size when bought and fortunately she didn't grow any further. She frequently takes herself on walks of 20 miles or more, so as far as cycling is concerned, all in good time.

Hoping optimistically to avoid serious rain, we headed off yesterday afternoon for what was planned as as gentle 50-miler, north through Tewkesbury, Twining and Strensham, crossing the river at Upton for rewatering, then back down the lanes crossing again at Ham Bridge. These are some of my most familiar roads, and Strava tells an interesting story: a succession of PRs on the outward leg as I struggled to keep up; an abrupt change on the way back as my daughter visibly started to struggle.

So we stopped near Chaceley for food and a stretch. Thunder rumbled in the west, and big splodges started to fall. Time for a pep talk: a bit of rain often transforms everything, both physically and mentally.

And so it proved. Fortunately it only rained seriously for about half a minute, leaving the temperature a few degrees lower. With everything looking much more positive we took the diversion through Apperley and Deerhurst which for some reason I'd never explored before.

We finished with the Sandhurst loop to take us comfortably over 50 miles. Here's the route:

So a highly promising start. Shoulder and wrist discomfort was mentioned; time to demonstrate moving spacers and flipping stems.

JPBoothy

Veteran

Cheers, Donger.
Good reactions there by the sound of it. There is no end to the stupidity of some drivers though is there :eek:

Old jon

Guru
Wet tarmac out there this morning, but I believed the forecast of a couple of showers in the morning. Went for the ride anyway, all the way around I might have felt half a dozen spits of rain. Call that a plus for this bike rider.

Take the geared bike this morning and by the time I crossed the river I had decided on a route, and of course I was not at all certain I would follow it. So, Oakwood, up that big climb on the A 58 and once over the crest turn left for Shadwell. The road here is a bit exposed, high up and not many hedges, any breeze is felt. Very light winds today then. Another left turn takes me to Slaid Hill, turn right for Wike.

And once in the village, turn left to pedal to the A 61, along that to Harewood. Where there is a right turn onto the A 659 to Collingham. This was a bit busy in patches today, and it is a bit flat and straight until nearer East Keswick. Almost turned off for Linton, but waited to reach the A 58 before turning left onto that road. Leave Collingham behind and turn right onto Wattle Syke, which is also the A 659 again. After the roundabouts, head for Boston Spa.

Where it was a quiet morning. Straight through, resisting the temptation to turn right for Clifford. After passing Newton Kyme the road reaches Tadcaster. I reached what is probably still High Street, rode along that to the turn for Stutton. Where I took the left fork and unknowingly left the A 659. Which was previously the A 64. Anyway, I rode on to just miss Stutton, eventually found Toulston Lane and the way to Bramham.

Thorner, Sandhills and then the A 58 again, back across the Aire to wend my way through a bit of Hunslet road works and a bit further on to the street where I live. Always good to see my front door, and after forty two miles and 2200 feet of going up, I think I earned the grin I was wearing. Mind, the first eight miles accounts for 500 feet of the climbing . . .

The way around

17082020.jpg

the way up,

1708elev.jpg

Top Bottom