Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
A most excellent jaunt on the tandem this morning. Set off in glorious sunshine, being overtaken by a steady stream of riders up the first climb of the Brickworks.

Thence the very fast descent to Kettleshulme, and the rather slow climb of Windgather Rocks to Pym Chair, the spectacle of a buzzard hovering providing entertainment as we gasped for air. A friend Everested this recently; one ascent sufficed for us. Beautiful clear views from the summit, Liverpool cathedral visible on the skyline.

Final climb of the day was the Goyt Valley, always beautiful, and resplendent with Heather in full bloom this morning. The descent off the Cat to bring us back to the plain, whilst great fun, was damn cold. Autumn is nearly upon us.

35 miles, ~1000m climbing.

ianbarton

Veteran
Finally a nice day yesterday. Sunshine and only a moderate breeze. Now that the cafe in Wem library is open again, this is one of my regular rides. They sandwiches and salads are freshly prepared. This means that it can take a while until it arrives at your table. However, this is the perfect excuse to have two Americanos and a large wedge of homemade cake! I passed a few other cyclists and even more passed me. The combines were taking advantage of a sunny day to get in some more of the Spring barley. Lots of crows and pigeons looking for worms on the stubble.

54.6km with 360metres of ascent. Who said that South Cheshire/North Shropshire is flat.

Attachments

• 29-08-20-A-bike-ride-in-Dodcott-cum-Wilkesley-England.png
    29-08-20-A-bike-ride-in-Dodcott-cum-Wilkesley-England.png
    108.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20200820_132247391-PANO.jpg
    IMG_20200820_132247391-PANO.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200820_135425473_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200820_135425473_HDR.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 4

MarkF

Guru
My debut ride on the 1984 (I think) Dawes Superbe today after 2 days of fettling to make it rideable, with just the 3 Sturmey Archer gears it was along the canal for 12 miles and I really enjoyed it. Never had an upright/vintage very metal bike before, don't think I've had a bike before that I keep looking at. The downside was people want to talk, just like when I ride the old Vespa, you can't sit and have a bite to eat in peace.:okay:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Another great club ride today, out to the Forest of Dean to ride up May Hill and stop for coffees at Longhope. My front mech has been playing up lately, so being able to use No.1 bike was a bit of a bonus after taking up a friend's recommendation and whisking it round to a locally based mechanic to sort out for a tenner last night.

After the Lord Mayor's Show ....... I may have managed a hundred miler last week, but the climb up May Hill from Clifford's Mesne beat me this week, and I ended up doing the walk of shame. I was not alone in this. I have to concede that some of the little lanes and the superb views into Wales around there were so good that it was all worth the effort anyway.

That 40 miler brought up the 300 for the month and put me over 2,700 for the year. Loved almost every minute of it.
Cheers, Donger.

Old jon

Guru
Fooled by the sunshine, I was. We were meeting at Slaid Hill, I left the house at 8:30 and less than a mile away decided it was too cold. So, back home for another layer and off I went again. And reached the meeting place just in time.

Eccup was the next bit, along a narrow muddy lane that took us to a spot opposite the start of the bridleway to the reservoir. First use of the back brake in months, it is good to practice occasionally. Turn right once through the village, heading for Weardley, and another right turn onto the A659 takes us almost to Harewood Bridge. Which we crossed on the way along the A61 to the turn for North Rigton and that deceptively steep hill.

An intriguing route followed, around close to Almscliff Crags, up and down, and eventually crossing the northern end of Lindley Wood Reservoir. Followed by more low gear riding on the way to Farnley. Leaving had to be downhill, we chose the descent to Otley. And a café stop.

Pool next, on the journey there I was introduced to yet another road. Probably the old Pool Road, and apart from us it was not being used. Through the village, did I mention we were on the A659 again? Stay on that road past Arthington Viaduct and then turn right to ride up Creskeld Lane. After the rest at the top, I needed one anyway, ride on through Bramhope and turn up Kings Road.

Along King Lane then, and for me all the way to the other end of that on Harrogate Road. Very conveniently opposite the start of Gledhow Valley Road, which takes me to my frequently used drop down Roundhay Road and the edge of town centre. Cross the river and my front door is not far now. A big grin for forty six miles and over three thousand feet of elevation gain. Great morning.

Mad mappery and upanddownery

30082020.jpg

3008elev.jpg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Imperial ton done my son :smile:
Club ride to the peaks 112 miles in total , 6800 feet of climbing before strava played with the figures
Stopped at Ilam Hall after hitting weaver hills then over thorpe cloud before looping back to sudbury for dinner then the last bit home up piston hill

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 5
  • Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 118355374_10220401840570949_6486919418308543259_n.jpg
    118355374_10220401840570949_6486919418308543259_n.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
A short ride today, 14 miles or so, with Mrs SnG to check a route for her. We set off along a quiet road, then a 1/4 mile off-road section, and back to very quiet country lanes, into the Mundhams. Joining a short section of busy road and onto a segregated cycle path brings us to the Chichester canal. A deviation here from our original plan, to see how the cycle route is surfaced into the City.

After a short rest break, and a photo of the Steve Tomlinson Butterfly, (1 of 4, but we didn’t venture to the other 3, that’s for another day) we returned towards home.
A further deviation to continue following route 88 Southwards to Sedlesham, and then home.
Mrs SnG really enjoyed this route, and has confirmed that she will do her first commute tomorrow, with me having the in-between hours on my bicycle 😀.

can anyone tell me if there’s any permissions required to reduce the overhanging brambles in the segregated cycle paths, to reduce the ducking necessary when riding these, or can I just do this with secateurs and lay the off-cuts on the edge of the path..? I did look at trying to find the details of my local sustrans ranger?

Last edited:

Mark pallister

Up the coast to amble through duridge bay country park then home through the fields
v nice day for it

Attachments

• A5C86615-EED3-477A-8466-DF4E785216A4.jpeg
    A5C86615-EED3-477A-8466-DF4E785216A4.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 366AA620-6B51-48B5-B4EC-DE712B157FB5.jpeg
    366AA620-6B51-48B5-B4EC-DE712B157FB5.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 4
  • E606EA7F-6006-4DAB-BEB4-825BE4F94CE1.jpeg
    E606EA7F-6006-4DAB-BEB4-825BE4F94CE1.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 6B968E27-237C-48FC-B5DD-74AC35560311.jpeg
    6B968E27-237C-48FC-B5DD-74AC35560311.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 3

Chris S

Legendary Member
I just went to the gym and back. On the way home I overtook a group of people on roadbikes. They were obviously beginners but it made me wonder why they'd bought such expensive hi-spec bikes to learn on.

Top Bottom