Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KingswayRider

Über Member
Another great club ride today, out to the Forest of Dean to ride up May Hill and stop for coffees at Longhope. My front mech has been playing up lately, so being able to use No.1 bike was a bit of a bonus after taking up a friend's recommendation and whisking it round to a locally based mechanic to sort out for a tenner last night.

After the Lord Mayor's Show ....... I may have managed a hundred miler last week, but the climb up May Hill from Clifford's Mesne beat me this week, and I ended up doing the walk of shame. I was not alone in this. I have to concede that some of the little lanes and the superb views into Wales around there were so good that it was all worth the effort anyway.

That 40 miler brought up the 300 for the month and put me over 2,700 for the year. Loved almost every minute of it.
Cheers, Donger.
After Rodborough Hill on my pre-club ride, I didn't think it was too bad up onto May Hill & I did reach the top without stopping. (I also came back partway down the hill to make sure everyone was ok). Another 70 miler & over 1200m of ascent for me today. You've got me looking at my Eddington number too...not there just yet. Up to 56, with another 9 needed to get over the 100k marker, all from July '17 onwards. Glad you enjoyed the ride @Donger.

Mark pallister

Mike_P

Guru
A nominally dry day with gentle winds at last; even the ebike has had a quite week with just three outings and most of its mileage came on a 10 mile trip to Morrisons yesterday along new routes, of which Strava on the phone failed to record outbound.

An afternoon outing today for the Defy. Cloudy with a chill in the breeze so thin leg warmers again just in case it warmed up – it did not. Initially east to Knaresborough with another new PR on Gardeners Arms Climb, and north to Ripon via Farnham, Bishop Monkton and Littlethorpe with another couple of PRs along the way and a break on a convenient bench at the latter village

Then headed west towards Fountains Abbey but turned off north west passing two far slower cyclists which gave me a good idea that although largely upwards, with one noticeable descent, there was nothing too severe to encounter and so it proved as I reached, seeming slightly prematurely by the location of the sign, the keyboard challenge “G” of Galphay.

A confusing village sat around a road network of circles; not too surprising then that the Parish Council noticeboard had a map of the village with all properties named on it and clearly marked ‘Do not remove’.

Left along a narrow lane with a few notable pot holes on it to reach a previously cycled on road, albeit in the opposing direction, to Winksley where an even narrower road (6’6” said the sign) lead me around the north west of the village.

Headed west and then south on another narrow road ‘Unsuitable for caravans’ which descended steeply down to a bridge over a stream but on the opposing side climbed more gradually. Had to grass verge the bike to let two cars pass just before reaching Low Grantley and back onto roads previously cycled on, if initially only the other way.

Took another break in the car park serving the western entrance to Fountains Abbey

Possibly spent too much time pondering the admission charges - you have to pay more if you want to 'gift aid' and completely missed the fact that the saddle bag was trying to part company - it did not.
The climb away was the toughest of the day and some walkers needing to socially distance gave to an excuse to hold up a car as I slightly zig zagged up. Further on I was surprised to find subsequently I had knocked 7 secs off my previous best on climb of Watergate Road.

Home via a south-east ride to Ripley with no attempt on improving on the descent of Hebden Bank; it was cold enough at 28mph.

35.71 miles / 57.47km, 2487ft climbed, 13.5 mph avg.

Last edited:

C R

Guru
Are we in August or in October? Long sleeve and full finger gloves, and should have worn tights as well, but come on, there's still some twenty days of summer left.

It is fairly flat around here, but going west towards Herefordshire, there's a little bit more climbing, and Ankerdine hill is a bit of a challenge, with three 17% ramps. I had only been up it once, so I thought I should give it another try. I devised a route that would take me straight to the climb, and then back through a combination of roads that I've been through before but not in this order.

Out into the cold at 6:30, through St Peters to cross the river at Lower Wick, and then Powick, Bransford and Alfrick, for the shortest route to Knightwick, but avoiding the main road. This is an ondulating route, which warmed up my legs for the first climb.

The hill starts with quite a steep ramp, so I dropped to my lowest gear and slowly spun my way up, managing two of the ramps before I needed a rest. Once I got my breath back I was on my way again, and I managed to get to the top without having to stop again, an improvement on the three times I stopped the first time I tried here.

The views over towards Worcester are quite spectacular, though my camera doesn't make them justice.
IMG_20200830_073922566.jpg

Onwards now taking advantage of the downhill to Martley, which came quick, and then the second hill of the day on the way to Great Witley. This hill is a bit higher, but the climb is nowhere near as steep, so just a matter of keeping the pedals turning, and then rest while gravity does the work going down to Great Witley.

The route now takes me to Holt Fleet, so we are still descending, and I make some good progress up to the short but steep climb to Ombersley.

After Ombersley I take the back lanes to the south edge of Droitwich, but coming onto the A38 at Copcut I found that the lane I was planning to use was closed, so had to reroute through Primsland and Tagwell Rd. The detour was fairly straightforward, and I soon was back on my route, heading towards Huddington through Dunhampstead. I stopped at the crossroads for a bit of a rest, and noticed on the tarmac that far too many people cut this corner
IMG_20200830_090746131.jpg

Now the last part of the ride takes me through Crowle and the County Hall for home.

Today's ride takes the total for August to 334 miles, which is my highest single month distance, so well chuffed with that.

The map
IMG_20200830_223600.jpg

Mr Celine

Discordian
Saturday's ride. First decent ride for about a month due to poor weather and other competing priorities. First ride for ages not in shorts - 13C and a strong northerly blast so it was three quarters and a long sleeved top.
I headed into the northerly blast, via Clovenfords where a short section of the B710 has been temporarily closed to motor vehicles for the benefit of cyclists and walkers. This was a controversial decision by the council - it's a very quiet road and I've never even seen another cyclist on it- and yesterday was no exception, though there were numerous dog walkers.
I took a break from the northerly gale by going up a dead end I've never explored before. The steep hill certainly warmed me up. I stopped at the road end for a breather and a photo.

Back on route I carried on north, turned west and then south on the B709 to pick up a stonking tail wind. Due to the recent deluges the road resembled a river in places.
Approaching Innerleithen the usual mountain bikers started appearing, including a group of tourists who turned onto the road in front of me and proceeded to ride on the right. Approaching to overtake I gave a cheery shout of 'conduire a gauche, links fahren, tenere la sinestre!'

Well that put Johnny foreigner in his place! I've no idea where they were from, or what language 'far koft osser' is, but it's good to see the first shoots of the tourism recovery!
I stopped at Walkerburn for an energy bar and to look at the river, the recent spate still receding.

It's at least a month since I've been over 25 miles, so the last 10 were a bit of a grind.
The map -
1598825344556.png

52.2 miles @ 14.9 mph 1086 metres up.

I had not done an imperial century for two years. All previous centuries were on sportives
So decided I would do one round here

So started about 8.30. Wind was about NW, into my early direction.
Off through Datchet, Dorney Common and skirted Burnham. Came out near Burnham, in this area was one of the few tougher hills. Across to Bourne End and down through Cookham across the bridge , down to Maidenhead and took the road towards Bray.

Then a succession of villages, Holyport, Touchen End, Shurlock Row, and South through Winnersh
Then a slightly busier road the A327 through Sindlesham, Arborfield and Eversley.

Then some totally unfamiliar area round Dogmersfield, eventually ending up through Farnborough. Proved to be a nightmare to navigate, eventually go through to Mytchett.

Then pretty familiar ground through Knaphill, Chobham and Chertsey back home for refreshments etc. 76 miles down.

Then out again, took the road running more or less near the river to Hampton and into Bushy Park.
I kept figuring out how much I needed to do to reach the century.
Out of the park at Hampton Hill, throughan area between Hampton Feltham and Hanworth.
Through the outskirts of Feltham to Bedfont and Stanwell and an extra diversion via Laleham to ensure the century in case Strava took any away.

101.89 miles, just over 2000 feet of climbing. Ave moving speed of 15.1 mph, so not bad. Was quite a bit slower in the last 20 miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/3987163998

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Are we in August or in October? Long sleeve and full finger gloves, and should have worn tights as well, but come on, there's still some twenty days of summer left.

It is fairly flat around here, but going west towards Herefordshire, there's a little bit more climbing, and Ankerdine hill is a bit of a challenge, with three 17% ramps. I had only been up it once, so I thought I should give it another try. I devised a route that would take me straight to the climb, and then back through a combination of roads that I've been through before but not in this order.

Out into the cold at 6:30, through St Peters to cross the river at Lower Wick, and then Powick, Bransford and Alfrick, for the shortest route to Knightwick, but avoiding the main road. This is an ondulating route, which warmed up my legs for the first climb.

The hill starts with quite a steep ramp, so I dropped to my lowest gear and slowly spun my way up, managing two of the ramps before I needed a rest. Once I got my breath back I was on my way again, and I managed to get to the top without having to stop again, an improvement on the three times I stopped the first time I tried here.

The views over towards Worcester are quite spectacular, though my camera doesn't make them justice.
View attachment 544492
Onwards now taking advantage of the downhill to Martley, which came quick, and then the second hill of the day on the way to Great Witley. This hill is a bit higher, but the climb is nowhere near as steep, so just a matter of keeping the pedals turning, and then rest while gravity does the work going down to Great Witley.

The route now takes me to Holt Fleet, so we are still descending, and I make some good progress up to the short but steep climb to Ombersley.

After Ombersley I take the back lanes to the south edge of Droitwich, but coming onto the A38 at Copcut I found that the lane I was planning to use was closed, so had to reroute through Primsland and Tagwell Rd. The detour was fairly straightforward, and I soon was back on my route, heading towards Huddington through Dunhampstead. I stopped at the crossroads for a bit of a rest, and noticed on the tarmac that far too many people cut this corner
View attachment 544495

Now the last part of the ride takes me through Crowle and the County Hall for home.

Today's ride takes the total for August to 334 miles, which is my highest single month distance, so well chuffed with that.

The map
View attachment 544496
it was 4.5 c when e set off yesterday !

C R

Guru
it was 4.5 c when e set off yesterday !
At this pace we'll be wearing winter clothes in August and summer clothes in February.

Shropshire65LW

Yesterday’s morning ride , took in a few more new lanes , was A nice mornIng, lots of other bikes about strange as I hardly ever see any, certainly a little cooler this week, guess summer is drawing to a end ,
im setting my self a challenge for the next year to do more 20 - 50 mile trips

Attachments

• 2105A0E3-B0C5-4F1E-BDD6-E3E85F367DA3.jpeg
    2105A0E3-B0C5-4F1E-BDD6-E3E85F367DA3.jpeg
    40 KB · Views: 3
  • 4BA191A3-3061-4FF7-9C79-BDBCDCE21FDF.jpeg
    4BA191A3-3061-4FF7-9C79-BDBCDCE21FDF.jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 2
C250413B-18F8-4BD4-BBE8-D5948F15A883.png

93B9E465-05CD-4339-81A2-7FBB0500E099.jpeg

Well, sharing the first Mrs SnG commute, due to her lower experience of the 7 mile route we set off early to have a gentle ride there, followed by yours truly wondering what to do when we parted.
so, off to add some miles on my own!
After a total of 10 miles, I remembered I had no mask to grab some food, so a cafe stop was planned, at the Greenhouse Cafe in Emsworth. After a small breakfast, which is really a novel idea for me, I also purchased a flapjack and coke to assist me later.
Heading North, I decided to capture a few village names for a thread here, although I’m not sure if they have to be ridden in order....feel free to point me in the right direction for this 😀.

Heading East towards home would allow me to capture E, A, D, F, and H... though I ran out of time for G, as Mrs SnG texted to give me an approximate finish time. I had time to eat my flapjack, and rest for a short while, and we met, ready for the ride home together.

14 miles for her, 46 for me, my longest ride for a few years, and also one of the best on the Genesis CDA, which is wonderfully comfortable, and the gears/brakes are all great too. Some good off road surfaces and on road speed (for me) indicate that this bike was a very decent purchase (on C2W) so I’m very happy.
Now, a rest before making cottage pie! 😀
I’ve had the Genesis for 24 days and done 125 miles in this time, Which is pretty good for me, certainly the biggest month’s total for a number of years. In part this has spurred on Mrs SnG, and I think, as long as the weather isn’t too rough, we’ll maybe have 500 at the end of the year.
5254345C-1324-4DE3-8DC5-D708C5A71B4F.jpeg

95425E22-1668-4C50-8C1C-20442C0945F5.jpeg

Last edited:

Cavalol

Guru
Mostly just the usual ride (Millennium Path/through town/Duke's drive/the meadows/the river) but added some more as we found a bit the other side when taking the dog for a walk recently. Anyhow, it was great to ride it on the mountain bike, few little hilly bits in a copse etc.

Half-ars*d attempt at Lower Bridge Street climb, really should have done much better given the head start this time by coming over the Old Dee bridge. Never mind, still enjoyed it.

Crank creaking getting worse, thought it was the pedals as per last time, so rather than get the LBS to take them off and grease them up, I did it myself. The near side came off ok and didn't look bad, but cleaned and re-greased it anyhow. Off side came off, but couldn't get the little 8mm nut off to remove pedal shaft as it's been crossed threaded. Even worse, as I was removing it my bike fell and slipped against the concrete/gravel garage wall. Three scrapes on the too tube now, absolutely livid with myself for that as I pride myself on keeping bikes in the best condition possibly and baulk at people who Kean bikes against lamp posts etc. Probably a bit sad really, after all mountain bikes are meant to be used in the rough etc, but despite riding it across trails, through forests and via fields and rough passes, it was very tidy :sad:

gavgav

Guru
Out for a Bank Holiday Monday ride, with @Rickshaw Phil in lovely sunshine. Chilly first thing and so I started with a jacket on, but still went with shorts.

I met Phil at the entrance to the estate and we set off in the direction of Betton Abbots, Berrington and Cross Houses. I was feeling the legs a bit, from playing cricket yesterday, but a light wind meant we made decent progress on to Atcham, Upton Magna and Withington.

Phil took me down a lane that I’d not ridden before, which was the first of quite a few bits of new territory, on the ride, which is always nice. Onwards we continued, to Roden and Poynton, then very busy lanes to Bings Heath, so much traffic that we wondered if something had happened on the nearby A53, but when we crossed it at Astley, there was no sign of any issues......

The lanes were thankfully quieter to Hadnall, bit of a wait to cross the A49 and then onto more new territory to Yorton, Alderton and Myddle.

Phil at our elevenses stop.

The section from Myddle to Marton is good fun, nice wide road and smooth surface, so some good speed can be found, before we turned back onto lanes again, to Weston Lullingfields and further new territory to Stanwardine in the Fields.

We paused in a gateway, for some lunch, along the lane to Stanwardine.

From Stanwardine, there was a lumpy section to Baschurch and we then decided to take a street through the old part of the village, past the church and the New Inn, to vary the scenery a bit. We had a short section on the main road, where neither of us could remember where the turning we wanted was, being confused a little by a new estate that has sprung up, but we found it and pressed on to Great Ness.

We were passed by 2 ladies, on this section, one apologising for flying past on an electric bike! Her friend was doing her best to keep up, but it was on the climb out of Baschurch, which is a pull.

From Great Ness, we turned onto the lane towards Montford Bridge and I had to stop along there, as my thighs were starting to cramp up. Not had that for a while, I’m blaming yesterdays cricket exertion. At Montford Bridge we joined the main road and the long climb up the hill, to Bicton, which can suffer from excessive traffic on holidays, but not too bad today.

We took Calcot Lane and then the descent through Gains Park, to avoid the busy Shelton traffic lights, then wound our way through the new estate, at Copthorne. Despite there being a lot of traffic about on the ride, everyone had been courteous and well behaved......until this section, where 2 cars decided to overtake us, squeezing past with no room whilst we were overtaking parked cars, which annoyed me a little.

Final stint was through Radbrook and Meole, where we parted ways and I headed on the final half a mile or so home.

Thoroughly enjoyable ride, with the good company of Phil, nice warmish Sunshine and 42.62 miles completed. That brought August mileage up, creeping past the 100 mile mark, to 108, which is my second lowest month of the year, so far. It’s been an odd month of poor weather and other plans. Hoping September will be better.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Almost a whole 10 miles on Dartmoor today from Princetown to Great Mis Tor.

I passed North Hessary tor with its massive TV aerial , down past Swelltor quarry and under Kings Tor.

I crossed the B3357 and made my way up to Great Mis Tor. It was beautiful up there. Calm, blue sky, fluffy clouds, Dartmoor ponies.

I was sat luxuriating in the splendour when I became aware of some loud buzzing flies... turns out I was annoying a bee nest somewhere! I moved away.

Imade my way back via Foggintor quarry.

My slowest ride ever probably, but as enjoyable as any I’ve done!

https://www.strava.com/activities/3991282536

Last edited:
Top Bottom