Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
This morning I checked the temperature before riding away. And I wore enough layers too. Riding the fixed again, with the idea of going along the riverbank path at least as far as Woodlesford.

Having reached that bit, I decided to carry on along the waterside, vaguely thinking maybe Fairburn Ings might be visited. But once back on tarmac at Allerton Bywater the call of the climb up to Ledston Luck was stronger. Turn right at Peckfield Bar and pedal along the A63 to the next roundabout, which offers a left turn to Micklefield. A turn I took. Ride all the way through here and further to the B1217. Turn right and for no change at all pass Lotherton Hall’s gates and turn left for Aberford.

It is a gorgeous road from here to Barwick. A pretty good surface all the way. There is always a ‘but’, in this case that climbing left hand bend not far out of Aberford. Tarmac waves but they can be missed. Large scale views to both sides until the woodland above Cock Beck is reached. Even the last climb to the maypole has enough to see to take your mind off the rasp of hard working lungs . . .

Scholes is next, quiet as ever. As was the A64 and my diversion around three lanes to reach the A58 and all that descent into town. Back across the River Aire before negotiating all the roadworks on the way back to home. The sight of which pasted a grin on my face again, thirty five miles horizontally and 1500 feet of upness. A very good ride indeed.

The way around

View attachment 544798

and the way up and down

View attachment 544799

Poor old Old Jon a shadow of his former self.A grand day out by the looks of it ,no cars brilliant.

Mark pallister

A nice xc Route around some of the cycle paths in the north east
up the derwent walk then down the c to c route through beamish to roker
then straight up the coast to Jarrow and through the ped x tunnel home
nippy start but soon warmed up

Attachments

• 5523B698-86D6-4272-ADE9-5123F652190F.jpeg
    5523B698-86D6-4272-ADE9-5123F652190F.jpeg
    193.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 7270A6D6-EC32-4175-A6C8-FB5C5BF218F4.jpeg
    7270A6D6-EC32-4175-A6C8-FB5C5BF218F4.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 6
  • A07418E7-A43C-4476-BC6B-5D2949DFECA8.jpeg
    A07418E7-A43C-4476-BC6B-5D2949DFECA8.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 6
  • F4800F20-E406-4639-830F-6E764930353F.jpeg
    F4800F20-E406-4639-830F-6E764930353F.jpeg
    336.8 KB · Views: 5
  • DF721DD0-346F-48AB-935F-785F1EEC311E.jpeg
    DF721DD0-346F-48AB-935F-785F1EEC311E.jpeg
    386.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 69B9FB70-EE79-478A-ABAE-96A0BE94AAF1.jpeg
    69B9FB70-EE79-478A-ABAE-96A0BE94AAF1.jpeg
    277.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 1523783E-D9FA-4C4F-BD0D-56F4951A3056.jpeg
    1523783E-D9FA-4C4F-BD0D-56F4951A3056.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 8272BEFB-4488-4068-9BAE-142856446B96.jpeg
    8272BEFB-4488-4068-9BAE-142856446B96.jpeg
    244.1 KB · Views: 8

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Rather tired today but wanted to do a 100K ride as part of the monthly challenges so picked an easy route = no many climbs

104Km Blaby - Countesthorpe - Willoughby Waterlys - Gilmorton -Folesworth - Claybrooke Magna- Monks Kirby - Withybrook - Shilton -Brinklow - Caithron - Easenhall - Brinklow - Caithron- Easenhall (makes it up to 100 when I get home)- Pailton - Claybrooke Parva - Claybroke Magna - Ullesthorpe - Ashby Parva - Leire - Gilmorton - Peatling Magna - Countesthorpe - Blaby

What with a 11k run Saturday, 114k ride Sunday out to Eyebrook reservoir. 6k run Monday, 13k run Tuesday and 6k on the hybrid (not ridden it this year = wanted to take it out to check it still works!) it was hard work - prob should have a day off = made it back and it started to rai 1 min later - good timing!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Did about 22 miles around town on the Raleigh yesterday; shopping and meeting some mates.

This morning went out for some eggs and ended up doing 45 fasted miles on a variation of the standard route that included Wittenham clumps and a few other areas out east. Did (relatively speaking) quite a bit of off-road stuff too; enjoying some really nice forest trail / bridleway at the clumps and beyond Stadhampton. Was averaging about 15mph until I got off the road, due to the harder going and reduced confidence in the slick tyres on the damp earth.

Worked my way through four Pink Floyd albums, removing my earphones on the quiet offroad bits to appreciate the peace of the crunching gravel, gentle clatter of my drivetrain and the occasional buzz of the freewheel. It was very welcome to find myself somewhere rural, quiet and free from people :smile:

Was sunny for a good chunk turning to overcast, wind was SW-ish and was somewhat punishing coming back into the city from the east, on top of having run out of energy. As I crawled up the hill to the house in the granny gear it started spotting with big, sparse drops of cooling, earthy-smelling rain which was nice :smile:

Despite the fact I'd only had 6hrs sleep the night before and was fairly knackered it felt great to get out and will try to make a mental note of this route / the bits I like with a view to using them in future. While a prelude to the hardships of winter I do love autumn and you can definitly feel its presence now.

Unfortunately the CdF's BB is still creaking when climbing, however it only seems to do it "from cold" for some reason. Checked in the first few miles of today's ride it was obvious; maybe 30 miles in it wasn't..

Finally the egg run proved a particular success as they're all bloody huge - to the extent where I couldn't close the lids on many of the boxes.. they weigh around 1.5 times more than those I got last time (which are a touch small but not tiny) at 85 v. 58g. Did take a pic but can't upload it as I've left the camera cable elsewhere :whistle:

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
As with @PatrickPending I wanted to get the 100k challenge ride in today while the weather was good. The route was planned last night and I set out this morning in bright sunshine & light winds - almost perfect conditions.

The end destination was Lowestoft so that i could get the train back home, and the first half of the ride was almost straight up from home to Woodbridge, Wickham Market, Easton and Framlingham on fairly familiar back roads. Out of Framlingham and on to Laxfield via Badingham and then across to Halesworth on some lovely lanes and almost traffic free roads.

Once through town it was back onto the lanes up to Beccles (with the exception of a short 'A' road stretch around Brampton. There's a fairly new southern bypass round Beccles with a decent segregated cycle path which was just as busy as the main road - even with just me on it! Unfortunately it ends before the industrial estate does and is a poorly surfaced stretch until the turn off for Mutford for the final bit of countryside until Carlton Colville and Oulton Broad which are effectively the outskirts of Lowestoft.

Screenshot_2020-09-02 Not the most direct route to Lowestoft Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2020-09-02 Not the most direct route to Lowestoft Ride Strava(1).png

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Combined with some other issues turns out yesterday's 45 fasted miles utterly destroyed me, so even after a half-nine bedtime I didn't feel much like a proper ride today.

Eventually a really nice evening coaxed me out on a gentle, expectation-free bimble around the city on the CdF with a largely Portishead-soundtrack and a nice sunset finish :smile:

Image052.jpg

:smile:

a.twiddler

Veteran
The garden chair rides again. Shades,this time with a clip on mirror attached, and battered cap. The Mirrycle seems to have taken up permanent residence on the front accessory bar.

Aimed to push to 40 miles today. Dry, but a bit breezy so I wore my fleece top. Set off in the direction of Nantwich via Wettenhall. The readjusted bar ends and gear levers felt much more natural, certainly not needing on-the-road adjustment. Even the rear brake felt sharper, at least at low speed. At the Wettenhall bridge traffic lights I stopped behind a large 4WD. The female driver wound down her window and shouted back to me that she had been there on red for ages and was going to go as it was stuck. She went, and I followed her.

I trundled on into the wind but fortunately was sheltered by hedges as I followed the twists and turns of the road. I stopped by the Little Man pub to put my top in the rack bag as I was getting hot, and took a photo.

A little further on I stopped on the bridge over the Middlewich branch of the Trent and Mersey canal at Venetian Marine, Cholmondeston, and took another photo. The canal was very busy, plenty of people and boats about.

I continued and was passed by a huge tractor towing a reeking trailer. It really stank. It must be farm slurry pit emptying time, as I came across several in the course of today’s ride.

I came out on the A534 where I had intended to cross over and come out at the top of Welsh Row in Nantwich but the road opposite was plastered with Road Closed and Cyclists Dismount signs so I turned left instead.

An artic came up behind and loomed over me. I was creeping up to 20mph when I came to a pedestrian crossing outside Reaseheath College where the lights had just turned red. There was no one on my side and I noticed that a cycleway started just by the crossing. I nipped on to the cycleway in order to continue then crossed over as traffic behind was held up by the crossing light. There was a cycleway on this side too. This saved me going round the busy roundabout to get into Nantwich. I continued across the River Weaver on a bridge and had intended to take a short cut into the town centre on a cycle trail following the Weaver but for some reason there was a crowd of people talking at the turn off. I carried on until the cycleway came to a road. I turned on to the main road and continued through Nantwich. Past the railway station, bounced over the uneven railway crossing and turned right for the Whitchurch road. After passing the end of speed limit sign I turned left into Coole Pilate for the lane to Audlem. I would have taken a photo of the bike by the sign but it was just at the junction with the main road with fast traffic passing, so not a good spot.

I pedalled on, over a canal bridge, then in the mirror I saw a couple of mountain bikers behind. I carried on rolling as it was pretty flat, and when I looked again they had dropped behind. The road undulated, in some places quite a gradient. I came to another canal bridge, got up some momentum, then met a tractor and trailer coming over it. I was able to keep moving slowly and got over once the coast was clear. Soon afterwards the mountain bikers went past then turned right following a signpost towards Hack Green not-so-secret bunker. I turned right too. No idea if it was open but I have never been there before. The mountain bikers turned off down a farm track but I followed the road. I arrived at Hack Green and took a photo.

As I was getting ready to go a chap about my age walked past wheeling a drop handlebar Raleigh in nice condition. He made no comment but continued past.

The road continued with a sign warning of a weak bridge ahead. I hoped that it was the bridge over the canal by Coole Pilate locks but as it turned out it wasn’t. I turned round and returned to the road to Audlem. On the way I caught up with the chap wheeling his Raleigh. I asked him if he needed any tools and he said, no, he was just going for a walk. Fair enough, so I continued.
Later, a few road cyclists passed me in both directions on this stretch. I reached the A53 and turned left. I was tempted to turn right on to the Market Drayton road but time was getting on so I continued into Audlem and turned left on to the Nantwich road. Stopped at public toilets in Audlem, photographed a plaque.

Good progress was made on this undulating road, better than on my upright bike I think.

Once in Nantwich I turned on to the Whitchurch road then turned on to the riverside bike path. Where it passes under the railway line it is cantilevered out over the river which I found interesting so I took a photo.

From here onto Welsh Row, with its assortment of ancient and not so ancient buildings, turn right at the lights then turn left at the barriers on the lane which leads to the junction with the road to Wettenhall. A traffic free experience, but someone had been cutting the hedges and with no traffic to sweep the debris to the sides it was a slow balancing act with lots of careful manoevreing to avoid the thorns. Eventually I came to a barrier with Road Closed and Cyclists Dismount signs. I did not dismount but rode steadily through the gap. I came to the A534 crossroads and had to wait a good while for a break in the traffic.

I got across and then carried on steadily in the direction of home. I was going a lot slower than on the way out, but on a recumbent it doesn’t seem to matter, just keep turning the pedals and you get up the hills, and swoop down them. I was noticing the potholes a lot more than on the outward journey, and there are some gnarly ones on this stretch of road. A lot more traffic now, quite a few road bikers going past too, and some positive comments.

Stopped to photograph the sign at Cholmondeston (no idea how that is pronounced).

Eventually got home after 40.25 miles. Max speed 27.2 mph. Average speed 10.2 mph.

Painful above the knees after this ride, no pain after previous rides. Must be the recumbent legs developing! Next time out, try for 50 miles.

Old jon

Guru
Cool again this morning, so remember that extra layer. I still had to return home, though. Stopping at the junction with the main road and it was obvious the headset had developed some slack. Likely I had noticed this the last time I rode the geared bike but had forgotten to adjust it. This is an old fashioned headset, needs a large spanner to adjust it. For the fourth time since I built the bike last February, so I hope it is settled now.

Pieces of music often have second endings, this morning’s ride had a second beginning and even after that I had no clear idea of where I was likely to ride. A trundle through that bit of Holbeck took me to Great Wilson Street, so I crossed the Aire on Crown Point Bridge. This points me northwards, up to Oakwood where due to a road closure a left turn towards the big gates at Roundhay Park was taken. Pass them, turn right and cross the Ring Road to climb to Slaid Hill.

Sort of familiar, go straight on at the top, through Wike to East Keswick. The Potts clock there is either wrong or stopped still. But it did prompt a thought as I was climbing out of the village. How do you set the time on a clock facing out of a house wall? I was once half of the workforce repairing, rebuilding really, a church clock in CleckHuddersFax. The other half must have done the time setting, ‘cos I cannot remember.

Anyway, pedal on, along the A659 again, to Collingham and turn left for Linton. Which offers a different road into Wetherby. There is a bridleway from here to Thorp Arch, or maybe an NCN but I have not seen the number. Cross the Wharfe here on the way to Boston Spa, a left and a right is then the way to Clifford. Ride past the former convent and Bramham is down the other side of the hill. Thorner next, but not on the usual roads. Yep, Thorner Road out of Bramham but instead of following that left handed to Wothersome take the right fork onto Thorner Lane, one of the many around here. Next is Milner Lane.

Towards Thorner. Why all the meandering? I had noticed on Tuesday that I needed thirty five miles today to take my mileage so far this year to 3000. It would have peeved me to finish today’s ride on 2999.9, so meandering it was. And it is a nice stretch of road. Out of Thorner on Carr Lane, cross the A58 to ride up Shadwell Main Street and turn left onto Gateland Lane. Whin Moor Lane back to the A58 and the other end of the closed road I found this morning. Cue more meandering the rest of the way home. And at my door, smiling again, thirty seven miles. And two feet short of 2200 feet of climbing. Not peeved, it was a good ride.

I went this way, anti clockwise,

04092020.jpg

there was some uphill too

0409elev.jpg

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
And this is my ride today. 12 miles on the local roads. Lots of traffic and a tad cool in the breeze but lovely in the sun. There is def an autumnal feel now.

View attachment 544349

View attachment 544350

View attachment 544351

View attachment 544352

View attachment 544353

View attachment 544354

View attachment 544355
Welshie, what are those big green lumpy things in your pics? My 40 miler the other day consisted of getting to a maximum elevation of 41mtrs and my house is at 21mtrs. It's as flat as a snooker table around here.

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Welshie, what are this big green lumpy things in your pics? My 40 miler the other day consisted of getting to a maximum elevation of 41mtrs and my house is at 21mtrs. It's as flat as a snooker table around here.

I live in the foothills of the Cambrian mountains so we have plenty of mountains and hills. That's what those lumpy things are.:laugh:

ianbarton

Veteran
I trundled on into the wind but fortunately was sheltered by hedges as I followed the twists and turns of the road. I stopped by the Little Man pub to put my top in the rack bag as I was getting hot, and took a photo.

Stopped to photograph the sign at Cholmondeston (no idea how that is pronounced).
There used to be a pub called the Boot and Slipper about a mile before you get to the Little Man. It used to be one of my favourite pubs, but some property developer bought it and demolished it, presumably hoping to cram dozens of houses on what is open countryside.

Cholmondeston is pronounced Cholmond Eston.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
farkwittery and fruit tonight.

Took the tandem out for a brief spin to test out new gears - all good. But 'kinell, Friday night drivers take the biscuit. Within first three miles:
- BMW overtook us on a busy A road while we were signalling to turn right
-
Range Rover having passed his turn reversed 100 yards down an urban B road forcing us to take refuge in the gutter rather than safely turn around.
- volvo overtook us on a blind bend, promptly cutting in and barely missing us when oncoming car appeared.
- Audi extremely close pass for no obvious reason other than driver being utterly cretinous

Still, a very pleasant ride afterwards, and bonus of finding a new (to us) damson tree in a hedge, helping ourselves to a kilo or two :rolleyes:

Top Bottom