Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
There used to be a pub called the Boot and Slipper about a mile before you get to the Little Man. It used to be one of my favourite pubs, but some property developer bought it and demolished it, presumably hoping to cram dozens of houses on what is open countryside.

Cholmondeston is pronounced Cholmond Eston.
I have been to the Boot and Slipper many years ago for a meal or two and always think about that when I go past. A sign of changing times when there are so many pubs now boarded up or already flattened ready for new development. The sad thing is, is that new houses are planned so that as many as possible can be squeezed into the space -hence so many 3 storey "town houses" being built anywhere but in towns, with as small a footprint as possible.

So Cholmondeston is pronounced phonetically. Who'd have thought that?

So Cholmondeston is pronounced phonetically. Who'd have thought that?
Yup, would have said something like 'Chumston', myself...

Anyhoo, got out for a short one today, nowt special, just a pootle up to the Leg O'Mutton ramp and back. To it, not up it...
Bike still seems very much more responsive on these wheels, no real idea why it should.

bluenotebob

Veteran
A short leg-stretching/appetite-finding 15km this morning – then lunch, then food shopping. I only got out on the bike again at 1540 .. my legs felt great as I headed north-west but with no real idea of where I was going.

Out through Evriguet on the D2 .. vague thoughts of visiting Josselin but I should be going south-west rather than north-west… I took a L at the Irish pub at le Croix de l’Iff and dropped down in to Mohon. A plan was crystallising … I flew through the Forêt de Lanouée (I can barely remember it) to les Forges, then down to the Nantes-to-Brest canal at Cadoret. What a difference a week makes .. there’s hardly anyone on the canal towpath now (last week it would have been heaving).

Through Josselin then right down to the Pont des Deux Rivières. Onto the V3 Voie Verte – also remarkably quiet – and up to Ploërmel. A bit of drizzle in the air but it was OK. Past Loyat and on to Mauron – low cloud and more drizzle – it was quite dark under the trees. I put my back light on before leaving Mauron – it was really quite gloomy. Home finally with still enough energy left to zoom up a local ramp. Almost exactly five hours since I’d gone out.

94.67km this afternoon – and with the 15km as well this morning, I think I’ll sleep well tonight.

The canal lock at Cadoret (the towpath on the L is Eurovelo 1)

The riverside at Josselin

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Bit of a bonus ride today - earlier in the week today had been forecast to be damp & windy, but it actualy turned out to be dry & quite warm anthough with a bit of a breeze. As a result I was able to get out & complete the hattrick of Cyclechat Challenge rides with a quick 50 miler. This time it was an anti-clockwise loop through Ipswich and out to Hintlesham, then across country to Raydon and down towards Brantham. It was on this road on the approach to East Bergholt that my attention was caught by a bright yellow HPV which turned out to be a Sinner Mango - no picture as who I presume to be the rider was in the adjacent bus shelter preparing his lunch, so this was nicked from the web as I had to look them up.
1599252027702.png

At Brantham the homeward leg started with the run through Stutton & Holbrook round Alton Water and on to Freston and down the hill to the road alongside the River Orwell heading back into Ipswich where the obligatory stop for a picture was taken with some completely disinterested swans for background
River Orwell (2).JPG

Through Ipswich with some very slow traffic holding me up, then out round the top of town on Valley Road and home via Bucklesham.
And now begins seven straight days of nothing other than the commute :sad:
1599252627789.png
1599252651535.png

gavgav

Guru
A short Saturday morning ride, to start my 2 weeks Annual Leave. Cool and cloudy, to start, but sun came out, half way round and it warmed up nicely then. A blustery wind, though, which seemed to get stronger as the ride went on and was one of those annoying ones that always seemed like a headwind!

Route was Bettton Abbots, Condover, Wheathall, Berriewood (note to self that the road from Condover Industrial Estate, to Condover Village, is closed Friday Monday until November!) Cantlop and back home via Betton again.

15.05 miles at 13:4mph avg

Mike_P

Guru
Out mid morning on the Defy in an attempt to avoid the strongest part of the westerly today and for once quite logically outbound westwards; first on the A59 then, via a south east ride up Burley Bank, west on Penny Pot which as I turned on it the wind almost brought me to halt. Trudged westwards noting numerous cyclists enjoying the tail wind heading east while moisture appeared in the wind.

South on the B6451 with another brief outbreak of light drizzle toward Norwood Edge but turned off along narrow lanes; turned a bend and seeing the road rising quite noticeably foolishly stopped thinking I had missed a turn but a glance across the countryside to my right showed a distinct lack of any highway. Decided against trying the climb from a standing start so resorted to Shanks’s Pony.

The main purpose of the ride appeared in a road nameboard – the keyboard “J” of Jack Hill which seems to appear in most atlases, a hamlet without any obvious nameboard.

The generally upwards undulating road was interrupted by a lengthy downhill section signposted as 1 in 8 and rejoined the B6451 around a third of way up the main, southern, climb of Norwood Edge. Continued south across Lindley Wood Reservoir and the subsequent climbs to Farnley where I stopped by the church.

Then across to the B6161 and A658 towards Huby via Gravelley Hill and once again the climb to Armscliffe Crag, unlike Monday devoid of any other cyclists. Back to the A658 via North Rigton, with a PR on Craggy Bottom (!), and the A61 very briefly , turning off to Burn Bridge and a route through the suburbs of Harrogate including a cycleway along a road which looks like it has been closed but in fact never actually opened!

28.23 miles @12.7mph avg 2359ft climbed

Last edited:

Shropshire65LW

yesterdays morning outing , took in more local lanes that i havent been down before , not quite sure how thats possible lived around here 45 + years . nearlly up to the 20 mile mark , not much i know compared with some of you on here but untill lockdown , i havent been on a bike for 20+ years . im aiming for a welsh coast bike packing trip next year when all this crazyness calms down ,

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
As of ten this morning I was 36hrs into a water fast in an effort to get my food allergies back under control.

I was also somewhat restless and motivated as seems to be the case when I've not eaten for a bit, with little to do in Oxford but a number of things requiring attention at the homestead. Being skint I refused to spend the money on petrol to get back and mused upon my chances of making it back on the bike.

I figured I'd probably not die and set out into the now overcast outside with a rucksack full of necessities / emergency food and a view towards a very steady ride back. Extremities were cold to start with but warmed up after a few miles; especially once the beautiful autumn sunshine had made a reapparance :smile:

Lots of traffic on the main roads again; nearly got had crossing one of the roads near Yarnton since the cycle path crossing is pretty much blind at that point and you just have to hammer it and hope, hitting the brakes if you see a car coming from either poorly-sighted direction :rolleyes: As much as it p*sses drivers off tbh I think I'm going to start riding some sections of that road on the dual carriageway as it feels less unsafe than the utterly sh*t cycling infrastructiure that's nailed on as an afterthought..

The traffic was crap heading into Woodstock too, but I largely just cruised past it on the outside before ducking into more secluded lanes and finally onto the nice stretch of NCN5 that runs through fields; made all the more pleasant this time by not encountering a soul on it. This typified the rest of the ride, with very few encounters on the remaining quiet lanes on the way to the village.

I made it back in one piece, a bit spaced and a little achey but otherwise all good, having covered a little over 26 miles and 900ft at 12.2mph and 115bpm for a little under 1000kcal burned. Managed to keep my HR largely below 60% of max apart from on the odd hill; still managed to stay below 85% of max coming over the crest of the worst at 12.5% in the CdF's very welcome 1:1 lowest gear.

It was generally a really nice ride; sunny for a large part and I managed to avoid the looming black clouds occasionally spotted in the distance. The latter part was that quiet that I ended up removing my earphone and just taking in the peaceful ambience; disturbed only by the legit sounds of my drivetrain and less legit creaking from the bottom bracket.. which is something else I need to complain to someone about :rolleyes:

I'm hoping to stretch the fast out as long as possible (it usually takes about three days to see an improvement in the allergy symptoms) so the plan is a sedate rest-of-day here, an early night then all being well heading back tomorrow sans any more food :smile:

EDIT: Today's ride back added to this one as it's not much to talk about. Got a few things done last night and this morning having got up at the customary and hugely-otherwise-out-of-character fasted 06:30 or so.. felt a little ropey but better after some electrolytes.

Somewhat betrayed by the temperature lag inside the house I opted for the trousers I'd taken with me over the shorts worn yesterday, which I instantly regretted on the long hill on the other side of the valley heading out of the village, although as the exertion fell so did my sweatyness so the rest of the journey was more pleasant.

Today I went for the far less pleasant but more direct A-road route out of the village, joining the lovely off-road bit of NCN5 just outside woodstock having shouted the word "prick" for more times than I think I have before inside a half-hour window, thanks to all the close passes :rolleyes:

It was a bit overcast to start with but it got nicer with the autumn sun shining through the overhanging trees and bushes on the cycle path. Rode through Yarnton entirely on the dual carraigeway as I'm sick of the crap cycle paths (generally OK in parts but with atrocious / dangerous integration with side roads etc) and perhaps surprisingly received no abuse. Back into the city on the big roads and down the Woodstock road; slowly reeling in another guy on a touring bike who seemed to be putting in very little effort for the speed he was travelling. Lots of people heading out of the city on bikes too, which was nice to see.

Todays return was shorter but faster than yesterday's journey out (thanks partially to the prevailing wind and gentle downhill on the way back). 19.3 miles and about 400ft at 14.3mph and 134bpm for about 850kcal burned. I've done extended fasts and rides on no breakfast before, but no significant rides on extended fasts.. feels good to explore what I'm capable of if pushed outside my comfort zone, which rarely happens :smile:

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Only 3 on the Saturday Crew ride although I bumped into Bill D on the way to the meet in Upton. So he joined Pete M, John G and me for the first few miles to Revill's. It was the very traditional route today by Eckington and the Combertons helped on the way out with a tail wind. The cafe in Fladbury was extremely well organised for the current emergency. John headed back along the busy, busy main road while Pete and I took the usual route back by Bishampton, Pinvin and Wadborough. We parted in Upton as I was heading homeward while Pete wanted to avoid the climb over the Malverns. Nice easy wee leg turner on this one. 53 smiles

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I took the bikes on the roof rack and headed up to Grafham Water near Huntington with the family to do a lap. Daughter is only 9, so 9 miles is about her limit. Quite a nice sunny day on and off, but breezy!
20200905_234854.jpg

20200905_135513.jpg

20200905_133416.jpg

20200905_142029.jpg

20200905_125355.jpg

Daughter broke her record for getting all the way around the reservoir by 35 minutes, so a good effort by the young lady! She was most pleased.
20200905_142052.jpg

Last edited:

Landsurfer

Veteran
Tour de Sheffield / Rotherham ish ...
" Another fine day in the Corps "

Canals and tarmaced rail tracks abound around here ...

Here in the north we are at the cutting edge in the support of the LGBTQ community........

^_^^_^^_^

Iv'e been cycling to Coopers Bridge at Hillsborough, Sheffield for years .... it appears its not called Coopers Bridge as the new sign shows
Doh !!

Last edited:
Top Bottom