Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
Original plan was to head up to Wales, with @Rickshaw Phil for the first few days of my 2 weeks Annual Leave, but it’s been wet and horrid up there today, so we shelved the plan, for a couple of days cycling back at home in Shropshire, instead. I’m still going to get up to Wales later in the week, when the weather looks to be improving.

We’d arranged an afternoon ride and at about 1pm, right on cue, it started to rain! But a check of the rain radar and it appeared to be a narrow band, which indeed had passed through in half an hour and so I did get up to Phil’s just in time for our 2pm start time.

I also dragged the Hybrid out of hibernation, for the first time since early April, to get used to being back on it again, before Wales.

There was a noticeable strong and blustery headwind, but it was fairly mild and I took jacket off at Phil’s, as I’d overheated on the climb to his place. We set off through his village and very unusually were able to cross straight onto the A49, without having to wait at all. It was hard going into the wind, to Condover, Ryton and Longnor.

We paused for a drink, with the view below to Church Stretton, but unfortunately Phil’s bike fell over whilst we were stopped. Luckily no serious damage appeared to have taken place, but still some unwanted scuffs to his new set up :sad:

Arriving at Longnor, we finally turned out of the wind. Someone seems to have damaged the sign post, or maybe the recent storms have?

We cruised nicely to Frodesley and Acton Burnell, with the wind behind us, then turned off to Cound Moor and Harnage. Rather bizarrely we encountered Spider-Man, Paddington Bear and Leery Len, along here :laugh: I will let Phil expand on this in his report! Unfortunately, whilst Phil was taking a picture of a stuffed Vicar (yes honestly!!) his bike decided to fall over for a second time and scuffed paint off his frame. It wasn’t Phil’s day!

At Cound we turned back into the Wind again, which had changed direction slightly, as we climbed up to Eaton Mascott, Berrington and King Street, before the final stretch through Betton Abbots and parting ways at the entrance to my housing estate.

23.27 miles at 11.6mph avg. The heavy Hybrid is so slow and feels like a tank, in comparison to my Carbon. I will be glad of it on tomorrow’s ride that Phil is taking me on though!

C R

Guru
At our house, we all use Shimano M520 SPD pedals. Never had an issue and we love them (except my wife who refuses to try clipless).
I wanted single sided to be able to wear norm shoes as well as spds, and the decathlon single sided were half the price of the Shimano equivalent. The spd mechanism is fine as far as I can tell and they have tension adjustment. The only annoyance was having to adjust the bearings, because they were set too tight from the factory. The bearing cap was impossible to remove without damaging, and getting the cup and cone adjustment in these buggers is an exercise in patience, which I don't have a lot of at the best of times.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A ride out with @gavgav today. We did have other plans but a poor weather forecast for the Welsh coast scuppered those so we're doing some local rides instead.

Today was a fairly easy one and used a variation of the Longnor, Acton Burnell, Harnage, Berrington route that I do regularly. Gav came up to mine and we set out along the main road to Condover. We didn't have too much traffic on the way to Condover and the road the other side of the village was fairly quiet apart from meeting an artic, a large tractor & trailer then a bus in quick succession where it gets a bit narrow.

A pause for a drink was taken at the Ryton turning. I'd propped up the Raleigh, stepped away to take a photo and there was a crash from behind me as the bike fell over. Had to straighten the left hand brake lever and the new gear shifter is scuffed. Not the end of the world but a bit :sad:.

We plodded on into the wind to Longnor but then turned to have it helping and got along well to Acton Burnell, trying to dodge wasps along the way. It seemed as though every inch of hedge has a cloud of the little devils buzzing round. No stings thankfully.

Turning past Concord College the wind continued to help us as we made our way to Cound Moor and along the nice straight here where we found Spiderman stuck in a hedge.:laugh: We laughed and I took a photo, only to find that turning towards Harnage there were more odd sights so I'm guessing the parish is having a scarecrow festival.^_^ Carrying on along this road to Cound we needed to hop onto the side of the road for two more big vehicles - a coach and another articulated lorry - it's certainly the day for them. Another photo stop at Cound resulted in the Raleigh slipping against a wall taking a scrape out of the paint on the right hand seat stay this time.:sad: Not my day.

We took the lane through Eaton Mascott to get to Berrington which is as undulating as ever and sandy under wheels in places, though I've seen it worse. The wind had shifted slightly so that it wasn't helping to Weeping Cross as we'd have liked then was against us as we headed for the point where we part company.

My speedo has recorded 23.1 miles at 12.1 mph average.

Second attempt at getting the photo at Ryton.

Spiderman in a hedge near Mosterley..... because that's not strange at all.:crazy:

Farmer Paddington delivers some firewood at Harnage.

Gav gets to meet Leery Len.:laugh:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Nice work @C R for not binning it on your maiden(!) clipless voyage!

@gavgav - sucks about Phil's bike.. that would really ruin my day (or week) :sad: At least he was still smiling (assuming that's him in the pics!).

My fast and associated low energy levels continue but I felt the pull of a nice, properly autumn-smelling day earlier so went out for a pootle around town on the Raleigh. In contrast to the 45 miles covered on the Genesis over the past two days this was a lot more sedate; clocking about 12 miles at a monstrous 8.7mph - I think this is actually the slowest recorded ride I've ever done :whistle:

It was quite interesting viewing the roads from the perspective of a slower rider; which makes being assertive and mixing with traffic a lot more difficult and IMO furthers the argument for cycle paths that are totally separated from the roads.

I pulled off the tow path at Iffley to overtake some folks (something that didn't happen very often on this ride; usually quite the opposite) which presented a nice semi-autumnal scene:

Image054.jpg

Coming back through town the aromas wafting from the various fast food outlets were enticing, but I've started seeing some improvements in my allergy symptoms today so I'm resolute to press on for a bit longer, probably without any more rides until I've eaten though..

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
John B and I met up for a flat one. Off through the lanes for Tewkesbury was our start. We took the more traditional route by Bredon to ride around the flanks of Bredon Hill. Then it was cross country for Broadway. We were early for the arranged meet so we jinked around town and climbed to Snowshill. Then lanes took us past Broadway Tower before we descended Fish Hill taking to the cycle path dodge into the top end of Broadway. This is the quiet and most scenic part. Jules H was waiting outside the cafe and Pete M turned up not long after. Much chats later we sped away lead by John and Pete. By Elmley Castle the speed fest had ended and we set to rounding more Bredon Hill flanks as we took the traditional run back. Not too bad a ride out in the flat lands. 70 smiles

8mph

Veteran
Yesterday's ride, Foggintor Quarry Dartmoor - Ashburton, via "The Abbots Way" total distance 16 miles, time 9 hours.

I'm so glad I talked a friend into coming along for this ride, it started easily enough then the track basically disappeared and took us across miles of open bogland. There was complaining, there was rain, mud, rock, more complaining but eventually, the scenery became too spectacular for whinging and we just had to persevere at a pitiful 1.5mph average. I had a spectacular crash doing just 2mph when failing to mount a clapper bridge and ended up face down, needing assistance to untangle myself from bike and luggage.

After 10 miles cross country, we hit the tarmac for a wonderful 2-mile descent into Buckfastleigh. Today I feel absolutely zonked, not just the legs but everything!
:laugh:

AndreaJ

Veteran
Another warm morning but no sunshine although at 8am the weather forecast said it was definitely not going to rain by 9am it changed to definitely was going to rain! Set off to Northwood where the temporary traffic lights are stuck on red again although someone had taped signs on them saying they were stuck no cars coming so carried on through to Hampton Bank, Welshampton turned up to Coptiviney towards Ellesmere but turned up Sandy Lane by the Mere to Trench, down Cae Goody Lane to Elson and into Ellesmere , decided to go through the High Street as I haven’t been there for years and round the one way system towards the marina. Turned off to Lee, Lower Hordley, Bagley, Weston Lullingfields into Baschurch, Eyton, Myddlewood, Marton, Burlton, Loppinton, Wolverley and home. It didn’t rain other than a bit of drizzle but did get a bit windy after I left Ellesmere. 33.8 miles @15.5mph. Not many people out today, normally I see a few cyclists out on a Monday.

Got home and grabbed the CDA to meet Mrs SnG on her commute home, that’s the third one she’s done in the last 7 days, having never commuted before!
I got 3 miles along and she was coming the other way, all dressed up and smiling away to herself. It was good to cycle the last half with her, and her total is now 45 miles commuting!
We have been lucky to move closer to her work ( farther from mine!) and the route is almost traffic free. Her confidence has grown immensely, and she’s now on her bike without any concerns that I’m not with her.

13 rider

Guru
Couldn't find your ride yesterday thread so I will post it here. Target was an imperial ton for the monthly challenge . Plotted a route on new roads to me heading to Royal Leamington Spa . Out the door at 0615 and it's a bit chilly still in shorts but arm warmers and a gillet were donned . Anstey ,Desford ,Thurlaston to Sharnford were I picked up the Fosse way and old Roman road and for the next 18 miles I was on a fairly straight rd with hardly on junctions and no big hills so it was like being on a turbo for an hour pedelling with no rest . Finally turned off the Fosse way to Royal Leamington Spa . On to Warwick I had plotted the route without really take notice as to exactly were it went so was pleasantly surprised to get an excellent view of the castle as I crossed the river . Rode right past the castle gates . Found myself on a lovely cycle path as I bypasted 2 busy islands .Next stop was Hatton locks cafe at 50 miles in ,which was quite busy so I had a nice rest while The Latte and sausage bap were consumed .Warming up now so arm warmers and gillet were stashed in my back pockets . Some lovely lanes got me to Kenilworth and another castle not quite as impressive as Warwick but still an interesting building . Meriden the centre of England so the sign says . Over the climb at Hartshill then back in to a familiar route home Market Bosworth ,Desford and for a change this year the legs were still feeling ok so I even added an extra few miles on and home 109 imperial miles in the bag in 5 seconds over 7 hours . 5092ft of uppnes no big climbs just rolling terrain . Really enjoyed the route I will be invading @Milkfloat territory again soon . The ride gave me a new Eddington number of 77

Mike_P

Guru
Sunday was Metric Century day and an encounter with @Spiderweb territory as the Defy headed initially south east to Wetherby again; same route as last Monday except turned off the A661 passing through a landscape largely awaiting the arrival of autumn colours

to join the route of NCN67 at Follfoot to the approval of the Wahoo whose Komoot sourced route had the NCN followed entirely. Back on the A661 at Spofforth to the Wahoos annoyance and the TTLs had gone in Wetherby. Missed a turning and cycled down a pedestrianised street seemingly lawfully as no signs precluded such.

East to Thorpe Arch where the parallel stretch of NCN665 made the Wahoo briefly happy but then I completely missed the turning south east onto that NCN (absolutely no signs next to the road ) so continued east to Wighill socially distanced behind another cyclist with hoards of cyclists heading west. Reaching a T junction I noticed a low wall ideal for stopping for a snack and thereafter turned south towards Tadcaster

where a set of traffic lights were fortunately on red as I realised I needed to go right, over the River Wharf and passing Cycle Sense and the John Smiths Brewery. Back on a southerly route on the A162 crossing over the A64 and east on the B1223 where the Wahoo returned to a happy state directionally wise.
Across the swing bridge at Cawood and a short distance further the keyboard “K” of Kelfield

where it took me a good few metres to work out the Wahoo was telling me do a U turn. Slightly puzzled I looked up Komoot on my phone and it told me I had no routes planned!

Back tracked over the swing bridge and carried on the B1222 south-east, pausing on a road side bench for a snack, before turning north to Biggin and west, with a spot or two of light rain, to the keyboard “L” of Little Fenton where I was concerned that no name board existed until I spotted an directional sign. Threw byes on “Z” and “X” and northwards quickly reached the “C” of Church Fenton and not your normal crossing lights.

Briefly rejoined the outbound route in reverse before turning off west through Stutton with another bye on “V” to reach the “B” of Bramham where I got confused by the Wahoos directions and the map screen was devoid of any plotted route; transpired I had missed a right turn. Went down a 1 in 9 according to the road sign and ended up doing a big loop south then north and was just about to follow the A168 signs across the A1(M) when I saw another Bramham nameboard ahead but still no joy from the Wahoo, however I did come across the start of a NCN with a familiar number; 67.
Decided to follow the NCN as it was nicely surfaced and remained so as it paralleled the A1(M) and turned away at ninety degrees until it curved slightly and went upgrade with a right angle turn on an unmade gravelly surface – opted for Shanks’s Pony being the safer option. It joined a farm track initially in reasonable condition, bar the fact the bike was in completely the wrong gear for the gradient so it was somewhat a hop along motion until it levelled out and become noticeably pot holed so now a zig zag forward motion. Another right angle turn and a proper surface reappeared and the route returned to parallel the A1(M) to Junction 45 and then followed a routing around the roundabouts, nearly made more entertaining by two cars only just missing each other.

Followed the NCN to Wetherby then through the town to rejoin the NCN along the old railway line to Spofforth with a happy Wahoo again. Took a break by the castle.

Up Haggs Road to annoy the Wahoo again, down and up Rudding Lane and up the A661 briefly which was completely grid locked in the opposite direction by traffic queuing for a recycling site.
66.04 miles / 106.28km @ 13.9mph avg 2592ft climbed and a lot of limited elevation in the middle third of the ride, suspect the slight peaks on the elevation profile for that part are the bridges over the railway lines. Made it home in time to see the last 5km of TDF then it started raining heavily - timed nicely!

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Couldn't find your ride yesterday thread so I will post it here. Target was an imperial ton for the monthly challenge . Plotted a route on new roads to me heading to Royal Leamington Spa . Out the door at 0615 and it's a bit chilly still in shorts but arm warmers and a gillet were donned . Anstey ,Desford ,Thurlaston to Sharnford were I picked up the Fosse way and old Roman road and for the next 18 miles I was on a fairly straight rd with hardly on junctions and no big hills so it was like being on a turbo for an hour pedelling with no rest . Finally turned off the Fosse way to Royal Leamington Spa . On to Warwick I had plotted the route without really take notice as to exactly were it went so was pleasantly surprised to get an excellent view of the castle as I crossed the river . Rode right past the castle gates . Found myself on a lovely cycle path as I bypasted 2 busy islands .Next stop was Hatton locks cafe at 50 miles in ,which was quite busy so I had a nice rest while The Latte and sausage bap were consumed .Warming up now so arm warmers and gillet were stashed in my back pockets . Some lovely lanes got me to Kenilworth and another castle not quite as impressive as Warwick but still an interesting building . Meriden the centre of England so the sign says . Over the climb at Hartshill then back in to a familiar route home Market Bosworth ,Desford and for a change this year the legs were still feeling ok so I even added an extra few miles on and home 109 imperial miles in the bag in 5 seconds over 7 hours . 5092ft of uppnes no big climbs just rolling terrain . Really enjoyed the route I will be invading @Milkfloat territory again soon . The ride gave me a new Eddington number of 77
Next time give me a heads up and if you fancy a wingman for a while I will join you, failing that I can let you know about some must ride roads.

Old jon

Guru
This is proper, a grey breezy morning for me to go on a bike ride. The geared bike today, I think the two should mostly be ridden alternately. But jumping ahead a bit I had a call from Spa just after I reached home. Pick up my new bike tomorrow. Oh yes please!

Return to the beginning. Having been asked where I was riding, before setting off, it was easy to just follow the mental list of places to ride through. Oakwood and its stolen clock first. Used to belong to Kirkgate Market, that clock. Along the Wetherby Road and up Boot Hill, then a left onto Whin Moor Lane. Shadwell and Slaid Hill are next and Wigton Lane (?) to Alwoodley Gates. A very unofficial right turn there, you know, go straight on, U and turn left from the other side of the lights.

Ride the bridleway to Eccup reservoir, straight ish on to Eccup. Turn right to go to Weardley and by the end of Rawden Hill find the road is closed. Rawden Hill takes me to the A659 anyway. Rode back along that and at the other end of the road through Weardley saw that telegraph poles were being replaced. Or maybe it’s a new installation, 1926 telegraphy reaches Weardley?

Back to the A61 at Harewood Bridge, cross the Wharfe and carry on to the right turn to Kirkby Overblow. This road is a bit up and down, said my legs, and it continues undulating all the way to the village of Sicklinghall.

Which is mostly downhill. But after leaving the village, you’ve guessed, up and down we go. Carry on to Wetherby, ride back across the Wharfe and along the A58 to the bottom of Jewitt Lane in Collingham. And up. After breath returns an easy pedal to East Rigton, keep going and then down Milner Lane into Thorner. Because I wanted to ride out of there up Sandhills. And easy then, turn right to return to the A58, really whizzz down that ‘orrible ‘ill and back across town goes I. Forty two miles since the last time I saw my front door, and oh aye! The elevation plot puts me under water again, 18 feet below sea level. Just as I left Wetherby. Glad the tide was out. Had to smile though, 2400 feet of climbing, above sea level. Great ride.

From above . . .

08092020.jpg

and from the side,

0809elev.jpg

Yesterday's ride. So wired about discovering further nice things about the Revell mixte, I forgot to write it up...
Usual NCN27 route, took it as far as Cann Viaduct to ensure I did over 2o miles.
Bike is still silky, can't quite get over it. Beginning to think the bearings must have been a bit tight on the old wheels!
Will check, as I intend to fit them, probably temporarily given the sparse remaining braking thickness, to the Revell.
Quite busy again, however, the low average is a result of a MMR glitch, which told me I'd done 16.82 miles every two minutes from when I'd done 16.82 miles until I got home, then woke up. Annoying.
Was stopped in Tavistock Meadows by a couple from Brixham scouting out that section of 27. They've sold their Speshes and gone e-bike, and want to try 'em out on the route.
Actually got wet on this ride, intermittent mizzle here and there. Oh well, made it easier to wipe the mud off!

gavgav

Guru
Second ride of the week with @Rickshaw Phil and some new territory, along with big hills!! Set out to meet Phil, down in Meole and first thing I noticed was that it was warm but extremely windy, to the point that I was struggling to get above about 7 or 8 mph, on the flat!

Met Phil and we continued through Nobold, Hook-a-Gate, Annscroft, Plealey, Pontesbury and Minsterley. Nothing particularly to mention along there, other than the headwind, which had been in our faces for 10 miles and made it very hard going.

From Minsterley, we joined the new territory, for me, to Plox Green and then began the steep climbing up to Snailbeach. At least we’d turned out of the wind, mostly and got into a decent climbing rhythm. We paused and admired the first of some lovely views we would be seeing today.

The climbing continued, up through Stiperstones village, Pennerley and The Bog (yes that is it’s name!) until we reached the lower slopes of The Stiperstones Hill, itself and views to the Devil’s Chair, on the summit, plus Corndon Hill to our right. We could see a shower over that direction, but it missed us.

We kept climbing and eventually arrived at the road summit, just over 1400 feet and paused for photos, plus a lunch stop in the car park where you can walk from, to the Devil’s Chair.

We then enjoyed the pass over the top of the hill and a fast steep descent down to Ratlinghope and our pub stop at The Bridges. We arrived bang on opening time, at 12pm and sat outside enjoying Three Tuns Beer (XXX for me and Cleric’s Cure for Phil). So nice to be able to stop for a pint on a ride, again.....make the most of it whilst we can!

The legs were pretty stiff by now, as we set off again, in the direction of The Longmynd and some more serious climbing. I must admit I was flagging a bit by now and it felt harder work getting up onto the Mynd and to High Park, before an exhilarating fast descent to Leebotwood.

The short section on the A49 was fine and from there it was a general downward trend, thankfully, to Longnor, where we stopped and realised there was no longer a breath of wind, typical when it should have been helping now!! It had also gone really warm and muggy, but some nice sunshine.

The final stint was to Ryton, Condover, Betton Abbots and home.

A very tough but extremely enjoyable ride, other than that wind for the first part.

36.95 miles, with 2789ft of climbing and a snails pace 9.6mph avg.

Last edited:
Top Bottom