Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Nice work folks - some grand photos again in this thread and I'm liking the amount of steel on show :becool:

Yesterday was supposed to be an early, shortish, fasted trip to Whittenham Clumps to enjoy the lovely weather and my (for the moment at least) much improved mental outlook.

Sadly the reality proved less idyllic; leaving later than planned and getting repeatedly, hopelessly lost in Didcot / the local expansive waste management site (thanks to the atrociously laid out / signposted cycle infrastructure in one spot; which otherwise isn't too bad in the town).

Thanks to this and to a lesser extent some fannying about earlier / various compounding navigational errors on my part I never made it to the clumps; having to abort early in order to meet a mate at the pub. As I headed back toward the city my plan gradually changed from "home, shower, eat, walk to pub" to "straight to pub!" grabbing a scotch egg and a packet of pork scratchings at the local butchers to serve as a welcome 16:30 breakfast :whistle:

While the weather and scenary were great (mundane industrial estates and stinking recycling centre of Didcot notwithstanding) the ride was spoiled by the frustration of getting trapped in the town (one of he escape roads was found to be closed too, causing more issues), failing to reach my intended destination and the mounting pressure of getting back on time / sub-optimal situation of having to sit outside the pub in my scant cycling gear..

On the up side I did ride through Bagley wood again near the beginning of the ride (which as always was fantastically tranquil and beautifully lit) and I took the proper camera so got some photos too. I think I've scored some more desktop wallpaper, even if the associated ride is one to forget!

Some lesser-spotted proper gravel on Chiswell Lane (looks more grim than it was thanks to shooting into the sun and under-exposing to get most of the sky in). IMO the Genesis excels on terrain like this..

IMG_0982.JPG

The beginning of the ascent towards the Boar's Hill Scout camp, which tops out at about 9.5%:

IMG_0991.JPG

Bagley Wood:

IMG_0993.JPG

Love this shot - the light was perfect. Once tweaked might get it printed on a canvas. This is just the sort of propaganda posted by many on here that furthered my yearning for a gravel bike and I'm not at all disappointed by the reality of the additional areas it allows me to explore 😊

IMG_1002.JPG

IMG_1010.JPG

As close as I managed to get to the clumps!

IMG_1012.JPG

Finally the view looking back down my ascent towards the Whittenhams. After this I had to buckle down and get my arse in gear to meet my prior appointment!

IMG_1013.JPG

Haven't uploaded the ride yet but from memory it was about 46 miles at 12.5mph; ironically further as a result of my effort to cut it short than it would have been had I just taken the regular route there. Was a good bit of mixed riding though and burned a decent amount of energy, which along with my low carb intake yesterday is serving to keep my post-fast weight nailed down nicely to an all time low so I can't complain too much.

Totting it up in bed last night I reckon I've done about 125 miles in the last week (both on the CdF and Raleigh about town) so not a bad effort by my standards I guess. My arse is bloody sore again though :sad:

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
There was some blue in the sky, I am sure. But when I looked again it had gone. I was going for a ride anyway, to Naburn. Thought I should show my face at a family gathering at the marina there.

A bit of breeze blowing that seemed to be from the usual direction. Down to Holbeck, out on Great Wilson Street and turn left towards Leeds Bridge. A sort of shortcut to the Armouries and the path along the river to Woodlesford. After passing Thwaite’s Mill there was a lot of leaf fall around. That bit is trees both sides, so maybe not surprising. Cross the canal on the bridge with the flight of steps on the far side, loads of fun.

At Woodlesford back on the road and ride through Swillington to Garforth and its cliff. That’s the last of the uphill for quite a while. And the bike seemed to be flying along very easily indeed. I fooled myself into thinking it was a cross wind. Along the A63 for a fair old distance and then turn left onto the B1222. As far as navigation is concerned, the ride needs no more, this road goes to Sherburn. And Cawood. And Naburn. Other villages too, and thankfully not in a straight line.

As was evident after sandwiches and cups of various. Flying along no longer applies, this was a wind in my face and the land is flat all the way back to Garforth. Nothing to hinder the wind. Thoughts of extending the ride were blown away, I sat on the saddle and explored the lower gears. On the middle chainring even, and I guess, I need the exercise so should stop grumbling.

There is some harvesting going on, judging by the number of gigantic vehicles I saw. All sorts of traction arrangements, and spouts and blades and tines and discs scattered liberally everywhere. Imagine what the dashboard looks like. So, back the way I came, at Woodlesford I met another couple of riders, he was riding a Spa tourer, considerably older than mine. Told me he had ridden it in the Hebrides, I would have liked to have heard more, but they were going downriver, I was going up.

And upstream was a very quiet stretch of Trans Pennine Trail. That flight of steps was slowly ascended and then it is easy going all the way back to where I started. Sixty miles and over two thousand feet up made me smile, and a shower took away the fatigue. Cannot be bad!

Out and back in one trace

11092020.jpg

All above sea level for a change

1109elev.jpg

ianbarton

Veteran
Another loop through Wem, with a compulsory cafe stop. Quite windy on the way out, but it was a big help on the homeward loop. In fact, it was so good that I achieved a maximum speed of 548km/h! I suspect that this was because the Elemnt lost signal in the cafe and I noticed it struggling to give me a speed reading for a few miles. However, the GPS track is correct. Maybe next time I'll break the sound barrier!
IMG_20200911_162359838_HDR.jpg

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
Fastest ride for me so far today, this follows my furthest ride so far earlier this week - what a great week :becool:. Nearly 60km next to The Danube at an average 31.4kmh / 19.5 mph. It was lovely out there early morning. If the conditions allow (no wind) I’d love to crack 20mph this year before winter arrives.
I hope everyone else is having fun !.

delb0y

Legendary Member
Short ride round the lanes. 10 miles or so. I've come to realise that it hasn't been lockdown, but rather losing the dog and the two walks a day that we used to go on, that has done for my fitness. It's not just the not going on the walks, but I'm sat down on the sofa instead - so a double whammy, less exercise, more sitting down. Need to do something!

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Yesterday's Ride which I've called "3 Devils"

An early morning start got me to the meet with Andy G. We were soon under way taking the lovely ride up by the Elan Valley reservoirs. They are all now full and excess water is bringing the river back to life. What a difference from our last passage just a week or so ago. It made a change to ride upward and the views are maybe better, certainly different as the water is on the visible left. The mountain road was it's usual wonderfulness with this "reverse" direction giving a new experience. We had to tough out a strong headwind over the moors and the valley road to Cwmystwyth was tough due to the funneling effect. Beyond Cwmystwyth we climbed to the Devil's Arch. The first of our devils. Devil's Bridge (number 2) is at the bottom of the descent so we decided to take advantage of the Woodlands cafe with 25 miles in our legs. The next section was to be a bit of unknown territory. We took to some lovely empty lanes away from the obvious B road which took us on a rolling up and down route with views to the Welsh Mountains and the lower valley in which a large marsh was designated as a nature reserve. Tregaron is where a bunch of roads meet. It's a strange wee town and doesn't seem to have many facilities. So now we were beginning the mountain road but before too long we spied a spot for our picnic lunch. Some little feathered friends teased us with calls and brief sightings in the trees. Lunch for them too. We now climbed upward. some long sections of up were dealt with in the appropriately slow fashion. At the top of one pull the view showed a track heading off into the hills, a road heading for Lynne Briane and a big climb over a mountain shoulder. That was our way (of course). We were now approaching the Devil's Staircase (number 3). There are a sequence of 25% climbs with some superb views. I'm pleased to say we both managed to climb the 25%'ers. Being and ancient mountain goat I have a 1:0.75 gear available. Andy has 1:1. I'd been over this road in the opposite direction many years ago and it was these 25% hills which had stuck in my mind. Much of the scenery has changed as forests had been felled and in some cases replanted. At Abergwesyn we had conquered the staircase and it was a pleasant ride to Beulah. Road choices run out here so we must take to a wide road with a B designation. Sometimes B roads are quite quiet but not this one. Furthermore it had not been graded so progress was slow with an up and down series of longish 10%'ers. I do like to get my big roads done quickly but this 8 miles was not easy, At Newbridge-on-Wye we took to an A road. Again trafficked as might be expected but at least it was a faster ride on good tarmac and little opposition from gradient. I'd spotted a lane a few miles along here so we got off the A road over the only bridge in the valley and took to a very pleasant run with some steep little ups back to the Elan valley and the well known run back to Rhayader. So 2 mountain roads conquered and 3 Devils exorcised it was time to load up for the drive home. 80 smiles and nearly 8600 feet of ups (and downs).

Attachments

• P1010649.JPG
    P1010649.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 3
  • P1010650.JPG
    P1010650.JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 3
  • P1010651.JPG
    P1010651.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 3
  • P1010652.JPG
    P1010652.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 3
  • P1010653.JPG
    P1010653.JPG
    195.5 KB · Views: 3
  • P1010654.JPG
    P1010654.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 4
  • P1010655.JPG
    P1010655.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 3
  • P1010656.JPG
    P1010656.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 3
  • P1010657.JPG
    P1010657.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 3
  • P1010658.JPG
    P1010658.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 3

Mike_P

Guru
The dancing trees outside indicated 50 miles on the Defy today would be something too much of a toil so that knocked on the head in order to resolve quickly the need to go to Sainsburys by Monday.

Decided to go the long way round and immediately struck an ebike KOM on the “Worlds Full Climb” (Cornwall Road and Harlow Moor Road), with no TTLs on it for once although a set immediately afterwards.

Managed to get this route right for once with an easy left turn on immediate right turn off the A61, and on the bridleway all dogs were well behaved but yet again the gate on showground hill was locked. Someone had a least cut back the hedgerow making use of the foot/bike bypass easier as it was getting a bit dicey with the angle of the wheels on the cattle grid immediately beyond.

For the return then another indirect route pass the queuing cars for the recycling site and on a cycle way through a park, up to Forest Lane Head and along the old railway line to the suburban part of Bilton Lane. Thoughts of heading west on the A59 were scuppered by the headwind and a westerly route taken in steps south and north in-between.

Result was the ebike has been out everyday this week with a grand total of 3105ft climbed in 44 miles.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Bit of a strange one for me -- I was out doing some laps of regents park and i came across an older geezer that gave me the impression that he was there just to set a steady pace and get some laps in like myself. There was no verbal or non verbal communication between us, There was no eye contact either. We just fell together in a chain gang taking turns to pull each other around the park. The only communication between either of us was when we were signalling to turn left.

We were both there at the right place at the right time :okay::okay:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Wonderful 40 miles on the tandem in soft afternoon autumnal sunshine.

A rolling start, then a proper test of the new lower gearing on the climb of Bosley Cloud. After recovery from much gasping and near collapse, the view of the Peak District from the top could be properly appreciated:

From the Cloud, the descent to Congleton is magnificent, long, fast but safe and the view stretches from the Long Mynd through the whole of Cheshire with Welsh mountains behind. At 40mph, taking a picture wasn't an option though...

In order to bypass Congleton, the route takes you past the Egerton Arms in Astbury. It would have been rude not to stop...

From there it's flat pretty much the whole way. Jodrell Bank glowing in the light and nothing too strenuous from legs scrambled on the earlier climbs. Perfect.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A nice easy 20 mile ride here today back in Norfolk.
82F97E03-782B-4E03-A092-3166BD8D334D.jpeg

First off through Burnham Thorpe. Lord Nelson’s village. I think his father was vicar at this church.

14141A3F-9625-4DDB-A987-61F845EE2BD4.jpeg

On through the Holkham estate. This is the route towards Wells from Holkham Hall.

260D02B7-DF6C-4304-A3FC-BE00E380F991.jpeg

Wells was a bit busy so headed out to the beach/ woods.
The pine woods of Holkham are idyllic. Treecreepers and Goldcrests everywhere.

3D64B9CD-9A50-4D54-B86C-62466EE97CAD.jpeg

I then headed back south inland along the long track to New Holkham though this is the view back north toward the sea and ultimately I guess Norway, a place which as a kid here I'd always hoped, optimistically, I'd be able to see from here.

93E7F627-622B-47E5-AE04-D254E72F4A7D.jpeg

Then on back through the Triumphal Arch. It’s available as a holiday let- looks fab. Just £900 ish per week: https://www.norfolkcottages.co.uk/north-norfolk-coast-cottages/holkham/1941-the-triumphal-arch

A v pleasant couple of hours in the saddle here in bootiful Norfolk.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A nice xc Route around some of the cycle paths in the north east
up the derwent walk then down the c to c route through beamish to roker
then straight up the coast to Jarrow and through the ped x tunnel home
nippy start but soon warmed up

@Mark pallister

Any reason why you appear to have jumped north after the ped tunnel to go straight towards Wallsend High Street rather than take NCN 72 Hadrian's Way?

Let me guess, extra miles for a metric century, plus the riverside track along that stretch is messy with lots of junctions and bike restrictions.

Mark pallister

@Mark pallister

Any reason why you appear to have jumped north after the ped tunnel to go straight towards Wallsend High Street rather than take NCN 72 Hadrian's Way?

Let me guess, extra miles for a metric century, plus the riverside track along that stretch is messy with lots of junctions and bike restrictions.
Nope it’s where I live
And couldn’t give a toss about a metric century
I live in Britain so use miles 😂

Top Bottom