Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shropshire65LW

This mornings ride was eventful!
Last time I fell off was in York around 2003.
So, its my birthday, and I fell off.
No harm done, wrist hurts a bit though, so heres the culprit...
View attachment 545698
Somewhere between Shocklach and Bangor-on-Dee, Conti 32c's hit their limit and thorn bush awaited to collect me.
Stopped off at St. Ediths Norman church, no pic as half my photos won't load (whats going on today?)
Down to Bangor, lovely weather and a pleasure to be out once I had removed remainder of said thorns from shorts!
View attachment 545699
View attachment 545700
Awful lot of cyclists out and about I will do this patch a bit more I think, some stunning countryside on the Dee borders.
View attachment 545701
31.6 miles in total. Being treated to lunch in a bit, so i will say ta ta and enjoy the rides :okay:
Not that far from me , I’ve walked a bit around there never cycled

Shropshire65LW

Few more new lanes I explored on my door step , a quiet day not many about , head wind all the way not

sure how that can happen , but enjoyable
few buzzards about and what looked like a flash of a stoat not very over you see them
I stop to take a couple of pics , looks like a wall but it’s actually the remains of a old railway bridge
I believe it stop being used in 1967 but Im sure that bridge was up in the 80s a new bypass to the village has been built now so it’s a quietish stretch of road throu the village

Last edited:
Not that far from me , I’ve walked a bit around there never cycled
Lucky you! I think its a beautiful area, the Dee is well, a bit dull in Chester where I live (many would disagree!) but from Bangor across to the aqueduct and on to Llangollen its stunning, reminds me of a nice holiday in the Aude region of France 5 years ago, heres a couple more from last ride there in June

Mark pallister

Windy but very warm up the Northumberland coast and back home over the fields
we won’t get many more days like this

Attachments

• 17201FB4-3A95-4634-9E8A-1A5716400F0F.jpeg
    17201FB4-3A95-4634-9E8A-1A5716400F0F.jpeg
    51.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 260EDB2A-D4E4-4493-92E0-4898EBD84EA3.jpeg
    260EDB2A-D4E4-4493-92E0-4898EBD84EA3.jpeg
    218.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 78FF1B57-A8E7-43FF-84D1-0B2E3795C1F6.jpeg
    78FF1B57-A8E7-43FF-84D1-0B2E3795C1F6.jpeg
    323.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 84D230B2-81C1-4D80-A7D1-ACFFE863D2EF.jpeg
    84D230B2-81C1-4D80-A7D1-ACFFE863D2EF.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 2
  • D6BEB900-D5AB-406D-9FB9-1666D403A82A.jpeg
    D6BEB900-D5AB-406D-9FB9-1666D403A82A.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 68A92996-1474-4D1A-9C15-5AD6AFDDB498.jpeg
    68A92996-1474-4D1A-9C15-5AD6AFDDB498.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 3
  • BB2D2925-B982-4EC4-92EC-F4F28B160C54.jpeg
    BB2D2925-B982-4EC4-92EC-F4F28B160C54.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 2
  • FA89DC15-A9BE-420A-BE78-A90D33AA7978.jpeg
    FA89DC15-A9BE-420A-BE78-A90D33AA7978.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 2
  • EAEF2F2F-DBDC-4313-8186-5B8F36A19C37.jpeg
    EAEF2F2F-DBDC-4313-8186-5B8F36A19C37.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 2

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Gav's already beaten me to it, but here's my take on our ride yesterday:

It was downhill with a great tailwind on the way to our meeting point so I arrived slightly early and tinkered with the back brake to try and stop it squealing (it worked for a while) until Gav arrived. We then set off heading through Hook a Gate, Plealey, Pontesbury and Minsterley, having to push against the wind for most of it. The wind was a pain but the drivers were good today and all gave reasonably good passes.:okay:

After turning off at Plox Green the proper climbing begins but the hedges were sheltering us from the wind as far as Snailbeach and it was more of a crosswind on the open sections. My suggestion of a detour further up the hill to see the old lead mine was met with a polite but firm "No".:whistle:

Carrying on up the valley, the steeper climbs at Stiperstones village and Tankerville were despatched without drama, then turning a corner in Pennerley the gradient eases and the countryside looks much more wild and exposed. A last climb from The Bog to the summit of this bit of road brought some far reaching and impressive views. We had a break at the car park for the Stiperstones and an early lunch. We said hello to the rider who turned up on a very flash bike shortly after us but he didn't want to know and picked a spot across the car park from us for his snack. Meh.

Descending to Bridges is fun at the best of times but with the warm day and now having a tailwind it made it great. My back brake had started to screech again during the ride and was now creating a real racket each time I needed to brake firmly. On the plus side, Gav said he knew he hadn't lost me and I didn't need to use the bell to warn the sheep out of the way.:laugh:

We had our first pub stop on a ride since before the lockdown in March (took a moment to remember whose round it was) and the beer felt well earned after all the climbing. There was more climbing to come as I'd suggested heading back via Robin Hood's Butts (yes, that's a real place name) and High Park. Ducks in the road was an obstacle near the YHA, then we found the legs weren't keen on climbing over the hill to Ratlinghope. It's a long steady climb from there to Darnford and the final push up onto Wild Moor turned out to be into the wind which wasn't helpful at all and made things slow. After a pause we made it onto the top, enjoying the views before enjoying roughly three miles and 1000 feet of descent to Leebotwood (accompanied by the sound of brakes).

If the forecast wind had continued we should have had it helping us most of the way back, however we found almost a dead calm when taking a break at Longnor. We did have help from the gradient, which is mostly downhill from here to Shrewsbury but there were still a couple of small climbs to tackle on the way to Weeping Cross which were tougher than they usually would be. Parting from Gav I headed for home to find a strengthening headwind - bah!:rolleyes:

A great ride in good company and Chapeau to @gavgav for tackling a seriously hilly route on a heavy bike.:cheers:

39.5 miles at 10 mph average. Didn't drop the bike this time and managed to avoid the many wasps. I replaced the brake blocks when I got back.

Gav at a drink stop near Plealey.

At Snailbeach. We were luck with the weather as the rain over there missed us.

Capturing the view back down the valley near Tankerville.

The Stiperstones

The Horseshoe at the Bridges.

Climbing onto Wild Moor.

At Wildmoor Pool

About to descend through High Park

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
By yesterday morning I was missing food (really the otherwise familar pleasure of eating rather than any physical hunger) so the fast was broken after 4.5 days with some of the fruits of the last egg-run. The eggs were suitably enormous, both double yolkers and unsurprisingly tasted absolutely delicious.

A trip to the Tesco on the other side of town to score some promotionally-priced greek yoghurt seemed like a worthy excuse to get out, so off I pootled on the Raleigh. The weather was absolutely fantastic; wonderfully sunny but comfortably cool with manageable humidity. My warm, fuzzy, psychedelic Boards of Canada soundtrack perfectly suited the glorious weather and my much-improved mood post-fast as I meandered on my way along the tow path :smile:

The bike outside the pub at Sandford on Thames Lock, where I stopped to tie my shoe laces (and also change the album that conveniently reached its end just as I stopped):

Image055.jpg

I stopped to "rescue" a bee from the road in littlemore (it seemed a bit reluctant perhaps because of the warm tarmac, but would likely have got squashed if left). Reached Tesco (having suffered the crap excuse for a cycle path en-route :rolleyes:), got the yoghurt and scored some smugness points by resisting all the allergen-packed / high carb munchie food on offer and grabbing some crisps from a high shelf for a woman in a wheelchair...

Back to the bike and serendipity struck once more as the album again needed changing just before I got back on. Back through Blackbird Leys and into town; depressed by the amount of traffic congestion (exacerbated by the perpetual roadworks) but also enthused by my ability to effortlessly waft past all the muppets in their tin cages, and encouraged by the massive swarm of cyclists I met waiting at the temporary traffic lights on the High St; the organised chaos that ensured when the lights changed reminding me of being in Holland :smile:

Stopped at Waitrose for some other bits / hunt for bargains which proved unexpectfully fruitful - the headline score being a whole basted chicken breast (both sides) reduced from about £6 to £1.19, so that was dinner sorted (and lunch today in salad form, shortly!). Ended up buying a bit too much but was once more bailed out by my panier rack - I think reaching its current zenith in accommodating said chicken breast, 30 fish fingers, a bag of salad and my lock; allowing me to get home without having to carry anything manually or dangle owt off the bars :becool:

Image058.jpg

I'm seriously impressed by the functionality of the rack and am considering getting a set of bags as I suspect this would expand the bikes capacity by a factor of 3-4.

That ride was about 17 miles at a little over 10mph; still slow due to low energy levels but quicker and less restrictive than that of the previous day.

After dinner I set out once more to the other side of town to see some mates; again really content; just glad to be able to casually ride through this great city in such nice weather with a fantastic rolling Jungle soundtrack. Had a nice time sat outside at the pub and was again really enthused to see that nearly everyone in our group (who aren't all keen recreational cyclists) had ridden; the only two who abstained living only a few hundred yards around the corner.

As the day had worn on my energy levels had improved and I gave the bike some stick on the way home through the cool evening air, which felt great ^_^

All in all about about 25 miles on the Raleigh and a much-needed really pleasant day :smile:

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Weather? Who cares? New bike time, so take a train to Starbeck, walk around a few corners and there is Spa.

No particular route in mind, turn left for Knaresborough. Cross the River Nidd and carry straight on towards Boroughbridge. Which is a road that I was once familiar with, but it has changed. The village names are the same though, which helps. I was looking for the A168, saw a sign for Green Hammerton and memory said ‘go that way’. So I did, and added quite a distance to my original intentions.

Although I eventually saw a junction to the right, for Whixley. Just the way I remembered it, so I was on the road I wanted. Bottom of the hill out of Whixley was the sign, Green Hammerton. And Cattal. Yup, memory still works, roughly. Knowing I should be riding with the sun in my eyes works better. Riding on west, towards Hunsingore and Walshford, somewhere along there I crossed the Nidd again and found the real A168 as well. Only to leave it to ride to and through North Deighton, on the way to Kirk Deighton and Wetherby.

Weariness was setting in, decided to ride the A58 all the way back to Leeds. Then reached Collingham and an immense traffic jam. OK, I got the message, climb Jewitt Lane for the second time in two days. The Spa has lower gearing than the Bob Jackson. I doubt I could call the ascent a romp, but it went well. So, just like yesterday, back through Thorner, Sandhills and the A58 to town.

The Spa? First impressions are very good. No gremlins in its first forty miles. Wider tyres soften road clatter, the bike steers briskly and stops well. Accurate gear change, maybe noisier than the Jacko, or maybe because I had my hearing aids in . . .

Big grin time when home was reached, I was ready for that shower. Two thousand feet in the direction of up and a lot of below sea level in there. That cannot have helped the breathing. A really good introduction to the bike though.

The tracks of my new wheels

09092020.jpg

0909elev.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Late start today as damp and grey had to be avoided. By chance I met John B at Leigh Sinton so we teamed up for the lanes to Longley Green, Coddington and Munsley. At Trumpet John headed off for Ledbury while I headed for the Marcles. Above Canwood I had to pause as a tree was about to be felled. They stopped work for me. The conifers are being cropped now so the views were opening up. Plenty of logs were piled up. Woolhope came and I headed for the stepped climb to the ridge. The light was lovely and views very clear. It was time to drop away to Much Marcle and take the standard run back. Lovely wee outing on a lovely afternoon. 56 smiles

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A pleasant spin out with Claire and @Dark46 tonight. Just the usual ride out to Arlingham and back through the Severnside villages, but great company and lovely bright weather made it a pleasure. The new chain that I fitted the other day was wonderfully smooth and quiet .... except when starting off under load, when loud rasping chain-slipping spoilt things a little. Funny, I always seem to find that happens for the first few hundred miles on a new chain. So long as I remember to pull away from junctions in the middle ring on the front and a largish sprocket on the cassette it isn't really an issue.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Having missed only my second day since March commuting from working at home, made up for it with wonderful ride in the evening sun. One of those rides where the scenery zips past and even if you're gasping like an asthmatic hippo up the hills, they're still fun.

First the ascent of Blaze Hill, then onwards further up and over to Lamaload reservoir.

It looks, and is, idyllic, save for the 20% ramp which announces the start of the climb up the the Cat and Fiddle road:

https://veloviewer.com/segment/6152673

Eventually made the summit:

and enjoyed a sunny but relatively slow descent into a stiff headwind.

40k, 700m climbing, and a perfect evening ride.

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
My very first 100km ride today exactly 3 months after starting cycling again ... it was a little windy so a bit of perseverance was called for in one direction. I had read that cracking the hundred is mainly in the mind but I felt it most in the bottom, legs and lungs :okay:. I can’t believe how drained I feel now - I’ll have a couple of days out of the saddle I think. Time was 3hours and 31mins for just over 101km which I’m more than happy with.... nearly 18mph.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I was supposed to be gardening this morning but that got called off unexpectedly so I took the chance to get a bonus ride in. The Galaxy hasn't been out for a while so I took that and went round my usual Longnor, Acton Burnell, Harnage, Berrington route.

Conditions were overcast with a light wind and it felt cool at the start but just pleasant once I got warmed up after a mile or so. Not much traffic once away from the main roads and I got along fairly well but was finding the legs still a little lethargic after the hilly ride a couple of days ago. They did start to loosen up as I went round. Having got used to the Raleigh in its new drop-bar guise I was finding I wanted to stretch out a little more on this bike. Probably time to think about fitting the 100mm stem that I didn't like when I first got the bike (I was new to drop bars then and found it too much of a reach)

As I worked my way through Frodesley, Acton Burnell and Harnage the ride was nicely uneventful and even the wasps seemed to have mostly stayed in this morning. The Union Jack was flag of the day at Cound. As I headed for Cross Houses I found an unexpected blockage just 100 yards from my next junction in the form of a lorry delivering concrete blocks. With the stabilising legs out it was completely filling the lane and I was just thinking I'd have to turn back and add about three miles going round when one of the guys with the vehicle noticed me and beckoned me through. By clambering up on the verge there was just enough room.

The A458 was surprisingly quiet so I stuck with it into Cross Houses. Only a couple of vehicles overtook, one of which was an artic which gave enough space then pulled away relatively slowly from the next traffic island meaning I got the benefit of the slipstream and was doing 20mph up the hill when I reached the turn off for Berrington.^_^

After Condover I found the energy in the legs that I'd been lacking earlier so got a good run up to the main road (cruising at over 20) then had to wait ages for a gap in the traffic to join the A49. I added a loop round the village to finish off which ended up more meandering than usual after finding an unexpected set of temporary traffic lights.

24.1 miles at 15.3 mph average. To be honest I'd expected the average speed to be higher than that.

Today's view to the Wrekin from near Acton Burnell.

Bit of an obstacle on the way to Cross Houses.

Mike_P

Guru
The Ebike had a new way of earning its keep today by making its debut on work related property visits - figured I had too many back terraces to visit which would have involved a lot of walking from and to the car possibly parked in the only available space some distance away. 9.52 miles with 770ft of up and two ebike KOMs throw in - undoubtedly the most enjoyable bit of work this week^_^

Yesterday I took advantage of a dry day with a very light westerly wind to complete my 12th imperial century of the year. It was quite a fresh day with a distinct autumn nip in the air so I wore my thin jacket for the first few hours. My route out from and back to Littleborough included Newhey, Uppermill, Stalybridge, Hyde, Romiley, Marple, Hazel Grove, Wilmslow, Lower Peover, Plumley, Rixton, Lymm, Irlam, Astley, Bolton, Bury and Rochdale. So it was a mix of Saddleworth, Cheshire and Greater Manchester.A very enjoyable day out on the bike.
Here are a few pics....

Canal towpath and tunnel near Marple

Lunch stop at Lower Peover

Bikers Church at Rixton, Cheshire

Top Bottom