Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
First proper day out on the new e-assist tandem with Mrs A_T.

Out to Whitley Bay to the Rendezvous cafe for a bacon butty, coffee and cake!
Following wind home so 36 miles passed very quickly! Started out with a full battery showing 60 mile range.... with 72 miles showing when we got home! :laugh:

Met a couple, Larry and Margaret, on the way out and on the way back- they live in Whitley Bay across the road from the Rendezvous and were riding to Stamfordham- the exact opposite route to us. Turns out they had recently bought their new tandem from JD Tandems too- both really pleased with them, so thumbs up for everyone at JDT! Will be able to keep in touch through the Tandem Club!

Last edited:

delb0y

Legendary Member
Actually managed something close to a proper ride this morning - although to be honest it was still just a loop around the local lanes, which is all I've been doing this year. But at least it was 30 miles. I had to get up at 6:30 to get in 30 miles before doing bank holiday stuff, but that meant there was no-one on the canal tow-path. In fact the anglers were all still loading up their wheelbarrows, from their cars, at the far end of the tow-path section - lightweights! If I go fishing I'm usually heading home by then. Even had a short utility ride to do some delivering of stuff this afternoon.

bluenotebob

Veteran
I’d planned another Loony Ride for today but I woke up with a thick head and a sore throat – having got cold and wet on the bike for the last three days, it wasn’t a surprise. Lots of strong coffee finally got me going and I headed out on the bike after lunch.

W to Evriguet, then S with the wind behind me through Guilliers then off the D13 up through Kersamson to St Vily. It’s still a cold N wind but there’s a bit more warmth in the sun than we’ve had in previous days. Down towards Kerpiton then Crétudel and Penhouët. Into Loyat from the SW and up the Voie Verte to Mauron. I noticed an occasional pinging from the front wheel and wondered about calling into my LBS. Decided to leave that for another day and I went up through Ville Davy to Quihiac.

Home through Pont Ruelland and St Brieuc-de-Mauron.

54km today takes my total for August to just over 1200km – I’m now finally on target again to reach 9000km this year. That’s a relief having lost so much time during the 8 weeks of lockdown.

The road to Penhouët

The old bridge at Loyat

Mike_P

Guru
Sunny morning cloudy afternoon was the forecast so around 9am the Defy headed south-east, its rider having a top base layer under a long sleeve jersey and bib knickers on, the outdoor thermometer having just crept into double figures. First up was which hill to tackle, had done the one on the A59 yesterday, the A61 Ripon Road would be up down and up again, so opted for the back street hill known on Strava, appropriately given the speed humps on it, as Humps and a Hill.

Followed the A661 all the way to Wetherby; a twisty undulating road before Spofforth and quite understandable why NCN67 avoids it. The descent of Harrogate Road into Wetherby was hampered by TTLs and at the foot I turned for Linton and Collingham; pausing next to a shady wall to tighten the cleat on my left shoe as annoying squeak had arisen, which thereafter seems a bit better. Then west upgrade on the A659 to the next keyboard letter destination, the “H” of Harewood.

Down Harewood Bank

and through Dunkeswick to Weeton where a wrong turn was corrected and I stopped just before a crossroads with the A658 to tighen both cleats as the squeak has intensifed. That resolved it so it was a squeakless climb up to Armscliffe Crag.

Thereafter headed west and stopped to remove the base layer as it had noticeably warmed up. At the same time went to change the SD card in the Sportscam and dropped the blank one into long grass. Put the other spare in the camera and then eventually found the lost one only then to find the camera was now devoid of a card; it must have ejected and could have gone anywhere:sad:

North east on the B6161

to Beckwithshaw then east on the B6162 Otley Road with a loop to the south; with the amount of rain recently the Stray has recovered from the weather during last years UCIs.

34.72 miles / 55.98km 2395ft climbed @ 13.9mph and the forecast turned out wrong with a mainly warm sunny afternoon.

footloose crow

Über Member
Back on the bike (again...)

It was the Tour de France that did it.

I saw the consultant a few days ago. We sat and gazed together at his PC, at the collection of x rays he has gathered over the last two months. The bone ends are not meeting up. By squinting at it it from an angle, it was possible for me to be persuaded that they were getting closer. 'Could be six months to fully heal' he says. I ask when I can cycle again...he says its up to me but cycling won't promote healing and if I fall off, hit a bump hard or just bang it, it will be more of a mess than it now. So I go home to think about it.

Watching the TdF switches off my worry. I just want to ride again. Even the crashes and injuries in the peloton from the first day of the TdF, replayed in slow motion several times, will not deter me. Madame Crow is less easily persuaded of the sensibleness of my intentions . Too late....I am off.

The sun is warm on my back and my legs are turning easily. It does help starting with a downhill I guess. My road bike is in the bike hospital as it turns out the injuries from my crash were more extensive than I thought and so I am on my hybrid thing that I have neglected for ten months. Luckily it wasn't sulking and continued to work. The tyres were still inflated, the gears snicked with a positive click and the chain hummed happily.

Things have changed in two months. The autumn crocuses are coming through the leaf litter on the woodland floor and the leaves are beginning to turn. The first fallen leaves, dry and crisp, crunch as the tyres roll over them. I am so happy to be here that I can't stop smiling, can't stop greeting people as I pass them, the lanes still busy with walkers and cyclists. Only the road cyclists don't wave back - at first I assume they don't see me but then I realise its because I am on a hybrid. I don't care. I will wave at anyone today because nothing beats the feel of tyres and pedals, the wind in my face, the passing scenery, the effort of uphills and the free energy of downhills, the freedom of passing at just the right speed through the countryside, slow enough to notice things, fast enough not to get bored. And I have been bored for two months of enforced idleness and every moment today is a joy.

My shoulder burns because it is not used to taking weight and my collarbone complains with a dull ache that reaches up the side of my neck but I don't care. I am tired of nursing my body. Tired of being careful. Fed up with re-thinking everything I do so I avoid using my right arm.

The roads are empty but I am going slowly. I am a little bit frightened, the memory of my accident is still with me. I feel more wobbly than normal, slow down for bends and brake downhill. I see bend ahead. It is a blind bend but then in the lanes all the bends are blind and on my road bike I would swoop round it, my left shoulder brushing the hedge, right pedal lifted, leaning rather than turning the bike.

Today I slow down. Fearful of what might be around the corner. Cautious. Turns out to be a good call. Around the bend and heading too fast down hill is a huge green tractor pulling a full trailer of grass. It takes up the entire width of the road. I shrink into the hedge. The tractor skids, wheels locked up and scrapes past me. If I had been cycling like I used to, I would have been underneath it. A salutary lesson. Caution is good.

I decide to stop for a moment and enjoy the view. Heart racing still. Shaky. There is a gateway ahead and a chance to recover my equilibrium. It quickly returns as I continue down the lanes, slowing for bends, braking cautiously, thinking about where I am rather than daydreaming or watching the buzzards pounce on field mice.

This is not going to be a long ride. I am concerned about damaging the collar bone more - or delaying my recovery further. The lanes soon lead me back into Truro and I ride slowly down the long downhill into the town centre and then puff up Moresk Hill heading for home, grateful for the low gearing on the hybrid. Two months is a long time off a bike and my lungs are not working as well as they did.

We are planning a trip to Norfolk tomorrow and we will take the bikes. Short, flat rides on lanes where you can see a long way ahead. Just what the doctor ordered. Plan A was sailing in Greece this month but that is now in the hands of the insurers. Plan B was to go to France but Covid stopped play. Plan C was Portugal but yesterday it was reported that Covid quarantine will be required (they think) within a week. So Norfolk it is. Hopefully it does not become a Covid hotspot in the next ten days. We won't be allowed back across the Tamar if it does.

I had planned an autumn of Audax rides now that events have started again. I guess that will be next year now. I will just keep bimbling around on my bike and doing the exercises, eating Vitamin C tablets and hoping for the best. Is there a Cyclechat group for 30k rides??

Screenshot 2020-08-31 at 19.00.19.png

13 rider

Guru
Back on the bike (again...)

It was the Tour de France that did it.

I saw the consultant a few days ago. We sat and gazed together at his PC, at the collection of x rays he has gathered over the last two months. The bone ends are not meeting up. By squinting at it it from an angle, it was possible for me to be persuaded that they were getting closer. 'Could be six months to fully heal' he says. I ask when I can cycle again...he says its up to me but cycling won't promote healing and if I fall off, hit a bump hard or just bang it, it will be more of a mess than it now. So I go home to think about it.

View attachment 544665

Watching the TdF switches off my worry. I just want to ride again. Even the crashes and injuries in the peloton from the first day of the TdF, replayed in slow motion several times, will not deter me. Madame Crow is less easily persuaded of the sensibleness of my intentions . Too late....I am off.

The sun is warm on my back and my legs are turning easily. It does help starting with a downhill I guess. My road bike is in the bike hospital as it turns out the injuries from my crash were more extensive than I thought and so I am on my hybrid thing that I have neglected for ten months. Luckily it wasn't sulking and continued to work. The tyres were still inflated, the gears snicked with a positive click and the chain hummed happily.

View attachment 544667

Things have changed in two months. The autumn crocuses are coming through the leaf litter on the woodland floor and the leaves are beginning to turn. The first fallen leaves, dry and crisp, crunch as the tyres roll over them. I am so happy to be here that I can't stop smiling, can't stop greeting people as I pass them, the lanes still busy with walkers and cyclists. Only the road cyclists don't wave back - at first I assume they don't see me but then I realise its because I am on a hybrid. I don't care. I will wave at anyone today because nothing beats the feel of tyres and pedals, the wind in my face, the passing scenery, the effort of uphills and the free energy of downhills, the freedom of passing at just the right speed through the countryside, slow enough to notice things, fast enough not to get bored. And I have been bored for two months of enforced idleness and every moment today is a joy.

My shoulder burns because it is not used to taking weight and my collarbone complains with a dull ache that reaches up the side of my neck but I don't care. I am tired of nursing my body. Tired of being careful. Fed up with re-thinking everything I do so I avoid using my right arm.

The roads are empty but I am going slowly. I am a little bit frightened, the memory of my accident is still with me. I feel more wobbly than normal, slow down for bends and brake downhill. I see bend ahead. It is a blind bend but then in the lanes all the bends are blind and on my road bike I would swoop round it, my left shoulder brushing the hedge, right pedal lifted, leaning rather than turning the bike.

Today I slow down. Fearful of what might be around the corner. Cautious. Turns out to be a good call. Around the bend and heading too fast down hill is a huge green tractor pulling a full trailer of grass. It takes up the entire width of the road. I shrink into the hedge. The tractor skids, wheels locked up and scrapes past me. If I had been cycling like I used to, I would have been underneath it. A salutary lesson. Caution is good.

I decide to stop for a moment and enjoy the view. Heart racing still. Shaky. There is a gateway ahead and a chance to recover my equilibrium. It quickly returns as I continue down the lanes, slowing for bends, braking cautiously, thinking about where I am rather than daydreaming or watching the buzzards pounce on field mice.

View attachment 544668

This is not going to be a long ride. I am concerned about damaging the collar bone more - or delaying my recovery further. The lanes soon lead me back into Truro and I ride slowly down the long downhill into the town centre and then puff up Moresk Hill heading for home, grateful for the low gearing on the hybrid. Two months is a long time off a bike and my lungs are not working as well as they did.

We are planning a trip to Norfolk tomorrow and we will take the bikes. Short, flat rides on lanes where you can see a long way ahead. Just what the doctor ordered. Plan A was sailing in Greece this month but that is now in the hands of the insurers. Plan B was to go to France but Covid stopped play. Plan C was Portugal but yesterday it was reported that Covid quarantine will be required (they think) within a week. So Norfolk it is. Hopefully it does not become a Covid hotspot in the next ten days. We won't be allowed back across the Tamar if it does.

I had planned an autumn of Audax rides now that events have started again. I guess that will be next year now. I will just keep bimbling around on my bike and doing the exercises, eating Vitamin C tablets and hoping for the best. Is there a Cyclechat group for 30k rides??

View attachment 544675
Good to have you back I missed your write ups . Take care .

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Went for a very short ride yesterday evening to catch the sunset. Took the Boardman fixie along the Bridgewater way from Astley to Worsley and back, not massive mileage but the sights were worth it

AndreaJ

Veteran
Another bright sunny morning but a little bit chilly again so decided on arm warmers and short sleeves as it looked like it should warm up. Started off up towards the MoatShed and through Horton to join the Ellesmere Road towards Loppington, Commonwood, Nonely, Myddle past a farm collie sunbathing on the grass by his farm, into Burlton then turning to Marton passing a field of solar panels which were probably more use than the wind turbines today which weren’t moving at all, took the next lane up to Petton then down a new lane to Weston Lullingfields with a quick stop to take the arm warmers off, on to Bagley, Lower Hordley, Tetchill past Ellesmere College where the golf course looked busy and into Ellesmere round the one way system to get out and past the mere to Coptiviney, Breadon Heath, Welshampton over the road onto Rowe Lane up to the canal at Hampton Bank, past the caravan site at Lyneal which was a bit busy with people setting off home having to stop whenever they met something coming the opposite way, I turned towards Loppington and back home. A much better ride than some of my latest rides- the sun was shining, no wind and no one tried to flatten me! 34.9miles @15.4mph. Some pictures from Petton, Weston Lullingfields and Hampton Wood which looked much better in real life.
15968227-E98E-4A62-ABCB-45160E48B012.jpeg

EBDFC15E-CC17-47E2-BD8B-F1E66F66B612.jpeg

0C608A7B-8555-4E92-A323-3C9946EB8C6A.jpeg

Landsurfer

Veteran
45 MILES OF SUNSHINE ....

This mornings ride out, beautiful morning, no wind, and chill to start but warmed up fine.

This pic is at the start of the Doncaster Greenway, a traffic free pathway that links up with the TPT that stretches from the A1 at Colsterworth roundabout to north of Toll Bar Donnie ....

So the plan was to continue along the Greenway through Toll Bar and stop for brekkie at a seat overlooking the railway ... stopped here quite a few times before .....
One slight problem !!!
The footpads and ner'do'wells had torched it !

A windless morning ... the steam rises from Drax power station as all the windmills are stationary ... The GREEN power being produced is from the combustion of bio-mass, wood pellets from America and Canada, transported across the Atlantic by ships burning bunker fuel ... basically tar !
Then driven by diesel HGV's from the port to the power station .... but ... it's green energy !?!?

Turnaround point for the ride home from Braithwaite .... little car park here is a popular starting place for many cyclists riding the plain north and east of Donnie ....

So that was Sunday morning .... 45 miles, 4.5 hours of turning the pedals and a return through the centre of Donnie for a gentle 7 mile climb home ...Shower, coffee , 2 slices of toast ... load 3 of the children and my lovely into the van and off to the beach at Hornsea for running up and down the beach, fish and chips and healthy options doughnuts ... sort of ...

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
This morning I checked the temperature before riding away. And I wore enough layers too. Riding the fixed again, with the idea of going along the riverbank path at least as far as Woodlesford.

Having reached that bit, I decided to carry on along the waterside, vaguely thinking maybe Fairburn Ings might be visited. But once back on tarmac at Allerton Bywater the call of the climb up to Ledston Luck was stronger. Turn right at Peckfield Bar and pedal along the A63 to the next roundabout, which offers a left turn to Micklefield. A turn I took. Ride all the way through here and further to the B1217. Turn right and for no change at all pass Lotherton Hall’s gates and turn left for Aberford.

It is a gorgeous road from here to Barwick. A pretty good surface all the way. There is always a ‘but’, in this case that climbing left hand bend not far out of Aberford. Tarmac waves but they can be missed. Large scale views to both sides until the woodland above Cock Beck is reached. Even the last climb to the maypole has enough to see to take your mind off the rasp of hard working lungs . . .

Scholes is next, quiet as ever. As was the A64 and my diversion around three lanes to reach the A58 and all that descent into town. Back across the River Aire before negotiating all the roadworks on the way back to home. The sight of which pasted a grin on my face again, thirty five miles horizontally and 1500 feet of upness. A very good ride indeed.

The way around

01092020.jpg

and the way up and down

0109elev.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yesterdays cycling shenanigans. A loop through some of Kent's finest lanes and roads. Including a 6 mile drop down from Sevenoaks to Tonbridge, and it never disappoints. One of the finest cycling roads from Tudely to Golden Green. Crossing the Medway River (1st of 4 crossings of the river) where in 1853 30 Hop Pickers died.
The weather started of a a fair bearable 10°, so still in bib shorts and SS shirt, but soon warmed up without ever getting too hot. Winds were light too which made for a very nice cycling day.
So scores on the doors.
102 Miles for the day. Imperial Century #11 for the year, #284 over all.
1598966533435.png

1598966554827.png

1598966655506.png

1598966811000.png

Last edited:

postman

Legendary Member
Quick tootle to Otley.Weather was brilliant twenty miles only.I needed to buy a birthday card for Mrs P birthday tomorrow.21 x 3.Nice ride apart from a wasp got trapped in the vents of my helmet.What a noise when you have hearing aids.Just above my right eye.Side of my face is swollen,my specs are digging a line in to the swelling.It was nice to sit outside my fave cafe.Wonderful time out.Sorry to say i can't give you any photos as nice as the ones going up at the moment.

Top Bottom