Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I've not done a "proper" ride since last Saturday's effort on the CdF, but last night I did ride the Raleigh across town to the pub. We then ended up back at a mate's house until silly O'clock; my return journey being nearly doubled in distance as the ride was so pleasant due to the mild, dry, windless conditions and wonderfully empty streets.

A really enjoyable trip made all the better by the fact it had a purpose and I managed the 7 miles back without falling off... finally getting to sleep at about half 4. When I got back I had the pleasure of spotting an initially oblivious fox as I was standing in the front garden for a bit surveying the view over the city... it got really quite close to me as it trotted along the road beneath before it finally spotted me and buggered off up the road.

Needless to say today has been even less productive than usual :whistle:

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Crikey - must be slow out there if I've managed two back to back (either that or I've killed the thread with my cack last post)!

Today began with an overdue chain-waxing for the Raleigh, then a trip into town on said hack to the b*nk and to run a few other errands. Being a nice day this predictably led to an extended waft in and around the city, then home via the Co-op for 96p's worth of discounted bacon and egg sarnie for lunch and a couple of reduced vanilla slices for later.

Once back I cracked on with some more waxing; doing the two "spare" KMC chains I'd recently ordered for the CdF as well as the one that was already on it thanks to a damp ride a while ago and a subsequently squeaky one in the interim.

Had the back door open whilst doing the work and was constantly struck by how nice it remained outside; so once the last chain was done and the bike was operable once more I went out for a spin around the countryside. Up Cumnor hill, out along Chiswell Lane and down past Bagley Wood - resisting the urge to venture inside this time as I figured after the rain it'd probably be a bit much on the slicks. Down to Radley then back along NCN5 into town and (what I can call for for the remaining few weeks at least :sad: ) "home".

I have a distanced social with some mates in a minute and figured some beers would help take the edge off my miserable presence so another trip to to Co-op was in the cards. Since I never leave the Genesis locked up (so had no lock with my anyway) I dived inside the house for a change of footwear and rucksacks, grabbed a few other essentials and got straight out on the Raleigh for Co-op round two... as well as my two propmotionally-priced Peronis I couldn't resist some more slashed-price cheese and onion rolls and doughnuts, so came away with a comprehensive "my first diabetic coma" kit too :whistle:

All in all ballpark 20 sunny-ish miles on each bike in the name of utility and mental health maintenance; I swear these bikes are the only thing keeping me alive currently...

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
Out after working, for a ride with @Rickshaw Phil and his Brother, Doug, who hadn’t been out for a ride since a balmy hot evening in late June, when we’d last been out as a three. I thought a leisurely route around Shrewsbury would be the best plan, to ease him back into things. It would also be the first time I’d done my “regular” Town loop, since before Covid hit, as I’ve been sticking to roads to avoid too many people.....

I met them at the traffic lights on the estate junction and we set out through Sutton Farm, being overtaken by a lady on a bike, at way less than 2 metre distance, who then slowed down and held us up! I felt like overtaking her again, but we were turning left onto the old railway path, soon and so I resisted.

We then continued through Reabrook and up the cycle paths to Heathgates, along which I had a slight moment, as a cat leapt out of the undergrowth and looked like it was about to run across my path. It thought better, as I prepared for an emergency stop and darted back where it came from.

We paused for a drink and chat, at Castlefields, before heading down to the River Severn and along to the Weir, where there were a few people watching for Salmon leaping. The towpath, alongside the river, was astonishingly busy, with lots of cyclists and runners, plus people out for a stroll, making the most of a dry evening. It continued the same in The Quarry and I was actually quite glad to get away from people, after crossing Porthill Bridge and up to Copthorne.

Next was Shelton, past the Hospital, through the new estate to Radbrook and Meole Brace, where we parted ways and I arrived back home with 11.77 miles on the clock.

Nice to enjoy a ride with some company, who knows how much longer we’ll be allowed it.

JohnHughes307

Über Member
Mine started with a trip to Decathlon... My wife has started to worry about darker afternoons and my preference for all black cycling clothing and asked to please get something hi-vis, so off to Decathlon (20 miles away) it was for a new jacket. Couldn't think of anything else I needed, so home again with a jacket that rivals the sun 😁☀️😎

Time for a ride! Oh no the p******e fairy has been for the first time on over a year - Front tyre completely flat with a thorn. Go to repair tube and my puncture glue appears to have evaporated - none came out☹️ Of only I'd known while in the shop! Found a spare tube, fitted that and off I go! 😁

The underpass on NCR 12 was flooded, which I sometimes brave, but the tide seemed to be against me today, so I chickened out.

I decided to try a different way home, which became a bit knarly and... the bloody fairy again, in the rear this time... Still only a mile to walk home...

Attachments

• IMG_20201022_161011294.jpg
    IMG_20201022_161011294.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 2

footloose crow

Über Member
22 October Dirty riding

The lane ahead glints dully under thick cloud. It is a mixture of mud, standing water and wet leaves. On the flat is is bearable but downhill at the usual 10 to 15% gradients it is lethal and my collar bone aches thinking about the anticipated slide into the granite hedges or the bridge wall at the bottom of the hill. I am going slower downhill than I am puffing uphill and I am grinding my way through my brake discs.

This is a snatched ride. A weather window and a gap between commitments that are only commitments because I have volunteered myself. I walked away (aka 'retired') from teaching four years ago and now I am back as governor at three different trusts and every day this week has been Zoom and Teams and me pretending to remember the acronyms and the current DfE financial regulations (I don't). I have to be back by 2pm to do a Zoom meeting about a naughty pupil and I am too lazy to get up early so it is a 10am departure and 44 miles and a lot of uphills between me and my appointment with the laptop.

The first hill is brutal as it always is because my legs are cold and my lungs still waking up and then it is along familiar roads to the church at St Enoder. After that new lanes beckon, a twisting path of tarmac, grass in the middle, that takes me to new horizons if only I could see the horizon in the grey murk and mist.

I have two flashers on the back and one on the front that, I realise after an hour, is flashing SOS. No one stops. Who knows morse code? My father used to send love messages to my mother by morse code when they were courting but she married him anyway.

Lanes snake up and down, dirty and wet. I arrive in Newquay but avoid the seaside instead threading between residential streets and past both secondary schools (pleased not to be there) to suddenly be deposited (on a hill) outside the town without really seeing anything remotely resembling the surf capital of the south west. Through a ford and wheels are suddenly gleaming and the discs stop squealing so unhappily as the caked mud washes off.

There was a bridge for pedestrians - but I am not a pedestrian. My feet are wet now and I think maybe next time I will use the footbridge. Whilst I examine my gleaming wheels a builders van passes through the ford, its bow wave soaking the only vaguely dry foot. Cheers boys.

Between Newquay and Perranporth are a series of up and downs that test my resilience. I don't have much and it is quickly exhausted. I wonder why I chose a route with three consecutive 15% hills.

Last week I was cycling circles in Sussex test riding new bikes. Mason are brilliant and I loved the Definition. Fast like carbon but comfortable like steel - cos its aluminium I guess. Alex at Mason Cycles is patient and has all day to talk about cycling and the sun is out. I want one. The next day I am at Enigma and Sam is brilliant too, doing a bike fit and carefully adjusting the Etape to fit me. I love it too. I want one. I text my friend Stephen with my dilemma and give him details of both bikes. 'Which one?' I wail. 'Get both' he says. I think about it all the way around today but come no nearer to a decision. There is actually nothing wrong with my current bike apart from being dirty but I am seduced by the marketing and reviews. I imagine myself to be a better person with a new bike - faster, longer lasting.

The sun comes out for the last miles and for the first time I am warm. I feel as if I am going well today but a look at Strava later shows average times. No concerns because I have had a good morning and a chocolate smoothie is waiting for me at home, even though I have been scoffing jam sandwiches for the last few miles. No easy matter eating and cycling uphill but I hate stopping.

The bike needs a hosepipe and all my clothes are in the washing machine whilst I am in the shower. The best bit of the ride is finishing it. My wife asks whether I actually have mudguards. Ah mudguards....if I had a new bike it could have full length mudguards rather than the mini skirts I have wedged on my current bike which has insufficient clearance for 32mm tyres let alone mudguards. See, if you think about long enough you can always justify a new bike.

Screenshot 2020-10-22 at 22.21.43.png

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A couple of rides to report on:
Yesterday morning - I didn't have quite as much time to spare as I'd hoped so a quick spin on the Raleigh round my Longnor, Acton Burnell, Harnage, Cound route. The wind was quite noticable as I headed south through Condover and Ryton and made it a bit of an effort to keep the speed up (a disappointing 14.2 mph average showing when I paused for a drink at Longnor) but on turning towards Acton Burnell I picked up a great tailwind and some of my best cruising speeds along this stretch for ages. I caught and passed the first cyclist I'd seen this trip just after Frodesley and from there saw other riders quite regularly for the rest of the loop, so I wasn't the only one out and about.

The average had improved by Cound Moor but I may have pushed on a bit too quick trying to go fast into the wind earlier and the legs were feeling quite fatigued when the road became more undulating at Harnage. Flag of the day at Cound was the St. Patrick's Cross.

I went up to the A458 but only stayed on it a few hundred yards today and turned onto the lane to Berrington, having to pull in for a car coming the other way (not very often I see traffic on this little lane). Reaching Berrington I got held up by a vehicle again.... the same one I'd passed just a few minutes ago. I think they may be slightly lost.

Catching and chatting with another rider at the Kingstreet crossroads I learned that he is 82. I'd have guessed at about 20 years younger than that.:ohmy: I think I'd be quite happy if I can still get out and enjoy decent length rides at that age.:okay: I pressed onback towards Condover and the chap took the shorter (and muddier) way through Allfield so I ended up catching up with him again a few miles later.

23.9 miles this time at 14.7 mph average. I thought I'd have done a little better than that to be honest.

Yesterday afternoon - As @gavgav has already mentioned, Doug and I rode down to meet up with him for a sunset ride. Doug was concerned about getting there on time, so we ended up being there about 10 minutes early :laugh:. Fortunately Gav was a little bit early too so we weren't waiting very long.

We set out on quite a meandering route, making plenty of use of the cycleways which are mostly fairly good in Shrewsbury. There were plenty of other cyclists and walkers out on these routes which did make it a bit tricky to chat while riding. I'd hoped that reaching Sydney Avenue then the riverside route to The Quarry would provide an opportunity but was thwarted as it was as busy down by the river as on a summer Saturday - everyone making the most of a dry evening.

Wending our way out of the centre through Porthill and towards Shelton and Radbrook it became quieter and the lights were needed as the darkness gathered (unfortunately it was a bit overcast to have seen a good sunset). It was a good trip but eventually it was time for Doug and I to part from Gav and we headed back.

14.5 miles for us at 10.5 mph average. A decent distance without pushing Doug too far after being off the bike for a few months. The trick now is to try and get him out more often.;)

Sorry, no photos from either ride this time.

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
There was blue in the sky above, had to look carefully to find it. But even if the blue was absent, I had a ride to do. On the Spa today, the other geared bike had new wheels, chain and cassette fitted yesterday. If there are any glitches I will attempt to fix them on a solo ride. Tomorrow.

I should have typed ‘shiny Spa’ as all three bikes were cleaned before changing stuff. Leaning against the wall at the meeting point it certainly did look good. Start pedalling, Eccup is the first place of note. Reservoir and village, with that nearly hairpin turn at the end of Village Road. Kings Road down to Bramhope. Cross the A658, onto the top of the whole hill called the Chevin. There are many ways down from here, we chose East and West Carlton on the way to Guiseley.

And then along some roads supplied with autumn scenery, we made our way, between Baildon and Shipley, to the towpath of the Leeds and Liverpool canal. Very peaceful, a good chance to have a bit of a chat, duck and the occasional goose added to the mix of wildlife. Stopped to fuel up at Apperley Bridge, then continued to Kirkstall. From there to Headingley you can ride straight up the road. One of us knew a better way than that, every day is a schoolday.

There followed an extended explore around some northern bits of Leeds. Explore for me, I think everyone else knew exactly where they were. Which is very reassuring indeed. We variously said ‘goodbye’ on the way to the A61, my usual trip along Street Lane to Oakwood and back south of the river took me home after 47 very pleasant miles and 2400 feet of going up. Which made me smile, towpath rides ought to be flat!

Details, round and about and up and down

23102020.jpg

2310elev.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A showery morning turned into a dry afternoon, but a little breezy and I decided to get out while I could and make the most of it round some hilly lanes I haven't ridden for a while. After much indecision I settled on taking the knockabout bike simply because it was easiest to get out.

To start with it's all very familiar roads, over Lyth Hill to Condover then through Ryton to Longnor, Hollyhurst and Folly Bank. I had the wind against me like I did yesterday but on this bike it makes progress slower and the average I found disappointing on the Raleigh was a pipe-dream on this one. Reaching Longnor I became glad that it was the Hawk I'd brought with me though as the roads were liberally covered in mud and now so is the bike.

The Folly Bank climb was taken slowly but steadily then, at what would usually be the top on many of my rides, I turned left and carried on climbing to Yell Bank where there are far-reaching views. It had been warmer than I'd expected for the start of the ride but up here was quite chilly due to being high up and exposed to the wind. I didn't hang around too long and dropped down to Chatwall before climbing again past Broome and over to Church Preen.

The road to Ruckley is pretty rough and I did unexpectedly find a tractor blocking the way, but being on a bike it wasn't too much of a bother to get round. I headed through Kenley next and took a loop round through Broomcroft to get to Harnage Grange, encountering a horse and more cars than I'd usually expect to see down here (there is a road closure near Evenwood which is probably the reason for the traffic). I thought about heading back the most direct way but opted for the slightly longer way through Harnage (easier hills). The flag at Cound was unchanged from yesterday.

Reaching Cound Stank I turned left and headed towards Pitchford. The wind seemed to have died down a little by now so it wasn't the struggle I thought it might be here, or on the way to Cantlop. I went through the closure on the approach to Cound again (everyone had stopped working by this time and there is loads of room to get a bike through) and had a crosswind rather than having it helping on the run up to the main road. Many thanks to the lorry driver who waited patiently rather than trying to force his way past on the A49.:okay:

30.2 miles at 12.1 mph average. Actually not too bad for a hilly route on this bike.

Drink stop at Hollyhurst.

Just about to tackle the steep bit of Folly Bank.

Up at the top of today's climb with a view to the Clee Hills.

A little further along the road at Yell Bank and looking towards the Wrekin.

Definitely off the beaten track at High Fields.

Overlooking Church Preen where there is some good autumn colour.

Bowling Green Farm at Kenley.

colly

Re member eR
A couple of rides to post.
Nothing special and just local rides on lanes I have ridden many a time. Boring b'stard I know but when time is limited .......................

So Last Saturday, 17th it was 22 miles and 910 ft. Local lanes
View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/57778021

Thursday 22nd it was 19.4 miles and 1100ft. Fixed wheel though.
View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/58005911

Yesterday was pretty much a repeat of the above. 20.8 miles and 1140ft. Fixed wheel again.
View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/58067167

Old jon

Guru
Well, it is October. The grey sky should not be surprising. And I wanted to check out the new wheels, cassette and chain that I fitted on Thursday to the pretty bike. Not at all difficult to ride away.

To find quite a breeze blowing. A bit difficult to work out what direction it was coming from, not that it mattered. Mooch round Holbeck, up to the Oakwood Clock and further up the A58 and across the Ring Road. All with wind assistance, so it’s a south westerly then. Turn right onto Red Hall Lane then stay straight on to Thorner Lane, make a left to ride through Sandhills.

Must be early conditioning, I always think riding up Church Hill is the traditional way out of Thorner. This road goes to Bramham, after crossing the bridge over the A1(M) I turned right onto Paradise Way (really!) and enjoyed the wind in my right eye. All the way to Aberford, but as the road descended so did the wind lose force. Straight through the village to the B1217 crossroads and turn right.

Which goes to Garforth, so ride around the northern edge all the way to the A63 and a big roundabout. Was it called the George roundabout in my young days? After the pub there. Matters little today, take the second exit and climb that strangely difficult rise on the way to Swillington. Straight through, back over the River Aire and the canal, then turn right to ride back to Leeds along the towpath.

Leave the river behind at the Armouries and ride round one edge of Hunslet on the last bit of the way to my front door. Wheels and everything worked just fine, every gearchange spot on. Thirty two miles, 1600 feet and a rain shower for the last twenty minutes. Have to smile at that.

Cycling Etch a Sketch

24102020.jpg

2410elev.jpg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Just a quick ride on my mountain bike in the wind and the rain. I went down a little bridleway that I keep meaning to ride.

‘twas a bit gloopy in there.
The next part of the ride was on the road, this cleaned all the mud off the bike!

From Battisborough I was going to go around the Warren, but I couldn’t be bothered getting blown to pieces, so I Carried on in the lanes with shelter from the hedges.

The cows were sheltering too!

I dropped down to Noss. Thinking I was mad for cycling in this weather I realised I could have been more mad like the 4 people playing doubles tennis!

11.5 miles. Cobwebs blown away.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4237014707

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Beautiful day in North Yorkshire so out on the Tricross for a ride into York via back roads and bridleways. Stopped for a photo across York racecourse then back towards Tadcaster for a Cappuccino and Bacon Butties at The Lemon Tree. 32.8 miles with an average of 14.2mph, filthy bikes but a lovely ride out.

Last edited:
Beautiful day in North Yorkshire so out on the Tricross for a ride into York via back roads and bridleways. Stopped for a photo across York racecourse then back towards Tadcaster for a Cappuccino and Bacon Butties at The Lemon Tree. 32.8 miles with an average of 14.2mph, filthy bikes but a lovely ride out.

View attachment 554436

View attachment 554437

View attachment 554438

Those racecourse views are familiar: that's part of my regular morning ride when I visit my parents, in fact according to the map you very nearly cycled past my parents house.

13 rider

Guru
Finally did the ride I couldn't be bothered with last week . Targets for the day do 100km for the monthly challenge , climb Kings hill thanks to Simon Warren's top Midlands climbs app and grab 4 tricky velo viewer squares .Out the door at 0730 and it's nice an light thanks to the clock change . Anstey ,Rothley ,Syston ,Barkby ,Hungarton and across the A47 into Billesdon and the terrain now is going to be constantly rolling from here . Gaulby ,Ilston on the hill ,Nosely then an evil steep hill into Gaulby then a drop followed by another steep climb out of the village had to do a detour off the route here as Ridewithgps tried to send me down a rough farm road . So onto Cranoe to get back to Hallaton and back on route . A long drag up Belcher's hill to the village of Stockerston . Then the climb of Kings hill 1.21 miles avg 4% max 20% . A nice steady climb which I took steadily fearing the 20% bits round the switchback where I think the 20% was as it flattened out from here certainly easier than expected . Fantastic views over the Welland valley at the top . Into Uppingham and a short half a mile along the A47 and back to grab a velo viewer square . On to Riddlington down a deadend road and onto a gravel bridle path to grab 3 veloviwer squares . Dropping down out of the village I could see lots of people in a field on top of the next hill . As I crested the hill there was cars parked everywhere the reason ,pick your own pumpkins . Lots more up and down to Somerby which lead on the the fast descent of Burrough hill . Gaddesby and back on familiar roads home ,slightly extended the route home to rack up 80 miles with 5085 ft of upness . I was really feeling it today hence the avg of 14.8 mph
Ride 100 km tick
Ride Kings Hill tick
4 awkward velo viewer squares tick
So missions accomplished . Really nice conditions despite a blustery breeze

Last edited:
Top Bottom