Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Eary morning rain showers cleared out of the way giving the opportunity to get out for a ride. First of all though having wanted to tinker with the Raleigh's saddle on so many rides I had decided to try a swap and fit the B17N that I couldn't earlier in the year as it was in use elsewhere.

My loop out to Cardington via Folly Bank seemed like a good test route for this, so I set out into a warmer headwind than yesterday and past a long line of traffic on the A49 (temporary traffic lights yet again). This saddle felt good from the off and in the end I only made one adjustment after initial setting up.

I got on reasonably well despite riding into the wind and the climb of Folly Bank was at a good steady pace, apart from when a lorry overtook me near the top of the climb and immediately came to a halt so the driver could check his directions.:blink: Shortly after he turned off heading up towards Yell Bank - hope he's got the right way as turning round will be really tricky up there.:laugh:

I descended to Cardington and, after taking some snapshots, headed out of the village towards Longville and Hughley (through some freshly cut thorns, although I didn't see any in the tyres when I checked). A recumbent trike was spotted near Church Preen School. I had hoped that the wind would be giving some good assistance on this stretch but it apparently had changed from the south-westerly I'd been riding into, to more of a westerly which is a cross-wind at this point - it had also gone noticably cooler than earlier on.

With the hilly route yesterday and having pushed on quite well early in this ride I started to feel low on energy by the point where I turn near Harley. The pace slowed on the way to Harnage Grange and Harnage, apart from on the nice bit of descending. At Cound, flag of the day was that of the United Nations.

Like last time I came this way I took a left at Cound Stank, heading towards Pitchford but this time the wind didn't ease up for me so it was a bit of a plod to Cantlop and into Condover via the road closure (having to beware of cables lying across the road).

I didn't fancy slogging into the wind up to the main road this time or trying to filter past frustrated people in the queue, so headed over Lyth Hill, having to avoid the cars coming this way to avoid the traffic. On the steepest part of the climb I got "Come on, you can make it" from a passing walker.:laugh:

32.6 miles today at 13.4 mph average. I'd have liked to be quicker but that was as much as I could manage this time.

The roads were pretty filthy so the Raleigh has needed a good clean this afternoon. The Team Pro saddle has gone onto the Kingpin for the time being and on a very short test feels like it might suit that bike, so it'll be interesting to see how I get on with it.

At the top of the Folly Bank climb. (The bike is facing the direction I've come from just to confuse you.;))

A couple of shots from Cardington.

Between Harley and Harnage Grange.

View from Lyth Hill.

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
Another bright sunny morning but a bit windy in places. Set off with a clean bike towards Whixall over Dobsons Bridge past the school to Hollinswood, over the canal towards Fenns Bank turning back to Alkington over the swing bridge, up the bank to Hollinswood, Coton Wood, while on the Whitchurch road a tractor and trailer overtook me on a long bit of straight road giving plenty of room unfortunately didn’t seem to notice the oncoming traffic which had to stop!, through Prees passing the fire station to get to Edstaston, Paddolgreen, Poolhead, Foxholes with the guinea fowl safely in a gateway, back to Northwood and down the bank home. I now have a muddy bike again but managed to dodge the showers. 22.78 miles @15.3mph.
7941737B-15F5-40CB-8CB9-FBF278E9AD8A.jpeg

2CEB7648-1B1A-47A3-A360-1B2984412E4A.jpeg

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I haven't had time for a decent ride for the last few days so went out in the strong gusting wind today to do the 12 miles around the Airport loop. It was cold so really pushed as hard as I could- got back to find I'd managed a 17.1 mph average for the first time ever in my life, so having a mince pie and a cuppa!

Hoping the heavy rain will pass so we can go out for the afternoon on the tandem one day this week.
Discovered a great traditional cafe in Morpeth just by the art shop next to the bridge... looking forward to a cake and coffee there soon!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
View attachment 554720

At the top of the Folly Bank climb. (The bike is facing the direction I've come from just to confuse you.)

Nice bike. What make is that rack bag?
Thanks. ^_^

The bag is an Altura Arran. I've had a look at the Altura website and it appears the Arran2 only comes as a bar bag. The nearest equivalent in their range now is the Dryline2 which costs £60. More than double the price six years on.:ohmy:

Old jon

Guru
Oh dear, it’s raining. But I haven’t ridden the fixed this month, and I bought a new rain jacket last August. Better try both today, make it a solo ride. That way no one will hear me grumbling.

Trundle around Holbeck, realise I have forgotten to fit the mirrors I bought for the bike. Almost turned around then thought better of it, two starts on a rainy morning would be asking a lot. On to the towpath as far as Viaduct Road, cross the river and start the long way up to the Ring Road at Lawnswood. Stay on the A660 all the way through Bramhope and to the Dyneley Arms.

The twiddle down Pool Bank was a bit restrained I thought, but the garthing tells me 27.2 mph, and who am I to argue? Sort of happy I did not try to freewheel though. Turn left onto the A659, it is quite a while since I have munched by Otley’s maypoles. Also a while since I have ridden this route, but little has changed, and the two and a bit mile gasp up Leeds Road away from Otley certainly stays the same.

Back through Bramhope, faster in this direction, and at the end of the village turn left onto Kings Road for a little more climbing. Which gives the descent by the eastern side of Golden Acre Park, which was quiet today. All the way past Adel dam and then the church before returning to the A660. Then Headingley to Kirkstall and the towpath again, back to Leeds centre, almost.

Home via the Hunslet roadworks, which are beginning to look almost finished. The last little uphill before completing thirty one miles and 1460 feet of upness. Big smile, ‘cos I am still dry despite the almost continuous rain, well, heavy drizzle then. But the weather did not spoil the ride at all, aren’t I lucky?

Odd, Garthings don't show the rain . . .

27102020.jpg

2710elev.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Not a great start to the day - computer keyboard broke then I got bitten by the dog. I did have a weather window though so got out to try and lift the mood. The wind was cold, pretty blustery and coming from the south-west which limited the routes available if I didn't want to finish into the wind so I tried a variation of my Pulverbatch, Wilderley, Dudgeley route.

Knowing the roads would be damp and muddy I took the knockabout bike and headed over Lyth Hill to Annscroft before working my way round the base of the hill to Exford's Green and Stapleton. It was a plod on the bits with a headwind at first but seemed a little easier once the muscles had properly warmed up. Lyth Hill was very popular with people out for walks and as I dropped down the other side I passed a few cyclists (I didn't think that there would be many).

From Stapleton I took the lane through Moat heading for Church Pulverbatch. There were a few other vehicles about in the first mile or so but quieter after that as often seems to be the case. The one vehicle I didn't want to meet was a tractor cutting hedges but unfortunately there was one just outside Church Pulverbatch. The tyres seem okay though.

In Pulverbatch itself I headed onto my usual route through Wilderley and Smethcott. On the descent out of Smethcott it is tempting to just release the brakes and let the bike flow down the hill but there are a few blind corners that make that a bad idea. Today something made me a bit more cautious of these corners than usual which proved to be good as I came round the one to find my way blocked by a couple of horses and riders coming the other way. As I was taking it easy there was no drama at all about coming to a halt but my sudden appearance did made one of the horses jump.

Down to the church at Leebotwood there was a bit more traffic than I'm used to seeing but it was quiet after that (if you discount the very buzzy moped that came the other way not far from Highfield :laugh:).

After crossing the A49 I had the wind behind me and made good progress through Hollyhurst. Pausing to allow an oncoming Genus van past on the way to Leasowes the driver gave me a warning that the road was seriously muddy. I thanked him and said I'd be careful, but it turned out to be slightly less slippy than a few days ago - worst thing was that the bike is now really filthy again.

The roads were cleaner after Longnor then I got held up at the Hergest Croft turning where I found a pickup parked to block the road. Cattle were being moved between fields so I had to be patient and wait my turn. While waiting it started to spot with rain and looking around there was quite a lot of dark cloud rolling in so I made a dash for it as best I could once the road was cleared.

Between Ryton and Condover it had clearly rained heavily quite recently as there were orange tinted streams flowing along the road in places. I got wet but the showers were never heavy for very long at a time. I had to wait a little bit for a gap in the traffic on the A49 but when one came I almost had the road to myself for the short stretch I stayed on it.

27.6 miles at 12.3 mph average. Keyboard fixed with a bit of soldering. The dog has forgotten everything about earlier and now wants a fuss off me (or better still a walk .:rolleyes:

Looks nice from Lyth Hill this morning.

Muddy lane at Moat Farm.

Last time I stopped here it was summer, the hedges were verdant and the crops looked lush and green. Today it made California Dreamin' by the Beach Boys pop into my head.:laugh:

Somewhat later on, I've crossed the A49 and paused for a drink in a gateway with a view of Caer Caradoc.

Rural traffic hold up.

Caer Caradoc and the Long Mynd ought to be in the background of this photo. Time to get a move on.

Getting rained on again.

Last edited:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Just enough time, between sorting out my mum's new walk-in shower and a contract site meeting, to go for a ride along the Newcastle Quayside via Newburn and Heaton just over 24 miles and no rain though it's chucking it down now! Even found some new leafy cycling paths between Newburn and Scotswood!

I always love the view down the river from the Newcastle side- 6 bridges in one photo!

[Edit: Just checked my Cyclemeter ride log and it says I've ridden 1001 miles since the 23rd March lockdown which was a surprise!]

Attachments

• IMG_1007.jpg
    IMG_1007.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1014.jpg
    IMG_1014.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1015.jpg
    IMG_1015.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Jules H was at the meet in Upton. We took to the lanes when a shower kicked off. We sheltered under the canopy at Rye Cross. Onward after the shower took us to Dymock and the lovely run through the autumnal woods. Superb colour. I took a bit of a gamble entering the Gorsely triangle. Somehow I managed to feel my way through to emerge on the lane for Linton. More rain sent us to the church for shelter and sandwiches. The rain continued and cold was setting in so we decided to head homeward. So over to Kempley and on back to Dymock the rain stopped and the sun lit up a rainbow. We retraced from Dymock but were forced to halt when a thorn punctured my rear tyre. Sorted we took our lanesy run back towards Upton. Just the usual lanes homeward for me to complete a ride in weather of at least 3 seasons. 58 smiles

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Bike time has been limp recently for reasons personal and general. Tuesday night I was supposed to see some mates but a few cursory beers and some other ill-advised ingestions at home made me feel crap so I gave it a miss. Thanks to misery, boredom and Co-op's squiffy stock control dinner had manifested as a bag of cheese and onion rolls and a bag of donuts :rolleyes: By 23:00 I was sick of vegetating on the sofa and had no chance of getting to sleep thanks to my carb-loaded "meal" so dragged the Raleigh out for a ride around town. Clothing was a bit of a gamble but the alleged 7 degree temp was no issue with light walking trousers, base layer, fleece, light gloves and my cycle cap. About 16 increasingly asthmatic miles were covered, which was great for the mental health as it was so peaceful.

I'm thinking that (temp and weather permitting) riding at night in winter has benefits as the absence of light makes it look less bloody miserable...

Yesterday I woke up feeling horrible and decided to go and get some eggs, so headed out on the CdF in Tuesday night's clothes minus the fleece. The sky was largely clear when I left, but it was damned windy and the ride initially further spoiled by the selfish arseholery of some other road users. I did see a lot of cyclists though and they were uncharacteristically friendly (I think pretty much managed some sort of greeting).. I also saw a chap on what I think was one of last year's 853 CdF frames; not sure if the irony of my "nice bike" comment was noted.

Eggs scored from the egg shed I decided to extend the ride as usual; hoping that I could skirt around the black clouds looming around me. Happens I couldn't, and what started as a few spots of rain with blue skies ahead quickly degenerated into biblical wind and rain with brooding dark skies in every direction. I considered heading home but having had a gutfull of the world recently and wishing to give it the finger in no uncertain terms I defiantly followed my normal route; figuring some physical suffering would make a welcome change to the grind of being at the house with my ex.

After maybe half an hour I was pretty comprehensively soaked, but the weather cleared and I actually dried out a bit over the remainder of the ride. I think this was the first time I've spent any time out on "proper" rides and got drenched, and while obviously not pleasant it really wasn't as bad as I'd anticipated... my only experience of rain being when walking I suppose, and not working hard enough to keep myself warm.

Anyway, the most "challenging" 37 miles I've done for a long time and I've been thoroughly rinsed all day; culminating in over 10hrs sleep last night; for which I feel a bit better this morning :smile:

Last edited:

footloose crow

Über Member
and the ride initially furtherspoiled by the selfish arseholery of some other road users
It has been my impression that since lockdown ended the standard of driving has dropped, there is more selfish driving, careless passing and general lack of thought than I remember from 'before the pandemic'. We seem more divided than ever before as a nation, less bothered about other people, more willing to run me down or shout abuse!

Wafter, I hope things work out for you soon. It does get better. Keep on riding.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
It has been my impression that since lockdown ended the standard of driving has dropped, there is more selfish driving, careless passing and general lack of thought than I remember from 'before the pandemic'. We seem more divided than ever before as a nation, less bothered about other people, more willing to run me down or shout abuse!

Wafter, I hope things work out for you soon. It does get better. Keep on riding.
Thanks - I appreciate your support and likewise I hope you continue to be on the up after your off a while ago :smile:

Tbh I'm not sure about the standard of driving; it was obviously a lot nicer when there were hardly any cars on the road, but I can't say as I've noticed any change in the "mostly OK, some muppets and the odd dangerous scumbag" presentation of driver conduct.

I totally agree about the division though; the irony makes me sick when I read the headlines of the papers parrotting our dear leader's "we're in this together" / "we need solidarity to get through this" rhetoric, when in fact him and his party have only ever sought to divide our nation along whatever fault lines they can exploit in order to pursue their own agenda. The pandemic certainly seems to have made this worse; and laid even more bare the division between those at the bottom whose struggle has only intensified, while those at the top continue to get rich through exploiting the misfortune of others and worse rampant corruption :angry:

Last edited:

colly

Re member eR
I set off at about 10am. A bit overcast, windyish and a few spots of rain. Mrs Colly asked if it was worth going out, maybe I should wait a bit.
'Nah' says I, 'It'll be ok. Looks like it will brighten up.'
A loop down past Oakwood Clock and what used to be 'The Empire' then up across Oakwood Lane to head north. Head north into the rain that is. By the time I got to the top of Wellington Hill water was filling my boots and the wind had already picked up.
But really, once you are wet, you are wet. A little more here or there makes no difference.
My route took me all the way up the quiet A58 to Wetherby and sticking with the north bound theme I pressed on up the very quiet A168 all the way to Walshford. Heading east through Hunsingore and into Cattal the rain came on in earnest. Quite painful on the face.
A right over the little bridge in Cattal and I was heading south towards Bickerton and Walton. Now into the wind my effort had to increase considerably. Down through, Walton and Thorpe Arch, home of the British Library, and into Boston Spa. Over the bridge and up the hill to the busy high street, then a left towards Clifford then down to Bramham.
Over the A1M towards Thorner and through the famous Wothersome. Famous only for it's dip. Skirting Bramham Park I dropped into Thorner down Church Hill. Past the church, which was sounding it's bells, along the high street and up Sandhills.
Bramley Grange, Redhall and then back down Wellington Hill and to home.
Once in I was ticked off for dripping water all over the kitchen.
Going in that direction always seems like a flat route. Not as flat as I imagined given metrics on Garmin. Even more surprising was an average speed of 16.8mph. Unheard of for me tbh. That raises the question, just how accurate are devices like Garmin?
After a ride, any ride, I feel lifted and glad I got up and out no matter the weather.

35.0 miles and a surprising 1800 ft of up.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/58308237

bluenotebob

Veteran
From tomorrow I will only be allowed out on my bike once a day, for one hour maximum and limited to 1 kilometre from home….so I was determined to try and make the most of my ‘Last Day Of Freedom’.

I stayed fairly close to home, visiting some favourite places for possibly the last time this year.

It was a gusty and drizzly day .. the nice weather won’t arrive until the kids are back at school and we’re well into the Second Lockdown. Oh, well.

First ride (in the rain) took me out E on a loop to la Plaisance then due W to Evriguet. S then into the face of the wind – a loop around Guilliers, then back N again up to Kerminy. Back home via St Brieuc-de-Mauron.

A quick sandwich, a refill of the bidon, camera into my day bag – then back out again into the wind.

Up to Brignac, then a loop around to the N via Corbinais, Villot and la Riaye. Back into Brignac then S to Kerminy again, and then home.

55.86km today – so I shall award myself a point (probably my last point of the year).

They started harvesting the maize on the 16 September – and they still haven’t finished .. the wind turbines at Ménéac in the background

A pleasant view looking N from near la Corbinais

The chateau at la Riaye

Top Bottom