Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
Had some time today so took Mr M’s new e bike for a spin (first had a wee shot on Sunday).
Mr M said his new bike is not what he thought it’d be as doesn’t go fast enough :banghead:
He likes to cycle as fast as he can whereas I prefer trundling along enjoying the sights and sounds.
Dull, cold and a bit breezy today, (not the kind of conditions I’d usually enjoy on a bike).
The bike is heavy but feels just like riding my Trek MTB but with some oomph!
Just zoomed up the hills :ohmy:
Love it :wub:
Away for 90 minutes but went further than usual in this time, also felt I got a reasonable work out too.

Kryton521

Über Member
Tested to the almost extreme my new wet proof jacket. Very happy with it. Unusual for me, but in spite of driving wind and howling winds, stopped to take a selfie. [hate selfies at the best of times!].
Got home, checked Strava, added photo, added a description of the ride........ Deleted it! Had a couple of PBs as well!!!

SGG on a bike

Had a bit of time today to get out for a ride (finally). Steady plod along for just over 30 miles. Out through Somerleyton to St Olaves, over the Haddiscoe bridge on the A143 before turning right onto the quiet back road route to Loddon. Stop for lunch and head back roughly the same route reversed.

Haddiscoe Bridge

Interesting tree in church grounds at Thorpe.

And the route...

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
With a dryish forecast for today and the ones for the weekend looking horrible I felt the need to get out. A quick clean and oil for the chain and I got out on the knockabout bike into a warmer than expected day, aiming to do my Longnor, Acton Burnell, Cressage, Walcot, Upton Magna route.

I headed over Lyth Hill at the start and dropped down to Condover, having to wave a driver past at one point as pulling right in to the verge and almost coming to a halt at the point where the road widens apparently wasn't enough of a hint I was allowing them to overtake.:giggle:

After rain earlier the roads were wet and frequently muddy. Another hazard was that the hedge cutters were out. I was fortunate at Longnor that the tractor I saw hadn't actually started yet (the driver was just putting the warning signs out) but the one just after Frodesley and the one at Acton Burnell were in full flow. Fortunately I managed to avoid picking any thorns up as far as I could see when checking at my next drink stop.

While pausing for a photo at Cound Moor a few spots of rain started to fall. I carried on hoping it would blow past but about a mile down the road it was starting to come down properly so I pulled in and found the scenery obscured by a curtain of rain coming up behind me. The waterproofs went on and I decided to reassess the ride. I couldn't tell whether this was just a shower or if i was something more substantial rolling in but having been caught out before I decided this time to take a left and go the shorter way through Harnage and Cound.

I rolled out of the rain around Harnage and dropping down the hill it looked like it had been just a shower after all - oh well, never mind. The flag of the day at Cound was that of Turkey which with hindsight seems oddly coincidental (the earthquake Turkey suffered today occurred about 40 minutes after I'd passed the flag).

At Cound Stank I decided to risk shedding the waterproof layers which was just as well as I was overheating. I used a not-too-busy A458 into Cross Houses and had a driver wave me across the junction for Berrington Hall even though it was his right of way, which was friendly of him. Somewhere around here I picked up a thorn in the front tyre :angry: and decided to leave it alone in the hope it would plug the hole until I got home.

Returning to Condover, the headwind seemed stronger than I had been expecting from the forecast and wasn't coming from a particularly favourable direction for the dash up to the A49 so I decided to retrace my steps over Lyth Hill (less traffic this way).

25.5 miles at 12.8 mph average. Shorter than the route I'd set out to do but it takes the mileage for the week up to 112 so I'm happy. The thorn I picked up turned out to be much shorter than expected so hopefully I've got away with that one.

Crossing Lyth Hill at the start.

I took this for the autumn colour at Cound Moor but it came out a bit dark.

Reassessing the ride at the junction for Harnage.

A damp portrait of the bike with the Wrekin as the backdrop.

Overlooking the nature reserve at Venusbank.

View to the Lawley and Caer Caradoc from near Kingstreet. The speck in the sky was a buzzard soaring on the breeze.

Old jon

Guru
Grey again, we should have a colour called October. But it is warm and the sky ain’t dripping. By the time I wheeled the Spa out it was starting to though. Riding in the rain seems to be addictive, maybe.

So, it is exploring time again. Someone had a route starting from the posh gates at Roundhay Park, ride through that and then quite a maze of cycle tracks which somehow took us via Pontefract Lane to Rothwell, then through Carlton (not a bike) to Stanley. After that Bottom Boat to Methley, between those two there was only one place I recognised. A pub.

St Aiden’s next, sort of country park, said the sign, decorated with a dragline excavator and a few lakes. We refuelled by Bowers Lake, I think. We restarted and my geography was rejigged yet again. I had not realised we were so close to Little Preston. It is an education, looking at a map. Head towards Wakefield for a while and turn right onto Jinny Moor Lane. A more or less direct route to Temple Newsam House followed as a prelude to some serious squiggling to reach Primrose Valley Park.

Find Wyke Beck, follow that back to Easterly Road and all too soon we are back at Roundhay Park, by the tradesman’s gate. I left the others here for my way back home via Crown Point Bridge and Hunslet. Forty enjoyable miles, the weather was reasonably kind, and 1800 feet going up, which seems a lot. But the elevation trace has most of the ride below sea level! Garthings, you have to laugh.

30102020.jpg

3010elev.jpg

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
24 miles [again!] but this time on the tandem with Mrs A_T- out to Matfen for tea and cake.

Lovely westerly breeze home so 15mph av. out and 17.6mph back!

Set out with 60 miles of electric-assist available, got home with 116 miles available! I love this Shimano 8100 motor.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Yes!!!! NYCC have been patching pot holes, not that I realised until after making my avoid the pot holes turn en route to Asda on the ebike this afternoon post (home) work. New firmware on the ebike and it flies, even with the assistance switched off:eek:

Last edited:
Tested to the almost extreme my new wet proof jacket. Very happy with it. Unusual for me, but in spite of driving wind and howling winds, stopped to take a selfie. [hate selfies at the best of times!].
Got home, checked Strava, added photo, added a description of the ride........ Deleted it! Had a couple of PBs as well!!!
I'm after a good recommendation for a rain jacket, what type? I would have been out this week if I had one ^_^

13 rider

Guru
Been off work all week and managed to rack up 140 miles dodging the weather successfully mainly by riding early . Today rides was an extended version of my 50km Wymeswold loop . Set off at 0930 and soon found out I was overdressed it was warm for a change had to stop after 5 miles to remove my buff and ear warmer .On the descent into Wymeswold I could hear a group chatting away were catching me as they past me the lead rider said "hello again" ,I was slightly puzzled as I had seen no other riders this morning ,Then I recognized his kit and realised we had rode a few miles together on Saturday as I caught him up that time and we chatted away and found we lived a couple of villages apart . So are paths crossed again about 15 miles away from our last meeting, small world . Had a nice draft sitting just off the back of the group of 4 until they turned off . Into Barrow and starting do the maths to get the mileage up to 41 so an extended route home via Sileby ,Rothley and Swithland . Home with 41.2 miles in the bag ,why 41 miles ? Because it took my monthly total to 1000.8 miles. Probably the nicest ride of the week in the best weather

@Grant Fondo I can recommend the gore shakedry waterproof ,expensive but it works

Been off work all week and managed to rack up 140 miles dodging the weather successfully mainly by riding early . Today rides was an extended version of my 50km Wymeswold loop . Set off at 0930 and soon found out I was overdressed it was warm for a change had to stop after 5 miles to remove my buff and ear warmer .On the descent into Wymeswold I could hear a group chatting away were catching me as they past me the lead rider said "hello again" ,I was slightly puzzled as I had seen no other riders this morning ,Then I recognized his kit and realised we had rode a few miles together on Saturday as I caught him up that time and we chatted away and found we lived a couple of villages apart . So are paths crossed again about 15 miles away from our last meeting, small world . Had a nice draft sitting just off the back of the group of 4 until they turned off . Into Barrow and starting do the maths to get the mileage up to 41 so an extended route home via Sileby ,Rothley and Swithland . Home with 41.2 miles in the bag ,why 41 miles ? Because it took my monthly total to 1000.8 miles. Probably the nicest ride of the week in the best weather

@Grant Fondo I can recommend the gore shakedry waterproof ,expensive but it works
Ok cheers :okay:

AndreaJ

Veteran
Grey, breezy and actually quite warm here this morning and ignoring the weather warning for rain today I had time for a longer ride. The farmer was cutting the hedge over the lane from my house although he only did the field side today there were a few big bits of hedge to dodge as I headed out towards Northwood, Bettisfield, Breadon Heath, Welshampton, up to Coptiviney where the rain had actually washed the usual filthy lane clean carried on into Ellesmere, past Ellesmere College to Lee, Bagley, Weston Lullingfields, Baschurch, turned past the schools to Eyton over the railway to Myddlewood where the wind was making the usually easy route to Marton hard work, turned back to Burlton, Brown Heath a longer way through Loppington and turned back to Wolverley and home. 34.08miles @15.1mph. The roads are really filthy now with mud and mushed up leaves and both me and the bike were plastered in it- not a good look even the dogs weren’t impressed! Only saw 2 other cyclists, a few dog walkers and a horse rider.
E436779A-B818-40F9-AABB-5B01D9E99C68.jpeg

galaxy

Veteran
Hello all, i`ve not posted for a while, life just seems so hectic at the Moment. Had a Friday off and a few errands to run. So Mrs Galaxy and I jumped on the Mountain bikes as our lanes lanes are really muddy due to the Tractors and lots of hedge cutting. First job was to go see a Neighbour and Friend to price up a plastering Job for him. That also turned into a Cuppa and 2 home made apple Muffins. This visit had us enroute to pick up some milk and Tea bags for a neighbour who is sheilding awaiting a Covid Test. Then a route passing the local Churches. Warn enough, cloudy but no rain and a little Windy in Places.
Really enjoyable ride.

Top Bottom